Willing to discuss changes.....but lets discuss options

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is more complicated then this....

Because we rely on a heavy run orientated offense then Tyrod's issues are magnified

What is being shown is he isnt a "put the game on his shoulders" qb

But....there are not a lot of those anyway?

John it isn't. As much as I want to have hope/faith; this is a bad team and might go down as one of our worst ever. The only option is to run out the season and fire everyone immediately after that last game. Pegs needs to drill another well and get Wolf or someone like him (I really do not like Casserly) in here to hire a GM and coach. Players will be released/traded and the rebuild will begin...If you cut Rex lose now who do you promote? Rob? Dennis Thurman? Roman? :death:

This is over and it needs to be over...

Edit: Fire Rex and Hire Coughlin

Edited by Reed83HOF

John it isn't. As much as I want to have hope/faith; this is a bad team and might go down as one of our worst ever. The only option is to run out the season and fire everyone immediately after that last game. Pegs needs to drill another well and get Wolf or someone like him (I really do not like Casserly) in here to hire a GM and coach. Players will be released/traded and the rebuild will begin...If you cut Rex lose now who do you promote? Rob? Dennis Thurman? Roman? :death:

This is over and it needs to be over...

Edit: Fire Rex and Hire Coughlin

Why would Coughlin or any other respectable coach want to come to Buffalo. It's where careers go to die.

Trade Sammy! Seriously. Look, he's got one more year after this till free agency. He's the Bills' single best trading chip. He's a great young talent, but you're probably: (1) gonna suck this year; (2) gonna suck next year. Get the picks. There's a way to do a rebuild, and it starts with getting maximum cheap talent through accumulating high draft picks.

Here is an option. Lure Rob and Rex on a (wide) wooden board using the promise of a free gas station hot dog at the end of it. The trick is the wooden board is over Niagra Falls and the board would clearly snap from the 827 pounds of **** standing on top of it.

Problem solved.

I legitimately laughed so hard at this I thought I was close to breaking a rib.

Rex isnt going to take this team to the playoffs this year....but if we are firing him then who?

To me one of the huge huge problems here is that Roman's running game is NOT WORKING.....

Yes...Tyrod was bad game 1.....and up and down in game 2.....but he is scoring points

As far as the defense? To me the huge problem here is we have to PROTECT our defense....if we have to do that...then Rex Ryan may as well not be our head coach

I think this is going to end up being a complete house cleaning...Maybe Whaley survives...But I doubt it...

I think Pegs goes the Sabres route...Hires a well qualified GM and gives him the reigns...No telling where that will lead us HC-wise...

I'm guessing the Bills pick VERY high and take a QB...Maybe they keep Tyrod for another year...But I doubt that as well...He can't run a hurry up offense and he's in his 6th NFL season...He's not good enough...We're going nowhere with him...

This will be the rock-bottom year...I think the Pegs will get it right after this...But it's not going to be fun...Until the Draft that is... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Rex isnt going to take this team to the playoffs this year....but if we are firing him then who?

To me one of the huge huge problems here is that Roman's running game is NOT WORKING.....

Yes...Tyrod was bad game 1.....and up and down in game 2.....but he is scoring points

As far as the defense? To me the huge problem here is we have to PROTECT our defense....if we have to do that...then Rex Ryan may as well not be our head coach

TT led the offense to 17 points today during meaningful minutes. Not sure that's good enough.

And 14 of those points were on 2 long pass plays. Except for those 2 passes he showed very little. Didn't see some wide open receivers, seems to be no better than last year and maybe worse in some ways.

I don't know what the answer is. I'm still hoping for some improvement in a few weeks when some players return. But Rex has a lot of guaranteed money coming due to (IMO) the terrible contract the Bills foolishly gave him. I just can't give you any concrete examples of what to do at this point that would help much.

What I would do if I was GM:

1. start looking at options to replace Rex, more than likely for next year. More than likely it's going be a coordinator. For some reason too coaches shy away from Buffalo.

2. Look for real WR coming up in the draft and possible free agency. Salas should not be a top 4 WR on any team!

3. Start shopping some pieces for draft capital.. First to go would be Darius. What good is 1 good pass rusher if the rest of the team isn't good. I would try for a 1st but would accept a 2nd and a raw talent say at CB.

4. Call Rex and Rob in and say if I see a performance like last night again they are both fired on the spot.

Trade Sammy! Seriously. Look, he's got one more year after this till free agency. He's the Bills' single best trading chip. He's a great young talent, but you're probably: (1) gonna suck this year; (2) gonna suck next year. Get the picks. There's a way to do a rebuild, and it starts with getting maximum cheap talent through accumulating high draft picks.

And there is no way Sammy is re-signing with this team given how he has been used.. Unfortunately given his injury history do we even get a 3rd round offer for him?

I think it is more complicated then this....

Because we rely on a heavy run orientated offense then Tyrod's issues are magnified

What is being shown is he isnt a "put the game on his shoulders" qb

But....there are not a lot of those anyway?

How many more weeks of defending Tyrod are you signed up for ?

And there is no way Sammy is re-signing with this team given how he has been used.. Unfortunately given his injury history do we even get a 3rd round offer for him?

Imagine what he be like with a Rogers, Bree's, Brady throwing him the football? I bet 1000 + yard and 8-9 TD's

Well, he'd have to show he's healthy, and I'm not sure that's gonna happen before the trade deadline ... but if he is healthy, you'd still get a 1st rounder for him. It would be a low first rounder because a good team would be going after him ...

They're going to start over with another search and then award it to the best interviewee, a la Rex or Gregg Williams.

Obviously, everything gets thrown out with a new coach. I hope they keep the 3-4 defensive concept and keep drafting QBs. Take one somewhere in the first 3 rounds every year until you clearly have your guy. TT looks like JP Losman to me. Maybe a decent backup but not a guy you can win a championship with.

Edited by vincec

They're going to start over with another search and then award it to the best interviewee, a la Rex or Gregg Williams.

Obviously, everything gets thrown out with a new coach. I hope they keep the 3-4 defensive concept and keep drafting QBs. Take one somewhere in the first 3 rounds every year until you clearly have your guy. TT looks like JP Losman to me. Maybe a decent backup but not a guy you can win a championship with.

Agreed. When you're hiring someone with a long track record, I'm not sure why an interview would have much bearing at all on your decision. Hire Rex because you think he was an inventive coach who still has it, but was hampered by a bad GM. I understand that approach. But hire him because his bluster impressed you at an interview - "don't let him out the door!" Bills-style? I never got that. I'm sure Spurrier would have been a helluva fun interview too.

Trade Tyrod. We probably need to wait for a QB to get hurt to have this option and I admittedly don't know the salary cap ramifications with his new contract, but the Eagles just got a 1st and a 4th for Sam Freaking Bradford, even an extra 2nd would go a long way towards our needed reset. The only potential option I currently see would maybe be San Fran if Chip likes Tyrod for his scheme. The Rams would be another potential nice option, but they are already down their 1st and 3rd in the '17 draft for the Goff trade. Injuries happen in the league, there's better than zero odds someone who thinks they are are playoff team will have a guy go down and put them in a bad spot.

Trade Shady. In today's day & age, I really don't know who would give up an asset for a guy like Shady (looking right at you Doug). Oakland is supposedly down on Latavius with 2 unproven guys behind him, they might sacrifice something for Shady.

Trade Meatball & Aaron Williams. This is more doing right by them than worrying about what we get back, but we aren't likely to win anything during their usable career years, may as well get something while we can.

Trade Gilmore. He needs paid, last night he showed he's not worth it, he still has a high reputation around the league, get what we can for him at this point.

I'd say trade Cog & Wood, but I don't know that they would have any value and it wouldn't hurt to have them helping Cordy & John Miller.

Tank the rest of the year. We currently have a double edged sword, our guys getting paid big money aren't good enough to make us a playoff team, but because we are paying that money we don't have the depth we had 2 years ago. We need to load up on draft picks while still keeping a usable youngish core of Sammy / Cordy / Dareus / Hughes / Lawson / Ragland / Preston / Darby (so don't go total Browns-76ers dump off).

Hire the best young coach we can find. I really like Matt Patricia but understand the trepidation on Pats assistants. But take the approach of Oakland and Jacksonville, no quick fixes, load up on draft picks, allow young guys to play and learn and ultimately find out who can play and who can't. No playoff mandates from ownership, develop the vision of a long term approach and do it right.

Trade Tyrod. We probably need to wait for a QB to get hurt to have this option and I admittedly don't know the salary cap ramifications with his new contract, but the Eagles just got a 1st and a 4th for Sam Freaking Bradford, even an extra 2nd would go a long way towards our needed reset. The only potential option I currently see would maybe be San Fran if Chip likes Tyrod for his scheme. The Rams would be another potential nice option, but they are already down their 1st and 3rd in the '17 draft for the Goff trade. Injuries happen in the league, there's better than zero odds someone who thinks they are are playoff team will have a guy go down and put them in a bad spot.

Trade Shady. In today's day & age, I really don't know who would give up an asset for a guy like Shady (looking right at you Doug). Oakland is supposedly down on Latavius with 2 unproven guys behind him, they might sacrifice something for Shady.

Trade Meatball & Aaron Williams. This is more doing right by them than worrying about what we get back, but we aren't likely to win anything during their usable career years, may as well get something while we can.

Trade Gilmore. He needs paid, last night he showed he's not worth it, he still has a high reputation around the league, get what we can for him at this point.

I'd say trade Cog & Wood, but I don't know that they would have any value and it wouldn't hurt to have them helping Cordy & John Miller.

Tank the rest of the year. We currently have a double edged sword, our guys getting paid big money aren't good enough to make us a playoff team, but because we are paying that money we don't have the depth we had 2 years ago. We need to load up on draft picks while still keeping a usable youngish core of Sammy / Cordy / Dareus / Hughes / Lawson / Ragland / Preston / Darby (so don't go total Browns-76ers dump off).

Hire the best young coach we can find. I really like Matt Patricia but understand the trepidation on Pats assistants. But take the approach of Oakland and Jacksonville, no quick fixes, load up on draft picks, allow young guys to play and learn and ultimately find out who can play and who can't. No playoff mandates from ownership, develop the vision of a long term approach and do it right.

Well, those are fine ideas, but as a starting point ...

... McCoy is untradeable. That is just an awful, awful, completely unnecessary contract extension. No one would touch him.

... A "win now" team with a very good defense just thought Sam Bradford was worth a try as a game manager type QB. Kind of the "win like the Broncos did" strategy. No such team wants Tyrod.

you know who could be our savior? Big man of the town....Tim Murray. The Pegulas need to go to him and see what to do. He will tell them to sit tyrod asap and go for the top pick this year. well maybe play him. but he'd trade sammy and maybe gilmore and hope to get a 1st and a 2nd or at least 2 2nds in the next draft. maybe trade big kyle as well. then we load up with the notre dame kid at qb, and 3 players in the 2nd round.

you know who could be our savior? Big man of the town....Tim Murray. The Pegulas need to go to him and see what to do. He will tell them to sit tyrod asap and go for the top pick this year. well maybe play him. but he'd trade sammy and maybe gilmore and hope to get a 1st and a 2nd or at least 2 2nds in the next draft. maybe trade big kyle as well. then we load up with the notre dame kid at qb, and 3 players in the 2nd round.

Firing_M1A1_tank_in_Djibouti.jpg

I would like to see Rex, his brother and the DC fired ASAP! Keep Greg Roman because you don't want to change the offense and start over until next year, if time tells he can't get it done. I would name Greg Roman the interim Head Coach. If he doesn't improve things he gets fired at the end of the season. Immediately hire Petine to run the defense. Because he worked under Rex it won't be a major change, especially with terminology. Change is needed!

Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas

Interesting question: who has real trade value on this team? We need to take into account contracts/guaranteed money, etc.

1. Watkins, if healthy. Affordable through 2017.

2. Gilmore, if he doesn't keep sucking. A rest of 2016 rental for a contender desperately in need of a CB.

3. Woods. Same thing, but you wouldn't get much for him.

4. Darby. But trading him wouldn't make much sense since he's cost-controlled for a couple more years.

5. Wood. But that would be a salary dump, with nothing of value in return. I think he's playing well enough and his contract is market value so that you could move him if motivated. And I would.

6. Hughes. He's got a pretty big contract, but he's playing well and the edge rusher is in high demand in today's NFL.

The ill-advised contracts I'd like to dump are un-dumpable: McCoy, Dareus, Clay, even Cordy. That's the killer for a rebuild. Too much dead wood.

I would like to see Rex, his brother and the DC fired ASAP! Keep Greg Roman because you don't want to change the offense and start over until next year, if time tells he can't get it done. I would name Greg Roman the interim Head Coach. If he doesn't improve things he gets fired at the end of the season. Immediately hire Petine to run the defense. Because he worked under Rex it won't be a major change, especially with terminology. Change is needed!

You would hire someone that runs the same system that's already not working with these players?

Was I the only guy out there who was kind of disappointed when Tyrod jogged back out there after the mandatory concussion thing? EJ completed a pass! Yeah, it was thrown low, but he completed a move-the-sticks type pass!

if only it moved the sticks...

I'm still not exactly sure why EJ is our short yardage back either.

You would hire someone that runs the same system that's already not working with these players?

Yes, because he proved it worked before and I think they share the same concepts but he lets the players have a lot more freedom and he orchestrates a lot more pressure on the QB. Let's face it, there are a lot of Tampa 2 guys, 3-4 guys, 4-3 guys etc... but its how you as a coach put your personal finger prints on it to make it your defense. What kind of guy you are during game situations? How good are you at game planning? How good are you at making game time adjustments? How good at scouting the opposing teams offense and being able to attack their weaknesses. Klos63 you can't just ditch everything during the 3rd week.

Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas

It's a clown show.

A head has to roll THIS WEEK. Someone benched, or cut, or fired.

What would Darth Vader do?

But why? Honest question, which I think ties back to OP's original point.

And then what?

Is there a new coach, GM, or anyone else who would improve our chances to Win the Superbowl This Year? Because that must be the goal. Not to "improve." Not to be "competitive" and not to "make the playoffs." The solid teams never think this way, even though they are required to say so in the media. But no, they are out to cut your throat.

So, we fire Rex, hire somebody else, and now we are paying 2 coaches. And we fire Rob and give him his nice walk-away cash too. Then what?

Somebody said coughlin. Meh, but maybe. Feels like a stop-gap at best. Me, I want the smartest man in the room, whoever that is, cause we havent had that coaching the bills in forever.

Was I the only guy out there who was kind of disappointed when Tyrod jogged back out there after the mandatory concussion thing? EJ completed a pass! Yeah, it was thrown low, but he completed a move-the-sticks type pass!

I too was hoping they would keep Tyrod on the sideline. I think EJ would have done much better, especially with all the time the offensive line was giving him. Tyrod looks shell-shocked, at this point. Edited by mannc

Yes, because he proved it worked before and I think they share the same concepts but he lets the players have a lot more freedom and he orchestrates a lot more pressure on the QB. Let's face it, there are a lot of Tampa 2 guys, 3-4 guys, 4-3 guys etc... but its how you as a coach put your personal finger prints on it to make it your defense. What kind of guy you are during game situations? How good are you at game planning? How good are you at making game time adjustments? How good at scouting the opposing teams offense and being able to attack their weaknesses. Klos63 you can't just ditch everything during the 3rd week.

Please note where I said to ditch everything in week 3. I just disagreed with hiring Pettine- our defense stunk under him, how many 200 yard rushing games did we give up?

Let's let the matketing team run football operations. Clearly they are the only people who are great at their jobs in the Bills organazation. They get us to keep watching this giant turd of a team every year.

Also more mean tweets and catchy slogans like all in, run deep, and "this team doesn't suck as bad as you think" should be the next slogan.