HeadsetGate ? pats strike again ?

Dansby suspects foul play from 2008 game in New England

“My headset was working fine, every game,” Dansby said. “Until the very last game of the year. We get in Foxboro, they couldn’t get my headset fixed, for nothing in the world.”

In that same game, Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart also had trouble with his own headset.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/14/dansby-suspects-foul-play-from-2008-game-in-new-england/

Anyone caught the Walsh-parcells story in mike and Mike today?

Rule used to be in one set went out, both teams had to give them up. Walsh was the only coach scripting plays at the time, so he pretended it broke to get an advantage

Next time they faced off parcels said he'd turn them in if there was any funny business.

Not apples to apples but an amusing anecdote between two greats

Edited by NoSaint

The last time the Bills played at Indy in reg season, the equip manager forgot the headsets in Bflo. Apparently the colts weren't required to provide the bills coaches with headsets, but they did anyway. I don't know if the colts coaches would have had to go without them too, or not. Not really related but made me think of that.

“My headset was working fine, every game,” Dansby said. “Until the very last game of the year. We get in Foxboro, they couldn’t get my headset fixed, for nothing in the world.”

In that same game, Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart also had trouble with his own headset.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/14/dansby-suspects-foul-play-from-2008-game-in-new-england/

I have made note of this many times before RE opponent head set communications

no surprise here

I have made note of this many times before RE opponent head set communications

no surprise here

I actually still really believe that much of Brady's success is headset related. Most people have heard how Flutie said he picked up the wrong helmet once and transmission was still going well after the 15 second cut off rule. And I also think the main reason Goodell is so pissed and came down hard on them is because he covered up Spygate, making it appear far less than it was, and probably warned Kraft to get his organization under control. Kraft made him look like an a**hole.

The issue is that the Patsies* have created a perception that they will do anything to win. Perhaps inside the rules perhaps not. The idea of respect and sportsmanship has gone out the door. Sad to see because who knows what else they have done.

The issue is that the Patsies* have created a perception that they will do anything to win. Perhaps inside the rules perhaps not. The idea of respect and sportsmanship has gone out the door. Sad to see because who knows what else they have done.

You said it all. It's quite an example for the kids.

The Tuna used to have the gates blocking the tunnel at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands open when the opposition's O was driving toward that end zone. Miraculously the gates somehow shut when the Jints were going in that direction. :ph34r:

The issue is Vegas, and avoiding major lawsuits over fixing.

I actually still really believe that much of Brady's success is headset related. Most people have heard how Flutie said he picked up the wrong helmet once and transmission was still going well after the 15 second cut off rule. And I also think the main reason Goodell is so pissed and came down hard on them is because he covered up Spygate, making it appear far less than it was, and probably warned Kraft to get his organization under control. Kraft made him look like an a**hole.

You always hear the little things about the Pats* in 2011 I remember when the Ravens were in the AFC title game and there were issues with the scoreboard. The Pats* have always done these little gamesmenship things that have resulted in them losing the benifit of the doubt when it comes to infractions.

I was surprised that went away so quickly. It's not like Flutie had any reason to lie.

The issue is Vegas, and avoiding major lawsuits over fixing.

I was just saying this to my wife. I also wonder whether cheating in a sport that so many wager on might also be seen to be criminal fraud.

I was surprised that went away so quickly. It's not like Flutie had any reason to lie.

Flutie clammed up pretty quickly on that it sound like, saying it only once on a radio call in show. It was almost like someone talked to him shortly thereafter.

when stuff goes screwy they cant stop the broadcast. so it really is genius. evil but genuine genius to mess with scoreboards, communications, then even manipulating winds and sun in the eyes ,turf , cheerleaders underwear, sour gatorades. wrong jockstraps. whatever it takes..

winning is everything. thats what I care about.

Flutie clammed up pretty quickly on that it sound like, saying it only once on a radio call in show. It was almost like someone talked to him shortly thereafter.

Flutie doesn't want to get his knee caps whacked. He still has to pitch for his baseball team and play drums in his band.

Completely subscribe to this theory. The whole point to do the activities of Spygate as far as I'm concerned was ultimately enable the team to send Brady illegally obtained info in his headset illegally at the LOS. Part of his 'greatness' has always been uncannily recognizing the defense and throwing to the one open receiver the defense exposes. I'll never forget watching a game a RWS where there were two plays the Bills dialed an aggressive blitz and both times Brady just immediately wheeled back and just chucked the ball down the field to a spot for a completion without even looking as the defense came down on him. I was thinking to myself at the time how the hell did he know to just throw the ball there without seemingly even having a second once the ball was snapped to even know where the defense was.

6th round draft choice completely underwhelming coming out of college. Imagine if for your formative years as QB you knew what the defense was going to do before the ball was snapped. Imagine the advantage over time of mastering the position with this assistance.

There's no way in hell IMO he wasn't aware of the activities of Spygate, he was ultimately the main beneficiary of a much wider scope process of cheating of which Spygate was only one piece. I firmly believe this.

I hate the "he is the greatest, he doesn't need to cheat" argument. As far as I'm concerned the cheating is WHY he's been successful.

Yes, on the whole, the Patriots have shown that they are looking for ways to cheat the system to gain a competitive advantage.

One has to assume they have cheated in many ways. Some have been caught, presumably others have not been caught.

Even in the wake of this current mess, they are probably working on the next scheme. It's how they do business.

Is anyone really obtuse enough to believe that the patriots cheated twice and were caught both times? Get real!! They have been cheating, every game, every year, since Belicheat took the helm. 2006 teams are allowed to police their own footballs - 2006 is magically when the Patriots stop fumbling at un-imaginable rates.

And Brady is not just part of it, Brady IS it. He is the centerpiece. If he wasn't a get-along go-along type of guy this schit couldn't fly.

They are STILL stealing signals from other teams. How in the world would they have KNOWN BY THE FORMATION that the Seahawks were going to apss in the Superbowl???? Belicheat and their players admitted that they knew it was coming. This raises no red flags to anyone but me????

The things the Pts*** do on offense are impossible. No other team does such simple high school level things so easily in such an advanced league. It is simple NOT. POSSIBLE. without cheating. PERIOD.

Brady and Belicheat are frauds. They should be shunned and banned. Pete Rose bet on some games, these two losers are 1000x worse. It will be a disgrace if either of them ever make the HOF.

Why did the tech have to go cordless... That's when all the trouble started and it put a young kid out of business holding the coach's headset cord.

Really, this is an example where technology really screwed things up.

KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid

The old headset system was broke... Why change it?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I completely agree. Roger covered up Spygate and then Kraft made him look like an ass by demanding an apology to him and Tom. This is the only logical reason it has gone this far.

Yea but Kraft said they never ever never cheat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least two head coaches made similar claims to the League--Jack Del Rio and Rod Marinelli both complained to the League that their headsets went out at key moments (3rd downs when their offense had crossed midfield) at Gillette. That's been known for years.

I keep coming around over and over again to that NYT article from May,2008 in which two members of the NFL Competition Committee told the reporter "It was one team, over and over again, that was brought before us on suspicion of cheating, far more than anyone else"--your New England Patriots** ladies and gentlemen!

They are STILL stealing signals from other teams. How in the world would they have KNOWN BY THE FORMATION that the Seahawks were going to pass in the Superbowl???? Belicheat and their players admitted that they knew it was coming. This raises no red flags to anyone but me?

That's a very good point :thumbsup:

You always hear the little things about the Pats* in 2011 I remember when the Ravens were in the AFC title game and there were issues with the scoreboard. The Pats* have always done these little gamesmenship things that have resulted in them losing the benifit of the doubt when it comes to infractions.

Yep

Like others have said, I'm sure he was convinced not to in some way. Probably didn't want to be dragged into a discussion on it and regretted even letting it slip out originally. Funny how Pats** things related to cheating tend to get downplayed and go away.

I completely agree. Roger covered up Spygate and then Kraft made him look like an ass by demanding an apology to him and Tom. This is the only logical reason it has gone this far.

Obviously it's impossible to know the truth on this stuff, but it's just what is likely in my opinion. It's what my gut is telling me. I tend to come to accurate conclusions on peoples' motivations.

Completely subscribe to this theory. The whole point to do the activities of Spygate as far as I'm concerned was ultimately enable the team to send Brady illegally obtained info in his headset illegally at the LOS. Part of his 'greatness' has always been uncannily recognizing the defense and throwing to the one open receiver the defense exposes. I'll never forget watching a game a RWS where there were two plays the Bills dialed an aggressive blitz and both times Brady just immediately wheeled back and just chucked the ball down the field to a spot for a completion without even looking as the defense came down on him. I was thinking to myself at the time how the hell did he know to just throw the ball there without seemingly even having a second once the ball was snapped to even know where the defense was.

6th round draft choice completely underwhelming coming out of college. Imagine if for your formative years as QB you knew what the defense was going to do before the ball was snapped. Imagine the advantage over time of mastering the position with this assistance.

There's no way in hell IMO he wasn't aware of the activities of Spygate, he was ultimately the main beneficiary of a much wider scope process of cheating of which Spygate was only one piece. I firmly believe this.

I hate the "he is the greatest, he doesn't need to cheat" argument. As far as I'm concerned the cheating is WHY he's been successful.

Yeah, it's what makes sense. Brady's rise to stardom, while possible, is SO unlikely. Look at his draft pic. I had a better physique my senior year in high school. He looks like a skinny-fat 40 year old lesbian. Then he quickly develops a extremely strong arm and an uncanny ability to ALWAYS ALWAYS find the open receiver. As far as I'm concerned, what he's done is impossible without assistance. I still wish Spygate: The Untold Story went more mainstream. Their system was far more complex than anyone realizes. I still hear cheaters fans (blowhards if a group of people ever were) claim it was simply a few videos of game tape taken from the wrong spot on the field, that's all. They think that's as far as it goes. We can thank Goodell and the media for that. ESPN spent days and weeks analyzing TO's 'suicide' attempt and Bountygate from every angle, but all main reporters suddenly clammed up on the details of Spygate past a few illegal tapings. If we were privy to the details of their system employed by Ernie Adams, Brady, Belicheck, and others, maybe it would have been revealed. Or the tapes made public. Oh yeah, Goodell burned them.

On a side note, I hate that team for making me angry whenever I think of them and/or the NFL. I love the Bills and I love the sport of football and grew up wanting to be the next Jim Kelly, but my association with the sport now is negative. Not just bc the Bills have been bad for 15 years but also bc a team that has clearly been cheating and getting ridiculously favorable calls for years is rubbing in our faces constantly.

Edited by ko12010

I remember the whole narrative on Brady pre-spygate was how much "film" he watched. They dropped that phrase for the most part, but before thats all you would hear.

To me, I have always suspected something fishy with Brady. The guy has like no highlight reel. The Patriots always run a simple number of plays... but nearly always guess correctly.

I recall the Bills/Pats game in Buffalo in 2012? Buffalo seemed to have their number, but the Patriots came out at halftime, running a rotation of 3 plays, guessing correctly every single time and scoring like 6 straight touchdowns. It didnt look right to me. This team always seems to do that. They aren't that lucky. They aren't the only team "looking at film". Miscellaneous running backs, miscellaneous WRs. The guys always seem to stink elsewhere. They have recently seemed to suffer all sorts of major injuries... But Brady is "so good" he can elevate the franchise be a top 2 or 3 team in the league for 15 straight years?

Edited by May Day 10

I remember the whole narrative on Brady pre-spygate was how much "film" he watched. They dropped that phrase for the most part, but before thats all you would here.

To me, I have always suspected something fishy with Brady. The guy has like no highlight reel. The Patriots always run a simple number of plays... but nearly always guess correctly.

I recall the Bills/Pats game in Buffalo in 2012? Buffalo seemed to have their number, but the Patriots came out at halftime, running a rotation of 3 plays, guessing correctly every single time and scoring like 6 straight touchdowns. It didnt look right to me. This team always seems to do that. They aren't that lucky. They aren't the only team "looking at film". Miscellaneous running backs, miscellaneous WRs. The guys always seem to stink elsewhere. They have recently seemed to suffer all sorts of major injuries... But Brady is "so good" he can elevate the franchise be a top 2 or 3 team in the league for 15 straight years?

This is a great point. Also, how often has it been talked about that the Pats** are SOOOO great at halftime adjustments. I remember one Broncos game specifically just a couple years ago. Down 21-0 or something maybe 24-0, and come out after halftime with a perfect answer for everything Peyton and his boys did. It wasn't just your typical reset and reformulate the plan type of halftime. It was something different. They won the game, naturally. But this has been a mainstay in the Pats** dynasty. The 2nd half domination. This is detailed in Spygate: The Untold Story. The key was Ernie Adams breaking down the opposing teams signals during halftime (the guy is a savant or something) and getting Brady and the gang the info needed to have an answer for everything.

I'm in final negotiations with a Big Five publisher for one of my novels (crossing my fingers, this stuff isn't final until the contract is signed) and if things go well I may be in a position to have a decent public platform. I vow to advocate for Bryan O'Leary's book at every possible opportunity. I want it to be on everyone's nightstand in the entire country. I f******* hate that team so much.

I vow to advocate for Bryan O'Leary's book at every possible opportunity. I want it to be on everyone's nightstand in the entire country. I f******* hate that team so much.

I love your enthusiasm! :lol:

Agreed!!!

Is anyone really obtuse enough to believe that the patriots cheated twice and were caught both times? Get real!! They have been cheating, every game, every year, since Belicheat took the helm. 2006 teams are allowed to police their own footballs - 2006 is magically when the Patriots stop fumbling at un-imaginable rates.

And Brady is not just part of it, Brady IS it. He is the centerpiece. If he wasn't a get-along go-along type of guy this schit couldn't fly.

They are STILL stealing signals from other teams. How in the world would they have KNOWN BY THE FORMATION that the Seahawks were going to apss in the Superbowl???? Belicheat and their players admitted that they knew it was coming. This raises no red flags to anyone but me????

The things the Pts*** do on offense are impossible. No other team does such simple high school level things so easily in such an advanced league. It is simple NOT. POSSIBLE. without cheating. PERIOD.

Brady and Belicheat are frauds. They should be shunned and banned. Pete Rose bet on some games, these two losers are 1000x worse. It will be a disgrace if either of them ever make the HOF.

I totally agree if you thought they cheated only twice and got caught both times you are crazy!

YEP!

Yea but Kraft said they never ever never cheat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When will the Pats ** give their apologies for this debacle!? That is the worst part to me (not really, but possibly), Kraft demanding an apology immediately from the NFL. One of the 32 owners believes he is bigger than the league. If he demanded an apology after doing research and looking into the situation I could understand. But, without any information he demanded it?! That to me shows he is not part of the solution, but, part of the problem!!!!

well the good thing is it seems the gloves are off. Before it was a helpless position in that it felt like the NFL had the Patriots' back.

Agreed. The Pats ** may have slit their own throat and opened up a can of whoop a$$ on themselves!

From NFL.com

» Two defensive players from each team will be identified and will be authorized to have receivers in their helmets, one as the primary and the other as the backup.

» The primary player will have one "live" helmet on the field and a second "live" helmet stored in a secured trunk or container as a backup in case of a malfunction.

» The backup player will wear his regular helmet on the field and will have a "live" helmet stored in the secured trunk or container in the event of an injury to the primary player.

» At no time will two defensive players from the same team be permitted to wear "live" helmets, either on the sideline or on the field, after pregame warm-ups or during the game.

» The secured storage trunk or container will be of exact and identical specifications and will be provided by the league to all 32 clubs. The backup "live" helmet for the primary player and the single "live" helmet for the secondary player, along with two spare battery packs, will be secured in the trunk. The trunks will be positioned behind the benches near the Motorola communication centers and will be designated as off-limits areas to players, coaches, and club personnel. The trunks will be clearly marked, and access will be controlled and monitored by NFL personnel or designees throughout the game.

» The helmets will be tested in pregame, as is done with the coach-to-quarterback helmets, and the two backup helmets will be immediately secured in the trunk.

» The NFL personnel assigned to the game or their designees will maintain a written log of the usage and return of the backup helmets and spare battery packs. The form will be sent to the league office each week for review.

All Dansby had to do was go behind his bench and ask for the backup live helmet. This sounds bogus. The NFL brings the trunk with the helmets to the games, the home team has nothing to do with that.

The there is this from 2007, just after spygate broke.(ESPN):

Several coaches and players contacted for this story said they have never witnessed attempts to work around the 15-second cutoff. A few others, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said they found out about such shenanigans from assistant coaches who had left offending teams.

None of these coaches implicated the Patriots.

There are at least four ways to bypass the cutoff system, sources said.

A team could reprogram its radio system to remove the cutoff official from the equation, sending signals directly from the coach's headset to the quarterback's helmet. It could modify the equipment in the booth to achieve the same end. It could install a separate communications system, allowing another coach or quarterback to provide last-second updates. Or, a team could interfere with wires between the sideline and the press box.

The cutoff official, seated near the game-clock and play-clock operators, would not know the difference. But if a random check revealed cheating, commissioner Roger Goodell would presumably come down hard, particularly in the current climate.

"If you are a head coach and your job is in jeopardy, screw it," the offensive assistant said. "If you get two more wins, you save your job."

The coach said he knew of one team that equipped its backup quarterback with a device that allowed the backup to feed information to the starter after the 15-second cutoff.

The backup quarterback he cited is no longer in the league, and the head coach is working as an assistant.

The Minnesota Vikings and Seattle Seahawks have complained publicly about communication problems at Washington's FedEx Field, where faulty antennas have been suspected. Tampa Bay has had headset issues in Philadelphia, according to a former Bucs official.

Teams choose from 268 million encryption codes each week to scarmble theri signals.

pretty much agree with everuthimg

I have to wonder too, if Richard Shermans' open questioning of Roger Goodell's overly cozy relationship with Kraft and the Patriots, didn't play into this too...

Granted, I think Brady's punishment is well deserved, but I think if this exact thing had happened, say in 2013, this whole thing would have been similarly swept under the rung, like spygate. I know many feel the punishment handed down wasn't harsh enough, but I was pretty shocked by it. I would have been happy if they had gotten more, but still, surprised, given the way things like this have normally been handled by the NFL.

Edited by Buftex

I have to wonder too, if Richard Shermans' open questioning of Roger Goodell's overly cozy relationship with Kraft and the Patriots, didn't play into this too... granted, I think Brady's punishment is well deserved, but I think if this exact thing had happened, say, in 2013, this whole thing would have been similarly swept under the rung, like Spygate.

spygate was a pretty hefty punishment. I like your posts buftex, and hope not to offend, but it reads like trying to keep our victim card strong to push sentiment along the lines of "yea, they punished them this time, but they wouldnt have all those other times we were complaining about them"

Goodell burns spygate tapes...Kraft is head of compensation committee and gives ol Roger a 300 million dollar contract a couple years later. Coincidence?

im sure 31 other owners would be thrilled by kraft bribing roger to let him cheat against them by using their own money.

spygate was a pretty hefty punishment. I like your posts buftex, and hope not to offend, but it reads like trying to keep our victim card strong to push sentiment along the lines of "yea, they punished them this time, but they wouldnt have all those other times we were complaining about them"

im sure 31 other owners would be thrilled by kraft bribing roger to let him cheat against them by using their own money.

Why were the tapes burned? It's the appearance of impropriety. Nobody thought the pats would get anything for deflategate because of their relationship so it's not that far off a stretch.

No offense taken. To me, though, the punishment for "deflategate" seems a bit harsher than it might have been had there been no spygate. Not sure what you mean, exactly, by "keep our victim card strong". I think the NFL has been under fire the last year, from a lot of non-traditional sports outlets... with all of the domestic abuse issues, the outside media (as opposed to sports media) was all of the sudden taking shots at the NFL, and talking heads on all the news outlets were calling for Goodells' dismissal. Had all of this not gone down the way it had, I am not so sure Tom Brady would be facing any suspension. Sherman's criticism of Goodell, in regards to his chummy relationship with the Pats, during Super Bowl media week, was a bad look not only for the commissioner, but the NFL as well.

Lets' put it this way, had the punishment been doled out for this latest incident, and the Pats simply been forced to pay a fine, and lose a draft pick, would anyone have been shocked? I know many would have been pissed, but surprised? I don't think so.

I am sure you have heard all the comparisons between Goodells' handling of this, verses the way the Saints were dealt with, so I won't go over all of them. And, maybe the infractions aren't the same...no victim card being played, I just think that public perception, and PR played a big part in deflategate. I can't believe that Roger Goodell had any really great desire to suspend Tom Brady...but he really had to.

From NFL.com

All Dansby had to do was go behind his bench and ask for the backup live helmet. This sounds bogus. The NFL brings the trunk with the helmets to the games, the home team has nothing to do with that.

The there is this from 2007, just after spygate broke.(ESPN):

Teams choose from 268 million encryption codes each week to scarmble theri signals.

So jamming an opposing team's wireless headset is not possible? It's just coincidence that several teams have specifically had this problem at Gillette and nowhere else?

In addition, what say you to the reported post-Spygate discovery that the Pats** had an extra frequency above what the League allowed on their headsets? Was that to listen to the radio in between plays?

http://nypost.com/2014/10/12/they-are-cheaters-spygate-the-nfl-scandal-that-started-it-all/

Pretty good Spygate summary article from (shudder) the NY Post...,

So jamming an opposing team's wireless headset is not possible? It's just coincidence that several teams have specifically had this problem at Gillette and nowhere else?

In addition, what say you to the reported post-Spygate discovery that the Pats** had an extra frequency above what the League allowed on their headsets? Was that to listen to the radio in between plays?

http://nypost.com/2014/10/12/they-are-cheaters-spygate-the-nfl-scandal-that-started-it-all/

Pretty good Spygate summary article from (shudder) the NY Post...,

He didn't claim they were "jamming the signals", he claims they couldn't get "the" headset to work. There are 2 other headsets they could have used. Home team doesn't control opposing D's radio frequencies. The NFL does that.

What do I say? I say read the quote I cited where the guy tells how they do they do exactly that. And he was talking about team other than the pats. And there problems at Fedex and other fields too.

He didn't claim they were "jamming the signals", he claims they couldn't get "the" headset to work. There are 2 other headsets they could have used. Home team doesn't control opposing D's radio frequencies. The NFL does that.

What do I say? I say read the quote I cited where the guy tells how they do they do exactly that. And he was talking about team other than the pats. And there problems at Fedex and other fields too.

Seems to me if he used the other headsets the same problem would exist.