Not Impressed With Roman Today

K-9

K-9, let's revisit this after next week. I have thought even before this game that the Patriots would have only one game of film on this Bills offense with TT and all of our guys, but that the second game we would have a completely different style than we did the first game. That remains to be seen. You could be right. I'm counting on Roman being pretty smart. I have thought since the spring that he was the biggest change and upgrade of them all.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

K-9, let's revisit this after next week. I have thought even before this game that the Patriots would have only one game of film on this Bills offense with TT and all of our guys, but that the second game we would have a completely different style than we did the first game. That remains to be seen. You could be right. I'm counting on Roman being pretty smart. I have thought since the spring that he was the biggest change and upgrade of them all.

Good purnt. Roman turtling and messing with Belicheat? We're simply not used to thinking of our coaches in those terms. :ph34r:

Good purnt. Roman turtling and messing with Belicheat? We're simply not used to thinking of our coaches in those terms. :ph34r:

There is virtually no other explanation for the complete absence of short throws to Watkins.

Roman is a brilliant OC, he's proven that time and again in both the college and pro ranks. I don't question his bona fides at all. I just disagreed with his philosophy today. I fully expect him to show things NE**** hasn't seen before, too.

GO BILLS!!!

It was time to grind out a few first downs on the ground, and Cordy had 2 holding calls on back to back series making it a 20 yard first down. Not going to happen very often on the ground. That's not on the OC, it's on the LT.

The alternative philosophy, and there are arguments for either:

If you want to burn time- don't shut down your offense and continue to convert first downs with a full playbook.

Agreed. Reminded me of the Jets games last year.

I was going to mention my own frustration after that one.

I don't feel near as frustrated today (not frustrated at all really) but get how K9 would have some of those same sentiments. I'm at least hanging my hat on seeing a lot of talent and some creativity, unlike that day offensively where it was scoring despite deficiencies all over the place

Edited by NoSaint

Glad we won and all, but Roman neutered our offense most of the afternoon. Got the impression he didn't have confidence in Taylor nor was I impressed with his schematic designs. Got way too conservative way too early. No excuse for not targeting Sammy more than one or two times as well. Glad our defense rose to the occasion because, based on one game, I'm not sure Roman can go out and win a game with the mentality he showed today.

GO BILLS!!!

The players lost intensity, looked like they were doing a walk through once they got to 24, didn't help that refs were trying to keep them in the game

If you want to burn time- don't shut down your offense and continue to convert first downs with a full playbook.

I don't feel near as frustrated today (not frustrated at all really) but get how K9 would have some of those same sentiments. I'm at least hanging my hat on seeing a lot of talent and some creativity, unlike that day offensively where it was scoring despite deficiencies all over the place

I guess my issue is that it drives me crazy when an offense is clicking and then way too early they go into a shell, and it lets the other team into the game, especially because it stops your momentum. In this case, however, we were playing conservative the entire game and choosing our shots to go downfield. The TD was (IIRC) the only long pass of the game outside of the fairly long pass to Watkins which was after the OP thought we started getting conservative. I didn't think we went into a shell or changed our philosophy ALL that much even when it was 24-0. We were pretty conservative the entire game, and a few times when it was, say, 3rd and long, the guys I watch the games with were saying, okay lets get 6 yards and kick a FG.

I actually agreed with the approach in both cases. K-9 makes some good points about confidence and stepping on the throat, but I think getting out of there showing as little of the playbook as possible has its own merits. Makes for a little more boring game, but we don't have a Brady where running up the score doesn't have negatives.

Wow. I really disagree. Sammy becomes a problem only if the offense is being stymied, which they weren't. I never knew of we were going to run or pass. We had no turnovers. He didn't ask Taylor to do too much and yet wasn't overly conservative. He spread the ball around. He used three RB and six receivers. We averaged 6.2 yards a play.

Good point and very refreshing after Marrone and Hackett.

Glad we won and all, but Roman neutered our offense most of the afternoon. Got the impression he didn't have confidence in Taylor nor was I impressed with his schematic designs. Got way too conservative way too early. No excuse for not targeting Sammy more than one or two times as well. Glad our defense rose to the occasion because, based on one game, I'm not sure Roman can go out and win a game with the mentality he showed today.

GO BILLS!!!

This is what happens when you value your fantasy league more than your actual team. Coming here and having to read this post after such a standout win is embarrassing.

I guess my issue is that it drives me crazy when an offense is clicking and then way too early they go into a shell, and it lets the other team into the game, especially because it stops your momentum. In this case, however, we were playing conservative the entire game and choosing our shots to go downfield. The TD was (IIRC) the only long pass of the game outside of the fairly long pass to Watkins which was after the OP thought we started getting conservative. I didn't think we went into a shell or changed our philosophy ALL that much even when it was 24-0. We were pretty conservative the entire game, and a few times when it was, say, 3rd and long, the guys I watch the games with were saying, okay lets get 6 yards and kick a FG.

I hear you. Until the harvin throw did any go more than 5 yards downfield? The score into and out of halftime is always a huge swing and we got it today. Made for a day without a lot of pressure.

I'm happy with the performance, but willing to have the talks about next steps. Very curious to see how things will format next week,

It's called game planning.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

It's called going into a shell with a decent lead. It happens in many other sports, especially hockey. It's not necessarily wise but to say that Roman didn't have confidence in Taylor is ridiculous. He certainly had confidence in him while he was building the lead.

My largest complaint was that if you took out the long runs by McCoy and Williams, our yards per carry were right around or under 2.

Also with 3 turnovers we basically tied ToP. Obviously this is linked to above and being able to run the ball consistently.

If you take out common sense that makes sense!

This is a great point. We just haven't had that level of coaching here in a long time.

Keeping Luck off the field was the staff's #1 priority, and it worked well.

It's called going into a shell with a decent lead. It happens in many other sports, especially hockey. It's not necessarily wise but to say that Roman didn't have confidence in Taylor is ridiculous. He certainly had confidence in him while he was building the lead.

I don't agree with K-9 on this particular day, but I totally agree that it is a big flaw when an OC becomes overly conservative way too early. If it happens again soon then yes it could be a concern. I don't think he made a mistake this game like K-9 thinks. But it's just an opinion.

In statistics you take out outliers all the time. So they are less of an if, and more of an anomaly. Take out the longest and shortest if you like. But the offense lacked consistency in being able to run the ball.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think that's an appropriate way to asses a football game. Almost every play is designed to score a TD or at lease get a big gain, when it works it shouldn't be discounted.

There is virtually no other explanation for the complete absence of short throws to Watkins.

I bet there is. Even if I don't know what the explanation is. I can't see any team sandbagging, would be unforgivable to lose a game because of that.

They definitely weren't in rhythm offensively today. I thought some of the playcalls were odd, but as KTD pointed out elsewhere, perhaps it's because they got hit with penalties on first down so often in the second half, it killed the playcalling options. But the running plays looked funny to me - they were taking too long to develop. I'm not a big fan of those kinds of running plays. Give me the big fat unbalanced line one cut and get upfield. Boobie running sideways was the epitome of today's running game to me - I didn't like the schemes. And Tyrod was taking the safe throw a number of times instead of keeping his eyes downfield - I wonder if they've inverted his progressions to limit his mistakes, who knows.

I don't want a boring offense but if the defense is going to be winning games, I'll live with it. Let's see what next week brings - you know NE is going to score points, and we're going to have to keep up.

Could be Sammy was not has healed as much as they hoped.

This could ALSO be a factor; very few throws to WRs and all of them were nursing injuries before. Roman used the TEs effectively and RBs to catch so there was no need to over stress muscles, tendons and ligaments on a WET surface if unnecessary. I disliked the defense 2nd half as much as K-9 disliked the offense for they said they were aiming for 85 Bears Defense level defense and they allowed them to get back in game.

They definitely weren't in rhythm offensively today. I thought some of the playcalls were odd, but as KTD pointed out elsewhere, perhaps it's because they got hit with penalties on first down so often in the second half, it killed the playcalling options. But the running plays looked funny to me - they were taking too long to develop. I'm not a big fan of those kinds of running plays. Give me the big fat unbalanced line one cut and get upfield. Boobie running sideways was the epitome of today's running game to me - I didn't like the schemes. And Tyrod was taking the safe throw a number of times instead of keeping his eyes downfield - I wonder if they've inverted his progressions to limit his mistakes, who knows.

I don't want a boring offense but if the defense is going to be winning games, I'll live with it. Let's see what next week brings - you know NE is going to score points, and we're going to have to keep up.

350 yards of offense isnt boring.

I think it is tough to impress someone when that person has no knowledge of the subject

For example, it would be tough to impress me with painting or architecture, because I don't know anything about painting or architecture. I think football is your painting

LOL :lol:

even though Sammy was open a lot why force him the ball? We won and scored 27 points, so apparently the mentality he showed today can and does lead to wins. When do teams continue to air it out when winning 17-0 against one of the best qbs in the league.

On Madden.

I think you make a really good point. A good OC or DC or HC makes macro decisions not micro decisions. When your defense cannot stop anyone you call a completely different game on offense than you do when your defense is stout. I think it's a big thing with the Bills. Knowing our D, and seeing our D in the first and second and third quarters SHOULD affect your playcalling a lot. We were in control of the game from midway through the second quarter and it should affect Roman's strategy.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

This thread is an epic fail.

We dominated all facets of the game. TT looked good, was efficient. Penalties killed us multiple times, including overturning a great McCoy TD.

This was the first game...a game where our starting WR's had almost NO time with our Starting QB and didn't play in the preseason. A game where our starting RB wasn't 100%. A game with a first time starting QB. A game against one of the best teams in the NFL and expected SB contender.

We dominated them. The offense was efficient and high scoring. We are currently averaging 27 points a game, all by the offense, and there is a thread complaining about the OC who accomplished all of that despite all of the above stuff mentioned?

Geezus christ...see you guys next week.

Wait until the whole team gets healthy. Lesean on the first swing pass, juked and fell down. Thats a hamstring and also poor field conditions. How many times does he go down in one on one situations. Harvin fell in similar fashion. We are a banged up team right now. On the mend. Patience, K-9. It was an utterly crappy day to throw the ball. There was a noticeable change in the tempo in the second quarter. I think that was by design to keep the ball out of Lucks hands. He has an unbelievable knack for 4th qtr comebacks. As good as you want to be you have to be somewhat smart about what you are doing.

I have recently shown a propensity for outting Wood as the mediocre center I believe him to be. That is not my underlying point this time though. I think we need to see everyone of the hosses up front not playing the Guard position to have some pride and get their heads in the game. We played against 2 rookie DL men we should have just destroyed. Kendall Langford is decent but there is no way that performance from all of Wood Glenn and Henderson should be swept under the rug. We can not run up the gut with a center with no push. Also 2 tackles that look like they are walking in cement shoes wont get it done either. There is no way our "supposed" stud LT should allow a rookie to control the edge. The line really limited what we could do on the ground. I need to see that cleaned up and then we can assess Romans offense.

This could ALSO be a factor; very few throws to WRs and all of them were nursing injuries before. Roman used the TEs effectively and RBs to catch so there was no need to over stress muscles, tendons and ligaments on a WET surface if unnecessary. I disliked the defense 2nd half as much as K-9 disliked the offense for they said they were aiming for 85 Bears Defense level defense and they allowed them to get back in game.

Interesting theory, and I won't disagree. But it also seems quite likely that--with our two most challenging division opponents coming in the next two weeks--not opening past page three of the playbook seems prudent.

We dominated all facets of the game. TT looked good, was efficient. Penalties killed us multiple times, including overturning a great McCoy TD.

This was the first game...a game where our starting WR's had almost NO time with our Starting QB and didn't play in the preseason. A game where our starting RB wasn't 100%. A game with a first time starting QB. A game against one of the best teams in the NFL and expected SB contender.

We dominated them. The offense was efficient and high scoring. We are currently averaging 27 points a game, all by the offense, and there is a thread complaining about the OC who accomplished all of that despite all of the above stuff mentioned?

In all fairness, that mega hold is what sprung Shady's long TD run.

Lets be honest, they were never back in the game...

Interesting theory, and I won't disagree. But it also seems quite likely that--with our two most challenging division opponents coming in the next two weeks--not opening past page three of the playbook seems prudent.

In all fairness, that mega hold is what sprung Shady's long TD run.

If you guys think we could've worn out the playbook in a single game then we would have bigger fears than k9 is voicing.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::worthy:

A comfortable win against a SB contender, and we're complaining? Here's what I saw.

-- The Colts were not going to let Watkins and McCoy beat them, and congrats Pagano, Watkins and McCoy didn't beat you. But everyone else did. So three cheers for a lot of options at the skill positions.

-- All Ryan cares about is winning. When the Bills got up 24-0 after a 5 minute drive to open the 3rd quarter, the Colts answered with a TD drive of their own. Were they getting back in the game? NO. The Colts were killing themselves by that slow methodical clock-killing approach. That drive took almost 9 minutes. After their TD they were down 24-8 and there were only 20 minutes left in the game. Sure they scored, but that's what they mean by a Pyrrhic victory, one that costs the victors so much that they lose the battle.

-- The offense was quite effective in the second half. Not trying to score a lot of points, just trying to keep the clock moving and WIN THE GAME.

-- The defense also shifted gears in the second half, with a lot more bend but don't break thinking. That let the Colts control the ball and get two TDs, but at the expense of running out the clock. This was a very professional, cutthroat approach on the part of the Bills.

I will also add this before I head off to bed.......

- This team with all of its injuries has not had a chance to work a lot together.....lots of players got held out so a lot of rust

- A QB that has NEVER started an NFL game

- You dont want to be playing your best ball right now.....yes you want to win and we did....but you want a slow biuldup of your team chemistry and you want to be playing your best football by week 16.

While any win is a good win :thumbsup::D

I didn't like all the penalties, and the lack of a solid run game. Although 36 rushes for 147 yards looks like a complete turn around from last years pass happy offense. The run game wasn't entirely effective without using deceptive run plays draws or screens.

Williams 6 for 55 1 TD

McCoy 17 for 41 = 2.41 yard per carry avg

Taylor 9 for 41

Harvin 1 for 9

Dixon 3 for 1

I was hoping to see the Bills line dominate today, and control the line of scrimmage. They simply weren't all that good in their run blocking scheme.