How Do We Convince Roman To Stay?

There's a lot of season left and it's probably too early to have this conversation, but if the offense keeps plugging away the way it has, Greg Roman's going to be a top candidate for just about every head coaching job around after this season. After so many years of watching terrible OCs, I'd really hate to see him to go.

However, I remember seeing an article from the offseason where Roman said he interviewed for HC gigs when he was with SF, but that teams got tired of waiting as the 49ers went deep into the playoffs. It sounds like he would definitely like to be a HC and I think Rex and the Bills FO would respect that...but for the sake of this conversation, what could the Bills do to convince him to stay?

The Pegulas could definitely give him head coach type money and an assistant head coach title...what else? T.O.'s key to the city? A guarantee that we spend all draft picks next year on the offense? Get crazy with it, let's make him an offer he can't refuse!

Go Bills!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of season left and it's probably too early to have this conversation, but if the offense keeps plugging away the way it has, Greg Roman's going to be a top candidate for just about every head coaching job around after this season. After so many years of watching terrible OCs, I'd really hate to see him to go.

However, I remember seeing an article from the offseason where Roman said he interviewed for HC gigs when he was with SF, but that teams got tired of waiting as the 49ers went deep into the playoffs. It sounds like he would definitely like to be a HC and I think Rex and the Bills FO would respect that...but for the sake of this conversation, what could the Bills do to convince him to stay?

The Pegulas could definitely give him head coach type money and an assistant head coach title...what else? T.O.'s key to the city? A guarantee that we spend all draft picks next year on the offense? Get crazy with it, let's make him an offer he can't refuse!

Go Bills!

Nothing. It really is that simple. All there is to hope for is that he won't leave us for a bad situation with an out of control owner or front office.

HC in the NFL is the dream, just like playing is for the players. No amount of money or well wishes will change that.

Fire Rex and make him HC. Bring in Petine once he is canned at the factory, as our DC.

I kid, I kid.

Imo

Realistically that is the option.

There was talk of Pettine getting some offers, and lots of folks said no way he gets an offer. Well, ole Mike jumped at the first opportunity, and while I can see why he took the job for the $, and experience. That job was probably the very worst HCing job in the NFL. :lol:

Still, after only playing three games it is a bit early to be worried just yet.

Pay him a lot of money.

Even if we paid him HC money, he'd leave for a good HC opportunity.

Maybe if DW & Rex told him that he's the designated heir when Rex retires in four years.

Maybe.

I think we need to get used to the idea that Roman is only on loan to Buffalo.

It would be great if we could find a new OC who knows Roman's system and doesn't change everything once again.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Rex and the Bills FO dont have a say on Roman becoming a head coach or not. The only thing they could do is prevent him from interviewing while the Bills are still playing but teams rarely do that.

Promoting Roman to assistant head coach with a nice raise would help but no team is going to pay head coach money to an assistant head coach. If the opportunity is there and Roman wants it he will leave and there isn't anything the Bills can do about it.

Things have a way of working out though, remember last year when we were saying the same about Schwatrz?

Go Bills!

Answered your own question, Go deep into the playoffs.

Edited by Drewgetz

There was talk of Pettine getting some offers, and lots of folks said no way he gets an offer. Well, ole Mike jumped at the first opportunity, and while I can see why he took the job for the $, and experience. That job was probably the very worst HCing job in the NFL. :lol:

Still, after only playing three games it is a bit early to be worried just yet.

And it will likely be an open position this coming off season

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$BIGMONEY$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Go Bills!

pay him as much as Rex make him assistant HC and tell him he can be HC when Rex retires :thumbsup:

Rex could give him his truck :w00t:

pay him as much as Rex make him assistant HC and tell him he can be HC when Rex retires :thumbsup:

It does not work they way due to Rooney Rule unless Rex was head coach in name only.