Astro-Notes #5: Monday 8-10-15

Astrobot

Clay is practicing catching the football one-handed along the sidelines, occasionally tipping one to Aaron Williams. Williams catches 2 out of 3. This is where Greg Roman is right now. He has his work cut out for him with this batch, as other than Clay and O'Leary (who are locks), Manhertz is tall but raw, Gragg is a decent downfield threat but is not the blocker you want, Mulligan is a good blocker but needs work on receiving (he does very well this practice), Burton is bigger than Clay but is far less consistent or explosive, etc.

What's up with Marquese Gray? Is he there?

---Cassel shows a very awkward rollout and pass on the fly. He's better than Orton, IMO, but Orton's better when on the move. Likely a wash.

Can you really stand by this statement? Did Orton throw while running even once last season? My impression of Orton last season was that he was utterly incapable of throwing without his feet planted.

Edit: Love reading the analysis, btw. My favorite threads on this board during this time of year. Thanks!

Edited by Rocky Landing

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Joe B's twitter account to see where he could be going wrong with such biased reporting...and it was littered with petty twitter fights. He's clearly argumentative/defensive and just all around unprofessional. He is focusing on agendas as opposed to actual reporting.

I tweeted to him. Asked him very politely why his EJ comments seem to be slanted negatively compared to others who are attending practice and simply relaying the results of each play. I think he deleted it right away.

I tweeted to him. Asked him very politely why his EJ comments seem to be slanted negatively compared to others who are attending practice and simply relaying the results of each play. I think he deleted it right away.

JoKe B was called out by Eric Wood as a know nothing in a post practice presser last week when he listed Wood as his LVP.

JoKe B was called out by Eric Wood as a know nothing in a post practice presser last week when he listed Wood as his LVP.

I heard that too. He said someone sent him Joe B's tweet and he was surprised that he was grading his 1:1 blocking drills as he has no idea what they are actually doing. He then basically said he doesn't really care what Joe B writes, just found it hilarious. Edited by YoloinOhio

I heard that too. He said someone sent him Joe B's tweet and he was surprised that he was grading his 1:1 blocking drills as he has no idea what they are actually doing. He then basically said he doesn't really care what Joe B writes, just found it hilarious.

Crazy, I've read right here in these very forums that Wood is on the decline, his knees are shot, and we should have drafted his replacement. He's nothing less than the weakest point on the o-line.

I continue to be most excited by the possibility of a decent running attack. If we can have consistent success in running the ball, it'll make the job much easier for whomever our QB is. Last year we got really poor QB play (imo), because our run game was bottled up too easily.

My favorite postses are from Astro.

Do me me the favor and collect your TY gift this week. please ; )

I have always looked forward to your notes and they never disappoint. even handed is all we ask. and then you offer details.

:thumbsup:

Juxtapose Astro's report with JoKe B's assessment of EJ:

dunno.gif

Actually, this is Astro's assessment of EJ, and it ain't much different from Joe B's: "EJ----8 for 12, 1 too long, 2 too high. Trying too hard. Waiting too long, not making reads fast enough. At one point likely sacked on 4 successive plays."

Matthew Fairburn is no better

See above. Astro said much the same, indicating that Manuel wasn't good enough yesterday.

Actually, this is Astro's assessment of EJ, and it ain't much different from Joe B's: "EJ----8 for 12, 1 too long, 2 too high. Trying too hard. Waiting too long, not making reads fast enough. At one point likely sacked on 4 successive plays."

See above. Astro said much the same, indicating that Manuel wasn't good enough yesterday.

It has to be terrifying for coaches to see that sort of thing in a practice setting. I don't like how divisive it's become around here - everyone immediately gets shuttled into pro- or anti-EJ camps, and any compliments or criticisms bring down a rain of hell on the poster. EJ is in his third year in this league. Yes he's been undercoached and he's in a brand new offense against a great defense, those are factors for sure. But he cannot be throwing it five yards behind wide receivers in practice settings. He just can't be doing that, whether it's two bad practices or ten. I want him to be successful and I haven't given up on him, but the writing seems to be on the wall. These coaches aren't going to tolerate that sort of thing for very long. They're trying to win games.

what sucks about EJ? Astro's report is pretty positive from what I read....

Thanks Astro! I wasn't able to make it this morning. I appreciate your awesome notes. It sucks about EJ though. I'm shocked Cassel actually did well. That's a first.

It has to be terrifying for coaches to see that sort of thing in a practice setting. I don't like how divisive it's become around here - everyone immediately gets shuttled into pro- or anti-EJ camps, and any compliments or criticisms bring down a rain of hell on the poster. EJ is in his third year in this league. Yes he's been undercoached and he's in a brand new offense against a great defense, those are factors for sure. But he cannot be throwing it five yards behind wide receivers in practice settings. He just can't be doing that, whether it's two bad practices or ten. I want him to be successful and I haven't given up on him, but the writing seems to be on the wall. These coaches aren't going to tolerate that sort of thing for very long. They're trying to win games.

The board is a debate forum, naturally there is going to be lots of back and forth and people entrenched in opposing viewpoints.

Every once in a while a thread happens where everyone agrees, they tend to be short and uninteresting.

Thanks Astro!

I share your thoughts on Randell Johnson - He is a total beast in waiting. He was eating up blockers in that same drill Friday afternoon.

Thanks for your reports being more realistic and unbiased regarding the QB's ( P. Harvin not running the route correctly, etc.).

On Friday I noticed that Tyrod almost never gets the ball out in time. ( generally in a real NFL drop back your going to get 3 seconds, maybe 4 at most to decide and throw). Unfortunately , for me, this rules out ANY chance of him realistically starting for the Bills. I can definitely see him coming in for spot duty though.

Ej seems to be much better at the long balls than he used to be... Still a bit inconsistent on the shorter throws.

I'd go with EJ if I were them, but I can see them leaning to Cassel still. He won't fair any better than Orton unfortunately though.

A point regrading your mention of the TE's - don't forget Marquise Gray ( to me he's a lock and the #2 ). O'leary was getting absolutely blown up in the TE/FB/RB vs. outside pass rush drill this past Friday.

EJ has consistently had a problem with short throws. That remains a major concern. It's not clear that it's fixable but you can't be a dependable quarterback in the NFL with that deficiency. It's like being able to do algebra but not add simple figures, which translates to you not really being a good mathematician.

EJ has consistently had a problem with short throws. That remains a major concern. It's not clear that it's fixable but you can't be a dependable quarterback in the NFL with that deficiency. It's like being able to do algebra but not add simple figures, which translates to you not really being a good mathematician.

That's really true, and we really don't know the answer to that yet. It' very possible he is simply not accurate enough combined with processing information at 100mph. But it's also possible that lack of experience and lack of confidence because of that lack of experience is the main factor in his mechanics breaking down and his inaccuracy. It's really that simple. And it cannot be known without him playing in practice in this offense, and preseason games, and probably regular season games.

That's really true, and we really don't know the answer to that yet. It' very possible he is simply not accurate enough combined with processing information at 100mph. But it's also possible that lack of experience and lack of confidence because of that lack of experience is the main factor in his mechanics breaking down and his inaccuracy. It's really that simple. And it cannot be known without him playing in practice in this offense, and preseason games, and probably regular season games.

These are things I am wondering too as what is the problem. With his accuracy, when it comes to "point and shoot" his accuracy seems high, like elite high. But then in an in game setting, that is where his accuracy takes a nose dive. Is it because he isn't processing info fast enough? Not reading a defense? Confidence issue? Game plan/coaching? Chemstry? Bad oline?

If he isn't processing info fast enough, I would think experience would help him with that. I go back to his rookie year. If my memory is right, the jests are the only team he has played twice. In his rookie year they had a pretty good d. In the first game, he looked horrible. In the 2nd game, he probably had his best game. So I really thought after playing the jets D, he learned and understood it better and in turn he was able to play much better in the 2nd jets game. This is going back to his rookie year though

the short passes are concerning to me because I would think that would be better by now. I have not been at camp, but based on how he played in the past, his short throws that missed were caused by pressure from the D line. And we really need someone that is better when being pressured, because in our division, the QB is going to get pressured a lot, even if the oline is better than last year.

Being better at longer passes than short gives me bad memories of losman. Couldn't manage a game to save his life. If he didn't complete an 80 yard bomb to evans then he wasnt scoring period.

I like EJ, and I am rooting for him. I am hoping that not only does he win the job, but he actually turns into a decent QB.

It seems appropriate to reward Astro for his efforts and I know many have made mention of it. Would someone familiar with go fund me be willing to set something up? Is this kosher? Astro would you be offended by something like that?

I understand is you wouldn't feel right about it Astro, but I'd be happy to slide a couple of bucks for your hard work.

If not, maybe something to get our own site up and running. Seriously, between some of our seasoned posters I think we could do better Bills coverage and analysis than a lot of places do.

I understand is you wouldn't feel right about it Astro, but I'd be happy to slide a couple of bucks for your hard work.

If not, maybe something to get our own site up and running. Seriously, between some of our seasoned posters I think we could do better Bills coverage and analysis than a lot of places do.

I second this. At least create a blog. Astro used to be great for draft stuff, but over the years his analysis of training camps and other stuff has really grown as well. There are a lot of draft stuff out there, but he would really stand out with his other stuff. Not being able to go to camp, his stuff seems to be the most informative. All the "professionals" say the same thing and are redundant. Astro puts in points about things that I don't think the reporters even understand

I second this. At least create a blog. Astro used to be great for draft stuff, but over the years his analysis of training camps and other stuff has really grown as well. There are a lot of draft stuff out there, but he would really stand out with his other stuff. Not being able to go to camp, his stuff seems to be the most informative. All the "professionals" say the same thing and are redundant. Astro puts in points about things that I don't think the reporters even understand

What do you mean "used to be?" :P

I hit up Drafttek a lot. And for the record, at this point I'd be happy if Hackenburg fell into our lap Astro. I can dream.

What do you mean "used to be?" :P

I hit up Drafttek a lot. And for the record, at this point I'd be happy if Hackenburg fell into our lap Astro. I can dream.

"used to be" was just meant as in that the draft used to be the biggest thing I would read his posts for, but now that has expanded to other things haha.

He is also an excellent follow on twitter, any bills fan on twitter needs to follow him. He was one of my favorite people to follow during free agency this year.