Not Impressed With Roman Today

K-9

Glad we won and all, but Roman neutered our offense most of the afternoon. Got the impression he didn't have confidence in Taylor nor was I impressed with his schematic designs. Got way too conservative way too early. No excuse for not targeting Sammy more than one or two times as well. Glad our defense rose to the occasion because, based on one game, I'm not sure Roman can go out and win a game with the mentality he showed today.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad we won and all, but Roman neutered our offense most of the afternoon. Got the impression he didn't have confidence in Taylor nor was I impressed with his schematic designs. Got way too conservative way too early. No excuse for not targeting Sammy more than one or two times as well. Glad our defense rose to the occasion because, based on one game, I'm not sure Roman can go out and win a game with the mentality he showed today.

GO BILLS!!!

He was up 17-0..wasn't going to take chances with defense playing well. No turnovers by the offense

GO BILLS!!!

Get a grip. He got a no-name QB ready to play. The Bills won the game in part because the offense played efficiently. Good win.

I think it is too early to blame the playcalling, especially since it was TT's first game. But a few responses:

1) After we went up 24-0, it seemed like the rest of our drives started with a holding penalty. It was really hard to get momentum on those second half drives when we were in 2nd and 20 so often, and then trying to run clock.

2) I thought the Colts d-line was better than advertised, and they obviously tried to key in to stop the run-- which explains some of the issues with McCoy and the holds our line took. That said, seemed like Karlos Williams was really hitting the holes well.

Wow. I really disagree. Sammy becomes a problem only if the offense is being stymied, which they weren't. I never knew of we were going to run or pass. We had no turnovers. He didn't ask Taylor to do too much and yet wasn't overly conservative. He spread the ball around. He used three RB and six receivers. We averaged 6.2 yards a play.

He was up 17-0..wasn't going to take chances with defense playing well. No turnovers by the offense

Agreed, I'll take the conservative W. Beats hoping the defense or ST could score to give us a chance like the last couple years!

I don't think that had anything to do with the playcalling.

I'm not so sure about that. The offense definitely got very conservative after we went up 24-0. Its quite possible, they figured lets just count on the D and hang on playing a pretty basic offense, so they don't give any more away than they had to, to our next opponent. At least, that's what I'm hoping, because it got real conservative, real quick.

Geez, Louise. They scored 27, outplayed the Colts offense and the first half was beautiful. I thought the coaches gave TT a great deal of latitude.

Watkins: You don't "target" a receiver (See: Flacco lock on Steve Smith) if he's not open. From what I saw, Sammy didn't get much separation and certainly not running around wide-open. I also chalk some of it up to Watkins simply not playing much in pre-season and little work with TT in particular. In other words, I'm excited that this offense can be much better, especially if they OLine can figure out how to open a running lane or two.

Find something else to complain about.

I'm not so sure about that. The offense definitely got very conservative after we went up 24-0. Its quite possible, they figured lets just count on the D and hang on playing a pretty basic offense, so they don't give any more away than they had to, to our next opponent. At least, that's what I'm hoping, because it got real conservative, real quick.

It's natural to get conservative when up 24-0.....what would you have thought if they started throwing every down after getting a big lead?

I'm not a big fan of changing what is doing well. But there is a definite advantage to being conservative when a team is more than three scores down. Even if the Colts scored 14 points late, you're betting that they don't score quick. And the way they do that is only turnovers.

I think it is tough to impress someone when that person has no knowledge of the subject

For example, it would be tough to impress me with painting or architecture, because I don't know anything about painting or architecture. I think football is your painting

GO BILLS!!!

I think it was an nfl caliber plan.

Maybe tweak a few spots but he generally did well with a brand new qb, a line that isn't great, and 5 skill position guys that haven't played together much.

There was misdirection, forcing the defense to accountable horizontally, vertically, and even on the back side of plays.

While I think the unit needs to grow, I do think it was a very good first step.

It's natural to get conservative when up 24-0.....what would you have thought if they started throwing every down after getting a big lead?

I'm not a big fan of changing what is doing well. But there is a definite advantage to being conservative when a team is more than three scores down. Even if the Colts scored 14 points late, you're betting that they don't score quick. And the way they do that is only turnovers.

Good points, and I'm certainly not complaining. We won quite decisively. I just thought we shoulda tried some play action on second down to keep the chains moving a little more is all. But, in no way am I saying or thinking the game plan was bad or am I upset with the win.

I just think Roman shut it down to keep plays off the film.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think that it was as much about neutering the offense as it was smartly reacting to the the flow of the game. Our defense was containing their offense and we took an early lead. Considering that TT was an inexperienced starter I thought Roman's relatively conservative approach was the right approach.

You are right that Waklins was not very involved in the passing game, and neither was Woods. Clay and Harvin were most instrumental in the passing game. On the positive side, especially in the passing game, we have a wide array of options.

Our run blocking wasn't very good. Too few lanes were created. That has to improve.

Overall I would say that Roman called a smart game. In my view he demonstrated both maturity and prudence in his play calling.

To the OP, I think you're overreacting. The problem with the Bills lack of production at times was due to poor OL run blocking and inopportune/questionable penalties. I think you're maybe confusing these factors with Roman's play calls/schematics. Pretty solid season opener IMHO. Some stuff to clean up, obviously, but Roman put TT in a position to succeed, and I can't find fault with that.

I expected the responses I've seen so far. After 18 years in this community, one can predict where certain opinions are going. And it's out of character for me to be so openly critical as well. Those who've been here a while know that. I was struck by the lack of anticipation by Roman today and I don't like coaches who don't seem to sense when we should go for the jugular. Perhaps that's coming, but right now it appears he doesn't have the confidence to do so yet. Hopefully that will come as he learns what he has.

I have much higher expectations for this team, apparently.

GO BILLS!!!

36 rushes / 19 passes keeps luck off field.

Agreed. That aspect of the game was impressive.

GO BILLS!!!

To the OP, I think you're overreacting. The problem with the Bills lack of production at times was due to poor OL run blocking and inopportune/questionable penalties. I think you're maybe confusing these factors with Roman's play calls/schematics. Pretty solid season opener IMHO. Some stuff to clean up, obviously, but Roman put TT in a position to succeed, and I can't find fault with that.

I don't think so.

GO BILLS!!!

I expected the responses I've seen so far. After 18 years in this community, one can predict where certain opinions are going. And it's out of character for me to be so openly critical as well. Those who've been here a while know that. I was struck by the lack of anticipation by Roman today and I don't like coaches who don't seem to sense when we should go for the jugular. Perhaps that's coming, but right now it appears he doesn't have the confidence to do so yet. Hopefully that will come as he learns what he has.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed. That aspect of the game was impressive.

GO BILLS!!!

Third and long they threw deep to Sammy in the endzone. That was going for the jugular. The key to this game was the efficiency of the Bills offense and no turnovers.

GO BILLS!!!

The opening drive in the 2nd half was a good one and made quite the statement IMO. No need to show all of the tricks in the bag once they were up 24-0. More to come.

I think it is too early to blame the playcalling, especially since it was TT's first game. But a few responses:

1) After we went up 24-0, it seemed like the rest of our drives started with a holding penalty. It was really hard to get momentum on those second half drives when we were in 2nd and 20 so often, and then trying to run clock.

2) I thought the Colts d-line was better than advertised, and they obviously tried to key in to stop the run-- which explains some of the issues with McCoy and the holds our line took. That said, seemed like Karlos Williams was really hitting the holes well.

Well stated, great response!

GO BILLS!!!

even though Sammy was open a lot why force him the ball? We won and scored 27 points, so apparently the mentality he showed today can and does lead to wins. When do teams continue to air it out when winning 17-0 against one of the best qbs in the league.

GO BILLS!!!

Qb who has never started, new RB, new backup rb, new wr, 2 new Oline, new coaches, new system......

1 Win

0 turnovers

6.2 yards per play

27 points

342 yards

Taylor = 14/19, 195 yards, 1TD....9 carries for 41 yards

McCoy - 87 rushing/receiving yards

karlos = 6 carries for 55 yards

Harvin - 79 receiving yards, TD

Clay - 4 receptions, 43 yards

but you aren't impressed because watkins wasn't involved catching the ball. Guess what, watkins was involved in the win. Its called blocking and taking away a top 3 CB in the game. The harvin TD doesn't happen if both the safety and CB aren't focused on watkins.

Edited by Crayola64

GO BILLS!!!

Wow. Just wow..