Rivers in 2016?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you implying Twitter is for twits?

Ha ha, pretty much. I use twitter to hear a lot of the rumor type of stuff but it really depends on the source. I do not even need rumors to start with Schefter or Mort. I am okay hearing it from people like Massare that have some credibility and some track record of inside info. I have no idea where this one started but I have not yet seen verification from anyone that I respect.

there was talk at one point about giving cassel an extension to reduce his cap hit, and also keep him out of FA next year if they wanted to keep him. Hasn't happened though (yet).

i'm not down on cassel...in fact, i think he is going to surprise people and exceed expectations

but i am really high on rivers.....easily a top 10 Franchise QB....in the unlikely event he became available....nobody on this roster is safe in order to fit him in.

Edited by papazoid

This seems so unlikely, but I would basically move heaven and earth to get him if he were available. Wouldn't trade Sammy but whom else would you not make available?

apparently, EJ.

but yea, it would be tough to come up with an individual thats off the table completely.

I wonder what changes would be required to fit him under the cap.

If we did trade for Rivers you extend him. Turn his $15.7 million base into signing bonus. His cap hit on a 4 year extension could be around $5 million in 2015. Easily doable. Go longer and even lower.

Question is what would SD be looking for? Most likely the Bills don't have the ammo.

If we did trade for Rivers you extend him. Turn his $15.7 million base into signing bonus. His cap hit on a 4 year extension could be around $5 million in 2015. Easily doable. Go longer and even lower.

Question is what would SD be looking for? Most likely the Bills don't have the ammo.

I think it would have to be centered around Dareus and another young and talented player plus picks. You are talking about a playoff caliber performer at the most important position in the league.

It would have to be a trade that hurts.

This situation is a little different though in that Rivers has some power. He has made something like $120M-$140M on the field. If you throw in some endorsements he is in a pretty good place financially. He can always threaten retirement and take his 7 kids and bolo tie to some ranch in Montana. They cannot just send him to the Titans if he is not okay with it.

I suspect that, much like Peyton, he will have a short list of places that he will be willing to go if not in SD. Buffalo would seem to be at our near the top of that list. The Texans also make some sense but I cannot see him going anywhere else.

Maybe this years #2 and next year's 1 & 2 or this year's 2 and the next 2 year's #1's? Something like that is my thought.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

This situation is a little different though in that Rivers has some power. He has made something like $120M-$140M on the field. If you throw in some endorsements he is in a pretty good place financially. He can always threaten retirement and take his 7 kids and bolo tie to some ranch in Montana. They cannot just send him to the Titans if he is not okay with it.

I suspect that, much like Peyton, he will have a short list of places that he will be willing to go if not in SD. Buffalo would seem to be at our near the top of that list. The Texans also make some sense but I cannot see him going anywhere else.

Maybe this years #2 and next year's 1 & 2 or this year's 2 and the next 2 year's #1's? Something like that is my thought.

See that's waaaaaayyyyy too much for him. He's on his way out.

This year's 2 and 2016 no 1st pick and 2017 no 1st pick

Screw that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not down with that. So far the front office has done a splending job. Giving up those type of picks for dopey would be a very unwise move. Borderling stupid. IN MY OPINION.

12 year veterans dont deserve 2 1st round picks and a #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See that's waaaaaayyyyy too much for him. He's on his way out.

This year's 2 and 2016 no 1st pick and 2017 no 1st pick

Screw that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not down with that. So far the front office has done a splending job. Giving up those type of picks for dopey would be a very unwise move. Borderling stupid. IN MY OPINION.

It is not going to be cheap to acquire a future HOF QB with 4-5 years left. That is probably the going rate. Maybe you can get away a little cheaper but it will be AT LEAST a 1 & 2. I cannot imagine a scenario where it would be less.

EJ, our 2nd this year and a conditional pick next year (a 1st if we make the playoffs, a 3rd if we are drafting top 10, a 2nd if it's in between).

Anything more is too much of an overpay for a guy who has never really had post season success despite being on some loaded teams and looked like he was in real trouble up until 2013.

Dareus? Multiple 1sts? LOL, no.

It is not going to be cheap to acquire a future HOF QB with 4-5 years left. That is probably the going rate. Maybe you can get away a little cheaper but it will be AT LEAST a 1 & 2. I cannot imagine a scenario where it would be less.

Id be really surprised if he plays 4-5 years. He's already played 11.

If SD is trying to get Mariota then they want a 1st this year.

The rumors are baseless anyways. Now next year I can see SD franchising Rivers and then trading him.

If SD is trying to get Mariota then they want a 1st this year.

The rumors are baseless anyways. Now next year I can see SD franchising Rivers and then trading him.

I think that is more likely as well.

Id be really surprised if he plays 4-5 years. He's already played 11.

He is 3 years younger than Brees and like 5 or 6 younger than Manning. It is not improbable to think that he has not only 4-5 years left but 4-5 good years left.

I don't believe Rivers makes the HOF, I see him as only slightly above the Bledsoe/Testaverde level of QBs and no one is mentioning their name and HOF in the same sentence.

I don't believe Rivers makes the HOF, I see him as only slightly above the Bledsoe/Testaverde level of QBs and no one is mentioning their name and HOF in the same sentence.

He has thrown for more yards than Kelly (and has 4-5 years left), he is 6th all-time in passer rating, 16th in TDs (should move into the top 10 this year), and is a 5 time pro bowler. It is not far fetched (in fact it is likely) that he will end up in Canton.

if he has 5 more good years (and especially if he gets a ring), hes got a pretty good resume. as kirby points out, hes entering that "last big deal" stage that brees, manning and brady are all on the way out of soon. its not unrealistic that he could have 5 solid years left.

i normally hate the dramatic flair of we could win a SB with 1 player, but i think hed be in the list of players that would give us a good shot - between the size of the boost hed give the offense and length of time he might play, its not unreasonable.

Edited by NoSaint

He has thrown for more yards than Kelly (and has 4-5 years left), he is 6th all-time in passer rating, 16th in TDs (should move into the top 10 this year), and is a 5 time pro bowler. It is not far fetched (in fact it is likely) that he will end up in Canton.

Completely different game from when Jim played and many believe Kelly shouldn't be in the HOF. Testeverde, Bledsoe and Kerry Collins have some pretty nice career statistics as well.

4 playoff wins in 11 years....