Rivers in 2016?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine Taylor or Manuel, plus either a 1st & 2nd round picks or two 1st round picks. It would be a lot to give up, but Rivers would instantly make us a Super Bowl contender.

Why isn't this deal done yet, it's a no-brainer! Buddy, asleep at the wheel!!

O_o

Ralph is cheap... Russ is cheap... Terry and Kim are cheap!

Edited by Jerry Jabber

In the offseason, Phillip Rivers stated he wants to be on a team that has a shot at a championship and doesn't feel that the Chargers will be that team. Has there been any news if Rivers is asking for a trade or is wanting out of SD? I've heard the Bills reporters mention in passing that the Bills are done in free agency/trades this season, unless it's for Rivers.

Rivers may want out, but with Brad Sorenson and Chase Rettig backing him up the only way he gets what he wants is if the Chargers see someone in 2016 they want to tank for

Rivers want to stay in SD and won't relocate to LA.

He's rich he can commute

If he won't go to LaLa land what makes people think he would even consider going to Buffalo????

Wait, you don't see why he'd want to come here?

Very good skill position talent, excellent defense, a team ready to win now that's just a QB away.

Rivers want to stay in SD and won't relocate to LA.

He's rich he can commute

If he won't go to LaLa land what makes people think he would even consider going to Buffalo????

For me I don't necessarily believe that he doesn't want to go to LA. I think that he is in year 11 or 12 and realizes that the window is closing. LA the perfect excuse to push his way out. He doesn't have to look like the bad guy or he quit on the franchise. If SD is a playoff team this year the talk will cease. If they win 4 or 5 games it will get louder.

The reason that Buffalo makes sense is that they are presumably a QB away from Super Bowl contention. The only other team in that boat is Houston (and possibly the Jets now). I would think if he forced his way out that would be the list in no particular order.

For me I don't necessarily believe that he doesn't want to go to LA. I think that he is in year 11 or 12 and realizes that the window is closing. LA the perfect excuse to push his way out. He doesn't have to look like the bad guy or he quit on the franchise. If SD is a playoff team this year the talk will cease. If they win 4 or 5 games it will get louder.

The reason that Buffalo makes sense is that they are presumably a QB away from Super Bowl contention. The only other team in that boat is Houston (and possibly the Jets now). I would think if he forced his way out that would be the list in no particular order.

The LA threat is nonsense, no matter who said it, when, and why. It makes zero sense. If he wants to stay with the Chargers he will. If he wants to try for a SB run in his last couple years he will go to the team he wants to the most, in another city.

The LA threat is nonsense, no matter who said it, when, and why. It makes zero sense. If he wants to stay with the Chargers he will. If he wants to try for a SB run in his last couple years he will go to the team he wants to the most, in another city.

Yep, it just gives him cover to not make a LeBron to Miami type of move. He can hide his true intentions. If the Chargers are good he will be in LA.

I would say Arizona could be on that "list", too, as well as possibly St. Louis, but they are a franchise with the same LA whispers, so I couldn't really see that happening.

Wait, you don't see why he'd want to come here?

Very good skill position talent, excellent defense, a team ready to win now that's just a QB away.

IF he is true to his "family values" and is not spouting a full load of crap, then no. I don't see him wanting to move his wife and 6 or 7 kids to Buffalo.

take that out of the equation and I would thing otherwise.

Which team would be willing to give him the top $ that I assume he would demand.

in demand for a QB in 2016 - viable options NYETS, Skins, Texans, Cardinals, 49ers, KC, Denver, Buffalo (yet again looking to a 10 year vet to resurrect some greatness).

WRT to the Rams. there is a risk they would get moved to LaLa land

I would say Arizona could be on that "list", too, as well as possibly St. Louis, but they are a franchise with the same LA whispers, so I couldn't really see that happening.

Other than Peyton Manning, which was a bit of an anomaly, when was the last time a team allowed a franchise QB become a FA?

I suppose the thing about Rivers is that the same club did let Drew Brees go.

I don't think that he ever hits FA. He will be tagged at worst. At age 34 or whatever he will be with $117M in the bank he has some leverage. He can threaten retirement and be serious about it. Peyton Manning dictated where he went and Rivers would do the same b/c of the retirement threat.

I don't think that anyone thinks that it is likely but there are reasons to believe that he may move on.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Other than Peyton Manning, which was a bit of an anomaly, when was the last time a team allowed a franchise QB become a FA?

I suppose the thing about Rivers is that the same club did let Drew Brees go.

I agree with you that the likelihood of Rivers being available is low and him becoming a free agent is zero. If anything they would franchise tag him and open up trade negotiations - obviously they will try to avoid that too.

The only analogy that can be drawn from the Brees situation is if there's another Rivers to take over for Brees situation that presents itself to them with Rivers for ..... IMO there's only 3 options. If they like Kaep so the 49ers would be possible - if they like Foles so the Rams would be possible - or if the team with the 1st overall pick next year offers it and they like a QB.

I don't see any possibility the Bills can get Rivers.

Edited by Triple Threat

This must have been covered in the previous 20 pages in this thread, but Rivers is reticent to sign a contract extension (should one be offered) because he is wary of the prospect of moving his wife, seven kids, and himself to Los Angeles, from San Diego. What would make any sane person think that he would be willing to move them to Buffalo?

This must have been covered in the previous 20 pages in this thread, but Rivers is reticent to sign a contract extension (should one be offered) because he is wary of the prospect of moving his wife, seven kids, and himself to Los Angeles, from San Diego. What would make any sane person think that he would be willing to move them to Buffalo?

Because no one believes that's the real reason Rivers wouldn't go to LA. He wants to win.

Because no one believes that's the real reason Rivers wouldn't go to LA. He wants to win.

If that were true, why would he be trying to sell himself as someone not wanting to move?

"What we've established here with my growing family is hard to recreate," he said. "It's hard to up and recreate that. I know that moves are part of life. But that certainly is fair to say that (not being sold on moving to Los Angeles) is part of it. The good thing is I'm not under contract in a year where we'd potentially be in Los Angeles."

If he's trying to drum up interest for another team, that would be a funny way of going about it.

Applebees

If that were true, why would he be trying to sell himself as someone not wanting to move?

"What we've established here with my growing family is hard to recreate," he said. "It's hard to up and recreate that. I know that moves are part of life. But that certainly is fair to say that (not being sold on moving to Los Angeles) is part of it. The good thing is I'm not under contract in a year where we'd potentially be in Los Angeles."

If he's trying to drum up interest for another team, that would be a funny way of going about it.

Because it isn't really looked at favorably to try to push your way out of a franchise that you have carried for 10+ years and built a potential HOF career with. It is the perfect smokescreen or cover for forcing his way out of town. He leaves the franchise with no ill will and his legacy in tact.

Because it isn't really looked at favorably to try to push your way out of a franchise that you have carried for 10+ years and built a potential HOF career with. It is the perfect smokescreen or cover for forcing his way out of town. He leaves the franchise with no ill will and his legacy in tact.

That makes sense.

But, I more or less take him at his word, here. The atmosphere in SD regarding their stadium, and the possibility they could move is pretty similar to the mood in Buffalo when the specter of moving to Toronto, or LA, was very real.

That makes sense.

But, I more or less take him at his word, here. The atmosphere in SD regarding their stadium, and the possibility they could move is pretty similar to the mood in Buffalo when the specter of moving to Toronto, or LA, was very real.

I don't think that anyone is convinced that he is leaving. He's negotiating. It also is the perfect excuse for him if they tank this year and move to LA. It's not likely but possible.

That makes sense.

As Kirby said, it's just a smokescreen. There would be no reason for him to move his family if the team moves to LA. He can commute, Kobe style, without uprooting his family if he were so inclined.

That makes sense.

The "specter" was only that, a ghost, not real at all. They were never going anywhere. Pegula was the buyer all the way.

I think SD has a good enough team to win the division. He has as good of a chance to win with his current squad as a lot of places. Buffalo has a better DL of course but SD has a better OL. At least on paper, in June.

If they don't get hit by the injury bug like they did last season, I think they are a playoff team again.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Pretty sure that was a trade, though I can't recall details. The Franchise QB ----> FA path is as rare as Sasquatch.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Rivers is going to be a UFA, are they? The only way Rivers leaves SD is via trade -- which he'd have to force management into by giving them an ultimatum of some kind... like saying he won't move his family to LA.

Why will people not accept that we cannot pay a established franchise QB anyway without tipping our our defensive applecart?

THEY ARE NOT COMING HERE

The only way we get a franchise QB is to draft one.....period

Im not sure I agree. If it cost us bradham and Gilmore I like our odds of drafting a lb and cb over hitting on qb.... And that's assuming they don't get creative with structures and manage them all. You seem to think that the Broncos and saints and other teams with qbs don't have other big names scattered around the roster. Brees has two 10m+ defensive ends a true #1 corner and Byrd across the ball from him Edited by NoSaint