Eagles searching for trade parter for G. Evan Mathis

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But we need a guard. Personally, I still say we hold out for a QB, because that's what we really need.

I think we should strike while the iron's hot. Who knows where this team will be in four or five years when they revisit the "regionalization of the Bills" topic again...ya know how the NFL always pokes their nose in our affairs and the close proximity of Toronto. If Mathis is good and Clay is really good, then we should get something more.

I would trade a late rounder for him and maybe a low level player that Chip likes (Like Goodwin or some other marginal player with potential). I wouldn't deal the 3rd rounder for him but any other pick plus a late rounder next year or player seems like it would be a good price.

Only issue is, Mathis wants a pay increase, that's why the Eagles want to trade him. That's why I don't see it happening, the team is going to draft O-line round 2.

I think we should strike while the iron's hot. Who knows where this team will be in four or five years when they revisit the "regionalization of the Bills" topic again...ya know how the NFL always pokes their nose in our affairs and the close proximity of Toronto. If Mathis is good and Clay is really good, then we should get something more.

Exactly. I mean, Clay is good. Mathis, also good. I like good players. I want this team to be good. However, who's better short term, while they're still here. The phone is ringing in Pegula's office, and caller ID shows the 905 area code.

Mathis was described in one article I read as excelling at zone blocking. I dont think Roman's scheme uses zone blocking, more straight ahead mauling from what I know about it (which I admit is very limited).

I want a G or T as much as anyone and believe it would be the prefect cherry to a great offseason. But I want a guy who fits our scheme seamlessly if thats possible.

Only issue is, Mathis wants a pay increase, that's why the Eagles want to trade him. That's why I don't see it happening, the team is going to draft O-line round 2.

I haven't previously heard that. If true, with the Bills current cap situation, I would leave him alone. It does also help explain why the Eagles seem so intent on getting rid of him. Up until now I assumed it was simply a crazy Kelly reason.

If he can be content on his current salary however, a trade would cost us $5.5M and $6M next season.....which seems very reasonable(assuming he is as advertized). As the Eagles look desperate to offload him, I could imagine this happening for as little as a 5th or 6th.

Mind you, if we were going to restructure his deal I'd rather wait till the Eagles cut him.

We have anymore Oregon players? I like the idea, but at what cost and could we handle it with the current cap situation or who would possibly restructure/cut to free up the space needed?

Quick trade Billy Buffalo for the Duck and then trade the Duck.. Where is Whaley...Asleep at the frickin' wheel again...

Drew Rosenhaus is Evan Mathis' agent. Drew Rosenhaus is in Buffalo this week to negotiate a contract for Nigel Bradham. If the Eagles are trying to trade Mathis it's not out of the question he has permission to talk numbers with other teams and it's not out of the question that Rosenhaus is here for more than Bradham.

Drew Rosenhaus is Evan Mathis' agent. Drew Rosenhaus is in Buffalo this week to negotiate a contract for Nigel Bradham. If the Eagles are trying to trade Mathis it's not out of the question he has permission to talk numbers with other teams and it's not out of the question that Rosenhaus is here for more than Bradham.

Good stuff. Could very well be possible. :beer:

Hmm, now you're thinking.

May be a soft market for Mathis since there is a good chance he might get cut if he isn't traded.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/03/eagles_still_trying_to_trade_evan_mathis.html

Teams might be willing to wait that out unless the Eagles just dump him for a late rounder.

USA Today is also reporting that Rosenhaus is in Arizona at Owners meeting looking for a trade partner.

Not Buffalo.

https://twitter.com/ByJimCorbett/status/580066984731090944

Edited by dezertbill

I haven't previously heard that. If true, with the Bills current cap situation, I would leave him alone. It does also help explain why the Eagles seem so intent on getting rid of him. Up until now I assumed it was simply a crazy Kelly reason.

If he can be content on his current salary however, a trade would cost us $5.5M and $6M next season.....which seems very reasonable(assuming he is as advertized). As the Eagles look desperate to offload him, I could imagine this happening for as little as a 5th or 6th.

Mind you, if we were going to restructure his deal I'd rather wait till the Eagles cut him.

We could always make a little room by cutting Williams/Urbik.

We could always make a little room by cutting Williams/Urbik.

Williams will only save us $0.225M in cap if cut now. Urbik saves only $0.5M....and after his pay cut, he is now effectively being paid as an experienced backup. I'm thinking the FO want him on the roster at that price($2.2M).

Edited by Dibs

Williams will only save us $0.225M in cap if cut now. Urbik saves only $0.5M....and after his pay cut, he is now effectively being paid as an experienced backup. I'm thinking the FO want him on the roster at that price($2.2M).

actually if Williams designated Post June 1st its' a hair under $2 million we save. Buffalo has 2 designations per year, and haven't used any yet.

Agreed that Urbik doesn't make sense, and I don't think they would do that to him after he just agreed to a pay cut when you have Mario's contract you can renegotiate along with other players who could use pay cuts

Edited by dezertbill

True, possible and could happen for a late round pick.

Man, would this Off-season be epic if that happens! It's already been great, but this could be one for the ages.

Agreed!!