If Chad Kelly declares... (Update - returning to Ole Miss)

YoloinOhio

Do you want the Bills to draft Chad Kelly?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. If Chad Kelly declares, do you want the Bills to draft him?

• Yes
    • No
    • He needs another year in college before I can decide

He has at times looked extremely talented and like an NFL QB at Ole Miss, and other times too raw. If he declares - would this be a good move or bad IYO? Too much pressure as Jim's nephew, or what we've been searching for since Jim retired? Too much of a troublemaker past, or a kid who needs to mature and could benefit from being near family?

Another factor is that he was at Clemson at one time, and still friends with Sammy. That Clemson connection again....

I'm a Taylor fan but in the camp they need to draft a QB to replace EJ in the pipeline. Just wondering everyone's thoughts since there are so many factors at work with Chad.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is almost as dumb as the homers saying we should draft the QB from UB. South Park high school has a good QB. Should we take him too?

is Licata projected to go in the top 3-4 rounds? I don't understand your analogies here. Edited by YoloinOhio

is Licata projected to go in the top 3-4 rounds? I don't understand your analogies here.

That's why I said almost. I doubt Chad Kelly goes higher than 5th or 6th round after the interview process at the combine. He's as dumb as a rock

With a matter like this, sometimes it helps to weigh the pros and the cons.

Pros:

Has two arms and two legs. Meets minimum requirement to play football.

Has a cool uncle.

Knows where the stadium is. Probably won’t get lost and miss practices, or worse, games.

High motor, probably. I have it on good authority he uses SPF 45.

Is a Kelly. 100% of Bills quarterbacks named Kelly have gone to the hall of fame.

Cons:

Did not complete JUCO degree. Will he finish what he starts?

Might spray up the place with his AK. That could put the whole team in danger.

“Swag out Dabo!” Not sure what that means but it doesn’t sound good.

Terrible rapper. Just terrible.

Played at Ole Miss. Likely couldn’t get into New Miss. Major red flag. What does New Miss know that we don't?

Edited by Jauronimo

I think Buffalo would be a bad spot for the kid. Just too much pressure living up to his uncle's legacy. The comparisons would never stop. That being said, he needs to wait a year before declaring.

I'm going to be firmly against drafting him. I'm just not ever going to be convinced that he's not a psychopath. I've spoke to a few people that played with/against him in high school, nobody has the slightest shred of respect for him. When a mild-mannered person tells you that "it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in prison", I tend to listen.

You're seeing at the moment in Cleveland that someone with character flaws isn't going to develop and be successful if he's constantly getting in his own way. I hope for his sake that he makes the most of his talent and he doesn't travel down the path some have him pegged for. The Kelly family as a whole has already been through too much to wish him to self-destruct. I just can't pull the trigger on him if I had a say.

Put aside all the character flaws for my first point. Does anyone here follow college football? Does he look like a potential starting NFL Quarterback to you? He doesn't have me totally convinced. He seems to have a reckless style that could be disastrous in the NFL. Now to the the character questions. Bringing him back home could have ugly consequences. The last thing he needs to be able to hook up with old friends every day. Add the pressure of being a Kelly, and it could be bad.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I advocated for trading a 3rd round draft pick to Clemson for Chad Kelly and a backup guy right after Dabo kicked him off the team. When Kelly enters the draft that may prove to have been a steal in hindsight. I know we got burned extending Fitz too early, but waiting isn't always the best course of action.

Pros:

Has a cool uncle.

Knows where the stadium is. Probably won’t get lost and miss practices, or worse, games.

Is a Kelly. 100% of Bills quarterbacks named Kelly have gone to the hall of fame.

Cons:

Played at Ole Miss. Likely couldn’t get into New Miss. Major red flag. What does New Miss know that we don't?

Well done sir, well done.

I advocated for trading a 3rd round draft pick to Clemson for Chad Kelly and a backup guy right after Dabo kicked him off the team. When Kelly enters the draft that may prove to have been a steal in hindsight. I know we got burned extending Fitz too early, but waiting isn't always the best course of action.

Clemson had a better offense than we did at the time

Pros:

Has a cool uncle.

Cons:

Epic.

Pros:

Has a cool uncle.

Cons:

Good summary.

Two of the pros stand out. If not for those two, we wouldn't be talking about him.

I don't care when he comes out or where he signs.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I had to laugh during an Ole Miss game a couple weeks ago. They were speculating that Kelly may forego his last year because of financial hardship reasons. They then went on to explain that his father is a grocery store manager and his mother is a school teacher/guidance couselor/something like that.

So they probably easily make 100k+ per year combined, and I'm supposed to feel bad for them upon hearing this? If you want to turn pro because you want no part of the college experience, fine. But don't try and sell me this line of crap.

If they need money, go see brother Jim for a loan to tide you over for a year.

What a joke.

Pros:

Has a cool uncle.

You forgot "blue collar," "lunch pail" and "gym rat."

Probably not. I think it would be a desperate grab at nostalgia trying to catch lightning in a bottle of the good ol days. Just like bringing back marv was a bad idea. If his name was Chad Cassel this thread wouldn't even exist.

Chad Cassel is declaring too??!! What round is he projected in? Who's got the dirt???

Edited by jimmy10

Living in Mississippi, I have seen a lot of Kelly at East Mississippi CC and Ole Miss. It would be a gamble worth taking, in my opinion. Kelly has a huge arm, can run and is accurate. He is also prone to bad turnovers, trouble and he is as dumb as a box of rocks. If he has matured, and that's a big if, he has the talent to be a very good NFL QB. He also has the head to be Ryan Leaf. It would surely be a big gamble, but one with a huge potential upside.