New sale of team thread

This may mean nothing at all but last night I had the opportunity to sit on the field at the Induction Ceremony and just 2 rows in front of me were the Bills Brass including Whaley, Brandon and Overdorf. However, sitting down the row from me was Littman and at no point during the whole induction ceremony did Littman speak to any of those guys. He sat there the entire time and never seemed even inclined to talk to those guys. Between speeches, the big shots from around the NFL and a bunch of former players would walk around and mingle among each other and even take pictures with fans (such as myself), but like I said before, Littman never did anything but sit there.

Thought it was rather interesting that their was no interaction between he and the other Bills brass, including Brandon. It could mean nothing but both my father and I thought it was very interesting.

thanks for sharing. It does indeed raise questions about his long term viability with the organization. He is Ralph's financial guy, right? Perhaps he is considered gone with new ownership, for that reason.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may mean nothing at all but last night I had the opportunity to sit on the field at the Induction Ceremony and just 2 rows in front of me were the Bills Brass including Whaley, Brandon and Overdorf. However, sitting down the row from me was Littman and at no point during the whole induction ceremony did Littman speak to any of those guys. He sat there the entire time and never seemed even inclined to talk to those guys. Between speeches, the big shots from around the NFL and a bunch of former players would walk around and mingle among each other and even take pictures with fans (such as myself), but like I said before, Littman never did anything but sit there.

Thought it was rather interesting that their was no interaction between he and the other Bills brass, including Brandon. It could mean nothing but both my father and I thought it was very interesting.

No one really likes accountants...

Was in boston today, local told me flutie was now involved in a group interested in buying the bills. Little while later someone else told me the same thing. I told him he was crazy and must have flutie and bon jovi mixed and he insisted it was f lutie. Anyone else there this?

Flutie has been friends with JBJ for a long time. They made a big point about that before the big Jets game in 1998. That both he and Belichick are good friends with Bon Jovi.

Flutie has been friends with JBJ for a long time. They made a big point about that before the big Jets game in 1998. That both he and Belichick are good friends with Bon Jovi.

Flutie wants to own the team and help Bon Jovi move it to stick it to fans who supported Rob Johnson!

No one really likes accountants...

Ralph Wilson did. He was for a very long time Ralph's most trusted financial and business advisor in all of the owner's business operatiions, including those outside of football. From a business standpoint he did a sterling job for the boss. He will not have any association with the franchise under the new ownership.

Edited by JohnC

Ralph Wilson did. He was for a very long time Ralph's most trusted financial and business advisor. From a business standpoint he did a sterling job for the boss. He will not have any association with the franchise under the new ownership.

Oh I know...Was being Sarcastic....

You don't see it because refuse to see it. Sal Palantonio was on the Howard Simon show and said the rest of the NFL considers Brandon a miracle worker because he makes the Bills very profitable (rank #20) in one of the league's smallest markets. That's how he helps keep the team here. He makes money. If you want to fire him then just give the Bills to JBJ.

you'd think a "miracle worker" would at least make the playoffs once every 15 years

Not surprising. And he's on the way out.

@JohnKryk: Glum Toronto group privately rating chances as 'slim' it can match Pegula in #Bills bidding, source says: http://t.co/b8yMLpIPUX

Pretty much what's consistently been reported. I believe it and don't think they (or Trump, or even Golisano, which is why him entering the fray is pissing me off) have chance of beating Pegs.

you'd think a "miracle worker" would at least make the playoffs once every 15 years

That's pretty poor in terms of shifting the argument. You asked how Brandon helped keep the team here; the answer was provided.

I know you don't like the guy; let's at least be fair about what he's accomplished.

That's pretty poor in terms of shifting the argument. You asked how Brandon helped keep the team here; the answer was provided.

I know you don't like the guy; let's at least be fair about what he's accomplished.

fair enough, I was reacting to the term "miracle worker" which, I guess is the next step up from marketing genius, I guess next post will be for pope Francis to canonize the man --

As for the answer, I think the question was HOW has Brandon kept team in buffalo? I don't think PTR answered that, since it's clear to me that none of bidders are bidding because Brandon improved (inflated) profits because team has no debt on their books (which isn't a long term sustainable situation) and they have under spent the cap. Certainly Pegula is bidding and is more interested in the team, the city of buffalo and winning than he is at making a profit, so again, I don't see what Brandon himself has done specifically to keep the team in Buffalo ?

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

What a surprise. Flutie, Bon Jovi, and Belichick. Three of my least favorite people on the planet.

Yes, it was. Seems to suggest that he may be more serious than he has let on about buying the Bills. I also am confused about why the Morgan Stanley is continuing to solicit more bidders. Does the Trust not want Pegula or is it merely an effort to increase the amount of the bids? Could be opening a can of worms if the latter.

Yes, it was. Seems to suggest that he may be more serious than he has let on about buying the Bills. I also am confused about why the Morgan Stanley is continuing to solicit more bidders. Does the Trust not want Pegula or is it merely an effort to increase the amount of the bids? Could be opening a can of worms if the latter.

Equally puzzled about the trusts' actions; if Pegula's bid is indeed that much higher, they should accept his bid and take the money and run -- he would be terrific choice and as Kirby points out, "checks all the boxes". I can't imagine the trust would prefer Trump, and I don't get the interest in Golisano, since he's stated since day one that he is a safety net for BUFFALO and not overly interested. Lastly, we all know the issues with JBJ. Let's just get this thing done, so we can move on already.

Is it a check or is it cash? Would somebody get their story straight?

The inference here is that Trump is not financing anything according to Michaels. I think he's more serious than people realize assuming the owners approve him.

Or maybe they were hoping for x amount of bids to come in and then narrow it down to 3 and move those forward. The fact that only 3 came back with one of them a group thought to move the team out of town they really only had two. Only having two may be throwing off their initial plans.

Its very possible they want to avoid the looking like they are favoring any local candidate. If that is the case getting at least one more bid would go a long way in that endeavor. While the JBJ group has certainly messed up their bid they (and maybe some NFL owners) could come back and say this thing was rigged and that is why you would want to show it wasn't.

@JoeBuscaglia: A steel horse, he rides. MT @ByTimGraham HoF prez Baker advises folks not to take Bon Jovi's business acumen lightly http://t.co/BYb2K9l23n

I really do not get it. If JBJ wants to fix this issue and help Toronto get knowledge so they might work through an expansion application in the future(Let's make the assumption that is the plan[true or not]). Then the JBJ group really only needs one from the Toronto delegation and he should drop the other and add either one local billionaire or (several lower rich individuals like Miami has). It seems so simple to fix this for JBJ and he really doesn't seem to get it, how can he be such a great business mind and not?

fair enough, I was reacting to the term "miracle worker" which, I guess is the next step up from marketing genius, I guess next post will be for pope Francis to canonize the man --

As for the answer, I think the question was HOW has Brandon kept team in buffalo? I don't think PTR answered that, since it's clear to me that none of bidders are bidding because Brandon improved (inflated) profits because team has no debt on their books (which isn't a long term sustainable situation) and they have under spent the cap. Certainly Pegula is bidding and is more interested in the team, the city of buffalo and winning than he is at making a profit, so again, I don't see what Brandon himself has done specifically to keep the team in Buffalo ?

Pegula just cleared ~$1.3B on his recent land sale (beyond selling his company a few years back for several $B). Why does the team need to take on debt if his bid wins?

Maybe Bon Jovi can bring an Arena League team back to Buffalo. He had the business acumen for that apparently. Buffalo Bon Jovis vs the LA Kiss. That will draw a few hundred fans. Unless someone just gives him half a billion dollars in the next few weeks (which probably still won't be enough), it looks like the Toronto group is all but finished. Oh and someone tell Trump that his billion dollar bid was half a billion short. He's mad they didn't just give him the team. Ha.

Pegula just cleared ~$1.3B on his recent land sale (beyond selling his company a few years back for several $B). Why does the team need to take on debt if his bid wins?

If your debt costs, say, 7% but you can earn more than 7% by investing it, then I can make a case for financing. Back to the game. Thad looks bad.

stadium

1st, he's sitting on about $2B in cash above the last deal. Plus he could turn additional land holdings for cash if he needs / wants.

2nd, if the new stadium costs $1B, how much of that will NYS taxpayers like me end up ponying up?

Now, how much debt does TP have to take on to have a new team & a new stadium?

If your debt costs, say, 7% but you can earn more than 7% by investing it, then I can make a case for financing. Back to the game. Thad looks bad.

A case can be made to finance, but it isn't necessary. The poster I replied to said that staying debt free was "unsustainable." Taking on debt because it makes financial sense (& we don't know it does, though it might) does not make debt free "unsustainable."

I think the reason Russ Brandon isn't part of the trust is simple: the trust is comprised of family and Mr. Wilson's long-time business and legal advisers. Russ is a valued employee of the Buffalo Bills. Therein lies the difference, and that is why Littman was never going anywhere under Mr. Wilson's ownership.

There is always going to be a divide between guys at the level of Mr. Wilson's power and wealth and the people who work for them. It's just a fact of life. Doesn't mean they don't trust, value, respect, even love those guys. But an NFL owner is in a whole different world from anyone else associated with the team (as we're seeing with this sale process).

Some might think I underestimate Brandon's value. I don't. I have tremendous respect for him and the job he has done, and I hope he remains in a senior leadership role.

But his days of being the face of the team and casting the Buffalo Bills vote at owners meetings are coming to an end.

Russ is a man of integrity, class, and character, and he'll be around under new ownership. But he won't be playing owner anymore.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I'm wondering if JBJ doesn't get desperate at this point, kicks the Canadians to the curb, and calls up TG to be his Sugar Daddy. I don't know that TG would go for that and risk his own image locally.

Mr. Golisano keeps a very tight hold on his affairs. IF he buys the team he will have a very big role and plenty to say.

The idea of him essentially putting up $500-700 million so that Bon Jovi can play NFL owner is inconceivable.

I'm wondering if JBJ doesn't get desperate at this point, kicks the Canadians to the curb, and calls up TG to be his Sugar Daddy. I don't know that TG would go for that and risk his own image locally.

That's not really the point. The only way Bon Jovi wants to do this is to be the controlling owner, and be the face of the franchise and attend all the owners meetings and vote on league rules, etc. There is no way that Golisano would pay a billion dollars and then not be the controlling owner. Why would he do that? He wouldn't be turned down by the NFL if he won the bid. He has no real skeletons. He doesn't need Bon Jovi.

Equally puzzled about the trusts' actions; if Pegula's bid is indeed that much higher, they should accept his bid and take the money and run -- he would be terrific choice and as Kirby points out, "checks all the boxes". I can't imagine the trust would prefer Trump, and I don't get the interest in Golisano, since he's stated since day one that he is a safety net for BUFFALO and not overly interested. Lastly, we all know the issues with JBJ. Let's just get this thing done, so we can move on already.

I have no idea, but I think It's possible they are accepting more bids just to make the process seem more legitimate. If the only real candidate going forward is Pegula it might make the whole thing look suspicious and put the trust into question. Adding at least one other bidder could make it more acceptable for Pegula to win.

Or maybe they just want to drive the price up.