London Uber drivers trash-talk Woods for being soft

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/buffalo-bills-robert-woods-london-uber-drivers-trash-talk-102115

"We were riding around with a couple Uber drivers who said we were soft because we wear pads," Woods said with a laugh, "So I guess we have to put on a show Sunday."

Maybe he mistook Woods for Goodwin...

Why would anyone use Uber in London of all places. Those are the best cab drvers in the world. They have to go to school for years and commit the streets to memory. I'm told the license test is hellacious. And the cabs are cool.

Why even take a cab? Get and Oyster card and ride the tube. It's a great system, although relatively pricey for a subway.

Relatively pricey? It is ridiculously pricey compared to systems around the world... but my trusty Victoria line gets me from home to work 5 days a week... you only need cabs in London if you have restricted mobility or it is between 12.30am and about 5am.

Yeah the base ride price and the zone system make it much more expensive that NYC, which it is the best in the world.

a common misconception by people that don't know any better. you don't wear pads playing tackle football in your backyard when you are a kid. then you put the pads on and you figure out you can actually hit harder. not to mention the athletes in the US are just a whole other level than anyone in the UK

Woods is soft? Compared to what fox hunters? You know who is soft. percy Harvin! And Ryan's pass rush.

They compare them to rugby players. Of course, the games are different and the NFL is so much more violent than rugby. The pads contribute to this because NFL players to think they're invincible and do things rugby players would never consider doing. But it doesn't stop the English from thinking NFL players are "soft."

Edited by MDH

The same thing happened to me in Ireland a few years ago when I went to the Notre Dame/Navy game.. They are painfully unaware how big/fast/strong the guys are. The Ireland cab driver referenced rugby to make his point.. Once I figured out the lbs to stones ratio, I started rattling off some guys like Mario, Patrick Willis etc and he almost drove off the road and apologized for thinking that American football players were soft.

Are you staying in or near Kensington? i know a couple of Buffalo people on a charter. That's where their at. if so it might not last. OTOH go too sticky fingers for a burger and a pint or 3. Touristy but the owner is cool.

I'm staying in Kensington for the weekend. Good area, I expect to see lots of Bills gear.

The same thing happened to me in Ireland a few years ago when I went to the Notre Dame/Navy game.. They are painfully unaware how big/fast/strong the guys are. The Ireland cab driver referenced rugby to make his point.. Once I figured out the lbs to stones ratio, I started rattling off some guys like Mario, Patrick Willis etc and he almost drove off the road and apologized for thinking that American football players were soft.

Yea - when you start looking at the "prototype" players for positions, you realize how freakish the NFL is. Mario is a carnival sideshow if not for football, and I mean that in the nicest of ways.

Edited by NoSaint

Living in New Zealand, I hear a lot of Kiwi's compare "American football" or "Gridiron" to Rugby.

They are two completely different games.

"Gridiron" is a lot more violent (because of the pads and helmets) but I think rugby players are generally a lot tougher.

That being said, go All Blacks! (We're in the Rugby World Cup semi finals this weekend.)

No he could not get a passport.

much less a visa

what do they know football to them is a game where you don't use your hands and not to mention they fall over and cry when someone bumps into them

we should import the Britishers football officiating staff for a season. Much like the teacher exchange program when i went to scool .

82 years ago

we should import the Britishers football officiating staff for a season. Much like the teacher exchange program when i went to scool .

82 years ago

I wish I'd known about that earlier - I had some teachers I would have exchanged!

And for what it's worth, I'm sure 82 years ago you were in a very early grade.

I wish I'd known about that earlier - I had some teachers I would have exchanged!

And for what it's worth, I'm sure 82 years ago you were in a very early grade.

Was that you ?!

melting crayons with me on the radiator when Miss Beasley was out of the room? looked cool enough till the room started to smell. alot.

i might a got a ruler to the hand for that one.

Mr Palmer from Brighton England used to lick his chalk.

I was concerned for his sanity.

I just thought of a story that I thought I'd share with you.

I'm sure more than a couple of you rolled your eyes, when I said that I think rugby players are "tougher" than American Football player.

If you want a little proof, read this little story about Wayne "Buck" Shelford, who played for New Zealand in the 80's. The man is a legend.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/10584457/Five-Kiwi-moments-of-playing-on-while-injured

Living in New Zealand, I hear a lot of Kiwi's compare "American football" or "Gridiron" to Rugby.

They are two completely different games.

"Gridiron" is a lot more violent (because of the pads and helmets) but I think rugby players are generally a lot tougher.

That being said, go All Blacks! (We're in the Rugby World Cup semi finals this weekend.)

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/buffalo-bills-robert-woods-london-uber-drivers-trash-talk-102115

"We were riding around with a couple Uber drivers who said we were soft because we wear pads," Woods said with a laugh, "So I guess we have to put on a show Sunday."

If Rugby was as rough as football they would where pads too. Watched plenty of rugby and there are hits but it's not the all assault they like to claim.

Woods is soft? Compared to what fox hunters? You know who is soft. percy Harvin! And Ryan's pass rush.

:lol:

Europeans commonly make that comment given Rugby has no pads, but it just speaks to their lack of understanding of Football. They don't understand the violence of this sport, and why necessary.

It's funny even old timers here talk about how much tougher the older guys were in the 70's etc. They fail to bring up lineman back then were 235-240 lbs, vs. the 320 lbs of muscle today. The rules cannot legislate how tough these guys are, and how hard even in today's NFL they hit each other. Just go look at the injury report each week. Look at how Karlos Williams will be out a month as his bell was rung so hard. I'm glad they are keeping him out, as you have to save these guys from themselves. In the old days williams would ahve gone back, and most likely could have further injured his brain.

So for a Brit to call our guys wimps, who cares. nana boo boo, we beat you the Revolutionary War, and the War of 1812 so there. You couldn't even take care of Hitler without us. Just kidding guys as trying to point out how silly these conversations are among groups.

Go Bills!

I just thought of a story that I thought I'd share with you.

I'm sure more than a couple of you rolled your eyes, when I said that I think rugby players are "tougher" than American Football player.

If you want a little proof, read this little story about Wayne "Buck" Shelford, who played for New Zealand in the 80's. The man is a legend.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/10584457/Five-Kiwi-moments-of-playing-on-while-injured

WAYNE SHELFORD

The big No 8 earned his mantle as an All Blacks hard man the hard way.

In just his second rugby test against France in 1986, in a match known as the Battle of Nantes, Shelford got caught at the bottom of a ruck after 20 minutes and had his scrotum ripped open, exposing his testicles

Incredibly he ordered the team physio to stitch him up and he returned to action.

It took a knockout blow later in the match to eventually remove Shelford.

"I was knocked out cold, lost a few teeth and had a few stitches down below. It's a game I still can't remember... I don't really want to, either," Shelford once said of the 3-16 loss.

Tough sod. Hard day's work I'd say.

WAYNE SHELFORD

The big No 8 earned his mantle as an All Blacks hard man the hard way.

In just his second rugby test against France in 1986, in a match known as the Battle of Nantes, Shelford got caught at the bottom of a ruck after 20 minutes and had his scrotum ripped open, exposing his testicles

Incredibly he ordered the team physio to stitch him up and he returned to action.

It took a knockout blow later in the match to eventually remove Shelford.

"I was knocked out cold, lost a few teeth and had a few stitches down below. It's a game I still can't remember... I don't really want to, either," Shelford once said of the 3-16 loss.

Tough sod. Hard day's work I'd say.

i feel like theres a difference between "tough" and "incredibly stupid"

i feel like that goes past impressive/tough and into the latter

Giles said it best:

[on American football]

Giles: I just think it's rather odd that a nation that prides itself on its virility should feel compelled to strap on forty pounds of protective gear just in order to play rugby.

From Buffy the Vampire Slayer

And Uber still isnt legal in Communist upstate NY. You guys are missing out.

Which is insane in some of the smaller college towns up here. Ever try to get a cab in Brockport? Literally impossible. An uber driver would make bank on a weekend.

Europeans commonly make that comment given Rugby has no pads, but it just speaks to their lack of understanding of Football. They don't understand the violence of this sport, and why necessary.

Wonder why Rugby players wear pads when they play football then? Is it only because NFL requires it?

Chris Hogan should be good quote machine for this since he went to college as a rugby player.

Hope he comes up big in this game so the Europeans can keep story going - see a rugby player won game for you proving out point about rugby player toughness.

First of all, I feel that I should have a disclaimer... I thoroughly enjoy watching NZ and international rugby, (American rugby is light years behind.) but NFL Football is far and away my favorite sport.

That being said, there are a couple ways to look at this argument, regarding NFL vs Rugby Union toughness.

I believe that the hits in the NFL are so powerful and violent are BECAUSE they are wearing pads and not the other way around. Same goes for concussions.

A couple years ago, when concussions were the big topic, I heard people agrue that a sure way to reduce the number of concussions would be to actually get rid of helmets completlely. This isn't something that I endorse, but I think it holds a lot of merit.

The level of "violence" increases with the level of protection.

Also, if you have never truly watched at least a couple games of international rugby, you really shouldn't talk.

If Rugby was as rough as football they would where pads too. Watched plenty of rugby and there are hits but it's not the all assault they like to claim.

:lol:

I thought Chris Hogan played lacrosse, not rugby.

Did he play both sports?

Chris Hogan should be good quote machine for this since he went to college as a rugby player.

Hope he comes up big in this game so the Europeans can keep story going - see a rugby player won game for you proving out point about rugby player toughness.

Edited by Bad Things

First of all, I feel that I should have a disclaimer... I thoroughly enjoy watching NZ and international rugby, (American rugby is light years behind.) but NFL Football is far and away my favorite sport.

That being said, there are a couple ways to look at this argument, regarding NFL vs Rugby Union toughness.

I believe that the hits in the NFL are so powerful and violent are BECAUSE they are wearing pads and not the other way around. Same goes for concussions.

A couple years ago, when concussions were the big topic, I heard people agrue that a sure way to reduce the number of concussions would be to actually get rid of helmets completlely. This isn't something that I endorse, but I think it holds a lot of merit.

The level of "violence" increases with the level of protection.

Also, if you have never truly watched at least a couple games of international rugby, you really shouldn't talk.

I thought Chris Hogan played lacrosse, not rugby.

Did he play both sports?

I've watched international Rugby, which is why I said that