Package Deal? (Mike & Kyle Shanahan)

It's just been reported that the Bills have requested permission to interview Kyle Shanahan for our vacant HC position. We've already interviewed Mike Shanahan and that interview supposedly went well.

I remember when DJ was fired, some on the board were saying Mike Shanahan would be an acceptable HC coach as long as he didn't bring his son along with him. Now we're interviewing the son, supposedly for the HC position.

But could a package deal be in the works? Could Whaley and the Pegulas be considering bringing both Shanahans here?

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to get the sense that Pegs has told Whaley "I want us to interview every living HC candidate in the world, including Buddy the Wonder Dog. I'll write the check for whatever it takes."

Probably an accomodation to Shanny the Elder who pitched his kid to the Bills. I'm not sure this is a good idea, however...

Edited by Lurker

It's just been reported that the Bills have requested permission to interview Kyle Shanahan for our vacant HC position. We've already interviewed Mike Shanahan and that interview supposedly went well.

I remember when DJ was fired, some on the board were saying Mike Shanahan would be an acceptable HC coach as long as he didn't bring his son along with him. Now we're interviewing the son, supposedly for the HC position.

But could a package deal be in the works? Could Whaley and the Pegulas be considering bringing both Shanahans here?

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/01/03/49ers-considering-shanahan-shanahan-15-year-master-plan-oh-man/

What do you think of this plan?

[This is an automated response]<br /><br />As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.<br /><br />The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.<br /><br />Thank you.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer now reporting it is indeed a package deal.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/01/3_teams_interested_in_kyle_sha.html

49ers and Raiders reportedly considering the same package.

Where did you read that the interview went well with Mike?

I think Mike could be the press. with the Kyle the coach maybe?

I spent the past 10 minutes googling and can't find where I saw that. I won't say it was a reputable source because I just don't remember. My apologies.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I think the author, Tim Kawakami, raises some cogent objections to the plan. Kyle Shanahan is like Reich, only less so: a young guy, very wet behind the ears, unclear what his skill level is as of yet. One year in, the Browns offense wasn't exactly lighting the league on fire. MIke Shanahan expects to run the show, has a "meh" record for the last decade plus, and it's notorious that dads tend to be unobjective about their sons. Shanahan isn't exactly going to be poised to leave Schwartz and the D alone, either. He'll want his own guys.

I don't want either of them, frankly.

Actually, I'm thinking their plane runs on natural gas. Sky's the limit, interview everyone.

They certainly appear to be interviewing every candidate any other team is considering and a few more.

Maybe it is Mike as pres and his son as coach, nothing is far fetched at this point

got to figure unless it is a Seattle coach we are about a week away from some answers

That is just such a bad idea (dad pres son coach). It's like Wilson and his untouchable cronies, redux and related by blood.

I think the author, Tim Kawakami, raises some cogent objections to the plan. Kyle Shanahan is like Reich, only less so: a young guy, very wet behind the ears, unclear what his skill level is as of yet. One year in, the Browns offense wasn't exactly lighting the league on fire. MIke Shanahan expects to run the show, has a "meh" record for the last decade plus, and it's notorious that dads tend to be unobjective about their sons. Shanahan isn't exactly going to be poised to leave Schwartz and the D alone, either. He'll want his own guys.

They certainly appear to be interviewing every candidate any other team is considering and a few more.

That is just such a bad idea (dad pres son coach). It's like Wilson and his untouchable cronies, redux and related by blood.

Things are really starting to get interesting.Im sure the Bills have multiple ideas/plans-at least I hope so. Reich/Schwartz is also plausible

Shanahan doesn't have his own defensive guys.

It was always his weakness.

He had Greg Robinson as DC during his Super Bowl winning years.

You may remember him as the guy who recruited the players that helped Doug Marrone get the program back to .500. :flirt:

In any event.......it's no small feat that he won two SB's with that guy at the helm of his defense. Robinson has been working his way down the ranks of football ever since.

Later Shanny became the "Brown collector".....building a defense entirely of former Cleveland Brown busts to support his quest to beat his mid 2000's playoff nemesis Peyton Manning and the Colts.

Coach Hayzlitt was hired because he didn't know anyone else but always liked his old Steelers defenses.

Shanny basically knows dick about defense and has no "guys".

There is no reason to believe he'd pass on keeping this D intact, coaches and all, so he could pursue another championship.

Given a good defense......I think he could be a dangerous head coach again.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

You may remember him as the guy who recruited the players that helped Doug Marrone get the program back to .500. :flirt:

In any event.......it's no small feat that he won two SB's with that guy at the helm of his defense. Robinson has been working his way down the ranks of football ever since.

Later Shanny became the "Brown collector".....building a defense entirely of former Cleveland Brown busts to support his quest to beat his mid 2000's playoff nemesis Peyton Manning and the Colts.

Coach Hayzlitt was hired because he didn't know anyone else but always liked his old Steelers defenses.

There is no reason to believe he'd pass on keeping this D intact, coaches and all, so he could pursue another championship.

Yessir I agree. Offense is his forte and they are good at it. Whats next-Cutler?

I honestly cannot see how in any way shape or form how this would be a bad idea......

We need offense....Shanahan knows offense...and is probably our best bet of keeping Schwartz with the defense

These two clowns ran the Redskins into the ground. If you think the Bills are dysfunctional just hire Mike and Kyle. They define dysfunctional.

Listening to talk radio every day on my commute was brutal as they documented how bad these two were in managing their duties.

A lot of people on this board falling prey to the recency bias in regard to the Shanahan's. Checkout the record before the 3-4 yr stint in Washington. We would be fortunate to have them. I'm also not sure Washington is a place anyone can succeed right now.

No doubt about Washington. Sh@t runs downhill, that's for sure.

@ByTimGraham: Eep RT @JohnMiddlekauff A source told me Mike Shanahan could take on a GM type role in Buffalo while Kyle became the head coach

Do we really believe as the AP states that Bills Officials including the Pegula's interviewed Mike Shanahan - to take on the GM type role while Whaley is sitting there? Then the Raiders interviewed Mike Shanahan for just their coaching job? This is why reading most of what Tim Graham tweets is not a good idea.

Per Rotoworld:

A source informed John Middlekauff of 957 The Game Bay area that-

Mike Shanahan could be hired as the Bills' general manager with Browns OC Kyle Shanahan as head coach.

We're sorry, Bills fans. This would be brutal. Bills in-name GM Doug Whaley was reported to be leading the search for a new head coach, but it's now been revealed new owner Terry Pegula is conducting interviews. The Bills have requested interviews with as many as 13 head-coaching candidates. The Shanahan duo wouldn't be awful in a head coach-offensive coordinator tandem, but allowing them to make all personnel decisions would be taking a huge leap of faith.

I had a feeling they were looking at mike as more of a FO guy. Wouldn't be surprised if he were the president, Whaley stayed as GM, and kyle is head coach-- or at least that is the vision.

Yep - my first thought was he would be the so-called football czar they are looking for

Per Rotoworld:

A source informed John Middlekauff of 957 The Game Bay area that-

Mike Shanahan could be hired as the Bills' general manager with Browns OC Kyle Shanahan as head coach.

We're sorry, Bills fans. This would be brutal. Bills in-name GM Doug Whaley was reported to be leading the search for a new head coach, but it's now been revealed new owner Terry Pegula is conducting interviews. The Bills have requested interviews with as many as 13 head-coaching candidates. The Shanahan duo wouldn't be awful in a head coach-offensive coordinator tandem, but allowing them to make all personnel decisions would be taking a huge leap of faith.

TG updated an older article indicating that the Pegula's are leading the interviews; which led to this exchange:

1. @ByTimGraham legit ?...was Whaley "leading" HC search scoop from your source insinuating Doug, as football guy, was organizing/starting it?

0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites
  2. @ChrisTrapasso The word "leading" might have been semantics or premature on fluid situation in aftermath of Marrone's exit.

3. @ByTimGraham Ahh. Thanks. Makes sense. So now you'd imagine your source wouldn't say Whaley's leading the search? Or maybe no way of knowing

Yep - my first thought was he would be the so-called football czar they are looking for

That is just plain scary

What has Mike Shanahan done to merit a role atop a front office? He's made his hay as a coach and done poorly as a personnel guy. What has Kyle Shanahan done to earn a head coaching job? His offenses haven't lit the league on fire. It would be a joke to hire these two in those particular roles. I'd be OK with them as an HC/OC tandem, but that's it.

Edited by Omar Little