Best Journalist Covering the Bills?

ndirish1978

Dude !

I have found i care less about politics and more about what the team is doing today . The on the field in the locker room heart of the matter stuff. Also guys who can break down the game well.

I think we owe gratitude to the whole gambit of reporting actually.

ps Rodak is not reporting. still not sure what that is going over there at espn either ?

Its the locals that do the best work

who is Ray Bentley and why is working on Bills games?

Interesting re Rodak. Would seem weird to transfer or cut him with only a few days till the start of the season.

Interesting re Rodak. Would seem weird to transfer or cut him with only a few days till the start of the season.

We have a plan. Trust us .

Good catch though JR. You may well find an opportunity in this field yourself .

keep up the good work 0:)

Joe B is one of my top homer favorites. Honest fellow.

Fairburn is comfort to read also. Mark G I like too

I like the local guys but there is a benefit to someone who knows the NFL well, can be objective on the team. I like Pat Kirwan on Movin the Chains. He has an in depth knowledge of the team, can speak to their chances, and does not automatically take sides positively or negatively against the team like most national media.

Anyway, Sal is a good guy, but i like hearing these guys as he does not regurgitate the rest of the national media. I also like Polian's take as he has a soft spot for the Bills but is still objective.

Each time Joe B answers a question in one of his segments on WGR, I cringe.

For those saying he has a bright future nationally, I strongly disagree.

He has a very difficult time explaining his observations. His analysis is usually limited to good or bad, rarely why.

Most of the time he will say something along the lines of, "player x is developing well" but he absolutely NEVER goes into why or how that is.

The people who post in here that believe Joe B has a strong work ethic have heard that "fact" spoken on air or notice his suit and tie, but I bet few could cite actually situations where he seemed to have a real unique take or observation on a player.

Interested in which jounalists covering the Bills you guys think do a good job covering the team.

My picks are Sal, Wawrow and Buscaglia.

Professional journalists, I think you got it. I have never read a piece, thought "wow, what an uninformed exaggerated piece of baloney" and then looked up to see one of those bylines.

The season is young, but hopefully I won't

I like the local guys but there is a benefit to someone who knows the NFL well, can be objective on the team. I like Pat Kirwan on Movin the Chains. He has an in depth knowledge of the team, can speak to their chances, and does not automatically take sides positively or negatively against the team like most national media.

Anyway, Sal is a good guy, but i like hearing these guys as he does not regurgitate the rest of the national media. I also like Polian's take as he has a soft spot for the Bills but is still objective.

I really like Kirwan's book "Take your eye off the ball".

I recall having thought some of his media analysis was shallow or under-informed but unfortunately I can't give examples at the moment. Perhaps I do him wrong.

Each time Joe B answers a question in one of his segments on WGR, I cringe.

For those saying he has a bright future nationally, I strongly disagree.

He has a very difficult time explaining his observations. His analysis is usually limited to good or bad, rarely why.

Most of the time he will say something along the lines of, "player x is developing well" but he absolutely NEVER goes into why or how that is.

The people who post in here that believe Joe B has a strong work ethic have heard that "fact" spoken on air or notice his suit and tie, but I bet few could cite actually situations where he seemed to have a real unique take or observation on a player.

I formed that opinion from several interviews. The interview that comes to mind presently would be his analysis on the Chris Williams signing. I thought he did a good job of explaining his opinions. He also seems to be one of the only guys around who comes off as engaged and putting forth an effort to be something other than self-serving or aggressively cynical.

Joe B. is very good for X's and O's, watches a lot of film, and really digs into the nitty gritty. Last year his week by week positive verse negative plays for each Bill was remarkable. He is my favorite by far, and I wish he was better spoken and had more exposure, but he's a kid and will only get better (if we can keep him). I think Gaughan is a better writer and is much better spoken, and Gaughan comes with more exposure and credibility. I do think Gaughan does a good job with the bigger picture. The guys in Rochester like Sal and Catalana do well, too. And I still like Matthews on Wham1180.

At the bottom of the list is Jerry Sullivan. Sully is way too negative and arrogant for me. I'm negative enough just looking at the field every Sunday. Listening to him is like sitting in a bad movie, trying to watch it anyways (since you paid the ten dollars for a ticket and popcorn), with the guy next to telling you how bad the movie is over and over again. Hey, I get it, but let me watch it. Okay, I'm an idiot and you're the enlightened critic; just shut up already! I hope Sully writes long enough to have his beloved Pats switch places with Buffalo, at least for a season or two. Brady can't play forever, right?

1. Joe Bascaglia

2. Mark Gaughan

3. The Rochester Bunch

1,000,000. Jerry Sullivan (with his hand in my popcorn)

Sully must be doing something right. He writes what he sees on the field and in the general OBD environment, NOT what he hears from the public. He appears to write his convictions and not be cowed by the general hue and cry. Can't be all bad to have at least one factual counterpoint to the optimists, can it?

Sully must be doing something right. He writes what he sees on the field and in the general OBD environment, NOT what he hears from the public. He appears to write his convictions and not be cowed by the general hue and cry. Can't be all bad to have at least one factual counterpoint to the optimists, can it?

Which change from week to week, like Mayfiles swirling in a summer breeze.

He's the acclaimed author of Darby the Dinosaur!

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/0962348104

and not to mention, former MLB for The Bills.

Define "best" -- it means different things to fans, players, coaches, editors, and colleagues.

Fans -- "best" means a bit of a homer (not over the top) who also provides good insight

Players -- "best" means someone they can trust not to try and trap them; who do they enjoy talking to in the locker room

Coaches -- "best" means not asking stupid questions about injuries and the symbolism of the team not naming the QB captain

Editors -- "best" means whoever gets the most page reads/clicks/comments/re-tweets

Colleagues -- "best" means everyone; these guys/gals never criticize one another

Good summary

Chuck Pollack deserves mention in this group.

Good call .

Bentley seems nice enough and know football but doesnt seem to know who is currently on the Bills roster or care. this has been an interesting thread . seems there is something for everyone .

I had forgotten about Bob Matthews completely . Oops !

I don't know how I forgot Kirwin in my first post. He much be my favorite. Although sometimes he sounds like a lame disc jockey with his tone.

W-NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN-B-C

Yeah, but he's funny how he puts you on the hot seat when you call and asks you the GM questions, "if you want to do this, here is the implication to the cap, who you have to give up, etc." He forces fans to think, but in a respectful way so people have to think through their wish list stuff, or what happens as an implication of their decisions.

You don't get that at all on most shows.

If you're not from the southern tier, you may not be very familiar with Chuck Pollock's work, but he is as good as anyone anywhere in the print media.

I have been reading Mr. Pollocks work since 1974, and will be lost when he steps away from covering the Bills. Check out his articles on oleantimesherald.com. Always has an insightful gameday piece, a detailed post game story, as well as a gameday notebook. He also covers media day, and usually has a Bills column on Thursday.

I like to listen to Shredd and Reagen when they talk Bills. I would love to see a new station challenge WGR for sports talk, or see GR make some much needed and overdue changes, notably with new afternoon talent, and the Howard Simon show could use a new spin, also. I miss Bob Gaughan and "The Coach!"

The best journalist, who regularly writes about the Bills, is John Wawrow. Hands down.

Sully is still the king. I also like JW, Pollock, Carucci, and Gaughan.

Sully can write, but he knows squat about football. I thought he might get it after all these years, but it still isn't in his wheelhouse. He does know how to stir up controversy (real or imagined). He is a columnist, he's paid to stir up idiots. I guess he is pretty good at that.

Yeah, but he's funny how he puts you on the hot seat when you call and asks you the GM questions, "if you want to do this, here is the implication to the cap, who you have to give up, etc." He forces fans to think, but in a respectful way so people have to think through their wish list stuff, or what happens as an implication of their decisions.

You don't get that at all on most shows.

I assume you're talking about Kirwan? If so, I agree and like him very much for that reason alone. The callers to these shows are often just a step beyond walking upright, and it's nice to hear a host encourage them to think through their knee-jerk opinions without calling them the mouth-breathers that they are.