Rivers in 2016?

So ANY opinion or feeling, is reasonable?

He can do what he likes, but the discussion is about his motivation for saying he doesn't want to play in LA. We are working with the information that has been made public, and the reason he gave doesn't make much sense. This has been discussed on the radio here in both LA and SD, and plenty questioned his statement, and countered with the same points I made.

It might read well to people elsewhere in the country, though... "yeah, he doesn't want his kids in that liberal cesspool of sin, Los Angeles", but anyone that has been through the area south of LA knows that it is nothing like the city. It's the Orange Curtain..

And again, if he was REALLY super concerned, he could remain in his current home, and commute to LA. Plenty of people have longer commutes.

i already said there is more than one factor. If his situation with the Chargers was perfect then the relo may not have as much of an impact. But to dissect whether or not his preference not to play in LA is "reasonable" is just noise and talk radio fodder. The only person it needs to be "reasonable" to is himself and his family. He has options to explore the situation that works best for him.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, Yes, there is a high concentration of nuts in LA, but he just has to work there. San Diego just feels like a distant suburb of LA to me.

nope. Gotta strongly disagree.

Lived in SD 16 years. Now in LA for 4 years.

San Diego is a lovely, spread-out, wonderland (for lack of a better term). But the pace of life is really really really slow. Its like Florida in some ways. A large retirement community.

LA is more hustle-bustle. Yes, LA has suburbs with different qualities. You can basically find any kind of neighborhood you want here.

The cities are similar in some ways. But nobody in LA thinks of SD as a suburb. SD is definitely "out of town" and a different place. And nobody in SD thinks of SD as having any remote connection, in any way, to LA, other than being in the same state.

So ANY opinion or feeling, is reasonable?

He can do what he likes, but the discussion is about his motivation for saying he doesn't want to play in LA. We are working with the information that has been made public, and the reason he gave doesn't make much sense. This has been discussed on the radio here in both LA and SD, and plenty questioned his statement, and countered with the same points I made.

It might read well to people elsewhere in the country, though... "yeah, he doesn't want his kids in that liberal cesspool of sin, Los Angeles", but anyone that has been through the area south of LA knows that it is nothing like the city. It's the Orange Curtain..

And again, if he was REALLY super concerned, he could remain in his current home, and commute to LA. Plenty of people have longer commutes.

With all due respect, this doesn't make sense to me. I admit I do have connection to the SD organization/front office. The practice facility will be in LA, exact location TBD, if they move. It will not be halfway between SD and LA. It will be in LA. The stadium with be in Carson. Until it is built, they will be playing at the Rose Bowl. The commute from where he lives in SD to anywhere in LA, with the traffic there, is not something he wants or needs to deal with on a daily basis. Sure, plenty of people have longer commutes. Because they want to, or because they have to. He doesn't fall into either category because he is about to become a FA, and he isn't convinced the team is built to win a SB. He isn't interested in driving an hour and a half to 2 hours each way. He wants to see his family. He is the type of guy who practically lives at the facility at it is. He wants to be close to home. He goes to mass every morning. It is his routine, and he likes it. I get people questioning him, but in many people's opinion there is a much different lifestyle in LA than in SD.

San Diego is a lovely, spread-out, wonderland (for lack of a better term). But the pace of life is really really really slow. Its like Florida in some ways. A large retirement community.

LA is more hustle-bustle. Yes, LA has suburbs with different qualities. You can basically find any kind of neighborhood you want here.

The cities are similar in some ways. But nobody in LA thinks of SD as a suburb. SD is definitely "out of town" and a different place. And nobody in SD thinks of SD as having any remote connection, in any way, to LA, other than being in the same state.

Yes, and he likes it this way. He will stay in SD, or he will go south.

I'm not comparing LA to San Diego.

I'm comparing Orange County to San Diego. He lives in a gated community north of San Diego, and there are plenty of very similar communities just up the road. He could even stay in San Diego County and play in LA.

With all due respect, this doesn't make sense to me. I admit I do have connection to the SD organization/front office. The practice facility will be in LA, exact location TBD, if they move. It will not be halfway between SD and LA. It will be in LA. The stadium with be in Carson. Until it is built, they will be playing at the Rose Bowl. The commute from where he lives in SD to anywhere in LA, with the traffic there, is not something he wants or needs to deal with on a daily basis. Sure, plenty of people have longer commutes. Because they want to, or because they have to. He doesn't fall into either category because he is about to become a FA, and he isn't convinced the team is built to win a SB. He isn't interested in driving an hour and a half to 2 hours each way. He wants to see his family. He is the type of guy who practically lives at the facility at it is. He wants to be close to home. He goes to mass every morning. It is his routine, and he likes it. I get people questioning him, but in many people's opinion there is a much different lifestyle in LA than in SD.

Tijuana?

As far as I know, the players stay with the team in a hotel the night before the game (not with their families). Pasadena is as slow as San Diego, so game day shouldn't be too "fast", if the kids are around.

I don't know where the training facilities will be (does he? is he complaining without even knowing?), but Carson is south of the city, and I am thinking they will keep things towards the south, if only to keep alive some San Diego connections.

Again, some gated communities of Southern Orange County, an hour up the road, are as sprawling, slow, and conservative as San Diego's.

I have to believe there is more to it

As far as I know, the players stay with the team in a hotel the night before the game (not with their families). Pasadena is as slow as San Diego, so game day shouldn't be too "fast", if the kids are around.

I don't know where the training facilities will be (does he? is he complaining without even knowing?), but Carson is south of the city, and I am thinking they will keep things towards the south, if only to keep alive some San Diego connections.

Again, some gated communities of Southern Orange County, an hour up the road, are as sprawling, slow, and conservative as San Diego's.

I have to believe there is more to it

surely if he LOVED the organization and saw a ring in sight it buys more flexibility on what he might tolerate. as is, maybe hes serious, or maybe hes just playing hardball to make sure they dont put him into the depths of blowing the whole thing up and rebuilding.

You put a Helicopter pad at the practice facility and one at Rivers house.

It wouldn't really be that expensive.

Throw it to the contract and it is all a business expense for the Chargers.

Problem solved.

When Philips came into the league he had a stacked WR core, TE and LT. That team certainly hasn't been generous with the tools for Phillips.

I'm guess there is something more to it than LA.

surely if he LOVED the organization and saw a ring in sight it buys more flexibility on what he might tolerate. as is, maybe hes serious, or maybe hes just playing hardball to make sure they dont put him into the depths of blowing the whole thing up and rebuilding.

Something like that seems more likely.

He is the face of the franchise, he is established in San Diego (and would still be nearby, to maintain connections). Anywhere else,and he is starting from scratch (Nashville is as far from Alabama as LA is from San Diego), he appears to be committed to the organization...why leave over moving an hour north?

I'm sure he doesn't WANT to move, but any other change will be just as extreme, with lots of unknowns...new city, new teammates, new front office, etc.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I say why wait until 2015? Let's go after him now. He would be the final piece to a championship caliber team with no QB. I would even trade next years number 1 for him along with some other picks spread out. This team is ready for a great QB and he still has a good 5 years left in him.

Bills won't be FA players in 2016

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/04/21/bills-wont-be-free-agent-players-next-year/

salary cap will be a issue when Bills FA's are re-signed

A lot can change in a year. That said, if the Bills re-sign Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore, they had a great offseason next year. Those 3 might be the top free agents available.

Bills won't be FA players in 2016

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/04/21/bills-wont-be-free-agent-players-next-year/

salary cap will be a issue when Bills FA's are re-signed

Not surprising IMO...the only thing I could see changing would be if they have a chance to land a FA QB like Rivers, Manning, Newton, Wilson, Foles, Bradford, RG3, etc. In that case, I think they'd make moves to allow that to happen...they could clear $2M by cutting Chris Williams, almost $4M by cutting McKelvin, $2.7m by cutting Manny Lawson, $1.8M by cutting Kraig Urbik, and that's before we get to the tough decisions, like whether or not they want to cut Kyle Williams to gain another $5M or Eric Wood to gain another $2.4M.

Not surprising IMO...the only thing I could see changing would be if they have a chance to land a FA QB like Rivers, Manning, Newton, Wilson, Foles, Bradford, RG3, etc. In that case, I think they'd make moves to allow that to happen...they could clear $2M by cutting Chris Williams, almost $4M by cutting McKelvin, $2.7m by cutting Manny Lawson, $1.8M by cutting Kraig Urbik, and that's before we get to the tough decisions, like whether or not they want to cut Kyle Williams to gain another $5M or Eric Wood to gain another $2.4M.

You're not finding a qb in FA unless there is a major injury. No franchise will ever trade or let a top 10 qb go. If they do, they aren't a franchise guy.

People hate patience nowadays but you're best bet is draft a guy and develop him. Rivers is a very good QB but I could easily see him having some Drew Bledsoe Cowboys years soon.

A lot can change in a year. That said, if the Bills re-sign Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore, they had a great offseason next year. Those 3 might be the top free agents available.

Bradham is a FA I believe too. I'm starting to think it is hard to keep hold of all 4 of those guys let alone keep them and pay a big FA Quarterback.

You're not finding a qb in FA unless there is a major injury. No franchise will ever trade or let a top 10 qb go. If they do, they aren't a franchise guy.

People hate patience nowadays but you're best bet is draft a guy and develop him. Rivers is a very good QB but I could easily see him having some Drew Bledsoe Cowboys years soon.

I believe that the Chargers really want to re-sign him, but the ball is in his court on it, besides offering a ton of cash/franchise tag, they don't have much of an option. The trade option with the Titans despite their GM squashing it seems the most reasonable for Chargers fans, who will be left without Rivers, or Mariota in 2016, and will be just good enough this year to have to trade up for a QB next year. If they don't trade, Rivers will hit free agency next year, with a significant bias towards Tennessee if he really has connections there.

Edited by What a Tuel

Obviously teams don't want to let a franchise guy go; that doesn't mean that it isn't going to happen.

Also, I believe you're conflating "franchise" and "top 10". IMO they're not the same. A franchise guy is simply one that the team can win a Superbowl with; not necessarily top 10.

Joe Flacco - franchise

Big Ben - top 10