A Few Observations about the game (A Tribute to BillFromNYC)

Virgil

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll accept the game ball for the day. After years of speculation, it has been confirmed. I'm bad luck. This was the first game in years I haven't watched. I'm sorry everyone for a decade + of futility, but I will not watch next week. Let's keep this thing rolling!

Edited by Dan

Kyle was a beast, Hughes too but his stupid 15 yard penalty hurt us. Didn't cost us the win so I'm over it but I have never seen a guy get this many 15 yard penalties ever in my life.

We did this without Sammy, Goodwin most of the game, Salas, Cordy and Clay. I can't believe it.

Also I have a theory that touchdown Mike would have gotten 2 TD's and 110 yards just like Shady today if you had given him the same carries. He's a really good change-up runner I hope we see more of him.

Wondering if Lynn was in charge of the offense in game 1 if we would have beaten the Ravens.

Bills DBs were outstanding today. The defense as a whole made Carson Palmer look foolish.

Also A-Lynn did a good job on short notice. Can he build on that start?

Question: if Taylor gets the Bills to the playoffs with 150 yards passing and 70-80 yards rushing per game, is that a bad thing?

Question: if Taylor gets the Bills to the playoffs with 150 yards passing and 70-80 yards rushing per game, is that a bad thing?

I'll take that any day of the week. :beer:

One game a year me and my brother and our sons fly in to take my Dad to a game for his bday , and for the first time in like 6 years we actually saw a win and left happy for a change.

- Bwfore the game we were inspired by bb.com 'Top 10 reasons why you should be pumped for Bills-Cardinals' Number 10 - Fall is Here! Enough said

- Is there a better thing than jet flyover at the end of the anthem - the stadium was electric right after that and helped set the initial tone

- For others at the game - did they introduce Rex? I was waiting to see if the crowd would boo, but don't recall if they ever actually introduced him

- Nice to have a home game with hardly a visiting fan in sight

- The Bills did their Bills things to hand plays to the other team and not quite put the game away, but the Cards out-Billed us this game with some huge Bill-like plays

- The long keeper by tyrod at the beginning of the game was huge - for a while Az then had to try to account for it and it opened other things up

- For a simplified playbook there were some nice wrinkles with the widcat, option etc. One guy in front of us started screaming in the first Q - "That's what we need to play - College Football Baby!"

- The whole second half we were calculating ways we could still lose. On the interception at the one my son started screaming "A safety is the worse thing that could possibly happen!" - and we actually started debating whether it would be better to just hand the ball off to a Cardinal for a TD and then at least get the ball back, rather than give up a safety to make it a two score game and give them the ball back right away (If there ever was a situation that called for 'Manual - QB sneak' that was it, but alas that play apparently left along with G Ro)

- In other news - Fitz 6 ints? How in the world did we make him look like Joe Montana a week ago

- It would be awesome if Belichick plays Amendola Edelman at QB next week if for no other reason than just to troll Rex. As much as I hate the guy, if he does that I would actually have to respect his commitment to arrogance

Edited by stevewin

I'll accept the game ball for the day. After years of speculation, it has been confirmed. I'm bad luck. This was the first game in years I haven't watched. I'm sorry everyone for a decade + of futility, but I will not watch next week. Let's keep this thing rolling!

This is the first game this season I haven't watched. Lookie Lookie There Goes Cookie. In my zeal to help the Bills succeed, I shall reluctantly refrain from watching future Sundays.

One game a year me and my brother and our sons fly in to take my Dad to a game for his bday , and for the first time in like 6 years we actually saw a win and left happy for a change.

- Bwfore the game we were inspired by bb.com 'Top 10 reasons why you should be pumped for Bills-Cardinals' Number 10 - Fall is Here! Enough said

- Is there a better thing than jet flyover at the end of the anthem - the stadium was electric right after that and helped set the initial tone

- For others at the game - did they introduce Rex? I was waiting to see if the crowd would boo, but don't recall if they ever actually introduced him

- Nice to have a home game with hardly a visiting fan in sight

- The Bills did their Bills things to hand plays to the other team and not quite put the game away, but the Cards out-Billed us this game with some huge Bill-like plays

- The long keeper by tyrod at the beginning of the game was huge - for a while Az then had to try to account for it and it opened other things up

- For a simplified playbook there were some nice wrinkles with the widcat, option etc. One guy in front of us started screaming in the first Q - "That's what we need to play - College Football Baby!"

- The whole second half we were calculating ways we could still lose. On the interception at the one my son started screaming "A safety is the worse thing that could possibly happen!" - and we actually started debating whether it would be better to just hand the ball off to a Cardinal for a TD and then at least get the ball back, rather than give up a safety to make it a two score game and give them the ball back right away (If there ever was a situation that called for 'Manual - QB sneak' that was it, but alas that play apparently left along with G Ro)

- In other news - Fitz 6 ints? How in the world did we make him look like Joe Montana a week ago

- It would be awesome if Belichick plays Amendola at QB next week if for no other reason than just to troll Rex. As much as I hate the guy, if he does that I would actually have to respect his commitment to arrogance

I was giving this some thought at the time.....I actually dont think that the safety was the worst thing that could happen...if you think about it we were up by 2 scores and the WORST thing that could happen was a turnover for a touchdown down there trying to throw our way out of that field position......

Instead....we gave up a safety but it gave us the opportunity to give up 2 points but get the ball out of their and play field position with the lead and the time in our favor.

Still....gotta find a way to churn out a first down right there

For a split second today I get really pissed at Hughes for wiping out Lorax sack......who has been a unsung hero of this team.

We expected Shaq Lawson.....we got Lorax.....now is Shaq going to be able to outplay him?

He had better.

The Lorax has played well in small spots, situationally, as a stop gap.

Lawson was drafted as a game changer.

I was giving this some thought at the time.....I actually dont think that the safety was the worst thing that could happen...if you think about it we were up by 2 scores and the WORST thing that could happen was a turnover for a touchdown down there trying to throw our way out of that field position......

Instead....we gave up a safety but it gave us the opportunity to give up 2 points but get the ball out of their and play field position with the lead and the time in our favor.

Still....gotta find a way to churn out a first down right there

I always respect your positivity and optimism, John, but I can't agree here. We were up by three scores, and the safety made it a two-score game, while giving them possession. It was potentially disastrous, the worst outcome for that possession aside from a turnover/TD.

I always respect your positivity and optimism, John, but I can't agree here. We were up by three scores, and the safety made it a two-score game, while giving them possession. It was potentially disastrous, the worst outcome for that possession aside from a turnover/TD.

Right. It was a three score game at the time, not a two score game. Both the safety and a free TD make it a two score game - but in the case of the safety you give the ball right back, in the case of the TD you at least get the ball back. The odds are pretty nil that any team would give up the free TD in those circumstances, but once again it was just another interesting 'Bills' thing that the euphoria over something as positive as an int could then turn so quickly into a negative scenario

Fitz played one of his on games last week (karma caught to him this week) and the Ravens are good.

Maybe the BIlls are good. Just been some tough opponents.

The Bills still had a pretty bad offense. They were 4-13 on 3rd downs, couldn't sustain drives. The play calling on that safety was terrible. They knew the Cardinals were going to come all out. It almost cost us the game. There is still no offensive rhythm

I sure wish there was a way to determine if it was a Lynn instead of Roman thing.

There seemed to be more short passes. The read option/sweep was working. Fullback blocking was better.

Coincidence?

I don't want trick plays...Let us make plays that move the chains consistently. We still can't figure out how to use Clay. It is really maddening. I personally did not see a big difference between Romand and Lynn. The only noticeable difference was running BETWEEN THE TACKLEs. No running east-west. It appeared to create a lot more opportunities...Not having Watkins hurt them in the passing game.

I have decided that I will forgive Hughes one roughing the QB penalty per game. He makes up for it.

I'm with you. We just have to accept that these penalties are part of Hughes' makeup.

The reason we have to accept it is that he is a GREAT player. The best on the team, IMO, though a healthy Sammy or a weed-free Marcell could give him a run for his money.

Surprised no one's talking about the offensive line. They were straight MAULING yesterday. I counted at least a half-dozen pancakes by Kujo, Miller, Richie and Mills - and I'm sure there were more that I didn't see. The line and Felton were executing crisply and perfectly against a stout front, it was beautiful to behold.

Surprised no one's talking about the offensive line. They were straight MAULING yesterday. I counted at least a half-dozen pancakes by Kujo, Miller, Richie and Mills - and I'm sure there were more that I didn't see. The line and Felton were executing crisply and perfectly against a stout front, it was beautiful to behold.

Yes.

Miller and Kouandjio were unbelievable in the run game.

Dareus isn't back to practice yet so I doubt he's a week away.

Lawson is mid season at the earliest and he's a rookie so my expectations are low.

You think that Dareus won't be in the lineup in Week 5? He isn't at practice because he's not allowed to be.

You think that Dareus won't be in the lineup in Week 5? He isn't at practice because he's not allowed to be.

This. And the bye comes after game 9, so 8 more weeks for Lawson, and he can start practicing 3 weeks from now.

Isn't he still in re-hab. Once he comes back from rehab he needs to get in football shape. I doubt we see Dareus before midseason

Isn't he still in re-hab. Once he comes back from rehab he needs to get in football shape. I doubt we see Dareus before midseason

I really didn't think about that. Is he still in rehab? If so, I wouldn't think he would be game-shape ready by week 5

He won't be in the lineup on week 5. He's not in practice because he's not allowed to be and he's in rehab. He won't be able to walk out of rehab onto an NFL football field so no, I don't expect him in week 5. Maybe a little action in week 6. Starting after the bye.

The good news (great news) is that the D-line has been playing great.

Edit: GG is right that he's not in inpatient. I see that originally he was going to do that but he changed to outpatient. So he might be in better shape by week 5. Still don't expect much for a few weeks.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

He won't be in the lineup on week 5. He's not in practice because he's not allowed to be and he's in rehab. He won't be able to walk out of rehab onto an NFL football field so no, I don't expect him in week 5. Maybe a little action in week 6. Starting after the bye.

Edit: GG is right that he's not in inpatient. I see that originally he was going to do that but he changed to outpatient. So he might be in better shape by week 5. Still don't expect much for a few weeks.

He was there for virtually the entire training camp. Assuming he's been hitting the bike and stairmaster to maintain his conditioning he'll should be ready for LA

I don't think he ever went to rehab. I think it was an outpatient program, and he was in Buffalo. That seemed to be the case from things I heard and read.

I thought the whole idea of rehab was to get them away from their current surroundings (so that they are not tempted) and change their mindset before bringing them back. I guess not.

He was there for virtually the entire training camp. Assuming he's been hitting the bike and stairmaster to maintain his conditioning he'll should be ready for LA

He's been training with the team the entire time he's been suspended. Sal has commented on it multiple times. He's just not allowed on the practice field. He's allowed in meetings and to train with the team. He'll be on the field Week 5.

Players who have been suspended for less than a year for substance-abuse infractions are permitted to continue working closely with their teams. Short of attending practice or games, players suspended for substance abuse can do everything that eligible players can. That includes lifting weights, watching film, receiving treatment, sitting in on team meetings.

It's the reason Von Miller was able to come back to the team and start after his suspension.

This is my major beef against Rex. At times, he seems to have a great, effective game plan and the team looks sharp - ready to play and fired up.

At other times, he seems to have nuttin' and the team is either over-amped and out of control, or downright, pardon the word, flaccid.

A team can't win consistently in this league with that kind of bipolar head coaching. Rex needs to put the same degree of effort into the game plans for every opponent and the team needs to prepare the same way every time and come out focused and high-energy, but not over-amped.

that's the difference between a Rex Ryan team and a bill belicheck team

Did anyone see the presser yesterday when reporter asked Rex about Reggie Bush he almost said hes our for the season but he caught himself and quickly regained oh yeah Reggie we love him I was just telling his position coach get em ready we may need to play the slot, what a joke release the guy already admit your mistake

that's the difference between a Rex Ryan team and a bill belicheck team

Did anyone see the presser yesterday when reporter asked Rex about Reggie Bush he almost said hes our for the season but he caught himself and quickly regained oh yeah Reggie we love him I was just telling his position coach get em ready we may need to play the slot, what a joke release the guy already admit your mistake

Or just - use him...? The run game was working last week - i feel like that will not be the case against BB and the pats. We're probably without Sammy again, and possibly Salas, leaving us short of receivers on the active roster.

When you lead the whole time, you don't have to get desperate.

They can probably prepare him to run a few routes, out of a few formations, without making him know the whole route tree.

Per Sal Capacio - He isn't allowed to practice but he is allowed to attend meetings, workout, study, and be in the building. Just can't step on the practice field. A suspension less then 1 year and NOT PED related allows him to do this. Had it been PED related or a rule violation (Bundchen) he would not be allowed to do these things.