Biggest worry on defense?

Much has been written about the QB and guard spots.

Let's talk defense.

If you are Rex and Whaley, what is your primary worry right now? Mine would be DE in a three man line. I don't see a 3-4 DE that is that good. I like Carrington in that role a little. Will this force Rex to go 4-3 or 46 more?

SS and backup MLB are my other worries but not enough to make any moves.

What do you think? Is the DL set?

Yes the DL is set. They're going to play a 4-man front pretty often, so no major change from the last 2 seasons.

When they play a 3-man, the DE spots are the least of my worries, as Dareus played the 5-tech at Alabama, and both Bryant and Charles acquitted themselves nicely in those spots during their snaps.

IF there's a concerning spot on defense, for me it would be edge rusher behind Mario and Hughes. Having that third threat really helps the rotation, and also would make a huge difference in the event of an injury

I'm worried about the other DE in a 3-4 front. I think Stefan Charles wins the job and can do well but he impressed me most in short spurts so I need to see that he can do well for an entire game.

Linebacker depth is a concern as many have mentioned. Ty Powell is getting a lot of praise and hype but I need to see it on the field so I feel better about it. I'm not sure that Steward makes the team but I hope he turns out to be a late round steal.

I'm concerned about cornerback behind Gilmore. McKelvin is very hit and miss to me and while I think Darby can be great, you don't usually see rookie CBs thrive. If Graham is a full-time safety, the depth on the outside concerns me. Will Ross Cockrell step up in year two? Can Ron Brooks play consistently if called upon? In the slot, I love Nickell Robey so I don't have any concerns there.

At safety, I need to see Aaron Williams play like he did in 2013, not 2014. Considering they're moving to a scheme similar to the one the team ran in 2013, I'm hopeful.

I am concerned with stopping the run. Didn't do it under Pettine and I am more that a little curious about how they will do now under a similar system.

I think it'll be up to the LBs. They're going from a one-gap responsibilty to a two-gap responsibility, so they need to step it up. I think Brown will be fine and it would've helped to keep Spikes. Bradham is more of a question mark.

I am concerned with stopping the run. Didn't do it under Pettine and I am more that a little curious about how they will do now under a similar system.

Add to this that they were only average vs the run last season and lost Spikes in the middle and Searcy in the secondary who were strong run defenders. Their interior DL backups were so bad vs the run that they ended up playing Wynn there at the end of the year when Dareus got hurt.

Three or four guys hitting the QB at pretty much the same time, then arguing with each other over who should get credit for the sack, causing dozens and dozens of delay of game penalties.

This brought back memories of the Chiefs/Bills playoff game in January 1994. (Yes, I was there). Smith, Hansen and Wright all meeting for beers in the backfield with Joe Montana. To quote the New York Times:

"The three of us hit him," said Smith, the All-Pro defensive end. "I think when he came down, his head hit the carpet and he went, 'Uhhh,' and we knew something was wrong with him then. I was trying to ask him if he was all right, but he couldn't comprehend what I was saying."

My point? It happened once. It could happen again.

This brought back memories of the Chiefs/Bills playoff game in January 1994. (Yes, I was there). Smith, Hansen and Wright all meeting for beers in the backfield with Joe Montana. To quote the New York Times:

"The three of us hit him," said Smith, the All-Pro defensive end. "I think when he came down, his head hit the carpet and he went, 'Uhhh,' and we knew something was wrong with him then. I was trying to ask him if he was all right, but he couldn't comprehend what I was saying."

My point? It happened once. It could happen again.

post-2823-0-24622300-1435454089_thumb.jpg

Honestly i don't get the concerns people would have about this defense. this board seems to look at Rex and think 3/4. that's not the case. Rex runs a multiple front defense. he will put his best players on the field and rely on their strengths and adjust aggressively. in my oppinion, the reason he ran a 3/4 so much in NYJ and the Ravens was due to his personnel. we have enough personnel AND depth to put together a top Defense regardless of front

Much has been written about the QB and guard spots.

Let's talk defense.

If you are Rex and Whaley, what is your primary worry right now? Mine would be DE in a three man line. I don't see a 3-4 DE that is that good. I like Carrington in that role a little. Will this force Rex to go 4-3 or 46 more?

SS and backup MLB are my other worries but not enough to make any moves.

What do you think? Is the DL set?

defense is set. only injuries can mess this group up, and yes, that could definately happen. get your popcorn ready.

Aaron Williams staying healthy is pretty important to having an elite defense. We don't have anyone as hard hitting in the d backfield to replace him.

I'm looking forward to Darby and Miller having an impact on both sides if the ball. Love it when rooks contribute.

Depth everywhere.

We're shallow at LB, CB, and DB ... at least in terms of the defense needing to maintain a suffocating level of play if we are to win. Remember when Dareus went out last year? It was a huge blow.

Bottom line, the team has too much riding on Bufalo's D being a top 1-3..truly great...defense. To do that, we can't have injuries (which always happe). In so many words, my main worry about the defense is the offense.

Depth everywhere.

We're shallow at LB, CB, and DB ... at least in terms of the defense needing to maintain a suffocating level of play if we are to win. Remember when Dareus went out last year? It was a huge blow.

Bottom line, the team has too much riding on Bufalo's D being a top 1-3..truly great...defense. To do that, we can't have injuries (which always happe). In so many words, my main worry about the defense is the offense.

How is this team thin at CB?

They have Gilmore, McKelvin, Graham, Robey, and Darby. That's without assuming any improvement from Cockrell.

I realize they don't have 4 shutdown corners, but, well, that's not realistic. I guess I'm not sure what more you want at CB.

My first thought was that a mammut NT is needed for the 3-4. Wasn't Damon Harrison a big peace of the jets' rush d# succes?

But then again, I am not sure with the multiple front systems.

I am pretty sure thought, that Rex can wreack some havoc with the guys he has available this year.

How is this team thin at CB?

They have Gilmore, McKelvin, Graham, Robey, and Darby. That's without assuming any improvement from Cockrell.

I realize they don't have 4 shutdown corners, but, well, that's not realistic. I guess I'm not sure what more you want at CB.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I think that Brooks is an NFL corner as well.

They are as deep at CB as any team in the NFL. If someone is worried about the depth at CB go check Dallas' depth chart there. They would kill to have any of those guys.

How are we going to stop the run?? LBs couldn't handle it under Pettine!! Now LB's will have to lead the way in the run game under Rex.

Its a passing league. Im not going to dispute that. However, there is nothing worse than watching the defense on its heels in a close game. I hate playing Brady when his no name running backs get him to 2nd and 3, 4, or 5. His playbook becomes wide open.

Depth everywhere.

Dooomed. Only 7 cornerbacks deep !!