Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing that marrone has a double dip option now. that's one bad contract the bills gave him. Maybe those brandon to the raiders rumors are true.

I'm not sure it was such a bad contract. Coaches don't get paid what they are worth. They get paid to leave all the time. The Bills were in a unique situation because of 90 year old Ralph. I don't think it was bad.

Best record in 10 years, and the QB and HC get run out of town.... Weird place. All we needed was a couple relatively easy improvements on offense, and instead we will be starting over again, it seems. Oh well... Life as a Bills fan.

Hope Schwartz sticks around as either DC or HC, at least.

Wow, I don't like this at all really. Starting all over again. Will it ever end?

We dont know if its a complete wash yet. Jim S has men that can step up if he moves to HC. They still needed to sort the OC any way.

I have moved on.

This says one Heck of alot about the Pegulas if true about the bargaining.

Color me impressed. I was going to write in the Brandon thread. Be vewwy vewwy careful when you decide to use leverage with the quiet types. ie Pegulas

I hope we do better than Schwartz, but he'd be fine with a top level OC. (Why do people keep thinking Reich will get a HC job?).

Again, I hope they don't do this. The Bills are not rebuilding. Gus has ZERO NFL experience. That is a giant hurdle to overcome, IMO. Only Chip Kelly has managed to do it with any success (and I'm not entirely sold on him yet).. I have to ask, does Gus have a good network of coaches in the NFL? Would Schwartz even consider staying and working under a guy with his experience, or lack of?

Maybe a good solution would be to bring in Gus in a Coordinator/Assistant HC capacity, with the understanding he has the inside track if/when Schwartz moves on.

I think the Bills are poised to go to the next level next year, perhaps even without a top QB. I'd hate to screw that up by hiring a guy who might be in over his head.

I'm all in with The Chin, though. Cowher would be an epic hire, and now the job might even be interesting to him.

I love you Deano but that line of thinking is outdated IMO. Malzahn already makes like $1.5M more a year than Marrone so he isn't leaving for a coordinator job. The Bills would have to give Schwartz a hefty raise and the defensive staff would remain.

The college game is influencing the pro game now not the other way around. That's why you have seen Harbaugh, Carroll and Kelly all have success recently. Jim Mora Jr. will do the same. I don't care about where they coached I care about their philosophy. Malzahn's ability to control pace, personnel and space will be spectacular in the NFL IMO.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just because Schwartz is under contract doesn't mean he stays. The new HC (assuming it's not Schwartz) may want his own guy.

I hope the Bills hire an offensive minded HC who keeps Schwartz.

Then again, if the Bills hire Cowher or Dungy, I'll be thrilled.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Great, we get to start all over again...again...again...

New coach does not always mean starting over, no idea why people always think it does

If Schwartz stays all that will change is the offense which we all wanted anyway so what's the problem?

Marrone is probably going to poach either Henderson or Pepper Johnson to run his defense I will assume. I hope it's not Henderson. We don't have to let them go unless they get a promotion, which would be to DC. One of the good things Marrone did last year, a very good thing but a no brainer, was to not let Henderson interview with the Browns so we got to keep him. He's very, very good.

If Waley or Brandon leave, of their own accord or otherwise, it makes the Watkins move an even greater question mark.

They make the decision to forego a first rounder next year and then aren't here to live with the decision. And the impetus for the move...support for EJ....is made even more dubious as EJ's future in Buffalo becomes less assured under new management.

I like Watkins...so it's not about him personally. Are we talking about the move to get him as a major (yet typical) gaffe by Bills management ten years from now? Or as a turning point to secure a brighter future?

He just asked for extensions for his OC and OL and that is why he is gone.

I agree... I wasn't completely in the camp that Marrone had to go. He did some good things here. But, he also did some bad things. If he wanted his offensive coaching staff to stay in place... with extensions.. well, good riddance. Because, the one thing I think we can all agree on is that no one on the offensive side of the ball should be given anything... players and coaches.