Robert Woods Serious Trade Bait--conjecture

With the depth and scheme we have this guy is becoming expendable. He's already showing frustration about not getting the ball enough. He's not the red zone threat we need. Imo we don't miss a beat without him. Packers or Panthers oth may feel with their elite QBs be could he a #1 WR. If either one offers a first I'm on it. Also willing to listen to other packages. Thoughts?

I was kinda hoping maybe Mike Evans would have a falling out of some sort in Tampa this summer and the Bills could send them Bob and a pick for him.

What the Bills really lack is that huge target at WR.

Woods would be very productive with a very accurate QB and in late season weather where his smaller catch radius isn't a factor.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? Go back and watch 2014 season. Woods is a complete baller. The guy catches footballs behind his head. See Jets at Buffalo in Detroit. No way.

no matter what you think of him, you really think he reaches that potential here? with our scheme, QB play, other receiving targets needing the ball?

imo perfect guy to trade to a WR-needy team with an elite QB. Sell him as another Antonio Browne .... not particularly big or fast, but a disciplined route runner with good feet and sure hands, that an elite QB can rely on

Woods makes your team better right now. Not every draft pick works out. So why would you want to risk trading a great player who makes your team better for a chance at maybe finding another quality player. There is a really good chance that they guy you draft with whatever pick you got for him won't end up being as valuable to this team as Woods is. Therefore trading him = stupid. It's just a really bad idea.

You make trades to acquire players like him, not to get rid of them.

Woods makes your team better right now. Not every draft pick works out. So why would you want to risk trading a great player who makes your team better for a chance at maybe finding another quality player. There is a really good chance that they guy you draft with whatever pick you got for him won't end up being as valuable to this team as Woods is. Therefore trading him = stupid. It's just a really bad idea.

You make trades to acquire players like him, not to get rid of them.

your best franchises start moving guys out when their value is highest, and their expected contribution has flat lined. again you really think in this offense, with these QBs, with our WR targets needing the ball .. he does any better than last year's 700 yards? that kind of production can be had by a lot of WRs, and is not worth foregoing a #1 draft pick

Do I think he will reach his potential here? Yes.There are plenty of balls to go around plus he's good on ST. I don't care about big and fast. You want to see a lot of big and fast? Look on the sidelines in the NFL for second and third team players. Means nothing. Woods is a player. Woods stays.

your best franchises start moving guys out when their value is highest, and their expected contribution has flat lined. again you really think in this offense, with these QBs, with our WR targets needing the ball .. he does any better than last year's 700 yards? that kind of production can be had by a lot of WRs, and is not worth foregoing a #1 draft pick

It seems like you are sort of grouping Woods into a category of "receivers who are a dime a dozen". I think he is much better than an average receiver. He catches balls at times that most other receivers would not catch.

I suppose if you don't think he is very good, then I can see your logic and it makes sense. I just think he is better than that. I think he proved it at key times during the regular season.

With the depth and scheme we have this guy is becoming expendable. He's already showing frustration about not getting the ball enough. He's not the red zone threat we need. Imo we don't miss a beat without him. Packers or Panthers oth may feel with their elite QBs be could he a #1 WR. If either one offers a first I'm on it. Also willing to listen to other packages. Thoughts?

I may have missed it, but when has he shown frustration about not getting the ball enough?

Also... don't forget that when the Eagles approached Buffalo about the McCoy trade, they first wanted Woods and we said "No way. How about Kiko?"

Woods isn't going anywhere, because it would be idiotic.

I'd let him go for a first. We have cap issues coming up so guys are going to need to be traded for cheaper draft picks. Plus we need some picks if we want to move up for a qb. Guys are gonna have to go so a smart way of asset management is to trade them and replace them with picks.

I'll second that. Please change the title.

Ill third this.

I will also add that this is utter lunacy. Woods is one of the, if not the most underrated player on the team. Him not getting the ball all to often is no bad reflection on him its on the QB's and scheme. He has excellent hands and to whoever said he wasn't tough (seemed sarcastic but either way) thats fairly laughable.

The dude is a stud and provides stability when we have 2 incredibly talented (but injury prone) guys playing with him.

He had 700 yards in our crappy offense last year. With cam or Aaron I think the expectation can bump that to 1,000+ this year. He's not getting that this year in our run first scheme, and with guys like Watkins, Clay and others needing the ball when we do throw it. This forms the basis for a mutually beneficial trade.

Why do we need to trade him away when we can use him ourselves?

I'd let him go for a first. We have cap issues coming up so guys are going to need to be traded for cheaper draft picks. Plus we need some picks if we want to move up for a qb. Guys are gonna have to go so a smart way of asset management is to trade them and replace them with picks.

Absolutely where I am at with this. We won't get a first though and I am not taking anything less.

So the OP assumes Woods is unhappy about getting the ball, he's in his third season and we should trade him because his value is high? Pass. Newsflash, the GM's of teams that would want him won't pass on him because his numbers are down in a run first offense. They would recognize that and scout him for his route running, hands etc, not his numbers only. So your assumptions aren't well thought out. You don't trade him just because.

Every day I read ridiculous stuff on this site- todays no different. Woods isnt going anywhere and im not even wasting my time educating the OP. Please make the bafoonery stop

no matter what you think of him, you really think he reaches that potential here? with our scheme, QB play, other receiving targets needing the ball?

imo perfect guy to trade to a WR-needy team with an elite QB. Sell him as another Antonio Browne .... not particularly big or fast, but a disciplined route runner with good feet and sure hands, that an elite QB can rely on

Ah yes, lets get in the biz of making other teams better! And who do we get in return? Cmon man

Your best franchises succeed by having cheap, productive talent. Not by trading them for below market value. We'd never get a first and almost certainly not even a second. So at this point you're selling a young, proven talent for a loss.

Actually I do and our QBs deserve targets that can catch. I dont think our QB situation is as dire as others believe.

Every day I read ridiculous stuff on this site- todays no different. Woods isnt going anywhere and im not even wasting my time educating the OP. Please make the bafoonery stop

Ah yes, lets get in the biz of making other teams better! And who do we get in return? Cmon man

What did you say after Kiko was traded? I'm sure you would have called people morons for suggesting he get moved.

Do you think moves are never made? Harvin was dealt for nothign after the Seahawks gave up a first round pick

Did you think Jimmy Graham was going to get traded?

Who thought Suh would not get tagged.

Let people have some fun and ponder some ideas.

One team's problem could be another team's opportunity.

What did you say after Kiko was traded? I'm sure you would have called people morons for suggesting he get moved.

Do you think moves are never made? Harvin was dealt for nothign after the Seahawks gave up a first round pick

oh im sorry are we getting a 2-time all pro at a position of major need in return for woods like we did for Kiko? If so then sure, it's plausible.

I am all for some fun. But some ideas are just plain silly. I never worried about the kiko trade. Moves that make sense are made and this one makes zero sense. Woods can ball and is cost effective. Kiko was coming off a major injury and we needed a top flight back. Apples and Oranges my friend.

for Aaron Rodgers of course

really? i sort of see him being phased out, not deliberately, but just how things are shaping up. By all accounts he's getting frustrated about it too. I also think that in his mind he wants to be thought of as the #1. In this run first scheme, and with other guys needing the ball when they do throw, I see him getting around 600 yards this year ... somewhere between his 1st and 2nd seasons. Thats respectable but i want more of out of #2, and it's certainly not worth forgoing a 1st round pick if offered

You've said this more than once in this thread so I know it must be true, but, I've been so busy I missed this bit of news. Can someone provide a link.

Your best franchises succeed by having cheap, productive talent. Not by trading them for below market value. We'd never get a first and almost certainly not even a second. So at this point you're selling a young, proven talent for a loss.

Perhaps it would behoove JTSP to take a look at the GB roster.

You've said this more than once in this thread so I know it must be true, but, I've been so busy I missed this bit of news. Can someone provide a link.

I thouhnt that's what the fighting was about in camp. His frustration boiling over that he wasn't getting the ball enough

He is one fo Whaley's favorite players. I do not see this happening under any logical scenario

here I thought if Woods was the player they thought on draft day, they wouldnt have to pay up so much to draft watkins the very next year

Edited by JTSP

here I thought if Woods was the player they thought on draft day, they wouldnt have to pay up so much to draft watkins the very next year

watkins was drafted to replace Stevie. The "#1 WR." Woods was not really expected to come in and be the #1 guy at any point.

Woods was always thought of as a solid #2 WR. He's thought to be a top-notch possession guy. Watkins is the game breaker, #1 guy. They complement one another. Woods is exactly the player the Bills thought he was on draft day.

That's why teams that are hurting won't offer much in a trade. Green Bay and Carolina are only interested in #1 WRs, as they are stocked with #2 guys.

The Bills are in win-now mode. While it's nice to stock-pile #1 picks, dumping Woods is only going to hurt their chances to make the playoffs this year. Harvin can't run the route tree like Woods and the rookies will be too green to be as consistent as Woods.

So if by some miracle some desperate team offers the Bills a #1 pick, it only hurts their chances to make the playoffs this year, which makes it even more unlikely that they would make this trade.