Rivers in 2016?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that troubles me about rivers is he proves the antithesis of the qb argument on this board.

If qb is all that matters and rivers is a multiple Probowl qb, then why can't the Chargers seem to have any real success with him?

The rest of the Chargers roster is garbage now, he's still bringing them to levels we haven't seen in 15 years.

Some of those teams with Tomlinson, prime Gates and Vincent Jackson chronically underachieved, but frequently had injuries hit at the wrong time. The last few years the Chargers talent level has been very low, look back at their drafts starting in 2007 and there's a lot more whiffs than the normal team. Rivers has been the only thing keeping them from not being Jaguars level bad.

I would love to have rivers. I would offer whatever picks this year that they wanted along with a 1st next year. Rivers would have to redo his deal. Throw in one of the QBs for S&G. There is no way I give up dareus for a couple years of rivers.

Are you forgetting that we have to pay both of them?

Its not the picks that are the issue......it is the cap.

Yes, the cap issue would be huge. Rivers is set to make $15.75M this season and the Bills have just under $7M in space. Ouch.

Make it a cap friendly deal. Give HUGE signing bonus. When I referred to Ditka deal, I was thinking of next year's draft. If not Ditka deal, then I'd give SD my 1st rder for next 3 drafts. Many think we are a QB away with the roster currently constructed, then why not? He still has couple years left to play. Is there a QB coming out in the future drafts as good as Rivers? Whaley is a "riverboat gambler"!! I'd compare Whaley and Ryan to Bat Masterson and Doc Holliday. Thoughts?

The thing that troubles me about rivers is he proves the antithesis of the qb argument on this board.

If qb is all that matters and rivers is a multiple Probowl qb, then why can't the Chargers seem to have any real success with him?

Who ever said QB is all that matters? Chargers have had a wildly more successful run with Rivers than the Bills have in that time. Brady took 10 years to win his last Superbowl, is that what you consider real success? What's your barometer for success?

It's the same problem Marino had. Great QB, but rest of team was average.

Make it a cap friendly deal. Give HUGE signing bonus. When I referred to Ditka deal, I was thinking of next year's draft. If not Ditka deal, then I'd give SD my 1st rder for next 3 drafts. Many think we are a QB away with the roster currently constructed, then why not? He still has couple years left to play. Is there a QB coming out in the future drafts as good as Rivers? Whaley is a "riverboat gambler"!! I'd compare Whaley and Ryan to Bat Masterson and Doc Holliday. Thoughts?

Sky,

I am not one of the "cap worrying" crowd

However in this instance I think they would have a point

The REASON why we are able to spend all this money in other positions (having the most expensive DL in the league.....spending for clay....spending for Percy.....bringing on Shady....etc etc etc) the REASON why we can do that is because we dont have to pay a franchise QB

You start paying franchise QB money we are gonna have to let some of these other guys go.

JMO

Why wouldn't the Chargers want to unload Rivers this year and get something for him instead of waiting for Rivers to hit the free agent market next season and get zero in return? It makes more sense to me for the Chargers to unload him this weekend to a team like the Titans or perhaps, The Buffalo Bills and end up with a couple draft picks out of the deal.

am I crazy? :doh:

Some easy answers being a belief they can iron things out. And of course the franchise tag.

no... that's why I said rivers would have to redo his deal.

losing dareus would leave a gaping hole in the middle of our defense. However QB is much more important so I can see both sides of the argument

Edited by kr632

no... that's why I said rivers would have to redo his deal...

OK....how should the deal be done so as to not lose players that we need?

- Push money back? We become the saints

- Turn salary into bonus money? You eventually have to pay the piper on this as well

IMO....and its just my opinion....the only way to make this work is for:

- EJ Manuel to turn the corner

or

- EJ Manuel busts....Matt Cassell caretakes.....and we draft a QB NEXT year in the 1st round because the contracts of 1st rounders are so much more bearable nowadays.

OK....how should the deal be done so as to not lose players that we need?

- Push money back? We become the saints

- Turn salary into bonus money? You eventually have to pay the piper on this as well

IMO....and its just my opinion....the only way to make this work is for:

- EJ Manuel to turn the corner

or

- EJ Manuel busts....Matt Cassell caretakes.....and we draft a QB NEXT year in the 1st round because the contracts of 1st rounders are so much more bearable nowadays.

So be it. I'd roll the dice for the next 3 years with Rivers and this gang if we have to blow it up in 4-5 years. In a heartbeat. The time is now.