NEW HEAD COACH: Rex Ryan! It's Official!

KDIGGZ

Pegulas got their first choice. They threw some money around, which we thought they would. They wanted to make a splash and we are instantly relevant again.

Obviously the idea that Whaley was pushing or shoving EJ on candidates didn't scare off the top coaching candidate in the league.

There is a lot to like about this hire and a lot to wonder if not worry about. But there is not a sure fire hire out there, and never is.

As I said in my text to you, this has Pegula written all over it. I can't even fathom it was Whaley's top pick.

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like this is Black Sunday. A proven failure HC, who is a blowhard to boot. Worst HC in the NFL last year---hands down.

Of course I'm worried about what it will do to the D, but I'll fell better if Schwartz stays. A move to the 3-4 would be ridiculous at this stage.

If Trestman comes (not my first choice, but OK) and brings Cutler, I'll explode. A crappy loudmouth HC and a QB who couldn't lead a girl scout troop. Beautiful!

I really hope I'm wrong, but I have a very bad feeling about the Bills immediate future.

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said in my text to you, this has Pegula written all over it. I can't even fathom it was Whaley's top pick.

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like this is Black Sunday. A proven failure HC, who is a blowhard to boot. Worst HC in the NFL last year---hands down.

Of course I'm worried about what it will do to the D, but I'll fell better if Schwartz stays. A move to the 3-4 would be ridiculous at this stage.

If Trestman comes (not my first choice, but OK) and brings Cutler, I'll explode. A crappy loudmouth HC and a QB who couldn't lead a girl scout troop. Beautiful!

I really hope I'm wrong, but I have a very bad feeling about the Bills immediate future.

I really think the GM job that John Idzik did last season might have been the single worst in NFL history. 12 terrible draft picks, huge amounts of unspent $ under the cap, and a completely depleted roster. That team played hard for Rex until the very end (delightfully costing the Jets a top draft pick in the process).

Some of you people amaze me. You want an experienced HC, well we got one. Ryan had success until his dopey GM depleted the team. If he brings in Roman, or Kubiak, or Trestmann then we are light years years beyond Marrone and his kids from Syracuse.

Two things that are blown out of proportion:

1. Offensive minded vs. Defensive minded. Every head coach starts somewhere. Do you think Bellichek is a defensive coach still?

2. Developed a QB - very few star qbs are developed by one coach. This idea is a myth. Getting an elite QB is more luck than any coach will admit.

Look at the 11 other candidates we interviewed. Take away Shanahan Sr and you have no other NFL HC experience except Swartz.

Swartz can hopefully stay and run his D. If not defensive talent is the least of our problems.

I think Ryan deserves a chance. His work with the jets was overall pretty good.

Also, kudos to the Pegula's for getting out there. 12 interviews!!!!!

Contrast to Ralph and his coaching/ GM searches. We should be happy.

Hopefully Rex will be the Man.......but I am finding it difficult to get past my feelings that a top Offensive minded HC could have given us a chance at the SB within 3 years.

Go Bills!

No top offensive HC is unemployed... So you would have never of gotten one. Edited by Beef Jerky

Great hire for the following reasons

-Has had great success against NE and Brady

-Players love playing for him (can attract free agents)

-Shows front office is not the same with hiring a brand name coach/enough with the no name BS coaches they have hired in the past.

-4 and 2 in the playoffs including beating NE in NE (other then the tainted win this year when have we even won in NE

against Brady)

-Made the playoffs with average QB

-Will have a great defense with or without our currect DC

-Great leader

-Shows national media that big names will come to Buffalo

Have to balance this with

- Coached only team the Bills handled easily twice this year

- Teams regressed in years after he took over

- Possible defensive conflicts if we keep Schwartz

- Big personalities usually create big problems

Willing to wait and see, though.

You honestly don't think Idzik's idjit GM job had nothing to do with that?

I was worried sick that the move from the 3-4 under Pettine to a 4-3 (nightmares of wanny) would be a disaster. What i learned is that our D is really good because of the players on it, and NFL coaches often know a hell of a lot more than i do.

I'll sit back and watch the show next September.

I really think the GM job that John Idzik did last season might have been the single worst in NFL history. 12 terrible draft picks, huge amounts of unspent $ under the cap, and a completely depleted roster. That team played hard for Rex until the very end (delightfully costing the Jets a top draft pick in the process).

With the exception of a couple games at the end of the year, the Jet's laid down like DOGS this year.

Yes, the GM sucked, but so did Rex. Nobody ever makes excuses for Bill coaches the way I hear people make excuses for Rex. The had WAY more talent than their record.

No one knows if this hire will work, but for the first time the Bills targeted a top name coach and landed him. That fact alone should make us all happy. The days of settling and hoping for the best are over.

Rex won four times and to AFC Championship with Mark Sanchez.

A lifetime ago. Look, I like Rex, he seems like a good guy. MAybe it will work out better than he did with the Jests over the past few years. But if you are going to jump in and hire a guy early, you do it because you think he's far and away the best guy out there and you think you might lose him.

No one else was making a move yet. I agreew ith Dean: it's hard to imagine this was Whaley's choice.

His defense requires cornerbacks. His GM refused to get him any. He was not given final say over his QBs on gameday. Rex was set up to fail, now he gets a chance to coach with full support from his organization.

I am very confident that at least one thing will be true with this hire: it will make all the Marrone supporters forget about that waste of space very, very quickly.

Regardless of Ryan's real or perceived weaknesses, and regardless of whether or not he was the right man for the job, he is an upgrade and improvement over Doug Marrone.

Bank on that one!

His defense requires cornerbacks. His GM refused to get him any. He was not given final say over his QBs on gameday. Rex was set up to fail, now he gets a chance to coach with full support from his organization.

You know what good coaches do if their defense requires CBs and they don't have any? They scheme a different defense that plays to the strengths of the players they do have.

With the exception of a couple games at the end of the year, the Jet's laid down like DOGS this year.

Yes, the GM sucked, but so did Rex. Nobody ever makes excuses for Bill coaches the way I hear people make excuses for Rex. The had WAY more talent than their record.

I disagree with the last part. Apart from Chris Ivory, Richardson, Wilkerson, an aging Mangold and maybe David Harris, I can't think of anyone else there who would be noticeably better than the Bills player they'd replace.

A lifetime ago. Look, I like Rex, he seems like a good guy. MAybe it will work out better than he did with the Jests over the past few years. But if you are going to jump in and hire a guy early, you do it because you think he's far and away the best guy out there and you think you might lose him.

No one else was making a move yet. I agreew ith Dean: it's hard to imagine this was Whaley's choice.

A lifetime ago? That was 2009-2010. Kubiak was 2010-2011.

Why would it not be a Whaley choice? He was the top candidate. It's a huge coup for Whaley and the Pegulas. They did jump in and he was the top guy out there.

A down-to-earth, we're in this together, the group is more important than the individual, I bust my *ss everyday just to scrape by and survive type of guy. Or, is that not the mentality you see everyday from folks in Buffalo? ... Yea, Rex doesn't have this. All he cares about is himself and running off his mouth to get attention...for himself.

What are you talking about ?

I am very confident that at least one thing will be true with this hire: it will make all the Marrone supporters forget about that waste of space very, very quickly.

Regardless of Ryan's real or perceived weaknesses, and regardless of whether or not he was the right man for the job, he is an upgrade and improvement over Doug Marrone.

Bank on that one!

Amen! St. Doug did us a big favor with his stupid temper tantrum. Now if he gets passed over for all HC openings, that will be really sweet.

Wow! Woke up this morning and heard the news. Completely shocked the hell out of me. Like it or hate it, finally not an unispiring hiring. The more I think about this, the more I love it. Especially if Buffalo is able to retain Schwartz and bring on Trestman or Roman.

I love my Bills!

Better promote Schwartz to assistant HC and pray that those two will gell.

agreed!

The point is that any half competent coach could win with this team for the next two years. I would have liked a hire who could win consistently for the next 20.

Yea. Douchey Jets fans.

For a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 15 years, you make it sound awfully assumed that we're in the playoffs no matter what for the next two years.

Can i have some of what you're smoking?