Define your "successful" season?

94 members have voted

1. 1. as a fan which type of season would you rather have?

• We end our playoff drought, get trounced in the wild card game, and each QB starts throughout the season and nobody seperates from the pack?
    • We miss the playoffs because of a tie breaker, but EJ emerges as our starter and shows he can lead this team for the future?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went with a null vote.

If #1 happens (with the QB's that is), I doubt they make the playoffs.

If #2 happens (with EJ that is), there's no reason they shouldn't make the playoffs.

Sorry :unsure:

Well said. Our defense is so talented that there is no way we miss the playoffs with quality QB play. Therefore EJ would have to play like crap for us to miss the playoffs.

I voted for the latter. If somehow we don't get into the playoffs with EJ ready to lead the team for the next 5-10 years, there's no way they're going to keep us out for much longer. With still no option at QB and us getting in, #1 we don't go very far and #2 we begin to lose good players to contracts next season.

#1 - making the playoffs is the only definition of a "successful season" for me.

#2- an emerging EJ who earns the starters role is a nice consolation prize...kinda like getting jack eichel....a key building block for the future.

I am going with a null vote as well. Neither of those years would be a success to me. I am not judging success based on the QB play. I am judging success based on the team and team only.

A successful season to me would be a record of at least 10-6. You really can't control tiebreakers and things like that. The "playoffs or bust" thing doesn't work for me for that reason. 10-6 or better and I will feel like they played to their potential. That should get you to the playoffs but if you miss while winning double digit games that is bad luck not a bad year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I would define the season as successful with a playoff berth at minimum.

I would define the ideal season as a playoff berth + EJ proving to be a viable starter for the future.

Frankly, I don't see how this roster doesn't make the playoffs if it turns out that EJ is a viable starter. QB is the only reason we aren't in the conversation yet.

loaded poll, i like the premise of a successful season though.

To me it is a season with a ....

1. 10-6 record or higher

2. a playoff win (nothing is worse than getting bounced first round, id rather miss them and avoid injury and the lower draft position.)

3. 4 close wins, 3 comeback wins, 3 blowouts ,and all close losses (blowouts are boring but you need to drop 50 a few times a season)

4. 2-3 draftees breaking out

5. a season where we lead the league in something-ie defense, sacks, ints, rushing yards etc....(obviously it wont be passing)

this to me makes a great season. I dont need a superbowl to enjoy the team, i can even enjoy having just 2 or 3 of the above. ironically, one of my favorite seasons was 2010 where we didnt have the wins or record but every game was close SJ CJ and fitz came into their own, we won 4 games that year but i loved watching the team try and almost win. we had 3 OT games that year, all losses! we also got better towards the end. probably we had hope for the future after cutting turdwards.

The way this team is stacked, they should make playoffs with average QB play. The only way I see option 2 happening is that the entire defense goes down with injuries and EJ lights it up anyway to make it competitive.

Playoffs. Both options suck, btw.

Wanted to vote, but both options suck.

I don't think both options suck, they are just a part of a whole that we all want. That's why I picked a null vote. Would it be great for the playoff drought to end, of course. I would even be happy going 8-8 with EJ or whomever looking great and showing that they are going to be the QB for the next few years at least.

It would just be nice to see something solid that we are going to continue to build on in either case.

I voted for the latter. If somehow we don't get into the playoffs with EJ ready to lead the team for the next 5-10 years, there's no way they're going to keep us out for much longer. With still no option at QB and us getting in, #1 we don't go very far and #2 we begin to lose good players to contracts next season.

Yep, me as well on my vote. For all we know the AFC will have a bunch of 10-6 or 11-5 teams and since we OWN the NFC, we may slip up in a tiebreaker.

Nothing less than a playoff WIN will be marked as a successful season in my book. QB Improvement, ending the leagues longest drought, those are great, but losing in the first round of the playoffs seems almost like you didn't belong there in the first place.

please modify to add the following option and I will add my vote to the poll.

I'll opt for this option

We end our playoff drought, get trounced in the wild card game, but EJ emerges as our starter and shows he can lead this team for the future?

but would much prefer this

We end our playoff drought, and EJ emerges as our starter and shows he can lead this team for the future?

Nothing less than a playoff WIN will be marked as a successful season in my book. QB Improvement, ending the leagues longest drought, those are great, but losing in the first round of the playoffs seems almost like you didn't belong there in the first place.

I disagree. If they get in on their own, without some mathematical breakdown to the 3rd, 4th, 5th tie breaker, there's no reason they don't belong.

When a team gets into the playoff going 7-9 to win the division, then you can say there is no reason for them to be there.

I went with a null vote.

If #1 happens (with the QB's that is), I doubt they make the playoffs.

If #2 happens (with EJ that is), there's no reason they shouldn't make the playoffs.

Sorry :unsure:

I agree with this logic.

The two options in the poll are rather specific, contrived, and don't make a whole lot of sense, with all due respect to the original poster.

For the record, the mark of a successful season, this year, is to make the playoffs, and nothing less.

What happens in the playoffs is immaterial to that.

Whatever gets me exciting football and a 1st round QB next year.

(No, I don't want them to lose for the QB. I'd like to see a Wild-Card game, with no QB separating from the pack.)

Build the team up as much as possible, get the schemes in place...drop Cook or Hackenberg or whomever in at QB next year.

#1 - making the playoffs is the only definition of a "successful season" for me.

#2- an emerging EJ who earns the starters role is a nice consolation prize...kinda like getting jack eichel....a key building block for the future.

This pretty much. With all the hype, I am going to be disappointed if we don't win a playoff game. But that is asking a lot from a team that hasnt been good in awhile

Choice 3 - The Bills miss the playoffs on a last minute field goal to the Patriots Who subsequently are caught with an over inflated special team ball and DQ'd. So the Bills get in but QB's still stink, but we win our first playoff playoff game by going all wildcat and wish bone.

A stupid choice but right in line with the first two.

Forgetting the options, a "successful" season to me is simply making the playoffs, even if we lose in the first round.

We really need to end the drought.

And any team that makes the playoffs is relevant. I want the Bills to be relevant again.

Well said. Our defense is so talented that there is no way we miss the playoffs with quality QB play. Therefore EJ would have to play like crap for us to miss the playoffs.

a pile of IR type injuries would take us out of the playoffs, as it has done for so many teams over the years. never discount the injury factor in the NFL. "next man up" is a bunch of garbage in most cases. the dropoff from starter to 2nd string is pretty dramatic in the NFL.

Edited by 8and8Forever