NEW HEAD COACH: Rex Ryan! It's Official!

KDIGGZ

Whatever, Nucci. I think if you are going to be the first to hire a new HC in a hot market, is Rex Ryan the guy you want?

Kubiak called a great game all year for Balt, including some real genius yesterday. That would be a "less inspired" choice than ol Rex Ryan?

Come on Nucci--say something meaningful--answer the questions I asked.

I can't tell if you're being serious. Rex Ryan brings credibility to the franchise. Players want to play for him. Free agents will come. Coaches will come. He will build the program.

Gary Kubiak? Seriously??

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it will be Greg Roman as the OC: "The popular rumor floating around the NFL was that Ryan would bring Marc Trestman with him as his offensive coordinator. It appears that is not the case, according to Schefter, as Greg Roman, the 49ers OC, will be coming along with Rex.

"The offensive coordinator Rex Ryan is most likely to bring with him to Buffalo is 49ers OC Greg Roman, per source."

http://buf.scout.com/story/1500984-bills-to-make-rex-ryan-their-next-head-coach?s=24

Oh good! Can't wait to have an offense that can't get the WRs the ball, doesn't know how to use a stud TE, and needs either the QB or RB to get 150 yards on the ground to be successful.

I'm rolling with it. I can't believe he would just overhaul the D into a 3-4 scheme just because he's Rex Ryan. The Bills had great success and the right personnel for the 4-3. If it ain't broke, I can't see why he would try to fix it.

Anyway, if nothing else, it will be nice to have a coach with a personality for once!

Oh good! Can't wait to have an offense that can't get the WRs the ball, doesn't know how to use a stud TE, and needs either the QB or RB to get 150 yards on the ground to be successful.

Yeah, all these trips to the AFC and NFC championship games by our new hires (FIVE) is really getting me down.

I like Rex. Really curious to see what happens with Schwartz.

I'm not so big on Greg Roman but I don't know a lot about him. What I read is very mixed.

The thing about maybe losing Schwartz, is that happens, is that unless you make him HC, he is likely gone in one year. We have Rex, the 1-2 best defensive mind in the league, for 5 years.

If Rex brings Thurman, and we keep Rex, and keep the defensive staff of Hendeson and Johnson, we have five DC types. ;)

The thing that bothers me the most is we have a really talented team that was likely going to make the playoffs next year anyway. Now this worthless sack of crap is gonna get credit for it.

Can't wait to hear this fat POS run his mouth off all the time.

Sorry, but he's not a Buffalo type of guy who's humble with working class roots/mentality. He's a "I'm better than everyone else" type of guy.

There are things I like about this hire and things I don't, but I don't see a bit of swagger as a problem. It's a refreshing change.

I'm not so big on Greg Roman but I don't know a lot about him. What I read is very mixed.

The thing about maybe losing Schwartz, is that happens, is that unless you make him HC, he is likely gone in one year. We have Rex, the 1-2 best defensive mind in the league, for 5 years.

If Rex brings Thurman, and we keep Rex, and keep the defensive staff of Hendeson and Johnson, we have five DC types. ;)

Exactly. And Rex is a kingmaker - coaches come coach for him because they end up getting promoted up.

What?? What the hell is a Buffalo type guy anyway. Ridiculous comment

A down-to-earth, we're in this together, the group is more important than the individual, I bust my *ss everyday just to scrape by and survive type of guy. Or, is that not the mentality you see everyday from folks in Buffalo? ... Yea, Rex doesn't have this. All he cares about is himself and running off his mouth to get attention...for himself.

Great hire for the following reasons

-Has had great success against NE and Brady

-Players love playing for him (can attract free agents)

-Shows front office is not the same with hiring a brand name coach/enough with the no name BS coaches they have hired in the past.

-4 and 2 in the playoffs including beating NE in NE (other then the tainted win this year when have we even won in NE

against Brady)

-Made the playoffs with average QB

-Will have a great defense with or without our currect DC

-Great leader

-Shows national media that big names will come to Buffalo

Wow...definitely was not expecting this at all!

Can't believe that we actually went after a big name coach as I figured that Reich would have been the "hometown favorite" safer choice. While I like Reich, I am not sure if he has the fire and drive to be a successful head coach in this league.

The thing I like about Ryan is his passion. He is not going to take any crud from underachievers and he will not be a stone faced Jauron, Marrone or Gailey on the sideline either.

Should be interesting to see what happens with the QB & free agent situation now as I think that more decent players might want to come to town to play for him!

Edited by Sabesfan71

I can't tell if you're being serious. Rex Ryan brings credibility to the franchise. Players want to play for him. Free agents will come. Coaches will come. He will build the program.

Gary Kubiak? Seriously??

I do like Rex the personality. As a HC, I don't think he's the best choice for a team with dire need for a top offensive mind to coach it.

The team says they have every intention of keeping Schwartz as DC, and Greg Roman as OC would be a plus over Trestman.

Roman has built a power run game in San Fran, and more rushes then passes the last three years :wub:

Edited by FeartheLosing

Six actually--Fred Pagac was DC for Minnesota several years back

A down-to-earth, we're in this together, the group is more important than the individual, I bust my *ss everyday just to scrape by and survive type of guy. Or, is that not the mentality you see everyday from folks in Buffalo? ... Yea, Rex doesn't have this. All he cares about is himself and running off his mouth to get attention...for himself.

This is a football team with coaches and players that makes millions of dollars. All I care about is winning.....let me guess...not a "blue-collar" guy? Lunch pail?

Edited by nucci

If Ryan, Schwartz, Roman/Trestman happens for the Bills, I'm excited. Playoff experience, Super Bowl experience. Ryan vs Marrone = upgrade, Roman/Trestman vs Hackett = upgrade, Schwartz vs. anybody else = at least as good based on last years results. I'd say the Pegulas may have put together one of the best HC/OC/DC groups they could

There is no way to know if any coaching hire will work out, but I think hiring Ryan & Roman/Trestman and keeping Schwartz is one of the better groups they could put together.

I think some posters here are confusing a desire to hire the best coach available in terms of pure coaching ability vs. a desire to hire someone that is a nationally relevant personality, and a nationally recognized "big name".

I've been saying in tons of threads all over this site for a while that this isn't going to be the same old dysfunctional mess that we had for decades under past ownership now that the Pegulas are on board.

You are starting to see the differences already...and it DOES feel good to go out and grab a big, top name that has a national presence and relevance in the game. This is most certainly not a typical Bills coaching hire.

That's all FREAKING GREAT!

That still doesn't mean Rex is the right guy for this team, right now.

I want to see just what happens with his coordinators before I grade this move.

Edited by Stopthepain

Lol, wow. If we make it to the playoffs for the first time in 15 years (because that was clearly going to happen no mattet who the coach was [sarcasm]) you will be pissed about it because it would validate the coaching candidate you didn't support in the previous offseason?

You sir, sound like a hell of a "Buffalo guy".

Actually, yea. With the talent on this team and another year having worked together, we'd likely be in the playoffs next year with any of the twelve we interviewed. That doesn't mean they are all good hires. Edited by DisplacedBillsFan

I do like Rex the personality. As a HC, I don't think he's the best choice for a team with dire need for a top offensive mind to coach it.

That's what coordinators are for. You are confusing the two roles. Kubiak is a great coordinator but he can't coach. Rex knows how to run a football team.

Displaced and Weo are making this thread an annoying place for me. I'm happy with the hire and I'm happy we actually have a HC with some swagger and personality. When is the last time we could say that? Ryan is good for FA acquisitions and if he does in fact keep Schwartz and brings in Roman, I don't see what people are whining about.

Pegulas got their first choice. They threw some money around, which we thought they would. They wanted to make a splash and we are instantly relevant again.

Obviously the idea that Whaley was pushing or shoving EJ on candidates didn't scare off the top coaching candidate in the league.

There is a lot to like about this hire and a lot to wonder if not worry about. But there is not a sure fire hire out there, and never is.

Actually, yea. With the talent on this tram and another year having worked together, we'd likely be in the playoffs next year with any of the twelve we interviewed. That doesn't mean they are all good hires.

Wait...

Are you from the FUTURE???

Wow. This is the most catty thing I've ever heard. This is the NFL. A multibillion dollar industry. Not a high school football team.

Perhaps you'd prefer the guy who just grabbed $4 million put his tail between his legs and left in the middle of the night?

Oh my fault. Yea, it's not important to relate to the fan base in any way.

I liked the Trestman rumor for OC better.

Trestman didn't get Cutler to work out very well, as his offense was very pass happy in a Mike Martz sort of way. 609 passing attempts vs 355 rushing attempts in Chicago in 2014.

Matt Forte barely broke 1k yards rushing last year, and a lousy 3.9 yard per carry average.

I'm very happy Trestman isn't the Bills new OC, as he isn't much better then Hackett IMO

That's what coordinators are for. You are confusing the two roles. Kubiak is a great coordinator but he can't coach. Rex knows how to run a football team.

Kubiak can't coach?

He went to the playoffs two years in a row and won twice with Schaub as his QB!

Pegulas got their first choice. They threw some money around, which we thought they would. They wanted to make a splash and we are instantly relevant again.

Obviously the idea that Whaley was pushing or shoving EJ on candidates didn't scare off the top coaching candidate in the league.

There is a lot to like about this hire and a lot to wonder if not worry about. But there is not a sure fire hire out there, and never is.

This is what I have been trying to say in my comments in this thread and this is a very sensible post!

Well done.

Assuming we actually hire Rex, (seems a certainty at this point), there will be a lot to discuss in detail, from many different angles.

The "franchise is relevant again" angle, and many other things, some dealing with Xs and Os, others not.

Should be fun for a while.