Rivers in 2016?

oh Kirby, you've thrown curve balls at me before - once bitten twice shy!

please forgive my resistance to fall into a trap.

Can you guarantee Drew will play the best he's ever played while not leading the NFL in passes and passing yardage then I'd be willing to do so.

@ age 36 in his 15th season .. YES WEO, Drew is past his prime, so is Peyton Manning, and (here it is) so is Tom Brady. Philip Rivers is also on the bad side of 30. ergo on the downslope.

Now before you kneejek into a responce. Just because a player is past his prime does not mean that they cannot play well.

As always, we don't have the benefit of hindsight. If 4900+ yards is "past someone's prime" please tell me where I can sign up for someone like that. You need to use foresight. You are the GM of the Bills. I cannot guarantee you the outcome of any trade.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course we don't have the benefit of hindsight, nor do we have the benefit of foresight.

If this was 4 or 5 years ago I would not hesitate one second to trade EJ or any Bills QB for Drew Breese.

I have stated numerous times, while impressive, leading the league in passing yards guarantees you nothing.

That being said my friend, I will give you the answer you seek -

Today @ $5 Million for 1 season, I would trade Drew for EJ. but I'd very much be kicking myself in the butt if EJ were to prove himself. Then I'd (as GM) look like a tool for doing so.

Today @ $25 Million for 1 season, I would not trade Drew for EJ.

As always, we don't have the benefit of hindsight. If 4900+ yards is "past someone's prime" please tell me where I can sign up for someone like that. You need to use foresight. You are the GM of the Bills. I cannot guarantee you the outcome of any trade.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

of course we don't have the benefit of hindsight, nor do we have the benefit of foresight.

If this was 4 or 5 years ago I would not hesitate one second to trade EJ or any Bills QB for Drew Breese.

I have stated numerous times, while impressive, leading the league in passing yards guarantees you nothing.

That being said my friend, I will give you the answer you seek -

Today @ $5 Million for 1 season, I would trade Drew for EJ. but I'd very much be kicking myself in the butt if EJ were to prove himself. Then I'd (as GM) look like a tool for doing so.

Today @ $25 Million for 1 season, I would not trade Drew for EJ.

You don't need to trade for 1 season. You are exchanging players from here on out. So if I am clear you would not trade EJ for Brees because of his current contract. What about Rivers?

He sucks now and will be worse in 2016. What has he done lately that is so great?

Sarcasm font?

Why do folks even tease themselves with this stuff? Rivers is a legit franchise QB and not some borderline guy like Cutler, Bradford, Foles, etc.

Teams don't let franchise qbs unless there is a major injury. Rivers is going to have a monster season and Stevie Johnson will have a nice bounce back in Whale's Vagina.

Kirby, You asked, and I replied - As a GM those are my stipulations. Take them or not.

Ok, so you are saying that you would make the trade contingent upon a restructure? I am confused as to what you are saying you would or would not do?

Why do folks even tease themselves with this stuff? Rivers is a legit franchise QB and not some borderline guy like Cutler, Bradford, Foles, etc.

Teams don't let franchise qbs unless there is a major injury. Rivers is going to have a monster season and Stevie Johnson will have a nice bounce back in Whale's Vagina.

Thank you for being the most reasonable EJ fan on the board. You feel that he needs more of a chance to develop before being written off. Is it fair to say that you would deal him in a second for a franchise QB like the guys mentioned above?

oh Kirby, there is no confusion. You've thrown curve balls at me before - once bitten twice shy my friend. please forgive my resistance to fall into a trap.

If you can you guarantee that Drew will play the best he's ever played while not leading the NFL in passes and passing yardage then I'd be willing to do so.

@ age 36 in his 15th season .. YES WEO, Drew is past his prime, so is Peyton Manning, and (here it is) so is Tom Brady. Philip Rivers is also on the bad side of 30. ergo on the downslope.

Now before you kneejek into a responce. Just because a player is past his prime does not mean that they cannot play well.

EDIT - Passing yards can also mean a weakness - Playing from behind or being one dimentional.. both are bad traits. 7-9 baby!!! feel proud

So your main (only) criteria for "prime" is age. Therefore, despite all evidence to the contrary, Brees is past his prime.

You are the first to descibe Brees's game as "one dimentional" and being a perennial league leader in passing (and leading the NFL's top ranked offense) as "a weakness".

I must say, when in a hole, no one keeps digging quite like you do.

So your main (only) criteria for "prime" is age. Therefore, despite all evidence to the contrary, Brees is past his prime.

You are the first to descibe Brees's game as "one dimentional" and being a perennial league leader in passing (and leading the NFL's top ranked offense) as "a weakness".

I must say, when in a hole, no one keeps digging quite like you do.

It's odd right? It's not just me?

If he's reluctant to move up the road to LA, I can't see him uprooting the family to play in Buffalo for a couple of years...

I agree. Rivers was born in Alabama, went to North Carolina St and has played in San Diego for his entire NFL career so I don't think it's likely Buffalo would make his list of teams he'd be interested in.

He has no reverse...

It is fine that he likes EJ so much but it is not fathomable to have reservations about trading EJ for Brees or Rivers. Obviously, neither the Chargers or Saints would ever even consider this. I was trying to see where the line was. Apparently the 4th leading passer of all-time coming off roughly a 5,000 yard season is still on the "no" side of the ledger. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Ok, so you are saying that you would make the trade contingent upon a restructure? I am confused as to what you are saying you would or would not do?

Thank you for being the most reasonable EJ fan on the board. You feel that he needs more of a chance to develop before being written off. Is it fair to say that you would deal him in a second for a franchise QB like the guys mentioned above?

I just want to clarify. I'm a fan of letting young players, especially Qbs develop. I like EJ's makeup and think he isn't close to being as bad as he is made out here. We like to eat our young and I want an offensive coaching staff that isn't brain dead to coach him.

That said, I feel that if a qb is on the market, they are very flawed in some way. Teams don't let legit franchise Qbs hit the market. I am more than fine with our current group of Qbs competing for the job and reassessing after the season. A lot can happen between now and next offseason.

I usually find these types of posts humorous at best, but Rivers is certainly in the realm of possibilities for the Bills next year. Particularly if SD drafts an early QB (which is being rumored). If that happens it could mean Rivers separates from SD next off season.

If the Bills put up a decent showing this year, it could be enough to attract him. Still, there are ton of variables that make this just a thought for the moment.

Also, for the record. I'm a huge Rivers fan regardless of his future. He is a very good QB, that has not had much talent to work with over the last 5+ years.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I usually find these types of posts humorous at best, but Rivers is certainly in the realm of possibilities for the Bills next year. Particularly if SD drafts an early QB (which is being rumored). If that happens it could mean Rivers separates from SD next off season.

If the Bills put up a decent showing this year, it could be enough to attract him. Still, there are ton of variables that make this just a thought for the moment.

Also, for the record. I'm a huge Rivers fan regardless of his future. He is a very good QB, that has not had much talent to work with over the last 5+ years.

Rivers still gets drunk on some weekends and throws rocks at Nate Kaeding's house.

If Rivers doesn't want to uproot his family for the short move to LA, maybe he's thinking he would retire?

If Rivers doesn't want to uproot his family for the short move to LA, maybe he's thinking he would retire?

That is my guess. That is how he can control where he goes. I would think that SD would tag him. He will have 4 options: play for the Chargers on the tag, sign a long term extension with the Chargers, demand a trade or retire. My guess is that if he did not want to go to LA he would request a trade and basically give the Chargers a list. He can threaten retirement if they try to deal him somewhere that he does not want to go.