Biggest worry on defense?

Much has been written about the QB and guard spots.

Let's talk defense.

If you are Rex and Whaley, what is your primary worry right now? Mine would be DE in a three man line. I don't see a 3-4 DE that is that good. I like Carrington in that role a little. Will this force Rex to go 4-3 or 46 more?

SS and backup MLB are my other worries but not enough to make any moves.

What do you think? Is the DL set?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes the DL is set. They're going to play a 4-man front pretty often, so no major change from the last 2 seasons.

When they play a 3-man, the DE spots are the least of my worries, as Dareus played the 5-tech at Alabama, and both Bryant and Charles acquitted themselves nicely in those spots during their snaps.

IF there's a concerning spot on defense, for me it would be edge rusher behind Mario and Hughes. Having that third threat really helps the rotation, and also would make a huge difference in the event of an injury

I'm worried about the other DE in a 3-4 front. I think Stefan Charles wins the job and can do well but he impressed me most in short spurts so I need to see that he can do well for an entire game.

Linebacker depth is a concern as many have mentioned. Ty Powell is getting a lot of praise and hype but I need to see it on the field so I feel better about it. I'm not sure that Steward makes the team but I hope he turns out to be a late round steal.

I'm concerned about cornerback behind Gilmore. McKelvin is very hit and miss to me and while I think Darby can be great, you don't usually see rookie CBs thrive. If Graham is a full-time safety, the depth on the outside concerns me. Will Ross Cockrell step up in year two? Can Ron Brooks play consistently if called upon? In the slot, I love Nickell Robey so I don't have any concerns there.

At safety, I need to see Aaron Williams play like he did in 2013, not 2014. Considering they're moving to a scheme similar to the one the team ran in 2013, I'm hopeful.

I am concerned with stopping the run. Didn't do it under Pettine and I am more that a little curious about how they will do now under a similar system.

I think it'll be up to the LBs. They're going from a one-gap responsibilty to a two-gap responsibility, so they need to step it up. I think Brown will be fine and it would've helped to keep Spikes. Bradham is more of a question mark.