Define your "successful" season?

94 members have voted

1. 1. as a fan which type of season would you rather have?

• We end our playoff drought, get trounced in the wild card game, and each QB starts throughout the season and nobody seperates from the pack?
    • We miss the playoffs because of a tie breaker, but EJ emerges as our starter and shows he can lead this team for the future?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If EJ doesn't lead this team to the playoffs, I just don't see him "emerging" as our starter for the future. Those things go hand in hand. We aren't the Raiders, where above average QB play will only get us to 8-8 at best.

So, A. I will worry about 5 years from now when we get there.

A successful season has to be...

1. Playoff appearance

2. At least a split with the Patriots and at least 3 wins in division

If EJ can show the ability to be the QB of the future along with some other young players rising to be the nucleus of this franchise then that also would be a good sign for the overall direction of things but shouldn't define the success of this season.

Which of these scenarios would you rather have?

1) A 7-8-1 record, playoff appearance & a 1st round loss

2) A 10-6 record, lose a playoff berth on a tiebreakers

For me it's the 10-6 record because they are progressing toward being real contenders. Just curious as to what you guys think?

That's a gut wrenching poll.

as someone already posted a Troll Poll

Add 2 or 3 other viable options and it would be worthy of proper discussion

Step 1 - Make the playoffs

Step 2 - look like a winner in the playoff game Win or Lose.

Step 1a - Win Division

IMO a playoff loss, and no clear cut starting QB, doesn't represent real progress. The Bills were already on that track with Marrone. A playoff win, or two, might be a sign of a team being good enough to get by without a true #1 QB.

OTOH, as many have already stated, finding that #1 QB, especially one as young as EJ, is huge. If the Bills don't make the playoffs in this scenario, it probably means the injury bug hit the team (defense, most likely) hard. Clearly this alternative represents real progress. Then again, if the reason the Bills miss the playoffs while EJ has a great year, is due to a terrible job at HC by Rex, this team is in trouble. I see that as a distinct possibility, as Rex has been a terrible HC the past 2-3 years. But I'm hoping he has learned some things, and the second time around is the charm.

I picked choice #2. The only decent option presented.

I care more about having fun watching the games than anything. I love this team, win or lose. We aren't winning playoff games with our qb sitch, but that's OK with me.

Last year we were fun to watch, so I'm happy with that.

Well I'll go as far as saying the defense was fun to watch. What happened after the back to back KC Fish games with the O was sometimes pretty offensive

3 - Sweeping the Pats**

Of the two bad choices I would say 1, but neither would really be successful in my mind. I have higher expectations, as I am sure most here do. In the end though, I just want to see some hard hitting, competitive and entertaining football being played by my Bills. I am certain we are going to get that at least.

Idk how anyone could pick option 2 after not being a serious contender for the past 15 years.

Couldn't agree more. If Rex is the coach his backers are saying he is and if Roman is really that great of an offensive coordinator (this one I'm not as confident in as everyone else seems to be) then I really see no reason we shouldn't at least make the playoffs even with our QB situation.

Really, sweep the East and play in AFC Championship. Don't care how or who the QB is.

Unfortunately, that WASN'T an option in the poll. I think everyone would take that.