[Please Change Title]Doug Whaley

I'm really not getting the Doug Whaley hate by some people.

I feel that he put together a talented roster during the off-season (everyone did!).

He picked three very good players in the draft without a first rounder.

Signing Incognito and Clay were solid moves. McCoy is a good football player when healthy.

He's made mistakes, such as the failure to address right tackle. But no team is perfect.

He kept the defense intact, which I thought was a great move. Still not ready to give up on Tyrod Taylor who has a lot of talent.

The blueprint was supposed to be to run the ball, mix in the pass and play great defense.

He had no reason to believe that our defense would uhhhh...stink! He did not pick the defensive guru coach who ruined a very good defense,

The team is underacheiving. It doesn't mean everyone is responsible. It is clear to me at least that this coaching staff is brutal, especially rex and crossman. Do you think we would be 3-3 with the Bowles- Gailey combo. I don't.

Leave Whaley alone. And lets give Tyrod some more chances too. If the defense had lived up to billing, our record would be better.

The issues with Whaley involve:

1) The Current QB situation... Never adequately addressed in 2014, and did the same thing in 2015.

2) The RB Situation... Bungled situation at RB including the release of Jackson.

3) Has jeopardized the future of the Bills with paying a fortune for a front-four defensive line that can be easily game-planned against.

Have the coaches helped his case? Certainly not...

Do you need more reasons?

I'm good with Whaley and I agree, I don't really understand the Whaley bashing.

That said, what Rex has done to this defense is embarrassing. The D-line has been neutered by (I think) focusing too much on the run. There's no urgency on the pass rush. It's like they tie up the blocker and are waiting for the run so they can play their 2 gap responsibility, but when it's not a run, then they're tied up and don't get to the passer. That might not be right, but we're not seeing the front four go hard right at the snap. I used to get pissed when Jerry would jump offsides, but I'd prefer that over whatever the hell they're doing now.

1) The Current QB situation... Never adequately addressed in 2014, and did the same thing in 2015.

2) The RB Situation... Bungled situation at RB including the release of Jackson.

3) Has jeopardized the future of the Bills with paying a fortune for a front-four defensive line that can be easily game-planned against.

thats the first time I've heard anyone fault him for locking up Hughes and Dareus. That makes no sense.

On Freddie, he has rushed the ball 10 times this season. He contributed 2 catches for 5 yards and 0 rushes to yesterday's loss.

The Hawks are 2-4.

He isn't missed.

I agree. Whalley has done a great job. The talent there. The coaching is not. Doug can buy top notch ingredients, but faux chef Rex can burn everything

100% agree. Consider that if Whaley were fired, he would be hired in about 10 seconds by another team. Rex or Thurman, not so much.

And you can't blame Whaley for the QB situation like the Buffalo News continues to try to do. What QB did Whaley pass on in the draft that he should have taken?

thats the first time I've heard anyone fault him for locking up Hughes and Dareus. That makes no sense.

On Freddie, he has rushed the ball 10 times this season. He contributed 2 catches for 5 yards and 0 rushes to yesterday's loss.

The Hawks are 2-4.

He isn't missed.

great response. Plus, K. Williams is MUCH better than FJAX at this point in their respective careers. And the front 4 can be game planned against because we really have a front-3 by playing a 3-4 defense that is totally not suited to our personnel.

I support every move that Whaley has made. He needs to be given more control...which may include him firing Rex..time will tell if Rex can adjust to the talented defensive roster and create more appropriate schemes.. it boggles my mind that we have to worry about this, as the defense was the one thing going into the season that I was comfortable with.

People that try to point out that drafting EJ was a poor decision by Whaley are way out of line. Going into that draft the Bills did not have a starting qb or veteran on their roster (goodbye Fitz). We had no choice to take a qb in that draft.

Whaley traded down and took EJ in the first. What would we rather hiim do? Go into the season without any quarterback and just forfeit the season? The next two qbs taken were Geno and Nassib. Hoping that any of these guys end up availabe in the later rounds was not an option based on the Bills current roster at the time.

The Bills were handcuffed by a bad draft class of quarterbacks when they took EJ. Whaley made the only reasonable decision at the time.

Whaleys done a fine job.

Agreed that Rex and the coaching is the biggest issue. Hopefully Pegula sees it this way as well.

I hope so too. If Whaley is gone, and Rex has input into a new QB, we will become the JETS of the past few years. We already are to a certain extent when you look at the terrible coaching job Rex has done.

I support every move that Whaley has made. He needs to be given more control...which may include him firing Rex..time will tell if Rex can adjust to the talented defensive roster and create more appropriate schemes.. it boggles my mind that we have to worry about this, as the defense was the one thing going into the season that I was comfortable with.

People that try to point out that drafting EJ was a poor decision by Whaley are way out of line. Going into that draft the Bills did not have a starting qb or veteran on their roster (goodbye Fitz). We had no choice to take a qb in that draft.

Whaley traded down and took EJ in the first. What would we rather hiim do? Go into the season without any quarterback and just forfeit the season? The next two qbs taken were Geno and Nassib. Hoping that any of these guys end up availabe in the later rounds was not an option based on the Bills current roster at the time.

The Bills were handcuffed by a bad draft class of quarterbacks when they took EJ. Whaley made the only reasonable decision at the time.

and really, Whaley made the best decision at the time. No one would prefer Geno or Nassib over EJ.

Good post.

His handling of the QB situation coupled with the deal to get Sammy without a real QB would have seen his head on a platter in other organizations, regardless of other accomplishments he may enjoy.

Further, this team was built to win now to save these guys' jobs now, at the expense of the near future. The problem is we are not winning now and it may get worse before it gets better.

That will be around the time Pegula realizes he pulled a Sabres with the Bills and should have cleaned house up front.

As with the Sabres, though, better late than never.

You support the sacrifices made to bring in Sammy without first securing a QB who can get him the ball? That's just foolish and that was a really bad deal, particularly as it came in a draft filled with WR talent that we didn't need to trade up to get.

How can you support that?

At 3-3 I think it is premature for ALL of this talk

My prediction for this year was 10-6 because our GM has done a wonderful job buying the groceries but we do in fact have all new coaches.....it takes some time.

How many top players are injured?

Look....I get that people are worried because the strength of our schedule is yet to come.....but lets not automatically assume these are losses....this team has not come close to playing its best ball yet.

R.E.L.A.X.

2013 draft

EJ Manuel(-)

Robert Woods(+)

Kiko Alonso(+)

Marquise Goodwin(-)

Duke Williams(-)

Jonathan Meeks(Neutral)

Dustin Hopkins(-)

Chris Gragg(neutral)

2014 draft

Sammy Watkins(+)

Cyrus Kouandjio(-)

Preston Brown(+)

Ross Cockrell(-)

Cyril Richardson(-)

Randell Johnson(Neutral)

Seantrell Henderson(+)

2015 draft

Ronald Darby(+)

John Miller(+)

Karlos Williams(+)

Tony Steward(neutral)

Nick O'Leary(neutral)

Dezmin Lewis(neutral)

When you lay it out, his draft results look pretty underwhelming. He's used 3 1st round picks on EJ Manuel and Sammy Watkins and you cannot argue that the return there has been poor.

Hindsight is 20/20, but the Manuel pick and Watkins trade were widely panned nationally and among people who analyze the NFL for a living.

Ryan was handed the keys to a lambo, then took it to pep boys for some performance parts and gas additives now it runs like crap....thats our D...

2013 draft

EJ Manuel(-)

Robert Woods(+)

Kiko Alonso(+)

Marquise Goodwin(-)

Duke Williams(-)

Jonathan Meeks(Neutral)

Dustin Hopkins(-)

Chris Gragg(neutral)

2014 draft

Sammy Watkins(+)

Cyrus Kouandjio(-)

Preston Brown(+)

Ross Cockrell(-)

Cyril Richardson(-)

Randell Johnson(Neutral)

Seantrell Henderson(+)

2015 draft

Ronald Darby(+)

John Miller(+)

Karlos Williams(+)

Tony Steward(neutral)

Nick O'Leary(neutral)

Dezmin Lewis(neutral)

When you lay it out, his draft results look pretty underwhelming. He's used 3 1st round picks on EJ Manuel and Sammy Watkins and you cannot argue that the return there has been poor.

Hindsight is 20/20, but the Manuel pick and Watkins trade were widely panned nationally and among people who analyze the NFL for a living.

I'd change Duke to a neutral, considering where he was drafted. He's solid depth, not starter quality, which is fine. Meeks is a negative, since he hasn't done anything. Gragg is probably neutral, but if he continues to participate weekly, he's a positive again, relative to draft position.

Does Whaley know who he's shopping for or are these groceries for himself?

Well now lets discuss that for a second

As anyone knows who does any kind of research on Rex Ryan's defenses.......shut down corners are what makes his defense work (and yes.....while they are going through some issues right now it would be HORRIBLE without good corners)

So Whaley with a late second round pick no less drafts Darby.....then pullsy John Miller (who is a starter) and Karlos WIlliams (who looked great before concussion protocol)

Yeah......I would say that Whaley knows who he is shopping for.....ALL of these players fit into what Rex is trying to do.

Everyone see what Hopkins is doing for Houston? If he can stay on the freaking field that will be Sammy next year. There are so many similarities between the 2 in their styles of play and perhaps how they have and are developing. Hopkins, in year 3 is getting it and more importantly so are the Houston coaches who know they need to get him the ball.

I mostly agree with #1, #2 and #3. But I also see a more talented squad than the one he inherited.

There's enough talent, IMHO, that good coaching could've/should've produced a winning record thus far.

Good post.

His handling of the QB situation coupled with the deal to get Sammy without a real QB would have seen his head on a platter in other organizations, regardless of other accomplishments he may enjoy.

Further, this team was built to win now to save these guys' jobs now, at the expense of the near future. The problem is we are not winning now and it may get worse before it gets better.

That will be around the time Pegula realizes he pulled a Sabres with the Bills and should have cleaned house up front.

You support the sacrifices made to bring in Sammy without first securing a QB who can get him the ball? That's just foolish and that was a really bad deal, particularly as it came in a draft filled with WR talent that we didn't need to trade up to get.

Yes I do, because teams don't get to know what the statistics and injuries are going to look like in the future when making a draft pick. You need to look at the time this selection was made. Watkins at the time of the draft was far and away the number 1 wide receiver in the draft. Some were saying best prospect since Calvin Johnson!

You can monday morning quarterback all you want and be pissed that we didn't wait for Beckham (who wouldn't look like the ROY he was last year on the Bills offense, and we'd be chastising Whaley for not jumping on Sammy who'd probably be lighting it up elsewhere!), but in the end, we've got a GM that's made some bold moves in the draft, as well as trades. You can't ask for anymore from your GM

I don't know. The D Line is underperforming a lot, maybe due to the scheme, I don't know. The DBs are doing really good. Darby and Gilmore are holding it down. The Offense with Manuel or Taylor is horrendous. The Time of Possession is just killing the D. The Bills can't keep the defense off the field. There is no quick way to fix this mess. They have to start by sustaining drives on offense and then maybe switching back to a 4-3 applying pressure with the big money four. W2, H, and D will get pressure by themselves, which leaves the LBs in coverage or run stop. But this is all mute unless the Offense can stay on the field longer then the Defense. Plus fire the damn training staff already. The team has more injuries every year then any other team.

On the Manuel pick, I would like to point out that Buddy Nix was still the GM and I don't remember anything definitive about who ran that draft. So I don' think that pick can be laid at his feet. Am I wrong. Or is this the usual rush to judgment?

This team has been trending upward since he took over.

The fact that it no longer is is not his fault.

You want him to do a better job scouting players not to commit personal fouls or wide receivers who don't commit holding?

How about all the roster attention to special teams and our special teams are brutally bad?

Good post.

this idea that you can only pick certain types of players after you have others had to be one of the dumbest myths that's always brought up here. (And that's not even saying they did think they had their QB already with Manual who they drafted the year before) it's almost as bad as the myth that Fred Jackson still being here would have this team in a different position.

No matter if they have a QB or not, whomever is throwing the ball needs someone to throw to. Who's this young QB going to throw to when they are trying to develop?

I feel that he put together a talented roster during the off-season (everyone did!).

He picked three very good players in the draft without a first rounder.

Signing Incognito and Clay were solid moves. McCoy is a good football player when healthy.

He's made mistakes, such as the failure to address right tackle. But no team is perfect.

He kept the defense intact, which I thought was a great move. Still not ready to give up on Tyrod Taylor who has a lot of talent.

The blueprint was supposed to be to run the ball, mix in the pass and play great defense.

He had no reason to believe that our defense would uhhhh...stink! He did not pick the defensive guru coach who ruined a very good defense,

The team is underacheiving. It doesn't mean everyone is responsible. It is clear to me at least that this coaching staff is brutal, especially rex and crossman. Do you think we would be 3-3 with the Bowles- Gailey combo. I don't.

Leave Whaley alone. And lets give Tyrod some more chances too. If the defense had lived up to billing, our record would be better.

He's an undistinguished GM at this point.

Neither good nor bad.

Some of both....and a roster enhanced by high draft pick opportunities caused by relentless losing.....and big money spent.

Rex has been a clusterf*ck.

And I hate saying that because I like Rex and I think Roman was a good hire.

The QB play has actually been a surprise considering how bad the situation looked in the offseason.

Can't believe he is being so obstinate about his D style at the expense of victories.

I agree that the season has been disappointing so far, if not worse given the hype about our talent. If there is dysfunction in the Bills organization and the Bills finish .500 or worse, I think Whaley will be the one to go, particularly since there were efforts made to bring in a football czar after last season.

Number 1 - I agree with !

Number 2 - i think if Karlos hadn't gotten the concussion you would be singing a different tune cause up till he went down our running game was contributing pretty well & if Shady was shut down when the hammy flared in training camp he could have been healthy but isn't either . Trading Fred kind of sucked agree'd but it was time .

Number 3 - If the new coaches could have looked at the tape from last year & saw what was working (rather well i might add) & built off of that instead of THINKING they needed to change it completely then the D would have been having a season like the last 2 & every body is happy because they kept the D line together .

So that one is on the coach not the GM for investing in the teams thought to be strong point , because lets face it a great coached defense wins championship !!

Whaley get s a little for the QB thing but there is more than enough blame to go elsewhere too & the injury thing for sure doesn't help matters !!

Edited by T master

I agree that the season has been disappointing so far, if not worse given the hype about our talent. If there is dysfunction in the Bills organization and the Bills finish .500 or worse, I think Whaley will be the one to go, particularly since there were efforts made to bring in a football czar after last season.

The hype about the talent is well founded.

I don't love everything Whaley has done but those are micro-problems compared to the blatant nonsense Rex is perpetrating with his inflexibility wrt his defensive scheme. His ST cuts/pickups are blowing up in his face as well.

Good post.

Whaley has his warts for sure, and I agree that trading up for a WR when the team didn't already have a franchise QB was blatantly stupid, and would have cost him his job with any other NFL team.

A big problem with the current team is the lack of quality play from the right side of the offensive line. Even if Whaley would have obtained the O line players like he originally planned with guys like Jarhi Evans, Bryan Bulaga, and even those two wouldn't be enough without Incognito. The offensive line remains a huge concern particularly since LT Glenn in his last year.

While Ryan is credited with bringing in QB Tyrod Taylor, WR Percy Harvin, and OG Richie Incognito, and those three are a big reason why the offense improved. His defense has taken a huge step backwards from what Schwartz built in Buffalo. I gotta wonder if Hughes, Dareus knew then what they know now, if they would have signed to stay in Buffalo.

The Pegula's need to take a long hard look at this coaching staff, and perhaps the GM too if this staff can't fix the many problems that plague this team this year. Injuries aside, and happen to every team.

I can pick nits about his drafting but no GM hits on all picks so am going to ignore that for a moment,

IMHO, his biggest failing is the choice of coaches. Marrone followed by Ryan is one disaster after another. Ryan is looking terrible for (1) his complicated and ineffective defense (2) lack of discipline manifesting itself in the chronic problem of penalties, and (3) didnt know where to assign blame but it appears to me that there are more injuries this season than in the past two. Strength and conditioning ?? (4) Crossman - known in Detroit for his poor STs, he did fairly well with Marrone. What happened this year ?

I had pointed out early in the season that there are some disturbing patterns emerging which would be glaring once the 'honeymoon period' was done. Needless to say, we are there now. Whaley has to take the credit (Roman) as well as blame for this coaching staff

I don't understand the Whaley ball washing. If we finish 10-6 or better I might get it, but usually you wait until someone actually accomplished something before you crown their ass. As far as I can tell he's turned a lot of high draft picks and big acquisitions courtesy of a Pegula endorsed spending spree into a .500 team.

On the Manuel pick, I would like to point out that Buddy Nix was still the GM and I don't remember anything definitive about who ran that draft. So I don' think that pick can be laid at his feet. Am I wrong. Or is this the usual rush to judgment?

This team has been trending upward since he took over.

The fact that it no longer is is not his fault.

You want him to do a better job scouting players not to commit personal fouls or wide receivers who don't commit holding?

How about all the roster attention to special teams and our special teams are brutally bad?

If he's going to get credit for Mario, Dareus, Woods, Kiko (McCoy) and Gilmore then he's gotta eat it on EJ.

I am not a Whaley fan. The reasons why are stated well in this thread. I also realize it's not time to quit on the season after 3-3. But the way we got the **** beat out of us in those three losses tells me this team is a fraud.

You can blame it on coaching, and it's clear Rex has made some mistakes. But I always have felt like Whaley is just making it up as he goes along. The Fred and Cassel moves are great examples. I know... Cassel sucks and Fred is old an injury prone, but there was no reason to fritter away our depth in those areas.

EJ is just so terrible and he's going to get all our receivers killed soon if we don't get him back to the bench. Yet Whaley is doing everything he can to prove the world wrong about him...why? I know Cassel can only throw it about 4 yards but at least it's on time and accurate.

Edited by jester43

I do need more reasons. He addressed QB with TT and Cassel in the off season. Just because you don't like it I think he hedged his bet with the best he could with the options available. Our RB situation is fine and releasing Fred a 3rd stronger that doesn't play STs is fine. The Dline is well played...yes. But the future isn't bleak and we aren't cash strapped. The cap continues to go up. Whaley has done well!