If Not Rex Then Who ??

T master

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My logic is based on playoffs. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Did Rex make the postseason with a winning record last year with a bad QB? Oh, no. Case closed. BOB > The Rexit.

Tyrod isn't a bad QB. He's about average as a passer and well above average as a runner. I think he has done a standup job in the offense being run.

Tyrod isn't a bad QB. He's about average as a passer and well above average as a runner. I think he has done a standup job in the offense being run.

He's below average as a passer who can't deliver the ball with timing, anticipation and accuracy on a regular basis. If he can't make it happen from the pocket with any regularity then he's simply not the answer and that makes him a substandard QB IMO.

If some great HC came out of retirement to coach the Bills, I'd be all in favor of firing Rex.

But should we fire Rex to gamble on another retread with a mixed resume? Or some DC, OC, or college coach who's never been a head coach in the NFL?

I'm not convinced.

Most of the names suggested so far either (1) don't inspire much hope for a better result, or (2) aren't realistic.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Jim Leonhard -DB Coach Wisconsin

Rex will need him to play in the secondary with Ed Reed week 16.

Heck he may even be team captain against the Jets.

I know off topic but I couldn't resist.

As for the Harbaughs I rooted for the good one in the Super Bowl. The latest:

John leading the Ravens over the Phins last week.

Jim (Rex 2.0) stiil selling the idea he will beat The OSU.

A, Lynn - I'm still having issues with his back-to-back wildcat calls last week.

Coughlin gets a vote for czar. Getting up in years for the rigors of coaching.

HC - Cowher?

Edited by Uncle Joe

McDaniels or Patricia there's two. There is more though.

I think McDaniels is staying with the Patriots until Belichick steps down. Patricia doesn't seem like a HC to me.

Kyle Shanahan or Darrell Bevell would be my votes. We need someone that can develop a QB.

Kyle Shanahan isn't a bad thought but we need a strong defensive coordinator to come with him.

Rex will need him to play in the secondary with Ed Reed week 16.

Heck he may even be team captain against the Jets.

I know off topic but I couldn't resist.

As for the Harbaughs I rooted for the good one in the Super Bowl. The latest:

John leading the Ravens over the Phins last week.

Jim (Rex 2.0) stiil selling the idea he will beat The OSU.

A, Lynn - I'm still having issues with his back-to-back wildcat calls last week.

Coughlin gets a vote for czar. Getting up in years for the rigors of coaching.

HC - Cowher?

Cowher is not leaving the booth for anything.

name the great coaches who never had a pro bowl QB ?

it'll be a very short list.

Joe Gibbs had an ability to win with several different QBs in Washington. Yet think Rypien made the Pro Bowl the year they beat us in the Super Bowl.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Get real- the wide receivers are not good and too many defenders in the backfield. Taylor isn't Peyton Manning, but he isn't asked to be. Add some WR's, OLs and a coach who has a real defensive pedigree instead of a mythical one, and you'll be getting somewhere

Every coach in the history of the NFL has been evaluated by their record.

True enough. But good coaches with bad players don't win very much.

Marv Levy was a loser in KC but a winner in Buffalo.

Bill Belichick was a loser in Cleveland but a winner in New England.

I wish the Kraft family thought like you, evaluated Belichick on his losing record, and never hired him.

Get real- the wide receivers are not good and too many defenders in the backfield. Taylor isn't Peyton Manning, but he isn't asked to be. Add some WR's, OLs and a coach who has a real defensive pedigree instead of a mythical one, and you'll be getting somewhere

do NOT attempt to put this on the OL. look into the stats: taylor has the longest time holding the ball pre-pass, and also the most sacks.

Nah. Our OL is top 5 in the NFL and the bad WR's are getting open.

I truly hate saying this but I think Ryan will be here next year along with Whaley. The only change they may make is drafting a qb and/or signing a veteran qb and declaring an open qb competition. They'll let EJ go and maybe try to rework Tyrods contract imo. They will cite the injury excuse and the need for f'n continuity one more time. Unfortunately enough fans will buy off on this complete pile of dung.

0-16 to 10-6 in 3 years is a huge feat, IMO. Would say he's one of those coaches where overall record doesn't tell the whole story.

So what would you say is the story after the turnaround because he could not sustain it. IIRC, he was known for having undisciplined teams.

The thing that frustrates me the most about Rex is his complete refusal to actually acknowledge failures. Sure, he makes blanket statements about "not getting it done" but he coddles TT like he never makes a mistake and shoulder shrugs when asked questions like why he can't beat anyone with a winning record. This team shows no accountability for it's shortcomings and limps across the finish line in blowout losses without even putting up a fight.

Gary Patterson, David Shaw, Brian Kelly, Chris Peterson, Brett Beliema, PJ Fleck

Whatever else is in the prospectus for the new coach the Bills hire when they finally rid themselves of the atrocious Rex, he should be someone who would wear well for at least ten years, someone who is personally on an even keel, which is why I'd be intrigued by Shaw and Peterson. I don't think Kelly has the temperament for the pros -- he's even a little too wired for college. The other two guys I'm not up on.

If some great HC came out of retirement to coach the Bills, I'd be all in favor of firing Rex.

But should we fire Rex to gamble on another retread with a mixed resume? Or some DC, OC, or college coach who's never been a head coach in the NFL?

I'm not convinced.

Most of the names suggested so far either (1) don't inspire much hope for a better result, or (2) aren't realistic.

What other choices are there?

Football is a brutal contact sport. In order to get the most out of your players they have to have a coach that can convince them to go out be physical. So I would hire Ted Nolan. He always gets the most out of his players. I don't think it matters in the least whether he knows football or not.

Then I would go out and hire two ex-head coach's as the OC and DC. Guys that were great as coordinators but didn't make it as head coaches. A guy like Wade Philips for the D, and at the moment no one in particular for the Offense but I am sure others can come up with some good names. Then I would invert the pay scale by not paying the head coach the most. No offense to Ted but successful coordinators should be payed the most.

You don't put water in your beer, so why would you dilute the ability of a good coordinator by filling him with the duties of a head coach.

Football is a brutal contact sport. In order to get the most out of your players they have to have a coach that can convince them to go out be physical. So I would hire Ted Nolan. He always gets the most out of his players. I don't think it matters in the least whether he knows football or not.

Then I would go out and hire two ex-head coach's as the OC and DC. Guys that were great as coordinators but didn't make it as head coaches. A guy like Wade Philips for the D, and at the moment no one in particular for the Offense but I am sure others can come up with some good names. Then I would invert the pay scale by not paying the head coach the most. No offense to Ted but successful coordinators should be payed the most.

You don't put water in your beer, so why would you dilute the ability of a good coordinator by filling him with the duties of a head coach.

You forgot to use the 'sarcasm' font.