Horrible Scenario For 2017......

Bill from NYC

If the Bills re-sign Gilmore and oust Tyrod, the following is what we are looking at next season in terms of salaries. I am going to list the 4 highest paid players, the guys who will eat up a HUGE portion of our cap space. Please do correct me if I forgot to mention someone who makes as much as those I am listing.

1) Marcel Dareus - A DT with substance, psychological, and perhaps conditioning issues.

2) Gilmore - A CB with tools who plays a very tentative game and isn't great in coverage.

3) Jerry Hughes - A talented pass rusher who seems to lack discipline on the field. I for one think that a good coach would elevate his play.

4) Shady McCoy - A talented RB with miles. He is a huge talent but he is aging and plays at a position which is fading in importance.

Now toss in a GM who habitually trades away draft picks and you have yourself a hot mess. Is there anyone who thinks we can win with this? I hope that people continue to buy tickets, but this is a tough sell.

Say what you will about Tim Graham but he nailed it with his recent article. The situation just isn't acceptable and the entire coaching staff and front office need to be swept away.

Edited by Bill from NYC

If the Bills re-sign Gilmore and oust Tyrod, the following is what we are looking at next season in terms of salaries. I am going to list the 4 highest paid players, the guys who will eat up a HUGE portion of our cap space. Please do correct me if I forgot to mention someone who makes as much as those I am listing.

1) Marcel Dareus - A DT with substance, psychological, and perhaps conditioning issues.

2) Gilmore - A CB with tools who plays a very tentative game and isn't great in coverage.

3) Jerry Hughes - A talented pass rusher who seems to lack discipline on the field. I for one think that a good coach would elevate his play.

4) Shady McCoy - A talented RB with miles. He is a huge talent but he is aging and plays at a position which is fading in importance.

Now toss a GM who habitually trades away draft picks and you have yourself a hot mess. Is there anyone who thinks we can win with this? I hope that people continue to buy tickets, but this is a tough sell.

Say what you will about Tim Graham but he nailed it with his recent article. The situation just isn't acceptable and the entire coaching staff and front office need to be swept away.

A clean sweep and a fresh new start would be an easier sell to the fan base. As far as player personnel the Bills are tied to 3/4 of the players listed above for at least another season. I'd let Gilmore and TT go, they both need a visit to OZ. One to find a heart, and the other to find a brain.

Now toss in a GM who habitually trades away draft picks and you have yourself a hot mess. Is there anyone who thinks we can win with this? I hope that people continue to buy tickets, but this is a tough sell.

I am content with those 4 being our best paid players.

1) a huge talent who can be the best interior penetrator in the league if deployed correctly by a new staff.

2) a top 10 corner in a passing league who has been our best player the last 5 weeks and one of our most consistent over the past 4 years.

3) you gotta pay your pass rushers.

4) done to death. You know my view.

I am happy that 3 of those 4 are under contract. Gilmore is gone...

The team with the best record in the league is riding their running game hard. Le'veon Bell just put up 300 yards of total offense on us. The Titans and Raiders have turned their clubs around with running games that bludgeon their opponents. The Chiefs have the best record in the league over the last 20 games. Can people realize it's 2016 and the league is not Arena Football like everyone was convinced we were headed towards a couple of years ago.

I am content with those 4 being our best paid players.

1) a huge talent who can be the best interior penetrator in the league if deployed correctly by a new staff.

2) a top 10 corner in a passing league who has been our best player the last 5 weeks and one of our most consistent over the past 4 years.

3) you gotta pay your pass rushers.

4) done to death. You know my view.

Then we should be winning lots of games next season!!! :)

The most horrible scenario would be another year of Rex. He needs to go. I hope the Pegs see that and act accordingly. Keep Brandon out of the actual football operations and let Whaley pick his own coach. If the owners have a problem with that then let Whaley go and bring in a guy you do trust to hire his own coach. Either way, keep the marketing guy out of the f*cking process. Sh*t or get off of the pot.

Then we should be winning lots of games next season!!! :)

As ever..... the task is finding a Quarterback, but my view is those 4, Sammy and Glenn are a really solid base of highly paid players who contribute at cornerstone positions (running back apart which I agree isn't but Shady is such a dynamic play maker that until you have to pay the Quarterback I think you can carry).

A better coach would help too, especially with Darues and Hughes which I think you agree with.

RB sure made a difference yesterday

Yes, running backs do mean more in inclement weather. I rode this contention to the ground for many years.

The truth is that once they gave offenses the middle of the field it became a passing league. Remember what players such as Lott and Atwater used to do to "defenseless" receivers on incomplete passes? I thank God more were not killed. Now, that has become a huge fine that the player himself must pay.

Overall, I stick by this post. Whaley spends money foolishly and it causes us to lose football games and have discussions such as these.

A better coach would help too, especially with Darues and Hughes which I think you agree with.

I do agree GB.

Dareus needs discipline. He had it at Alabama. I really do know it is different in the NFL, but the exclusion of the drug clause in his contract was absolutely insane. Where is there any accountability?

As far as Hughes, he is a fine player who I REALLY wanted the Bills to keep. Like I said in the OP, he needs better coaching.

1) Kills me watching him with Rex leading this team. Very talented but he's not the type of DT Rex needs.

2) Can be lockdown at times and again I think he would be better without Rex. If we don't resign him and Rex is still HC, expect us to draft a corner early in the draft.

3) I don't think he works in this system.

4) Shady is easily a top 5 back in this league and he's not going anywhere.

I think Rex needs to go. Our defense continues to regress and it's time to for Pegulas to admit their mistake. Rex was a Pegula hire and needs to let Whaley do his job. Rex may be a "players coach" but he's not a coach that pays attention to detail. Right now, Rex is the problem but if Pegula does not realize that he needs to let his GM do his job we will have a bigger problem with this organization.

Check the link I have attached. Salary cap tool to analyze our current roster and what to anticipate for the upcoming seasons.

I think a lot of the overpaid contracts should be renegotiated or the overpaid players should be let go. I'm not seeing any hall of fame players on the roster. I'm not even seeing any pro-bowl caliber players. Shady comes closest but like you said, he has lots of miles and isn't getting younger. I watched this game and at this point in the season I've got to go where I don't want to go. This isn't a very good team and is not playoff ready. 8-8 is the best these guys can live up to.

I can't understand why Whaley isn't on the hot seat as well as Ryan.

Maybe when Lawson and Ragland get back the defense will improve, but I just don't see much happening that gives me much optimism.

The team with the best record in the league is riding their running game hard. Le'veon Bell just put up 300 yards of total offense on us. The Titans and Raiders have turned their clubs around with running games that bludgeon their opponents. The Chiefs have the best record in the league over the last 20 games. Can people realize it's 2016 and the league is not Arena Football like everyone was convinced we were headed towards a couple of years ago.

exactly. You 100% need a great running game. But, you also need a QB (Carr, Ben, etc) who can air it out when needed, or a shutdown D (KC).

I think a lot of the overpaid contracts should be renegotiated or the overpaid players should be let go. I'm not seeing any hall of fame players on the roster. I'm not even seeing any pro-bowl caliber players. Shady comes closest but like you said, he has lots of miles and isn't getting younger. I watched this game and at this point in the season I've got to go where I don't want to go. This isn't a very good team and is not playoff ready. 8-8 is the best these guys can live up to.

I can't understand why Whaley isn't on the hot seat as well as Ryan.

Maybe when Lawson and Ragland get back the defense will improve, but I just don't see much happening that gives me much optimism.

Because without Whaley's preseason moves this team would have 3 wins. He traded for McCoy. He obtained Alexander and Z. Brown when injuries hit the LB corp. Really the only thing someone can say about Whaley is that he hasn't found a QB. But there is no magical QB store where you can simply obtain one. Look at the QB's drafted last year. Who is playing well now. One of them: Dak. Who likely would not even be active if the first two QB's for Dallas got hurt. Also, Dak and Jones had similar grades coming into the draft.

The team has the top running attack in the league despite having the worst passing game. That equals talent on the OL, WR position (downfield blocking); and RB positions (Shady, Mike, etc).

Bill,

Good to see you back. If the Bills can get a QB worth a swagger, then suddenly the team will start winning. Look at Oakland. Also, I disagree that the RB is not an important position. The Dallas Cowboys are riding a rookie top-5 pick to the playoffs...and McCoy has been the real deal. The only playmaker on this team that tries!

exactly. You 100% need a great running game. But, you also need a QB (Carr, Ben, etc) who can air it out when needed, or a shutdown D (KC).

Because without Whaley's preseason moves this team would have 3 wins. He traded for McCoy. He obtained Alexander and Z. Brown when injuries hit the LB corp. Really the only thing someone can say about Whaley is that he hasn't found a QB. But there is no magical QB store where you can simply obtain one. Look at the QB's drafted last year. Who is playing well now. One of them: Dak. Who likely would not even be active if the first two QB's for Dallas got hurt. Also, Dak and Jones had similar grades coming into the draft.

The team has the top running attack in the league despite having the worst passing game. That equals talent on the OL, WR position (downfield blocking); and RB positions (Shady, Mike, etc).

Also, Dak is thriving behind the best OL in football. Our line could do nothing good yesterday.

RB sure made a difference yesterday

Poor coaching decision. Should have had Gillislee out there.

Bill, I addressed your two false assumptions in yet another thread where you also claim Whaley has "wasted" hundreds of millions of dollars, and has traded away oodles of top picks. Neither is true. It appears that the new era of "make stuff up and pretend it's true" has migrated from the political arena to even here.

Also, Dak is thriving behind the best OL in football. Our line could do nothing good yesterday.

Jacksonville showed the world that run-blitzing and paying no regard to giving up big plays in over-pursuit is the key to holding our run game in check. If you don't have a QB that can sting them with the mid-range passing game consistently, every team is going to do this.

Bill, I addressed your two false assumptions in yet another thread where you also claim Whaley has "wasted" hundreds of millions of dollars, and has traded away oodles of top picks. Neither is true. It appears that the new era of "make stuff up and pretend it's true" has migrated from the political arena to even here.

It makes no difference--we weren't going to beat them up front when they put 9 guys at the LOS and our QB is unable to back them off.

The biggest difference in the game is that Ben was willing to throw the ball down the field early--Pittsburgh had 150 passing yards in the first 20 minutes of game time...Buffalo had -14

Edited by thebandit27

The biggest difference in the game is that Ben was willing to throw the ball down the field early--Pittsburgh had 150 passing yards in the first 20 minutes of game time...Buffalo had -14

When you watch a TT and the Bills passing game it is so primitive compared to the rest of the league's offenses. You rarely see our qb go through progressions, rhythm passes, seam passes and throwing to the spot instead of to the receiver. It's just so simplistic in an era of sophistication. It's like playing checkers when the rest of the league is playing chess. It's sad and embarrassing.

Just for giggles.

1, Dareus - not cutting him cant move that contract so you are stuck. So where has he excelled. In a 1 gap 4-3 defense, so maybe go back to that you know put your good to great position in the best possible situation for success.

2. Gilmore - will have a smaller cap hit if re-signed (big obviously if tagged). However your evaluation of him is completely wrong. (and I am not sure I would extend him though).

3. Jerry Hughes - another guy that excelled in a 4-3 and then has fallen of in the Rex Ryan defense (coincidence). Go back to a 4-3 and watch him excel again. Also you could move on from him and even use him as trade bait his contract is not bad at all. (dead money being cut would save the Bills 2M) but can be traded and have less of a dead cap problem.

4. McCoy - best player on the team. And not bad of a cap hit for a top 3 RB, keep Gillislee and you still have a 1 two punch that can extend McCoy career.

Worst Case:

1) Rex is back

2) TT is back

3) AW retires

4) Marcel gets suspended for 10 games for another drug violation.

But there's more... it looks like Whaley will remain as GM, but here's what he needs to replace wth upgrades. As the current crop of positions I"m about to list aren't good enough:

HC -- Rex clearly gone, that's fine. I can't even imagine who I would want replacing him.

QB -- I want to love TT, but he's clearly not playing anywhere near last year's level... pretty much all season

WR (2) -- Woods, Goodwin and Harvin all probably gone. Hunter and Lewis have had no impact, only Sammy remains if healthy

RT -- We've talked about this all year

DT -- Kyle Williams has to be near the end

CB -- Gilmour gone and hasn't been that great all year, save a few INTs the last couple games, we can't possibly pay what he wants

SS -- A. Williams will retire, Bills should force it if he doesn't want to. We've struggled in the secondary throughout

That's 6-7 new starters mostly at high skill slots... and again, the current crop, even if healthy wasn't getting it done

Teams must also respect their passing game, you cannot stack the box against the Steelers like teams do the bills, they have a QB to make defenses pay. I think with tyrod you can play a 10-1 defense and survive

Still need more from our qb but you make an excellent point here IMO.

Good get rid of all of them. If we are going to suck we need to do it right and suck big, the browns arent worried about QB next year, they'll have the best in the draft. We need to win 2-4 games instead of 6-8 and get into the top 2 pics

Is that you Hillary? Getting around well these days?

I think that Whaley has wasted TONS of money and draft choices. If you don't agree, it does not mean I am spreading false news. It means we have opinions which differ.

Maybe we can get Jill Stein to mediate our difference of opinion. Can you give her a call? I think she's in Michigan.

Hey Bill, hope you are fairing well.

I think Rex Ryan had the right idea with a run first team but alas he was fighting a GM who doesn't put much worth in quality offensive linemen. Although the Buffalo Bills have the best rushing team in the league that is misleading as the QB is also a running QB who has 471 rushing yards himself, 6 rushing TD's.

Both Miami and now Pittsburgh manhandled that Buffalo offensive line. The Bills defensive line was also pushed all over the field at will. This is what it looks like when a bad team plays a good team that is about to make the playoffs.

The Buffalo Bills need to clean house with the entire FO in Brandon, Whaley, and the coaches all need to go. It was very disheartening to hear that these new owners have cooled on the idea of a czar, though.

Hey Bill, hope you are fairing well.

I think Rex Ryan had the right idea with a run first team but alas he was fighting a GM who doesn't put much worth in quality offensive linemen. Although the Buffalo Bills have the best rushing team in the league that is misleading as the QB is also a running QB who has 471 rushing yards himself, 6 rushing TD's.

Both Miami and now Pittsburgh manhandled that Buffalo offensive line. The Bills defensive line was also pushed all over the field at will. This is what it looks like when a bad team plays a good team that is about to make the playoffs.

The Buffalo Bills need to clean house with the entire FO in Brandon, Whaley, and the coaches all need to go. It was very disheartening to hear that these new owners have cooled on the idea of a czar, though.

People made the same argument last year, and it wasn't true then either.

When you remove QB rushing yards across the league, the Bills ranked 5th in the NFL in total rushing yards and 1st in YPC in 2015.

This year I've yet to do the work to remove QB yards for all teams, so let's look at it simply...

Buffalo leads the NFL with 2,010 rushing yards total, 5.4 YPC, and 24 rushing TDs.

When we remove Tyrod Taylor's rushing stats (76 car, 471 yds, and 6 TDs), the totals drop to 1,539 yards, 5.14 YPC, and 18 TDs, which would rank 2nd, 2nd, and 1st in the NFL, respectively.

The reason that Buffalo's offensive line cannot keep up is that teams are committing LBs and safeties to run blitzes every single down. If you are unable to burn them with quick, mid-range passes, they'll continue to do so.

Gilmore needs to go. He's always been overrated and won't be worth whatever he gets paid.

People love to say this without providing any context. Why is he overrated? How are you willing to support that stance?

People made the same argument last year, and it wasn't true then either.

When you remove QB rushing yards across the league, the Bills ranked 5th in the NFL in total rushing yards and 1st in YPC in 2015.

This year I've yet to do the work to remove QB yards for all teams, so let's look at it simply...

Buffalo leads the NFL with 2,010 rushing yards total, 5.4 YPC, and 24 rushing TDs.

When we remove Tyrod Taylor's rushing stats (76 car, 471 yds, and 6 TDs), the totals drop to 1,539 yards, 5.14 YPC, and 18 TDs, which would rank 2nd, 2nd, and 1st in the NFL, respectively.

The reason that Buffalo's offensive line cannot keep up is that teams are committing LBs and safeties to run blitzes every single down. If you are unable to burn them with quick, mid-range passes, they'll continue to do so.

People love to say this without providing any context. Why is he overrated? How are you willing to support that stance?

You make some good points that I won't dispute but let me ask you this: Don't you think that Tyrod makes defenses stay back just enough to give other runners a slight edge?

My point is that running quarterbacks mask offensive line problems. I have been posting this for almost 20 years, even way before the rule changes. As we both know, it's easier to block on running plays that pass plays. This is beyond dispute. The blockers know the count and get to fire out on runs. Yesterday, the pass blocking was piss poor. I don't blame Tyrod's bad performance solely on this, but I was unimpressed with the OL.

Overall, it is hard to rate our OL imo, and this includes Glenn. From the naked eye, I am unhappy with the right side. Last week I thought the OC actually looked good. I paid less attention yesterday because I had company and wasn't taking notes for my "thoughts." :)

I say it every year.....I want them to draft blockers. I know that QB is more important. Of course it is, but it never hurts to get better up front. I hope some of you draft freaks can find some good blockers. :) Cam Robinson is damn good but most posters will probably prefer a skill player. I guess we will know soon enough.

I don't think Cam Robinson is that good. Technique is sloppy, has success by just being bigger, stronger, faster.... that won't suffice in the NFL. I don't think this is a good OT draft.

I worry a bit about his personality but imo he can play. He is VERY agile GB. He moves extremely well and has great balance. I am anxious to see what how many reps he does with 225 at the combines.

Edit: Fwiw, he was a better player than Kujo the day he walked on the field. Kujo was a great kid, but Robinson has a big talent edge.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I worry a bit about his personality but imo he can play. He is VERY agile GB. He moves extremely well and has great balance. I am anxious to see what how many reps he does with 225 at the combines.

That is all the physical stuff. He is sloppy with his footwork and bends at the waist not the knee far too often for me. There is raw material there to work with no doubt and if it can be refined technically then you have a hell of a prospect on your hands.

At the moment I don't have him graded as high as any of my top 3 tackles last year.