....and Charles Clay?

cage

I have no complaints with Charles Clay. I think he is a great team first player. He cannot help it if (for whatever reason) we continue to have trouble throwing over the middle/throwing him the ball.

I also like the fact that Clay is not a diva. He has no problem doing the dirty work and has not had his agent or anyone else make demands that the Bills throw him the ball X number of times a game whether he is open or not.

Our offense and qb aren't built to utilize the TE very much. Not sure why. Having a good TE as part of your attack seems like a sensible approach, and we see a handful of other teams where the TE is winning them games, but I've given up on the "we need to get Charles Clay and Sammy involved more" stuff.

After yesterday watching us roll a playoff team that has a top defense without half of our normal receivers or starting LT was eye opening.

What we need to go is block and tackle well, give Tyrod time, continue to be unpredictable on defense. Powell, Woods, maybe Goodwin and Salas, Oleary-- I don't care anymore. Give TT a pocket and the ability to change plays whenever he sees fit and we will start being favored in these games more often than not.

They were all over him. I was at game and when he went out for routes they had blanket coverage on him. One of the few plays where he was one on one was the O'Leary catch. Other than that it was not there.

And on that one - looked like they completely forgot about o'leary. TT did a nice job on that one, and looked off someone else to find O'leary.

where was he yesterday? This was when we needed him in "Gronk" mode...

he was hiding again in the middle, a place tightwad cant understand or anticipate a throw into, this will never change, get used our high priced marsh mellow tough TE getting under used for the rest of the season. If Orton were still here hed have 8 catches a game for 100+ yards.

he was hiding again in the middle, a place tightwad cant understand or anticipate a throw into, this will never change, get used our high priced marsh mellow tough TE getting under used for the rest of the season. If Orton were still here hed have 8 catches a game for 100+ yards.

my lord. :rolleyes:

It always amazes me how a player can be so damn good in college and have a marginal roster spot in the NFL.

The competition is so unequal in college ball. Especially at a school like FSU where very few players on opposing teams are NFL caliber except when you play the better schools. The big boys play a lot of cupcakes in a season to boost their rankings.

Yep, its very disappointing to see our TE running open so often while his blocking has been a key to our running success since he got here.

exactly. he has not been a disappointment at all. He blocked very well. The fact our QB can't see him open is a problem.

And no threat at all of a QB with the escapability TT has?

Yep, its very disappointing to see our TE running open so often while his blocking has been a key to our running success since he got here.

they did not overpay him simply for his blocking skills. Being hobbled? is that having his knee drained weekly that is rumored? if so

not a good signing at any price. That is on OBD. That money could have gone to a genuine road grading Grade A RT.

Don't know what Clay's problem is or if it is someones elses like the qb. But so far he is putting up Chandler receiving numbers if that.

And by any metric not what anyone expected. Maybe Lynn sees this. Roman never did.

they did not overpay him simply for his blocking skills. Being hobbled? is that having his knee drained weekly that is rumored? if so

not a good signing at any price. That is on OBD. That money could have gone to a genuine road grading Grade A RT.

Don't know what Clay's problem is or if it is someones elses like the qb. But so far he is putting up Chandler receiving numbers if that.

And by any metric not what anyone expected. Maybe Lynn sees this. Roman never did.

You missed the part about him running open all the time. If only he could throw to himself. Yeah, a great blocking TE, instrumental in our league leading running game that gets open all the time is such a waste. And able to do all that while not 100% at that.

The criticism is fair. You don't give a guy 8 mill year to be a blocking tight end and be a team player. That is what bums like Dray are for @ 2 mill a year

You're absolutely right- because te likes of Dray would totally force an opposing team to game plan for him...

Clay will have his games this year when he's the main guy... And if he's not doing it on the stat sheet, watch the game film.... He's drawing attention and coverage... But I suppose that's not sexy enough for most...

Our offense and qb aren't built to utilize the TE very much. Not sure why. Having a good TE as part of your attack seems like a sensible approach, and we see a handful of other teams where the TE is winning them games, but I've given up on the "we need to get Charles Clay and Sammy involved more" stuff.

After yesterday watching us roll a playoff team that has a top defense without half of our normal receivers or starting LT was eye opening.

What we need to go is block and tackle well, give Tyrod time, continue to be unpredictable on defense. Powell, Woods, maybe Goodwin and Salas, Oleary-- I don't care anymore. Give TT a pocket and the ability to change plays whenever he sees fit and we will start being favored in these games more often than not.

Roman was the tight ends coach at Stanford, where the TE was a big part of their offense. Same thing in SF where he was OC but Vernon Davis wasn't used much in Roman's last season there so there is a precedent.

You missed the part about him running open all the time. If only he could throw to himself. Yeah, a great blocking TE, instrumental in our league leading running game that gets open all the time is such a waste. And able to do all that while not 100% at that.

I kind of took the open all the time comment you made as possible sarcasm. yea, When I focused on him he was open on plays. I don't get it. I expected big numbers from him. in part because of what Roman did in S.F. with his Tight ends.