New sale of team thread

Then again, the "currently structured" part gets me worried. Can they reconfigure or it is an "as is" thing? Would BJ even agree to that?

I believe the group could reconfigure as this was a preliminary bid. However, JBJ may not be interested in this arrangement. It's also possible that Tannenbaum/Rogers may have felt it was in their best interest to garner approval for a syndicate bid having JBJ at the helm due to his in with several NFL types. The wait continues...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the group could reconfigure as this was a preliminary bid. However, JBJ may not be interested in this arrangement. It's also possible that Tannenbaum/Rogers may have felt it was in their best interest to garner approval for a syndicate bid having JBJ at the helm due to his in with several NFL types. The wait continues...

That's actually their issue in a nutshell, and why it won't work, even if they could win the bid, and approval, which they can't. ;)

Bon Jovi has entre into NFL inner circle and wants to be controlling owner but only has limited funds.

Billionaires have funds but need entre into NFL inner circle.

NFL rules state "controlling owner" must have at least 30% ownership.

Bon Jovi has no interest in this if he cannot be controlling owner.

They're in a Canadian pickle and with Pegula bidding it's just not going to work.

That's actually their issue in a nutshell, and why it won't work, even if they could win the bid, and approval, which they can't. ;)

Bon Jovi has entre into NFL inner circle and wants to be controlling owner but only has limited funds.

They're in a Canadian pickle and with Pegula bidding it's just not going to work.

Yes.

Also, if JBJ is not the controlling owner, Jerry Jones would have to determine whether he respects the MLSE people as much as JBJ as fathers, husbands etc.

I want a Maserati too. I am going to go test drive them, negotiate with the dealership, make them an offer and drive away in my 2006 Cadillac CTS.

Not sure if the NFL considers Toronto to be part of the Buffalo market or not, but remember that the NFL prefers individuals such as Pegs to corporations such as MLSE.

That market thing is the only hazy part I'm not sure of. Kelly made mention to it before about an owner spending more on one team, like the leafs, instead of investing in the NFL.

That's fine PTR - I really didn't know, don't live in the area and don't spend time following the Sabre's except for the occassional game that may be on national TV....I'm just going by the record.

Tim Graham @ByTimGraham · 15s

Let's tap the brakes and remember these were non-binding bids Tuesday anyway. Best offers still to come. No player has shown its hand yet.

TRANSLATION: Pay no attention to the low rent hack Kryk.

Let's tap the brakes? My word, Mr. Graham is such a small, small man. He resents being scooped so he arrogantly lectures the rabble to calm down, while simultaneously dealing a backhanded slap to Kryk. He's incapable of masking his true character. Pathetic.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

If every person who posted on this topic on boards like this around the world had to pay $1/post, WE could buy the damn team. :nana:

Just remember when the new ownership is announced, assuming it's Pegula, there should be a moratorium on bitching about the team's performance, or lack thereof, at least for the balance of 2014. Out of gratitude if not respoect. :D

Edited by blzrul

If every person who posted on this topic on boards like this around the world had to pay $1/post, WE could buy the damn team. :nana:

Just remember when the new ownership is announced, assuming it's Pegula, there should be a moratorium on bitching about the team's performance, or lack thereof, at least for the balance of 2014. Out of gratitude if not respoect. :D

There "should be" but there won't be.

However, if you start a petition, I'll sign.

Not sure if the NFL considers Toronto to be part of the Buffalo market or not, but remember that the NFL prefers individuals such as Pegs to corporations such as MLSE.

Corporations cannot own NFL teams.

I recall something about the rules for bidders being restrictive so as to prevent reconfigurations at a later date.

Well that's even better

I don't know if by being restrictive it prevented groups from restructuring or adding more people. But I would figure that trying to change the majority owner would be a no-no.

I agree with all of that.

It could be, however, that he was saying to himself, these guys need me as their "in." The Bills are valued at $870m. If I need to be a 30% owner it may be tight but we can probably swing this (especially if he is worth 500m or so). But if the bidding goes much over 1b they are in trouble.

Let's put the money issue aside. It has been long established that the owners require from prospective owners a majority invester in a franchise in order to get owner approval for a sale. What is being recently reported is that for the most part the ownership structure of the Toronto group is three-headed with equal or near comparable investments by the parties. That certainly goes against the recent history of franchise sales.

Although the franchise was valued in the $875 M range most analysts believed that the price tag for the franchise was going to be in the plus $ 1 B range. It was also known that in the near future that the issue of a new stadium or upgrade would be required. The numbers never added up. In most auctions the norm is to make a bid and then as the process moves forward respond with another competing bid. It seemed to me that JBD was tapped out at the beginning of the process.

I have come around to the notion that JBJ was much more of a mover in this project than I originally thought. But I have felt because of his lack of resources that the Toronto contingent would have the ultimate say as to how the operation would be established. If the Toronto boys wanted to move across the border he would have to go along, even if he wanted to base the franchise in western NY.

The bidding process is not over yet. So as it stands I am cautiously optimistic that Pegula is going to be the last bidder standing. What is impressive about Pegula is that he is a doer and not a talker. He is very discreet and holds his cards close to the vest. He is the antithesis to Jerry Jones in stle. In other words he is the type a person Ralph Wilson would be proud to pass the torch to.

Let's put the money issue aside. It has been long established that the owners require from prospective owners a majority invester in a franchise in order to get owner approval for a sale. What is being recently reported is that for the most part the ownership structure of the Toronto group is three-headed with equal or near comparable investments by the parties. That certainly goes against the recent history of franchise sales.

Although the franchise was valued in the $875 M range most analysts believed that the price tag for the franchise was going to be in the plus $ 1 B range. It was also known that in the near future that the issue of a new stadium or upgrade would be required. The numbers never added up. In most auctions the norm is to make a bid and then as the process moves forward respond with another competing bid. It seemed to me that JBD was tapped out at the beginning of the process.

I have come around to the notion that JBJ was much more of a mover in this project than I originally thought. But I have felt because of his lack of resources that the Toronto contingent would have the ultimate say as to how the operation would be established. If the Toronto boys wanted to move across the border he would have to go along, even if he wanted to base the franchise in western NY.

The bidding process is not over yet. So as it stands I am cautiously optimistic that Pegula is going to be the last bidder standing. What is impressive about Pegula is that he is a doer and not a talker. He is very discreet and holds his cards close to the vest. He is the antithesis to Jerry Jones in stle. In other words he is the type a person Ralph Wilson would be proud to pass the torch to.

Yeah, I don't recall another situation where there were 3 people who had an almost equal stake in the team, with one having slightly more and thus being the principle owner. I'm not sure how that would fly with the other owners, but exceptions can always be made. Hopefully though, it's another strike against them in getting the team and one of which they're unaware.

That's fine PTR - I really didn't know, don't live in the area and don't spend time following the Sabre's except for the occassional game that may be on national TV....I'm just going by the record.

Well that's the danger is basing opinions on w-l records alone...or reading SabreSpace.

The Sabres are in a deliberate tank mode to load up on young talent, in particular the next Gretzky in this draft, Connor McDavid. The Sabres have 3 first round draft picks in 2015, two of which are likely lottery picks. Plus most NHL pundits believe the Sabres have the best prospects of any team right now.

So if all you look at is wins and losses, the Sabres are a disaster, but you miss the big picture.

Edited by PromoTheRobot