New sale of team thread

I think we can all agree that Regier was his mistake. He left his wallet behind with him and he wasted TPegs money on peeps like Ville Leino. We never could say TPEGS was cheap.

Again to be fair, a guy who was basically always pinching pennies his whole GM tenure should not be lambasted because he didn't succeed right away when given unlimited freedom.

It's like someone being told to drive like a granny for 15 years then all of a sudden being told to drive like a teenager. Obviously there is gonna be a much higher chance for a car wreck...Two completely different styles

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again to be fair, a guy who was basically always pinching pennies his whole GM tenure should not be lambasted because he didn't succeed right away when given unlimited freedom.

It's like someone being told to drive like a granny for 15 years then all of a sudden being told to drive like a teenager. Obviously there is gonna be a much higher chance for a car wreck...Two completely different styles

And Regier wasn't a complete train wreck He swindled the Islanders for Matt Moulson and their 2015 #1 pick which will likely be a lottery pick.

And Regier wasn't a complete train wreck He swindled the Islanders for Matt Moulson and their 2015 #1 pick which will likely be a lottery pick.

Well in all fairness, Snow is an idiot. I don't know if Regier did it or Tim Murray but Moulson was then traded to MIN for a 2/4th round pick and now Moulson is back on the sabres.

As part of the stadium renovation right now, the locker room was getting a huge makeover.

Im sure they will be improved, but if the Sabres are a precedent.... they toured the top facilities around the NHL and brought back a collection of the best aspects. The goal is/was to make things as appealing to players as possible.

Maybe he will open a special night club for the Willis McGahees of the world who get sick of Applebees

Im sure they will be improved, but if the Sabres are a precedent.... they toured the top facilities around the NHL and brought back a collection of the best aspects. The goal is/was to make things as appealing to players as possible.

In all fairness, a hockey season is so much longer and so many more games, things like locker room would mean more. Same for training facilities.

Tim Graham ‏@ByTimGraham now

Regardless of actual figures, I'm told differential w/Pegula has Bon Jovi group discouraged about being successful as currently structured

This whole thing makes me want to bang my head against the wall!! JBJ cannot meet the financial requirements at this point. Unless he wants to be a minority partner they can't hang. He cannot come up with the $300M or whatever it ends up being to have a chance. This isn't some breaking story Tim, this has been the case since before they entered the fray. Edited by Kirby Jackson

This whole thing makes me want to bang my head against the wall!! JBJ cannot meet the financial requirements at this point. Unless he wants to be a minority partner they can't hang. He cannot come up with the $300M or whatever it ends up being to have a chance. This isn't some breaking story Tim, this has been the case since before they entered the fray.

Unfortunately, you've got a bunch of guys out there who want to "scoop" every story, to the extent they first create a buzz, then backtrack, then explain, and finally re-state a position pretty much everyone knew to begin with.

Twit-reporting is a mad science.

This whole thing makes me want to bang my head against the wall!! JBJ cannot meet the financial requirements at this point. Unless he wants to be a minority partner they can't hang. He cannot come up with the $300M or whatever it ends up being to have a chance. This isn't some breaking story Tim, this has been the case since before they entered the fray.

Sounds like BJ never really thought this through. Too much product seeping into his brain, no doubt.

Pegula's bid protects Ralph's legacy. Mary Wilson and family will be super rich, plus it will keep Ralph's legacy alive. The extra 100 million or so will not matter at this point.

If an outside group came in and offered 2 billion, she would have to think about it. Pegula's bid is a safe bet for the trust, the Bills, and the NFL.

It is all just formalities now.

Hey Buffalo!!!... Time to start being confident!!! Downtown is coming back. The Sabres have a plan. Some industries are moving to Buffalo. Banks in WNY are growing. Medical campus is awesome.... Stop being negative. Time to flip the switch!

Edited by Iraq Vet

Tim Graham ‏@ByTimGraham now

Regardless of actual figures, I'm told differential w/Pegula has Bon Jovi group discouraged about being successful as currently structured

TRANSLATION: What Kryk said.

Well in all fairness, Snow is an idiot. I don't know if Regier did it or Tim Murray but Moulson was then traded to MIN for a 2/4th round pick and now Moulson is back on the sabres.

That was Murray.

You very well summarize the JBJ story. Although he had high aspirations as an owner and primary director of an NFL franchise he never had the wherewithal to match his grand plan. Even if his personal wealth was understated by many the numbers stil never added up if he was going to be one of the three-headed-equal owners.

As a performer and business person he has done very well for himself. But as a prospective owner he was from a financial sense simply out of his league. What I don't understand is he had to know what the approximate cost of a franchise would go for. It was very often conjectured that it would take at least $1 B to be a serious bidder. On top of that the owners who would vote on the sale required that there be a primary owner who would be the main invester. What has been recently reported is that the ownership split was an equal three way split among Rogers, Tanenbaum and JBJ. How does that structure satisfy what the current owners strongly prefer?

As I have stated in other posts JBJ was severly stretched financial in his bid. There was then little ability for him and his partners to handle the expected added major cost of building a facility for his team. Arithmetic is about the numbers. For him it never added up.

You very well summarize the JBJ story. Although he had high aspirations as an owner and primary director of an NFL franchise he never had the wherewithal to match his grand plan. Even if his personal wealth was understated by many the numbers stil never added up if he was going to be one of the three-headed-equal owners.

As a performer and business person he has done very well for himself. But as a prospective owner he was from a financial sense simply out of his league. What I don't understand is he had to know what the approximate cost of a franchise would go for. It was very often conjectured that it would take at least $1 B to be a serious bidder. On top of that the owners who would vote on the sale required that there be a primary owner who would be the main invester. What has been recently reported is that the ownership split was an equal three way split among Rogers, Tanenbaum and JBJ. How does that structure satisfy what the current owners strongly prefer?

As I have stated in other posts JBJ was severly stretched financial in his bid. There was then little ability for him and his partners to handle the expected added major cost of building a facility for his team. Arithmetic is about the numbers. For him it never added up.

I agree with all of that.

It could be, however, that he was saying to himself, these guys need me as their "in." The Bills are valued at $870m. If I need to be a 30% owner it may be tight but we can probably swing this (especially if he is worth 500m or so). But if the bidding goes much over 1b they are in trouble.

Sounds like BJ never really thought this through. Too much product seeping into his brain, no doubt.

Then again, the "currently structured" part gets me worried. Can they reconfigure or it is an "as is" thing? Would BJ even agree to that?

Then again, the "currently structured" part gets me worried. Can they reconfigure or it is an "as is" thing? Would BJ even agree to that?

Here's the way I see it. Jbj doesn't have more money so can't invest more to stay the controlling owner. Rogers has the money but needs the permission to spend it but likely won't get it. MLSE has the money but becoming a controlling owner of an NFL team with a hockey team in Toronto violates the separate market rule so they can't be more than a minority owner.

Here's the way I see it. Jbj doesn't have more money so can't invest more to stay the controlling owner. Rogers has the money but needs the permission to spend it but likely won't get it. MLSE has the money but becoming a controlling owner of an NFL team with a hockey team in Toronto violates the separate market rule so they can't be more than a minority owner.

Not sure if the NFL considers Toronto to be part of the Buffalo market or not, but remember that the NFL prefers individuals such as Pegs to corporations such as MLSE.