NEW HEAD COACH: Rex Ryan! It's Official!

KDIGGZ

Schwartz would have my first choice. RR more noise than results.

At the end of the day, Bills fans just freakin want and deserve a winner and if Rex does it, bring me more !

This does kind of sell out the division games next year, doesn't it ? And I'm think in' they'll be pretty good games !

LET'S GO BUFFALO !!!

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it. Regarding his shortcomings on the offensive side of the ball....for all the haters, ask yourself a question ... have you ever made a mistake in your professional career? Don't think he's not smart enough to self-evaluate and hire an OC with a strong skill-set. Double-plus- he stands toe to toe with Belichick. Anyone know our last coach that did? Me neither.

Gotta love the Bills....always some drama.

he was also blown out, and destroyed by the Bills the last three games..

So not a fan of this move. We will be looking for a new coach within three years for sure.

Wanna bet? Make it interesting?

My God! The Pegulas are in over their heads. Can't believe they couldn't have done better than this. Prove me wrong, Rex, please!

You should just say "congrats to my fellow Sexton client Rex, I'm happy you got my old job" and then go back to trying to trick people into hiring you Doug

Question? If Rex had coached Tampa Bay or Cincinnati or St. Louis [or Buffalo], would we think of him as "top name" coach? A lot of his alure comes from being in the media capital of the world, IMO...

Don't know about that. His dad was a lightning rod for publicity on a national level. He was a bigger story on the Ravens than the Head Coach was. It wasn't only NY.

Don't know about that. His dad was a lightning rod for publicity on a national level. He was a bigger story on the Ravens than the Head Coach was. It wasn't only NY.

He's always been a lightning rod. That was OK in secondary markets on the way up, but to be the head man in the lightning capital of the world has surely made its mark on him.

We'll have to see how his act plays in a one-paper, hyper-passonate town like Buffalo. This could get ugly fast if the D regresses next year, as unlike one of the coordinator-types, Rex's honeymoon is going to be very short, IMO...

Not sure what happened in San Fran last year...But Kaepernick did not look like the same kid to me...He regressed no question...But he was really close to Harbaugh and I'm assuming he knew of the internal rift there because everyone knew...Maybe it effected him? Maybe not...But I always liked Roman...And I'm AOK with bringing him in as the OC... B-)

He did take a step back, but I'm not sure that's surprising or that it says anything about Roman or Harbaugh. Keep is probably the best pure athlete ever to play the QB position and his early success may have been more about that than about the system. When defenses adapted Kaep didn't take the next step (yet) to find what they were now leaving open for him.

He's always been a lightning rod. That was OK in secondary markets on the way up, but to be the head man in the lightning capital of the world has surely made its mark on him.

We'll have to see how his act plays in a one-paper, hyper-passonate town like Buffalo. This could get ugly fast if the D regresses next year, as unlike one of the coordinator-types, Rex's honeymoon is going to be very short, IMO...

Who knows. That's true of every coach, win and youre good, lose and you suck. I think Rex has toned it down the last couple years, mostly because he was pissed and a lame duck.

Ultimately, this is all a personal bias thing. If you like Rex and did before, you love this. If you thought he was a blowhard, you probably hate it but will try to like him because he's our blowhard.

Unless you're WEO or BillsVet or their unreasonable facsimiles who hate everything Bills no matter what.

Oh, I don't mean all. He was a good DC and a bad HC was the prevailing opinion around here. Now, because Atlanta wanted him, he's a great hire. Kinda weird.

Yea, that's still my prevailing opinion and he wasn't who I wanted the Bills to hire but I'll get behind it, eventually. He's a great DC but wasn't a great HC in NY. He was alright and still kicked the crap out of the Bills most years. Yea, yea he beat the Pats* in the playoffs. I guess what it boils down to is with Marrone, who probably isn't as good of a coach as Rex, went 9-7 with this team. Is Rex a better enough coach to get a few more wins out of the Bills? Maybe.

This year's crop of HC's wasn't all that amazing, personally I would have liked Bevell but I guess I see why the Pegula's did what they did. Time will tell if it was the right choice.

Everyone needs to R-E-L-A-X!! Seriously, he's the best coach we've had in here in ten years maybe even since Marv. He has the personality that so many people have been saying we need our coach to have. He's emotional and players love playing for the guy. It could be a lot worse than Rex and it has been for so long! He's even open to Schwartz staying on as DC which is telling that he knows a good thing and doesn't want to change what's already working unlike Marrone who would change something that was working because it wasn't his idea and someone else would get credit for it. He's gonna be a fan favorite and will give us the opportunity at players to come to Buffalo that otherwise wouldn't.

No one else worried this was tweeted by Sheffy almost 5 hours ago...and not a peep from the Bills or Rex...or Sexton.

No one else finds Sexton being Rex agent funny?

The details of the contract are still being worked out. It's not official yet but it's a done deal.

Funny that Sexton represents Rex, Marrone and Schwartz.

he was also blown out, and destroyed by the Bills the last three games..

Yes, but the circumstances need to be taken into consideration...

He was coaching a lame duck team with subpar talent. Talent on the field can make marginal coaches look better and likewise can make a good coach look bad/marginal. Rex Ryan is a good coach.

I think the allure more comes from him being to two AFC championship games

Question? If Rex had coached Tampa Bay or Cincinnati or St. Louis [or Buffalo], would we think of him as "top name" coach? A lot of his alure comes from being in the media capital of the world, IMO...

I am a bit concerned over this too. Though I believe the NFL has an edict that teams don't make coaching hire announcements on the days of playoff games as they want all the attention on the games being played and nothing else.

No one else worried this was tweeted by Sheffy almost 5 hours ago...and not a peep from the Bills or Rex...or Sexton.

No one else finds Sexton being Rex agent funny?

Isn't Rex's wife name also Kim??

Rex must have been impressed by Kim Pegula's feet.

I think NFL has a gag order on playoff days

That could be..did not think about that. I am in sales...and this just feels like "yep, CEO has it on desk, just need his rubber stamp sig"...only to hear later that day"CEO doesn't want to spend the money right now"

Oh good! Can't wait to have an offense that can't get the WRs the ball, doesn't know how to use a stud TE, and needs either the QB or RB to get 150 yards on the ground to be successful.

Yep, the last thing the Bills need are coaches that have been to the Superbowl, NFC Championship Games, and AFC Championship Games. We're doomed! :doh::bag:

Ryan's tenure with the Jets began very positively then went downhill. Why? I think he was undermined by an eccentric owner and an incompetent FO that did a terrible job with the cap and an even worse one of retaining or replacing key talent. There seems to have been no coherent sense of direction for the long term or to put it another way, no stable sense of organizational identity.

Although Ryan wouldn't have been my first choice, I believe we will see "early Jets" Rex because I believe in the Bills organization's clarity of direction, and the emerging sense of a new identity that is strong and coherent in the style of the Steelers, in which the FO will be in sync with the HC and fully supportive of his plans. And, yes, that means I believe in Whaley being a keystone to this happening, and that the Pegulas are as thoughtful and intelligent as they appear to be.

So to the detractors, if you were asked 3 weeks ago if you would trade Marrone for Rex, would you have said "no way" or "in a !@#$ing heartbeat."

The insane no offset out-clause in St. Doug's contract could very well have just turned the Bills into a top 10 NFL team with nothing but upside.

The players universally love playing for this guy.

He's got HC experience, not another experiment with a college guy or a good coordinator.

He'll bring some media attention, which can only be good for FA pickups.

He led the jets to back to back AFC championship games!!!

I swear if we could bring in Lombardi people would complain that the game has passed him.

I'm so pumped for this hire.

Anything short of resurrecting Vince Lombardi and making him our coach and people are going to B word, and even then, there would be detractors. I am glad to see that the Pegulas are willing to go out and pay top dollar for coaches who are highly respected in the NFL. There is a negative to any available candidate but this is a pretty bold statement. I believe this will help the Bills attract free agents.

i think the game has passed Lombardi by. I would not be behind that hire.

If you thought he was a blowhard, you probably hate it but will try to like him because he's our blowhard.

Unless you're WEO or BillsVet or their unreasonable facsimiles who hate everything Bills no matter what.

Agree on both points.... :lol:

Jets have declined each year under him.

He has wins against the Pats, especially a playoff win at Gillette stadium. The Jets defense has held the Pats offense to an average of 270 yards over the past four match ups. With keeping Schwartz and bringing in Greg Roman, I feel very confident that Ryan will have success in Buffalo.