Bills to go in little-talked-about direction at QB?

Rubes

All avenues are depressing. Teams don't give up on Qbs they have hope for.

Bring in a Locker type, have a fair competition with EJ, and hope one steps up. Both have talent and are still young.

with a guy like Locker, there could be some hope that because he was not drafted by the current HC, they are not interested in giving him an extension and he wants his own guy. I think he's a decent option. None are great.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with a guy like Locker, there could be some hope that because he was not drafted by the current HC, they are not interested in giving him an extension and he wants his own guy. I think he's a decent option. None are great.

I liked Locker coming out of college. He has a lot of the same problems as EJ. Plus, he made be made out of glass.

But I'd rather have him than a guy like Sanchez.

Jake Locker is the guy I want most because he has the most upside. Matt Moore is the guy we need most because he is the ideal backup outside of maybe Fitzpatrick and Hoyer (not sure I want Hoyer right now because I think his head is spinning and I think Moore is better).

If Manuel and Locker can be our future, we'll get a solid backup out of one of them and perhaps a starter if we get lucky. The other will eventually fall off. Moore can be our guy that Fitz should have been for a few years here. I still wish we had him.

It would not surprise me if we somehow got Ben Roethlisberger or Manning. Pittsburgh would be crazy to trade Big Ben, but I think Manuel, 2016 1st and a 2015 3rd might be enough. They are surprisingly in a rebuilding state and a lot of people do not realize it.

edit. hmmph, I would be happy with a Roethlisberger/Locker duo.

Edited by jboyst62

To me Matt Moore would the perfect option, great backup and has been a decent starter when he has started. After that I guess Mallett or Locker, since they are both kinda unproven. Sanchez and McCown should the last, sesperate options

I don't see a McCown signing as the end of the line. I think it would be an early safety net in case something better doesn't come along.

Agreed. If he comes in, I'd hope they get at least another FA to compete and cut one in camp.

BTW, I don't get the infatuation some have for Mallett. He has a strong arm but he's a complete statue and not tailored in the least for Roman's system. Plus, NE* did nothing to try and retain him. In a word, he's a stiff. But, then again, that describes most of the options out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Orton>EJ>McCown=Kolb imo

+1

Orton is gone and proved what he is. a .500 QB who can't get er done. Can you please move on?

that was an older post from Feb 16 when we were looking at McCown. just stating that McCown isn't even as good as EJ let alone Orton who like you said isn't even that great. glad we didn't get him

Why? Marrone quit.

I like Nassib. Always have. He's smart and athletic. I think he'd be a really good fit in Roman's system. I know it was only preseason, but he improved greatly from year one to year two. The only QB I'm sold on in this draft is Winston and that isn't happening. Bring him in, let him compete.

So is this the beginning of the "Bills to go in little-talked-about direction at QB" rumor? Does McCoy remain a Bill or is he trade bait for a QB? I think he stays, but it would be interesting if they were gauging interest...

Rumor I saw on Twitter last night (Chris Trapasso) said the Bills' FA QB "list" is Locker, Sanchez, and Moore -- not necessarily in that order.

lots of media pushing hoyer but I heard a few times even last year the bills do not think much of him. I have a feeling they sign Locker.

Ricky Ray. He's old but the CFL thing worked for us once upon a time.

I wouldn't be shocked if they bring all sorts of guys into camp. A CFL legend like Ray perhaps, a draft pick, a free agent, E.J. and see how the pile sorts itself out.

lots of media pushing hoyer but I heard a few times even last year the bills do not think much of him. I have a feeling they sign Locker.

Stuff like that makes me laugh. What has Hoyer proven? The bills are going to upgrade by going with an older player with worse stats than EJ?

Bills trade a 5th round pick for Kurt Cousins

The hype of Cousins won't die!

The trade yesterday nicely clarifies what that little talked about QB direction is!

It's the "screw the QB position entirely" direction...we are going to run the ball all day long, manage games, eliminate turnovers entirely, and throw short passes only when we have to...and let our D do the winning for us.

The Bills are actually going to engage in an interesting experiment this year. Can you take a top 3 Defense and a fairly talented offense devoid of QB talent, play cautiously and conservatively...and do anything with it?

We'll find out.

A marginal improvement at the QB position over Orton might be just enough (with the other changes and more on the way) to get us into the playoffs as a wild card.

More than that, like winning that playoff game, is unlikely without a QB.

And there really isn't much out there, is there?

After this playoff drought, I'll take the playoff appearance and we'll see what happens after that.

That is the highest realistic goal we can shoot for this fall.

Ricky Ray. He's old but the CFL thing worked for us once upon a time.

I wouldn't be shocked if they bring all sorts of guys into camp. A CFL legend like Ray perhaps, a draft pick, a free agent, E.J. and see how the pile sorts itself out.

There are better CFL QB's right now then Ricky Ray

He already had a tryout with the Jets years ago and couldnt make the team

CBF

So is this the beginning of the "Bills to go in little-talked-about direction at QB" rumor? Does McCoy remain a Bill or is he trade bait for a QB? I think he stays, but it would be interesting if they were gauging interest...

Not sure who they would be trading with for a QB. Trying to think of teams that would trade for McCoy that have a QB. I would love to trade for Romo, but I don't see that happening, even if we threw in EJ. Rivers? Eli? Can't see any of those teams giving up a QB for Shady. I think Shady is here to stay, which is cool, but I would think you could get one of the top FA RB's for less than his current contract..

The trade yesterday nicely clarifies what that little talked about QB direction is!

It's the "screw the QB position entirely" direction...we are going to run the ball all day long, manage games, eliminate turnovers entirely, and throw short passes only when we have to...and let our D do the winning for us.

The Bills are actually going to engage in an interesting experiment this year. Can you take a top 3 Defense and a fairly talented offense devoid of QB talent, play cautiously and conservatively...and do anything with it?

We'll find out.

A marginal improvement at the QB position over Orton might be just enough (with the other changes and more on the way) to get us into the playoffs as a wild card.

More than that, like winning that playoff game, is unlikely without a QB.

And there really isn't much out there, is there?

After this playoff drought, I'll take the playoff appearance and we'll see what happens after that.

That is the highest realistic goal we can shoot for this fall.

I think you are correct. The sports media is unbearable: (1) the Bills traded for Watkins so they don't have a 1st rounder and can't get a QB: Reality: there is no QB worth taking this year when we have our 1st round pick, and no one worth trading up for; (2) McCoy eliminates ability to get a QB in FA: Reality: the Bills are still well under the cap, and there is no "top" FA QB available this year.

I think you are correct. The sports media is unbearable: (1) the Bills traded for Watkins so they don't have a 1st rounder and can't get a QB: Reality: there is no QB worth taking this year when we have our 1st round pick, and no one worth trading up for; (2) McCoy eliminates ability to get a QB in FA: Reality: the Bills are still well under the cap, and there is no "top" FA QB available this year.

Dead wrong. The Bills are still more than 20M under the cap. They will sign a QB like Locker, Moore, or (shudder) Sanchez in FA.

Dead wrong. The Bills are still more than 20M under the cap. They will sign a QB like Locker, Moore, or (shudder) Sanchez in FA.

Who is dead wrong? The Media? Or RyanC883?

I think you may have misread what he wrote. He agrees we are well under cap and still have some flexibility to make moves.

With the addition of Shady, and already having Watkins, Woods, and Goodwin, as well as the kind of coach Roman is, the Bills will be looking for the guy that is the best play action ball handler who can through accurately downfield. EJ is a great ball handler already but his accuracy downfield is erratic, although pretty good in college and he has a strong arm. Hoyer is pretty good with the ball but not a great arm. Not sure how good Locker is with the ball and he's inaccurate but strong arm. Moore is good with the ball and decent downfield. He's still the best bet IMO. This helps EJ out a lot though.

as long as their is a bills message board , here for us participants to engage in speculation, why not mccoy for big ben? mccoy is a pennsylyvania kid.. went to pitt..