Best Journalist Covering the Bills?

ndirish1978

Again - when was the last time a local reporter broke a Bills story? The locals live down the street from OBD and they are the last to get called.

The answer - anyone working for ESPN or the NFL Network.

I like Joe B.'s style - he's not as jerky as his station peers - but he does not offer any more insight than any casual observer.

If you want info you can use to think for yourself and analyze what you see, then no one can touch Buscaglia. He reports AND analyzes which the rest do not. He sinks himself into the game, the game plan, the outcomes, the players, the stats and the data and does so with zero bias and no desire to rile anyone or drive up the clicks. He's a breath of fresh air in a stale media market quite frankly. He's the thinking man's reporter/analyst.

If you want bombastic, aggressive, arrogant, needy, and overly sensitive/defensive who can't take what they dish out, there are plenty of those guys around and they seem to be replicating... and they've been around here forever and will be around until their careers are over because that's a tired dog. Buscaglia, bank on it, will have a national gig because of his hard work and reliance on what he sees, rather than what his emotional needs and these types are few and far between and in high demand.

Again - when was the last time a local reporter broke a Bills story? The locals live down the street from OBD and they are the last to get called.

The answer - anyone working for ESPN or the NFL Network.

I like Joe B.'s style - he's not as jerky as his station peers - but he does not offer any more insight than any casual observer.

I have asked folks in the media that I know about this. They told me that the majority of the "scoops" that come about a team are leaked by agents. Those agents have relationships with the national media folks because they hold the most influence in getting stories out there that benefit their clients.

Local guys in today's media age have a tough time competing with that.

Define "best" -- it means different things to fans, players, coaches, editors, and colleagues.

Fans -- "best" means a bit of a homer (not over the top) who also provides good insight

Players -- "best" means someone they can trust not to try and trap them; who do they enjoy talking to in the locker room

Coaches -- "best" means not asking stupid questions about injuries and the symbolism of the team not naming the QB captain

Editors -- "best" means whoever gets the most page reads/clicks/comments/re-tweets

Colleagues -- "best" means everyone; these guys/gals never criticize one another

Colleagues -- "best" means everyone; these guys/gals never criticize one another

I dunno. Did you see the Kyle Orton interview on BB.com? At about 1:12 in Wawrow looks like he wanted to criticize Chris Brown with a backhand across his face!

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Kyle_Orton_This_was_the_right_team_for_me/056b6bd9-46b5-4885-9994-8460fe05dc3c

If it's in the paper with Wawrow as the by-line, then I read it because I know it will be well written, even though it rarely includes information that I didn't already learn at TBD. I also go to syracuse.com a few times a day, and Matthew Fairburn sometimes has some good stuff and is pretty entertaining to read as well.

Buscaglia is the best by leaps and bounds. He breaks down the game and analyzes what happened instead of

1) trying to instigate arguements to create a story out of nothing or generally going for sensational articles generating controversy for some clicks

2) wearing a vendetta on their sleeve against a player by departing from their normal factual based reporting to throw a certain young QB under any available bus...

3) generally grousing about everything in retrospect and advocate removing each and every subtle character issue one atricle at a time with an overinflated ego the permeates through every story

I'm buying beers at my next bills game for anyone who guesses the 3 journalists based on my descriptions..

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Buscaglia is the best by leaps and bounds. He breaks down the game and analyzes what happened instead of

1) trying to instigate arguements to create a story out of nothing or generally going for sensational articles generating controversy for some clicks

2) wearing a vendetta on their sleeve against a player by departing from their normal factual based reporting to throw a certain young QB under any available bus...

3) generally grousing about everything in retrospect and advocate removing each and every subtle character issue one atricle at a time with an overinflated ego the permeates through every story

I'm buying beers at my next bills game for anyone who guesses the 3 journalists based on my descriptions..

Don't agree with your take, but this must be a reference to Graham, Warwow and Sullivan.

If you want info you can use to think for yourself and analyze what you see, then no one can touch Buscaglia. He reports AND analyzes which the rest do not. He sinks himself into the game, the game plan, the outcomes, the players, the stats and the data and does so with zero bias and no desire to rile anyone or drive up the clicks. He's a breath of fresh air in a stale media market quite frankly. He's the thinking man's reporter/analyst.

If you want bombastic, aggressive, arrogant, needy, and overly sensitive/defensive who can't take what they dish out, there are plenty of those guys around and they seem to be replicating... and they've been around here forever and will be around until their careers are over because that's a tired dog. Buscaglia, bank on it, will have a national gig because of his hard work and reliance on what he sees, rather than what his emotional needs and these types are few and far between and in high demand.

I agree. Joe B. is a young man with a level head and I have enjoyed his articles on WGR.

downright embarrassing - any story is broken nationally before the local guy has a clue. Guaghan and Sal are sensible and know football, Joe B is laughable- his ratings, to his eyes, what football experience knowledge does Joe B have? Seems like his opinion or "professional" eyes are no more professional than any of us.

downright embarrassing - any story is broken nationally before the local guy has a clue. Guaghan and Sal are sensible and know football, Joe B is laughable- his ratings, to his eyes, what football experience knowledge does Joe B have? Seems like his opinion or "professional" eyes are no more professional than any of us.

First of all, the sources for most transactions news are the agents, who are tight with the national writers as someone else explained earlier. Second of all, Graham, Kryk etc have done a pretty good job covering the sale, no?

I have asked folks in the media that I know about this. They told me that the majority of the "scoops" that come about a team are leaked by agents. Those agents have relationships with the national media folks because they hold the most influence in getting stories out there that benefit their clients.

Local guys in today's media age have a tough time competing with that.

Not just that, but the same agency may represent the player and the national reporter. Who do you think will be the first to get the news?

How does Schefter scoop a story that hits at 2am?

Not just that, but the same agency may represent the player and the national reporter. Who do you think will be the first to get the news?

How does Schefter scoop a story that hits at 2am?

I don't expect the local guys to get the scoops, nor do I care who does.

What I expect from the local reporters is a much deeper understanding of the team and much more nuanced analysis of what's going on on the field.

That's what makes the WGR breakdowns of the film so good and useful, and what separates those guys from the national media.

What I expect from the local reporters is a much deeper understanding of the team and much more nuanced analysis of what's going on on the field.

That's what makes the WGR breakdowns of the film so good and useful, and what separates those guys from the national media.

Just adding more color on why national guys get some scoops that the locals miss. In depth analysis also fits Joe Bs assignment much more than what jw or Tim Graham do. Also a lot different than what sully offers.

What in your eyes would constitute a professional? Do you think the rest of the guys covering the sport have gone to some special "professional" school that entitles them to an opinion? I like Joe B. He backs up his analysis with reasoning (right or wrong) and that's really all you can ask of someone.

If you want to see a realm in which there are very few "professionals" actually doing the reporting on the sport, look at people covering MMA. That sport has so many unqualified people writing about it that it's maddening.

JW and Astrobot are my favorites and the two whom I feel are the best.

Kryk has been outstanding with his coverage of the the team's sale.

Graham has been outstanding at tweeting what Kryk reports.

Dude !

I have found i care less about politics and more about what the team is doing today . The on the field in the locker room heart of the matter stuff. Also guys who can break down the game well.

I think we owe gratitude to the whole gambit of reporting actually.

ps Rodak is not reporting. still not sure what that is going over there at espn either ?

Its the locals that do the best work

who is Ray Bentley and why is working on Bills games?

JW and Astrobot are my favorites and the two whom I feel are the best.

Kryk has been outstanding with his coverage of the the team's sale.

Graham has been outstanding at tweeting what Kryk reports.

Cant disagree on one and two .

number 3 ? :thumbsup:

Leo Roth and Sal Maiorana from the Rochester D&C

Are you sure thats your vote ? really sure ? Edited by 3rdand12