Rivers in 2016?

I don't think SD will trade Rivers. If he is on the block due to his own reservations about re-signing, I think SD's price will be extremely high and involve a QB they think they can build a team around.

Jusst throwing it out there: any QB on our roster, pick 50, 2016 1st & 3rd & 2017 1st. Get it done?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also disagree with those who don't think they have a good roster. It had been immensely improved since the new FO came in. The AJ smith regime left them in cap hell they had to dig out of. They had a ridiculous number of injuries last year and still were a game away from the playoffs. I think they will win the AFC west this year. I predict they will draft melvin Gordon in the 1st, pass rusher in the 2nd. They upgraded the OL in the offseason. I'm not a huge fan of mccoy but I like the roster a lot.

Edited by YoloinOhio

That's where I'm at Kirby, except I'd like to keep EJ. SD is rebuilding and moving anyway, they can take Greyson or Petty with 50 this year

I don't care if they take EJ or any of the other guys. Rivers will be our starter for the next 5 years. Any of those guys are capable of being the backup. I would hate to lose Dareus or someone like that but other than a few of the young stars they can have anyone else.

Jusst throwing it out there: any QB on our roster, pick 50, 2016 1st & 3rd & 2017 1st. Get it done?

only think id say is is soooooome type of conditions on the down the line stuff. 2017 being a 3 that goes to 2 with playoffs, and 1 with playoffs and probowl or something like that.

I'm not sure the QB part gets it done. With Rivers gone, Chargers could be in a spot to get what I think will be one of the big 3 next year - Hackenburg, Cardale, Cook. On one hand, Telesco has never been part of a team that had a hole at QB, and I don't think he wants to start now. On the other hand he was the one guy Irsay kept from the Polian regime the year Grigson came in and they cut peyton and drafted Luck. So I don't think its out of the question that he would part with Rivers. It would be a matter of who is behind door #2. Is he willing to tank a year for the next guy? How much does he like next year's class? Does he have job security for a rebuild? Lots to consider. Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm not sure the QB part gets it done. With Rivers gone, Chargers could be in a spot to get what I think will be one of the big 3 next year - Hackenburg, Cardale, Cook. On one hand, Telesco has never been part of a team that had a hole at QB, and I don't think he wants to start now. On the other hand he was the one guy Irsay kept from the Polian regime the year Grigson came in and they cut peyton and drafted Luck. So I don't think its out of the question that he would part with Rivers. It would be a matter of who is behind door #2.

We are giving them an extra 1st & 3rd next year (plus they will be horrible without Rivers). They will be set up fine to get a QB in 2016 for their 1st season in LA.

We are giving them an extra 1st & 3rd next year (plus they will be horrible without Rivers). They will be set up fine to get a QB in 2016 for their 1st season in LA.

depends on how much he likes those guys next year. I like them - but he'd have to hit on the QB after trading the franchise guy or his job would be on the line. Imo.

depends on how much he likes those guys next year. I like them - but he'd have to hit on the QB after trading the franchise guy or his job would be on the line. Imo.

yea, but if he loses rivers for less/nothing down the line it makes the pressure that much higher.

it really depends on how serious the situation actually is though... hard to speculate on what a GM SHOULD do here.

Has anybody actually wondered whether Rivers would want to play here?

It's always a valid concern to have with a guy like Rivers who has made so much money already in his career. But personally I don't think Rivers' primary concern is geography, I think he wants to win. And Buffalo has everything but a QB. Even if he doesn't love the idea of moving to Buffalo, I would think the roster and opportunity would be appealing to a guy like him.

But of course you're right, this speculation (as fun as it is) does depend on that question because Rivers would need to commit to an extension.

Edited by GreggyT

There is a possibility SD won't move and they will not know by Thursday. I think Rivers wants to sign an extension but won't do it until he knows the relo plan. He wants control over his situation. Telesco can tag him next year and trade him if they do end up moving and rivers is still reluctan. He can also tag him and see who offers two 1st rd picks. Franchise QB is the one position where a team would be getting their value out of trading for a tagged player.

The whole LA thing makes zero sense if he is willing to be traded. None.

I personally think that it is a smokescreen for "I've been in the league for 11 years and don't see this team competing for a championship. I want to go somewhere to try to win one before my career is over."

It is much easier to hide behind "I don't want to relocate" than "I don't want to play for this lousy franchise."

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I personally think that it is a smokescreen for "I've been in the league for 11 years and don't see this team competing for a championship. I want to go somewhere to try to win one before my career is over."

It is much easier to hide behind "I don't want to relocate" than "I don't want to play for this lousy franchise."

Yep. It's something other than "I absolutely will not move two hours up the California coastline to a place indistinguishable from where I am."

i think he was very frustrated last season. Spanos has been reluctant to spend $ and he felt the OL was patchwork and he was getting killed. They paid Orlando franklin and King Dunlap this offseason but don't forget his center retired ....

He was also mad they let Eddie Royal walk but he really wasn't worth what the Bears paid

i think he was very frustrated last season. Spanos has been reluctant to spend $ and he felt the OL was patchwork and he was getting killed. They paid Orlando franklin and King Dunlap this offseason but don't forget his center retired ....

He was also mad they let Eddie Royal walk but he really wasn't worth what the Bears paid

I would say he should be frustrated from the last 5 years. They demolished that super team and never got to that level of talent again.