If Not Rex Then Who ??

T master

Top candidate is Anthony Lynn.

He's done well with this offense.......had bad moments in games but overall has done his job well...especially as a first time play caller......and he's a solid, smart, level headed, hard working coach with good support(like Parcells).

Rex isn't a lot of those things.

Not saying I'd love it but A. Lynn looks solid and he showed a pretty keen eye in knowing what changes to make from Roman's O and I bet he'd know who to bring in defensively to get more from this unit.

Under him I'd expect a more Mike Zimmer-esque 4-3.

I agree, Somebody's going to make him a HC soon. Why not here? And Yes, absolutely go back to the 4-3. This group is much better suited for that, and hopefully the next coach would get Donnie Henderson back to coach the secondary. They played so much better under him.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, beg belichick to come. Offer him whatever he wants. When he laughs in their face, immediately call Jim Harbaugh and do the same.

Funny but, therein lies the truth. There is no one else, give him another year draft defense and see what happens.

I agree, Somebody's going to make him a HC soon. Why not here? And Yes, absolutely go back to the 4-3. This group is much better suited for that, and hopefully the next coach would get Donnie Henderson back to coach the secondary. They played so much better under him.

I wonder what type of D Lynn would want if he was actually HC

I am very ready to move on from Rex

Top candidate is Anthony Lynn.

He's done well with this offense.......had bad moments in games but overall has done his job well...especially as a first time play caller......and he's a solid, smart, level headed, hard working coach with good support(like Parcells).

Rex isn't a lot of those things.

Not saying I'd love it but A. Lynn looks solid and he showed a pretty keen eye in knowing what changes to make from Roman's O and I bet he'd know who to bring in defensively to get more from this unit.

Under him I'd expect a more Mike Zimmer-esque 4-3.

hmmm.... sure. I'd be OK with that. The Rex D is being run on big time. The O sees the lightweight guys standing and then just run at the weaker side

Rex Ryan coaches old school. Ground and pound, play defense, minimize turnovers. That USED to be the recipe for success in the NFL 20-30 years ago. Now you need a forward thinking coach. Able to adapt during the game, make the necessary adjustments. This rarely happens. Teams with true franchise qbs are always in a game and usually in playoff contention year after year. Until the Bills have a true franchise QB they won't win. 17 years and quite frankly since Kelly retired makes this irrefutable logic.

You know a lot of HC failed in their First stop as BB

You know McDaniels failed in every stop not called New England right? You know every single person out of the BB coaching tree has failed as a HC with the only exception being O'Reilly in Houston where its too soon to tell, but he has a real uphill battle after that atrocious contract he gave an awful unproven QB in Brock.

McDaniels didn't just fail in Denver, it was atrocious. Then he failed miserably doing what he is supposed to do best, being an OC and was fired after 1 season before BB gave him his old job back to resurrect his career. The Patriots offense isn't any better or worse with or without him...the two times he wasn't in Bills system with one of the greatest QB's, and the winningest QB of all time now, he failed badly.

So what exactly about him instills confidence? He didn't save the NE offense, he didn't improve the NE offense, the NE offense didn't regress when he left, and he was awful when he wasn't in NE. All of that tells me the success in NE has nothing to do with him being there or not, and the only evidence of what HE can do is the resume he made for himself in Denver and St. Louis. Most people dont even know he was in St. Louis after the Denver fiasco, thats how irrelevant he was and how quick he got fired.

There are better choices with more upside and promise or established careers then a guy who was a clown without BB and Brady...neither of which skipped a beat without McDaniels.

You know McDaniels failed in every stop not called New England right? You know every single person out of the BB coaching tree has failed as a HC with the only exception being O'Reilly in Houston where its too soon to tell, but he has a real uphill battle after that atrocious contract he gave an awful unproven QB in Brock.

McDaniels didn't just fail in Denver, it was atrocious. Then he failed miserably doing what he is supposed to do best, being an OC and was fired after 1 season before BB gave him his old job back to resurrect his career. The Patriots offense isn't any better or worse with or without him...the two times he wasn't in Bills system with one of the greatest QB's, and the winningest QB of all time now, he failed badly.

So what exactly about him instills confidence? He didn't save the NE offense, he didn't improve the NE offense, the NE offense didn't regress when he left, and he was awful when he wasn't in NE. All of that tells me the success in NE has nothing to do with him being there or not, and the only evidence of what HE can do is the resume he made for himself in Denver and St. Louis. Most people dont even know he was in St. Louis after the Denver fiasco, thats how irrelevant he was and how quick he got fired.

There are better choices with more upside and promise or established careers then a guy who was a clown without BB and Brady...neither of which skipped a beat without McDaniels.

Looking like 2 playoff berths in 3 years, but "too soon to tell?'

McDaniels had exactly 1 stop.

Looking like 2 playoff berths in 3 years, but "too soon to tell?'

McDaniels had exactly 1 stop.

Nope, you are once again wrong as usual. He was the OC for the Rams after he was fired from Denver and was fired again after 1 season before returning back to NE

And as far as O'Reilly goes, he is 4 games over .500 in almost 3 years. Not exactly legendary. I am not saying he wont prove to be a good coach, I am saying its too soon to tell. In fact, if he loses out the next 4 he will be a .500 coach on 3 seasons. So again, too soon to tell. And its also WAY too early to say he will make the playoffs this year considering he is sitting at 6-6 and tied with the improving Titans and the Colts could be tied as well if they beat Jets tonight with Luck back. If he doesnt win his division, he most likely doesn't make playoffs like you assume he will this year. And I would bet on either the Titans or Colts to win that division over the Texans right now.

And he made playoffs because of how bad his division is, not because he built a power house.

And MORE importantly, if he proves to be a good coach then he will be the FIRST coach off the BB tree to do so. That is the point...for being one of the greatest HC in NFL history for a decade and a half, he has produced no assistants who went on to be good HC's outside of maybe O'Brien, who like I said, has only managed to be 4 games over .500 through 2 and 3/4 seasons, so its a little early to declare him a great NFL HC.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Nope, you are once again wrong as usual. He was the OC for the Rams after he was fired from Denver and was fired again after 1 season before returning back to NE

He wasn't an HC, which is what this thread is talking about.

Love how O'Brien is "too soon to tell" with his second straight year of leading the AFC South on his way to the postseason. Is back to back playoff appearances with garbage QB's good? Wait 5 more years before we know.

Edited by jmc12290

He wasn't an HC, which is what this thread is talking about.

Love how O'Brien is "too soon to tell" with his second straight year of leading the AFC South on his way to the postseason. Is back to back playoff appearances with garbage QB's good? Wait 5 more years before we know.

You are out of your mind. First, I said McDaniels has failed every where outside of NE, including a HC gig and what he does best, as an OC. He has failed as an OC when he didn't have BB and Brady...he has accomplished nothing without Brady and BB while neither BB or Brady missed a beat without McTurd.

And its so comical you are declaring the Texans the winner of their division when they are tied with the Titans, and likely tied with the Colts with a healthy Luck back against a bad Jets team tonight. They are not remotely close to a playoff lock. And if they dont win the division, their odds of making playoffs are similar to our odds...

My favorite part is that Rex is 6-6 and you want him fired, who you also say has a bad QB. But you also claim O'Brien is great because he has managed to get his team to 6-6 with a bad QB. HAHAHA I mean you can't make this crap up. By your logic, Rex is pretty damn good then because he made 2 AFC Championship games with a QB worse than Taylor and Brock, has the Bills at 6-6 with what you consider a bad QB this year, has also managed 6-6 without our star WR most the season, and got us to 8-8 last year with Taylor missing 2 games that EJ lost for us. So based on the criteria you are judging O'Brien on, Rex is a top coach in the NFL.

Oh, and did I mention, Houston is on a 3 game losing streak? But who cares right, they are clearly a shoe in for the playoffs despite a Titans team with a hot Mariota and Murray or a Colts team with a returning Luck.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Tom Muthaf-----in' Coughlin, -Dat's who! :lol:

Coughlin + Cardale = Playoffs -End of story.

I thought I heard there's mutual interest with Coughlin going back to Jacksonville for some role

It's tough to say right now who should replace Rex this off-season not knowing who might be free to look for a new job. It's a move that needs to be done before another year is wasted letting the clowns try to figure out football.

Let us just keep changing coaches every two three years, as doing the same thing over and over again changes everything.

and keeping around a complete failure/mistake is really going to be better? Rex Ryan has shown over many years here and with the Jets that he isn't a good HC, keeping him around hoping he finally figures things out is just going to set the team back further

You are out of your mind. First, I said McDaniels has failed every where outside of NE, including a HC gig and what he does best, as an OC. He has failed as an OC when he didn't have BB and Brady...he has accomplished nothing without Brady and BB while neither BB or Brady missed a beat without McTurd.

And its so comical you are declaring the Texans the winner of their division when they are tied with the Titans, and likely tied with the Colts with a healthy Luck back against a bad Jets team tonight. They are not remotely close to a playoff lock. And if they dont win the division, their odds of making playoffs are similar to our odds...

My favorite part is that Rex is 6-6 and you want him fired, who you also say has a bad QB. But you also claim O'Brien is great because he has managed to get his team to 6-6 with a bad QB. HAHAHA I mean you can't make this crap up. By your logic, Rex is pretty damn good then because he made 2 AFC Championship games with a QB worse than Taylor and Brock, has the Bills at 6-6 with what you consider a bad QB this year, has also managed 6-6 without our star WR most the season, and got us to 8-8 last year with Taylor missing 2 games that EJ lost for us. So based on the criteria you are judging O'Brien on, Rex is a top coach in the NFL.

Oh, and did I mention, Houston is on a 3 game losing streak? But who cares right, they are clearly a shoe in for the playoffs despite a Titans team with a hot Mariota and Murray or a Colts team with a returning Luck.

Rex hasn't made the playoffs in 7 years. BOB made them last year. Rex's team is all but eliminated this season. BOB is tied for first in his division.

By my logic, BOB > Rex, because Rex sucks.

Edited by jmc12290