Not Impressed With Roman Today

K-9

Qb who has never started, new RB, new backup rb, new wr, 2 new Oline, new coaches, new system......

1 Win

0 turnovers

6.2 yards per play

27 points

342 yards

Taylor = 14/19, 195 yards, 1TD....9 carries for 41 yards

McCoy - 87 rushing/receiving yards

karlos = 6 carries for 55 yards

Harvin - 79 receiving yards, TD

Clay - 4 receptions, 43 yards

but you aren't impressed because watkins wasn't involved catching the ball. Guess what, watkins was involved in the win. Its called blocking and taking away a top 3 CB in the game. The harvin TD doesn't happen if both the safety and CB aren't focused on watkins.

Sorry, you don't exist in this thread after your 3rd grade stunt above.

Not involving Sammy is only one element.

But your grasp of the obvious is stunning. Well done.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, you don't exist in this thread after your 3rd grade stunt above.

Not involving Sammy is only one element.

But your grasp of the obvious is stunning. Well done.

GO BILLS!!!

My grasp lol? What else is your complaints. He got too conservative? Its called having a QB in his first ever start play with a big lead, in the rain, with a top defense. He is suppose to go conservative, and it worked, perfectly.

This is your goofy thread, list out specifically other reasons why you arent impressed. back it up

So far it is watkins stats and playing conservative with essentially a rookie qb with a big lead in the rain. What else you got?

Edited by Crayola64

Not at all. I can assure you I wasn't confusing our lack of execution with what was asked to be executed.

GO BILLS!!!

Without the penalties it's hard to imagine we would not have scored 30 points, with no turnovers. It's pretty hard to argue with those results when you are starting a guy in his first big game, with four of five players who haven't practiced a lot until the last few days.

Without the penalties it's hard to imagine we would not have scored 30 points, with no turnovers. It's pretty hard to argue with those results when you are starting a guy in his first big game, with four of five players who haven't practiced a lot until the last few days.

I'm not arguing the results. It's great that we won the game. I just reserve the right to be less than impressed with Roman's philosophy today and I hope it's not a concern going forward. He shut it down too early and became predictable in the process, imo.

I also realize it's the first game and he doesn't really know what he has yet, especially given your good point about the lack of playing time our skill players have had together. I can cut him slack; it's not like I hate the guy or anything. I'm simply saying he can be better.

GO BILLS!!!

Qb who has never started, new RB, new backup rb, new wr, 2 new Oline, new coaches, new system......

1 Win

0 turnovers

6.2 yards per play

27 points

342 yards

Taylor = 14/19, 195 yards, 1TD....9 carries for 41 yards

McCoy - 87 rushing/receiving yards

karlos = 6 carries for 55 yards

Harvin - 79 receiving yards, TD

Clay - 4 receptions, 43 yards

but you aren't impressed because watkins wasn't involved catching the ball. Guess what, watkins was involved in the win. Its called blocking and taking away a top 3 CB in the game. The harvin TD doesn't happen if both the safety and CB aren't focused on watkins.

I think to quantify k9s point in a similar fashion

Only 15 first downs, 5/13 on third down, 55 plays in 11 drives, shady sub 2.5 ypc, lots of penalties, a poor colts line challenged us upfront.

Our offense is more talented than their defense and we beat them but I don't think k9 ever saw us flex our muscle and bury them or do a lot to dictate to them. We did find creases and play efficiently though. We might've started burning clock early instead of continuing to push.

Clearly we didn't need it today but it can sometimes be a challenge to just turn that killer instinct on in the 3rd quarter of week 4. On a day when you have a nice little lead and defense firing on all cylinders, it might've been a time to instill a bit of that attitude in this group.

It was a very good day but hopefully it's followed by steps forward in the coming weeks

Edited by NoSaint

I think to quantify k9s point in a similar fashion

Only 15 first downs, 5/13 on third down, 55 plays in 11 drives, shady sub 2.5 ypc, lots of penalties, a poor colts line challenged us upfront.

Our offense is more talented than their defense and we beat them but I don't think k9 ever saw us flex our muscle and bury them or do a lot to dictate to them. We did find creases and play efficiently though. We might've started burning clock early instead of continuing to push.

Clearly we didn't need it today but it can sometimes be a challenge to just turn that killer instinct on in the 3rd quarter of week 4. On a day when you have a nice little lead and defense firing on all cylinders, it might've been a time to instill a bit of that attitude in this group.

It was a very good day but hopefully it's followed by steps forward in the coming weeks

That pretty much hits upon what I was saying.

But hey, I understand the unenlightened circling of the herd when one has the temerity to critique a particular aspect of the game. I must be tarred and feathered for my heresy after a big win.

Others can rationally discuss certain aspects of a game without their panties in a wad.

GO BILLS!!!

I expected the responses I've seen so far. After 18 years in this community, one can predict where certain opinions are going. And it's out of character for me to be so openly critical as well. Those who've been here a while know that. I was struck by the lack of anticipation by Roman today and I don't like coaches who don't seem to sense when we should go for the jugular. Perhaps that's coming, but right now it appears he doesn't have the confidence to do so yet. Hopefully that will come as he learns what he has.

I have much higher expectations for this team, apparently.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed. That aspect of the game was impressive.

GO BILLS!!!

Upon second thought, I would agree with you only in the context that GRo could have mixed things up when he saw the trouble we were having running the ball, esp. up the middle.

Not disagreeing with you at all about having high expectations for the team. I certainly do.

No disrespect K-9.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Roman was sandbaggin' in a huge way today after our early lead considering who we're hosting next week.

This dovetails with the idea that KellytheDog put forth earlier; the skill players simply haven't have enough time together and Roman understands that.

GO BILLS!!!

I am not concerned but I thought Roman was trying to be too cute especially with the running plays for McCoy which were mostly misdirection and trying to catch the defense instead of just lining up and running the ball. I understand Romans offense but i don't think he put McCoy in much of chance to succeed today.

I went into this game thinking the Bills were going to have success running on the Colts defense that I don't think is very good against the run but overall am disappointed in running game. I was also expecting to see more play action and roll outs with Tyrod as well but I don't recall much of either.

My largest complaint was that if you took out the long runs by McCoy and Williams, our yards per carry were right around or under 2.

Also with 3 turnovers we basically tied ToP. Obviously this is linked to above and being able to run the ball consistently.

Glad we won and all, but Roman neutered our offense most of the afternoon. Got the impression he didn't have confidence in Taylor nor was I impressed with his schematic designs. Got way too conservative way too early. No excuse for not targeting Sammy more than one or two times as well. Glad our defense rose to the occasion because, based on one game, I'm not sure Roman can go out and win a game with the mentality he showed today.

GO BILLS!!!

Can't disagree more... I'm sorry... I think our first half offense executed very well, and with the lead and the score to start the second half, I hope it was by design than Rex/Roman chose to not put any more than necessary on film for Billicheat to study for next week.... As I was saying to a few guys at the TBDAHOT after the game... What did we throw after the half, 6 passes??? Run run run the clock out.... I personally love the decision and hope it pays off somehow...

the first play from scrimmage was an unabashed embarrassment

run block executing was for **** (except when K williams ran it...hmmm)

penalties killed them

one drop from Felton and a misfire from TT with Watkins open in the endzone

all things considered, there weren't any systematic breakdowns, and first play from scrimmage not withstanding, i had little issue with playcalling, especially after many of the headscrathers PGH called on TNF against NE

Edited by The Big Cat

I thought he did a descent job until the 4th quarter, I think he got way too conservative. I think 3 straight 3 and outs in the 4th and I believe he started every drive with 2 runs. When its 24-8 against Andrew luck, the game is not close to being over

It was time to grind out a few first downs on the ground, and Cordy had 2 holding calls on back to back series making it a 20 yard first down. Not going to happen very often on the ground. That's not on the OC, it's on the LT.

Can't disagree more... I'm sorry... I think our first half offense executed very well, and with the lead and the score to start the second half, I hope it was by design than Rex/Roman chose to not put any more than necessary on film for Billicheat to study for next week.... As I was saying to a few guys at the TBDAHOT after the game... What did we throw after the half, 6 passes??? Run run run the clock out.... I personally love the decision and hope it pays off somehow...

No need to apologize and I appreciate your point of view here. I think he shut it down too early, that's all.

GO BILLS!!!

Glad we won and all, but Roman neutered our offense most of the afternoon. Got the impression he didn't have confidence in Taylor nor was I impressed with his schematic designs. Got way too conservative way too early. No excuse for not targeting Sammy more than one or two times as well. Glad our defense rose to the occasion because, based on one game, I'm not sure Roman can go out and win a game with the mentality he showed today.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, compared to seeing the Bills be lucky to score 10 to 13 points a game in numerous games over the past 15 years, it's very hard to be impressed with scoring 27 points against a playoff team from a year ago :doh:

My largest complaint was that if you took out the long runs by McCoy and Williams, our yards per carry were right around or under 2.

Also with 3 turnovers we basically tied ToP. Obviously this is linked to above and being able to run the ball consistently.

If you take out a TD run? Ridiculous comments that start with IF. If you take out all the short runs , our average goes way up

I think it is tough to impress someone when that person has no knowledge of the subject

For example, it would be tough to impress me with painting or architecture, because I don't know anything about painting or architecture. I think football is your painting

I may not totally agree with K9s take on this.....but I can tell you he knows his stuff

Yeah, compared to seeing the Bills be lucky to score 10 to 13 points a game in numerous games over the past 15 years, it's very hard to be impressed with scoring 27 points against a playoff team from a year ago :doh:

One thing that kept coming up at the bar: we hung 27 on them without any return scores, which in week one blowouts of years-past were always in the mix.

One thing that kept coming up at the bar: we hung 27 on them without any return scores, which in week one blowouts of years-past were always in the mix.

Great points! All 27 points were from the offense as there were no INT's, punt returns or kick returns for TD's.

If you take out a TD run? Ridiculous comments that start with IF. If you take out all the short runs , our average goes way up

In statistics you take out outliers all the time. So they are less of an if, and more of an anomaly. Take out the longest and shortest if you like. But the offense lacked consistency in being able to run the ball.

It was time to grind out a few first downs on the ground, and Cordy had 2 holding calls on back to back series making it a 20 yard first down. Not going to happen very often on the ground. That's not on the OC, it's on the LT.

I understand that, but they were moving the ball so well before with a great mix of play action, screens and runs, if its working why change it up with a full quarter to go. If there is 5 or 6 minutes left then ya I would agree with you about grinding the clock down

GO BILLS!!!

Some people just can't be happy..lol

No need to apologize and I appreciate your point of view here. I think he shut it down too early, that's all.

GO BILLS!!!

There were a couple times I looked at the clock and thought "they have time", but it also found myself thinking- "if we keep the hammer down and make a mistake, that could let the wind out of our sails"... Either way, the 12th man was rocking like I haven't seen in a long time, and let's get this team used to winning, then maybe we can mimic past teams of N.O. And keep the hammer down most games...

In statistics you take out outliers all the time. So they are less of an if, and more of an anomaly. Take out the longest and shortest if you like. But the offense lacked consistency in being able to run the ball.

It's hard to take anyone seriously if their pic looks like they haven't yet swallowed a stolen jailhouse cookie. :)

Edited by Augie

Hated the first play. First half was filled with finesse plays like that, even though we were built to beat the #$% outta people. First drive in 2nd half was fantastic. Power football, and we were beating the $%^ outta the Colts. No targets to Sammy until late in the game, would like to have seen a bubble screen (that sounds familiar somehow). Can't argue with the result, but we need to be better on offense next week.