A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Tyrod won the game. He was pissed on that 3rd and forever run and would not be denied.

Williams, Graham, Darby and Gilmore is the best collective db group in franchise history. Mark it down.

Karlos, shady and Sammy need to get back in the lineup

Amen. Tyrod is really special as a running QB ... thinking back in recent history, right now I can only think of Vick and Kaep (in his first year or so) who had that same ability to break free nearly every time they pull the ball down to run. Face facts, Roman and Rex -- Tyrod can be a special player as a running QB. You gotta just accept the injury risk and let him go.

Re: that missed ankle tackle by Hughes on the screen, I think he's getting a bum rap. He came across the field to make that play, and he got there very fast to make an attempted shoestring/ankle tackle. It's a tough tackle anyway. I certainly don't fault him for that play.

Agreed ... not really knocking him for that play ... he closed a lot of ground and almost made it where lots of other DEs (or is he really an OLB?) would have given up or been completely run out of the play. But I do think he's much more effective in smaller doses ...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: that missed ankle tackle by Hughes on the screen, I think he's getting a bum rap. He came across the field to make that play, and he got there very fast to make an attempted shoestring/ankle tackle. It's a tough tackle anyway. I certainly don't fault him for that play.

Disagree. One of the reasons you give Hughes that contract is because he makes plays like that. Yes, other guys would not have got there to make it. But he needs to make it. He didn't wrap his arms around the RBs legs, he tried to cut him down and just missed the tackle. I was surprised at how well Hughes played the run last year and ran across the field to make plays. That's what makes him worth the money and show that it is not the result of having three pro bowlers alongside him. But he needs to make that play and he just missed it.

Disagree. He closed the distance beatuifully and was set up to make an easy tackle around the waste yet for some reason dove at his feet and completely whiffed. There was no need to make a desperate dive at the feet given the position he was in.

I'm a big Whaley fan but both of the moves made this week backfired. Cundiff was awful as was Denarius Moore, even though he made some yards on returns. I also thought he should have kept Bryce Brown over Boobie who is simply not a reliable RB.

I know Whaley is the GM and thus ultimately responsible for roster moves, but both of these moves reek of Rex being behind them. I cannot imagine that Whaley thinks Cundiff is better than Carpenter, or wants to play those mind games on Carp. And I think it's absolutely Rex who blacklisted Bryce Brown. The Moore over Thigpen thing might possibly be a Whaley move.

Not sure if it's the coaching staff trying to justify the big contract, if it's the loss of Jarius Wynn, or it's Rex and his scheme, but Hughes struck me as a much more effective player when he was rotated in and out ... last year he played about 50% of defensive snaps, this year it's well over 80%, and the extra 30% has included a lot more of the stupid/bad than the playmaker/good ...

He played in 72% of the teams snaps in 2014. I don't think percentage of snaps have anything to do with his bonehead plays.

People seem to be a bit down on the defense today but I thought they played a heroic game. With the offense putting them back on the field after 3 and out time and again, they gave up only 3 points in the first half, keeping the team in it. They were great at the end of the game once the Bills took the lead. Game ball to the defense.

I know Whaley is the GM and thus ultimately responsible for roster moves, but both of these moves reek of Rex being behind them. I cannot imagine that Whaley thinks Cundiff is better than Carpenter, or wants to play those mind games on Carp. And I think it's absolutely Rex who blacklisted Bryce Brown. The Moore over Thigpen thing might possibly be a Whaley move.

Not sure who wanted them, but putting Moore back on punt returns is risky IMO. Guys that on what are essentially one-week tryouts are going to push the envelop. His first punt return he got nailed after not calling a fair catch. Trying to make something out of nothing can hurt the team.

Does Henderson need to be benched to light a fire and activate his brain, or is he just not good?

They did that in TC and I think they need to do it again. He shows he's good enough to start but can't quite make a further step to keep the job and be consistent.

Edited by Fixxxer

I'm all for seeing an in season battle/rotation with Kujo. As much as I am pulling for Henderson to be successful, he looked terrible today

Henderson has the ability and the chance to be pretty good if not very good. But for two seasons in a row he was very good in preseason and not good at all in the regular season.

I tend to agree, Doc. But IMO it isn't a good sign for a team when we start to question " who is behind move X?". Of course, the HC has a lot of input, but if the GM isn't in charge, then this team is going to be in deep s#it. Again, IMO. I'm feeling the "Rex effect" and it isn't a pleasant feeling. Again, I hope I'm wrong about this.

Does Henderson need to be benched to light a fire and activate his brain, or is he just not good?

Well, he is very young for one thing. Also a 7th round pick who was started early in his rookie year. Add to that a less-than-100% rookie starting next to him, and I predict some trouble. This isn't an excuse for Seantrel. He needs to step up. And perhaps sitting him for awhile will help HIM play better. But will his replacement (likely Kujo) be an improvement for the team? Tough call.

EJs looked good each preseason too. You know how meaningful that is. Kujo hasn't gotten a shot. I wonder why?

I'm guessing because when he has played, he's looked pretty bad. But it's hard to know for sure, when it's just a play or two, here and there.

And let's keep in mind, EJ has looked good, at times, in the regular season, too. (Not trying to stir anything up here. Just trying to keep the record straight.)

Agree on #12 big time. They punted on 4th and 1 in our end in the first quarter and then kicked that field goal on 4th and 1 1/2 from inside our ten when we couldn't get a first down to save our lives. Ultra ultra conservative play calling that I'm sure Schopp is calling out right now- something he likes to harp on and he's 1000% right. Those two calls are a big reason we won that football game. Whisenhunt clearly has not read the football version of money ball.

He deserves more touches after today for sure.

Our guys will be getting healthy. His role isn't to take touches from Sammy, harvin, woods, clay, McCoy.... One was out and he performed admirably and will fall back to a 5-7th option in the passing game

Henderson has the ability and the chance to be pretty good if not very good. But for two seasons in a row he was very good in preseason and not good at all in the regular season.

Not sure why anyone thinks this. We were the only team interested in him, and would only use a 7th round pick and he's done nothing to show he might be any good.

Not sure why anyone thinks this. We were the only team interested in him, and would only use a 7th round pick and he's done nothing to show he might be any good.

But that was due to his work ethic and off the field issues (I think). He was widely considered an early round talent by most accounts. Most thought the Bills got a real steal, if they could get him straightened out. Just the fact that he is starting in the NFL (and at times going a reasonable job) says he was a great 7th round investment.

Disagree. One of the reasons you give Hughes that contract is because he makes plays like that. Yes, other guys would not have got there to make it. But he needs to make it. He didn't wrap his arms around the RBs legs, he tried to cut him down and just missed the tackle. I was surprised at how well Hughes played the run last year and ran across the field to make plays. That's what makes him worth the money and show that it is not the result of having three pro bowlers alongside him. But he needs to make that play and he just missed it.

Alright, well mark that down as one tackle he missed. But if you're going to keep a tally, be fair and keep a full one. It was a bad play, but he rarely misses tackles. He is one of the surest tacklers on the team.

And it was still an impressive play to get over there. Yes, he needs to finish, as you've noted.

Disagree. One of the reasons you give Hughes that contract is because he makes plays like that. Yes, other guys would not have got there to make it. But he needs to make it. He didn't wrap his arms around the RBs legs, he tried to cut him down and just missed the tackle.

I had a coach who used to say "too many billy goats and not enough crabs".

Dont try to punish him before you have him under control; get your claws on him and then make it hurt :devil:

Alright, well mark that down as one tackle he missed. But if you're going to keep a tally, be fair and keep a full one. It was a bad play, but he rarely misses tackles. He is one of the surest tacklers on the team.

And it was still an impressive play to get over there. Yes, he needs to finish, as you've noted.

I love Hughes despite his hothead. And one of the reasons I like him so much is he makes those plays all the way across the field where he hustles like crazy. And he's surprisingly good against the run. But he HAS to make that tackle if this defense is going to be elite. The same way that Bradham has to make that tackle last week. Otherwise we are just good.

I had a coach who used to say "too many billy goats and not enough crabs".

Dont try to punish before you have him under control; get your claws on him and then make it hurt :devil:

Ha. You hicks are funny bastards sometimes. ;)

But that was due to his work ethic and off the field issues (I think). He was widely considered an early round talent by most accounts. Most thought the Bills got a real steal, if they could get him straightened out. Just the fact that he is starting in the NFL (and at times going a reasonable job) says he was a great 7th round investment.

Considering what off the field issues many draftees have, I think the fact that since High School, he hadn't done much contributed to his low draft status. But that stuff doesn't matter anymore. He's in the NFL regardless of draft position, he needs to get better quickly.

Bill N.Y. C., Gilmore an Dareus were studs on defense. TT was the MVP on offense.

Henderson was horrible. Simply overmatched and too often befuddled. Kujo not brought in as a replacement says a lot about what the coaches think of Kujo.

TT made some scintillating runs that were the most important plays on offense. He is playing on a bad ankle and will be a likely casualty the more he runs.

Our OL played poorly but what made their run blocking look ineffective is that our running backs were not able to quickly hit the holes. Slow and sluggish runners will never be effective runners for us or any team.

The debate of keeping Da'Rick Rodgers over Hogan should be forever put to rest. Having utility players who can come in and contribute have an important role on teams.

TT was under duress and he made a number of poor passes. I'm still a boisterous supporter of him. I believe in him and I'm confident that he will get better. Still worry about his durability so those advocating for him to run more (Gotham Bill) control yourselves.

In my opinion Mariota is going to be a very good qb in this league in the not too distant future.

Dick LeBeau is an ageless wonder. He looks marvelous and is still sharp.

I'll take any road win, however ugly. Especially with no RB's worth a crap on the roster. Need Karlos back badly next week.

You could blame the Bills for taking too many penalties, but you have to put some blame on the refs. Some very questionable calls.

I though Herron played very well in their absence

Exceptions would be Schmidt, Hogan, K. Williams, and Gilmore. Woods made some nice blocks.

The Graham call was ridiculous.

Mario was clutch today too

- if they stick with TT have to let him run a lot. He's not accurate enough to play from the pocket....for every good pass he hits, he misses a couple. Not a good enough ratio for an NFL QB....example the good deeper throw to Hogan, negated by short miss to harvin and TD throw to Hogan, which was a low squirter that Hogan saved.

- injury risk when TT runs is over stated (sans the horse collar). He usually doesn't take big hits when he takes off, but in the pocket he gets sacked a lot....has to be one of the most sacked QBs in the league.

- Dixon is terrible. His lack of speed means be can't take advantage of openings. I dont care how good he is on special teams, if karlos and shady aren't coming back for a while re-sign

bryce

- huge props to Marcel on the pick, the highlight will focus on Gilmore and question mariotas decision. But with how quickly Marcel closed on mariota out of now where when mariota was already in throwing motion, not much else he could do.

- defense plays better on the road so far. Because lak of crowd noise when opposing offense is in field net-net actually helps us by allowing the D to communicate better?

I had no preconceived notions for Boom but for a guy bis size i thought he moved pretty well and actually looked to hit people... too bad about Cierre i really thought he would be something after learning more of the play book. Dixon should go back to fullback.

That's a very hard play. By definition, an ankle grab isn't a good grip, and you just hope that the player stumbles and falls. That's what happens a lot of the time, and it's almost outside of the defender's hands. The bottom line: The rb made a good player after Hughes made a very good play to get over there.

Lewin looks pretty darn good, btw. He was totally screwed on a hands-to-the-face call on a play that didn't involve his hands getting into Hughes' face.

That's a very hard play. By definition, an ankle grab isn't a good grip, and you just hope that the player stumbles and falls. That's what happens a lot of the time, and it's almost outside of the defender's hands. The bottom line: The rb made a good player after Hughes made a very good play to get over there.

Lewin looks pretty darn good, btw. He was totally screwed on a hands-to-the-face call on a play that didn't involve his hands getting into Hughes' face.

Agree with all of that. But Hughes was in position to do anything he wanted because the RB didn't expect him to be there so fast. He didn't have to grab his ankles at all, he could have easily tackled him at the knees or thighs. We pay him 8-9m a year to be a star and he needs to make that play.

I see a guy out there who just loses focus.

If he ever puts it together mentally he will be held in high regard because he is a physically imposing dude who isn't physically stressed by playing the game.

If Lewin was the guy wearing the 77, he deserved every call he got.

I saw him jaw-jacking guys at least 2-3 times before the first time he finally got called for it.

I saw him jaw-jacking guys at least 2-3 times before the first time he finally got called for it.

He may have done stuff on other plays, but on his final hands-to-the-face call, it wasn't even close: he didn't do it. It was a bad call. And aren't you the one arguing against makeup calls? ;)

The block Robert Woods made on TT's rushing TD was incredible! Woods blasted the Titans defender so hard that he threw him into another Titans defender and knocked both of them to the ground.

Noticed that, it was awesome.

Yes and yes. He was violating Hughes much of the day.....but not on that play. It was weird but Hughes had his head WAY back and it appeared that it must be getting pushed back....but Lewins hands were nowhere near his face. It occurred to me that Hughes might have been setting him up for that call.

I see a guy out there who just loses focus.

If he ever puts it together mentally he will be held in high regard because he is a physically imposing dude who isn't physically stressed by playing the game.

That's been my take on Henderson when watching the all 22s. He's got all the skills needed but for the concentration. That could be developed, but this year's team needs him to develop that trait really fast.

Yes and yes. He was violating Hughes much of the day.....but not on that play. It was weird but Hughes had his head WAY back and it appeared that it must be getting pushed back....but Lewins hands were nowhere near his face. It occurred to me that Hughes might have been setting him up for that call.

I missed the second time he got called for it (must have been mixing one up) but I thought the first time he got called for it was also a weak call compared to what he'd already been up to on a couple downs previously.

If Jerry has suddenly figured out how to draw calls instead of frothing about the ones he's not getting, that's even better than adding a new pass rush move!

I'll take any road win, however ugly. Especially with no RB's worth a crap on the roster. Need Karlos back badly next week.

You could blame the Bills for taking too many penalties, but you have to put some blame on the refs. Some very questionable calls.

The Bills should just bite the bullet and cut Dixon. He is not a NFL Starting RB. Even Bryce Brown will be a better runner.

The block Robert Woods made on TT's rushing TD was incredible! Woods blasted the Titans defender so hard that he threw him into another Titans defender and knocked both of them to the ground.

THat is one of the phenomenal blocks I have seen in the NFL. It was Polamaluisque!!!