If Not Rex Then Who ??

T master

Rex hasn't made the playoffs in 7 years. BOB made them last year. Rex's team is all but eliminated this season. BOB is tied for first in his division.

By my logic, BOB > Rex, because Rex sucks.

Of course it helps when your division includes the Colts, titans and jags....

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know McDaniels failed in every stop not called New England right? You know every single person out of the BB coaching tree has failed as a HC with the only exception being O'Reilly in Houston where its too soon to tell, but he has a real uphill battle after that atrocious contract he gave an awful unproven QB in Brock.

McDaniels didn't just fail in Denver, it was atrocious. Then he failed miserably doing what he is supposed to do best, being an OC and was fired after 1 season before BB gave him his old job back to resurrect his career. The Patriots offense isn't any better or worse with or without him...the two times he wasn't in Bills system with one of the greatest QB's, and the winningest QB of all time now, he failed badly.

So what exactly about him instills confidence? He didn't save the NE offense, he didn't improve the NE offense, the NE offense didn't regress when he left, and he was awful when he wasn't in NE. All of that tells me the success in NE has nothing to do with him being there or not, and the only evidence of what HE can do is the resume he made for himself in Denver and St. Louis. Most people dont even know he was in St. Louis after the Denver fiasco, thats how irrelevant he was and how quick he got fired.

There are better choices with more upside and promise or established careers then a guy who was a clown without BB and Brady...neither of which skipped a beat without McDaniels.

I'm not for McDaniels either- he has some traits I don't like (blind arrogance topping the list), but I wouldn't list his failure in Denver as a reason I wouldn't hire him. Just because he fails in one opportunity doesn't mean he wouldn't succeed later on. Look at Joe Torre and Marv Levy as examples

I'll get killed for this, but I'll be okay.

Schwartz wouldn't have brought Taylor in. Taylor was a downgrade from EJ.

With Schwartz's defense, as well as the vastly improved running game with Shady/TD Mike, EJ would have been good enough to win games.

Nope

I agree, Somebody's going to make him a HC soon. Why not here? And Yes, absolutely go back to the 4-3. This group is much better suited for that, and hopefully the next coach would get Donnie Henderson back to coach the secondary. They played so much better under him.

wait Hughes and Lawson are better suited for a 4-3 ?

I'm not for McDaniels either- he has some traits I don't like (blind arrogance topping the list), but I wouldn't list his failure in Denver as a reason I wouldn't hire him. Just because he fails in one opportunity doesn't mean he wouldn't succeed later on. Look at Joe Torre and Marv Levy as examples

How about failing in Denver then failing bad in St. Louis the next year and fired after 1 year there as the OC? Does two consecutive failures away from Brady and BB mean more than one, especially when one of those was in his alleged specialty as an OC?

Schwartz, but I would keep Rex another year.

Keep in mind the shine on Schwartz D has long faded this year...it started good and has been struggling since. So even though I do like him, he failed as a HC in Detroit, and had a bit of an over rated D here in Buffalo where we created sacks and Int's but we also still struggled to stop opponents when it mattered.

First of all, Pegula won't fire Rex.

Secondly, Rex is too good a politician to get fired at this point. He won't get fired until he goes 6-10 next year or 5-11 the year after. Rex is clearly a proven loser, but he is very clever and is a multi-millionaire even with his limited ability. Congrats Rex!

Brandon never wants to admit a mistake either, so he will not push for Rex to be fired. Pegula trusts Brandon and Whaley and believes they are top shelf managers so he will listen to them (wrongly)

It is too early to talk about a replacement. IMO, hiring Rex was a huge error in football terms, but successful short term as a public relations and ticket selling stunt. As long as Brandon keeps selling tickets, nothing will change.

This is a depressing post, but it is 100% accurate imo.

wait Hughes and Lawson are better suited for a 4-3 ?

I absolutely think they are...Neither is an OLB...Neither played OLB in College...Granted they are athletic enough to play OLB in a 3-4, but they certainly are not prototype...If anything Lawson is close to a prototype NFL 4-3 DE...And Hughes had great success as a 4-3 DE under Schwarz...

Personally I think neither are 3-4 OLB's...I also think Rex is an idiot...So admittedly I'm biased in this area... B-)

He quit on Buffalo. Yeah no thanks....like ever-

And he has also been atrocious in Jax...so theres that to go along with your very accurate and valid point of how he quit on this team already.

Rex hasn't made the playoffs in 7 years. BOB made them last year. Rex's team is all but eliminated this season. BOB is tied for first in his division.

By my logic, BOB > Rex, because Rex sucks.

Well guess what, if we played in the same division as them we would ALSO be tied along with Titans and Colts for first place. But we dont, so we aren't.

According to you, being 6-6 means you are a good coach as long as it also means you are tied for first in a bad division. 6-6 means you are a bad coach when you play in a division with a Pats team that is a mortal lock to win a MIN of twelve games a year.

I mean your logic to validate O'Brien and at the same time crap on Rex for the SAME performance is so utterly ridiculous that I can't believe you are still singing that tune. I mean your exact words were how he is so good because he led a team with a bad QB to a 6-6 record. Yet you also scream all over this board that Tyrod is a bad QB, but you slam Rex for having the same 6-6 record in a BETTER division with what you call a bad QB. Not to mention we have lost all of our WR's to injury, including our top 2 for large chunks of the season...they also played hurt most the time they were on the field. Lost our stud RB for most of 3 games. Lost several of OL, including one of our better ones for the season.

But again, Billy O is some kind of stud coach and Rex sucks for performing exactly the same under similar circumstances. I dont care you want Rex fired, I just can't believe the hypocrisy in your logic is something you want to keep spewing. Then again, this is pretty in line with most of your posts, so not sure why I am so surprised.

PS: I will bet you money the Texans do NOT make the playoffs. They are not wining the division over the Titans or the Colts, both who are heating up while Houston chokes down a 3 game losing streak with a marginal D and weaker offense. Even though you have proclaimed them practically in as divisional winners, something they are not even remotely close to locking up.

PPS: New England, led by its 3rd string QB, utterly out coached and embarrassed the Texans shutting them out. The following week, Rex and the Bills shut out and embarrassed that same coach and 3rd string QB against New England. So, using your logic, that would make Rex superior to O'Brien.

Edited by Alphadawg7

And he has also been atrocious in Jax...so theres that to go along with your very accurate and valid point of how he quit on this team already.

Well guess what, if we played in the same division as them we would ALSO be tied along with Titans and Colts for first place. But we dont, so we aren't.

According to you, being 6-6 means you are a good coach as long as it also means you are tied for first in a bad division. 6-6 means you are a bad coach when you play in a division with a Pats team that is a mortal lock to win a MIN of twelve games a year.

I mean your logic to validate O'Brien and at the same time crap on Rex for the SAME performance is so utterly ridiculous that I can't believe you are still singing that tune. I mean your exact words were how he is so good because he led a team with a bad QB to a 6-6 record. Yet you also scream all over this board that Tyrod is a bad QB, but you slam Rex for having the same 6-6 record in a BETTER division with what you call a bad QB. Not to mention we have lost all of our WR's to injury, including our top 2 for large chunks of the season...they also played hurt most the time they were on the field. Lost our stud RB for most of 3 games. Lost several of OL, including one of our better ones for the season.

But again, Billy O is some kind of stud coach and Rex sucks for performing exactly the same under similar circumstances. I dont care you want Rex fired, I just can't believe the hypocrisy in your logic is something you want to keep spewing. Then again, this is pretty in line with most of your posts, so not sure why I am so surprised.

PS: I will bet you money the Texans do NOT make the playoffs. They are not wining the division over the Titans or the Colts, both who are heating up while Houston chokes down a 3 game losing streak with a marginal D and weaker offense. Even though you have proclaimed them practically in as divisional winners, something they are not even remotely close to locking up.

PPS: New England, led by its 3rd string QB, utterly out coached and embarrassed the Texans shutting them out. The following week, Rex and the Bills shut out and embarrassed that same coach and 3rd string QB against New England. So, using your logic, that would make Rex superior to O'Brien.

My logic is based on playoffs. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Did Rex make the postseason with a winning record last year with a bad QB? Oh, no. Case closed. BOB > The Rexit.

Edited by jmc12290

I'd take Marrone back if it meant getting rid of Rex. No, I'm not kidding. Rex Ryan is the 2nd worst HC the Bills have had since Marv Levy left (Gregg Williams). He has to go.

Except that aside from Wade, Rex is the best of the rest. Not by much, but still better. Sad, but true.

9-7, 9-7, 6-6.

4-12, 8-8, 6-6.

Who is the better coach?

He may be better than Rex, but evaluating a coach simply by his record is equal parts lazy and dumb. Switch divisions and you'd likely be singing a different tune. And our jackass of a coach can't realign the divisions the way he does his pants after crapping them game after game.

He may be better than Rex, but evaluating a coach simply by his record is equal parts lazy and dumb. Switch divisions and you'd likely be singing a different tune. And our jackass of a coach can't realign the divisions the way he does his pants after crapping them game after game.

Every coach in the history of the NFL has been evaluated by their record.