New sale of team thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

response:

Allow me to apologize for this form-letter response. I try to respond to e-mailers individually, but sometimes the mail bag overflows.

I did read every email and appreciate the input, even though I can’t physically do to myself what a few of you suggested. I also appreciate the web links to stories about what a fine place Buffalo is.

I have nothing bad to say about Upstate New York and hope my next honeymoon is at Niagara Falls. My point was that Buffalo’s football team has become a non-entity outside of the area.

I can relate, since the basketball team in Orlando (an armpit of a place with a terrible newspaper, as many of you pointed out) is in the same black hole. That’s why I suggested the Magic’s anonymous billionaire owner sell the team to the Kardashians.

Sadly, they are not in the market for an NBA team. But if Donald Trump or Jon Bon Jovi were, I’d love for either to become owner since it would make the Magic far more compelling beyond the 407 area code.

Endorsing one of them as an NFL owner doesn’t mean you’re anti-Bills. My guess is neither could do any worse than Ralph Wilson & Co. the past 15 years. And I understand why Bills fans are mortified over anyone who might move the team.

But as I wrote, I wasn’t speaking as a Buffalo fan. I was speaking as the average sports fan from Utah, North Carolina or Timbuktu. Call me crazy, but I think they would be more interested in the Bills if a guy like Trump or Bon Jovi were in the owner’s box.

Maybe Terry Pegula will get the team, start a second career as a famous rock star and we’ll all be happy.

Sincerely,

David Whitley

I think he should let someone like me speak as an average fan from Utah, rather than assuming what one might think or say.

I think he should let someone like me speak as an average fan from Utah, rather than assuming what one might think or say.

This was my reply:

Fair enough and I appreciate the response. I think that you missed a couple of things. Imagine if the Orlando Magic had been in your community for 30 years longer and that new celebrity owner was going to take them to Norfolk. Would you still think that it would add excitement?

In response to the part about not speaking to people from Buffalo, I am in New Orleans. The Bills travel better than any team in the NFL outside of Pittsburgh and Green Bay. When they were here last year my friend on the tourism board said that outside of Pittsburgh 2 years ago it was the most opposing fans to visit the city in 15 years. There was an estimated 20,000 Bills fans that made the trip.

Lastly, does anyone really need to be interested or care about a team that is not their own? Do I care more about the Milwaukee Bucks now that they have celebrity coach Jason Kidd? Nope. It does not matter to me. I care infinitely more that my team (the Pelicans) traded for a 2nd round pick to pick Russ Smith (and he will not even dress). The point is that you care about your own teams. No one here cares if the Magic are interesting or not (except I went to college with Rob Hennigan).

I have literally read hundreds of articles, columns, etc... on this sale and this is the 1st time that I have ever responded. I hope that you at least grasp why you drew such venom over this particular topic. I can pretty much guarantee that you did not get one email agreeing with you. This team is not a fun thing that the people of that community cheer for; it IS that community. If you want to poke Dolphins fans, go for it. They will not care. Perhaps you were not aware of that and I am sure that you are now. Again, I appreciate the response but hope that you stick to topics that you are a little more familiar with in the future.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

fair response. Winning is what matters most tho. People will pay attention if they will.

Anyone know or care who the Ravens owner was when the own the Super Bowl?

I can probably name 3 owners, none have won the super bowl recently Which kind of makes your point itself.

This was my reply:

Fair enough and I appreciate the response. I think that you missed a couple of things. Imagine if the Orlando Magic had been in your community for 30 years longer and that new celebrity owner was going to take them to Norfolk. Would you still think that it would add excitement?

In response to the part about not speaking to people from Buffalo, I am in New Orleans. The Bills travel better than any team in the NFL outside of Pittsburgh and Green Bay. When they were here last year my friend on the tourism board said that outside of Pittsburgh 2 years ago it was the most opposing fans to visit the city in 15 years. There was an estimated 20,000 Bills fans that made the trip.

Lastly, does anyone really need to be interested or care about a team that is not their own? Do I care more about the Milwaukee Bucks now that they have celebrity coach Jason Kidd? Nope. It does not matter to me. I care infinitely more that my team (the Pelicans) traded for a 2nd round pick to pick Russ Smith (and he will not even dress). The point is that you care about your own teams. No one here cares if the Magic are interesting or not (except I went to college with Rob Hennigan).

I have literally read hundreds of articles, columns, etc... on this sale and this is the 1st time that I have ever responded. I hope that you at least grasp why you drew such venom over this particular topic. I can pretty much guarantee that you did not get one email agreeing with you. This team is not a fun thing that the people of that community cheer for; it IS that community. If you want to poke Dolphins fans, go for it. They will not care. Perhaps you were not aware of that and I am sure that you are now. Again, I appreciate the response but hope that you stick to topics that you are a little more familiar with in the future.

Well at least you know how to form a strong argument without swearing. His reply really rubbed me the wrong way on top of his original article.

I would have been less than kosher in my reply.

Edited by The Wiz

So on the local WENY ("this is home") the sports chick said TPegs and Trumps bids have moved on but "no word on JBJ's." Good lord now even local peeps are feeding the frenzy.

I'm sure this was mentioned somewhere in here, but JBJ not moving on does not mean the Toronto group is out, right? JBJ might drop out, then the Toronto group can bid during the extended window, and they have the money to play with TPegs when you remove the principal ownership constraint they had when JBJ was in the group. Let's not count our chickens yet.

I'm sure this was mentioned somewhere in here, but JBJ not moving on does not mean the Toronto group is out, right? JBJ might drop out, then the Toronto group can bid during the extended window, and they have the money to play with TPegs when you remove the principal ownership constraint they had when JBJ was in the group. Let's not count our chickens yet.

Right but doing that removes even the slightest veneer of "We're not moving to Toronto"

Probably wrong, Rogers money is tied up amongst 3 or 4 other people and they need the approval of a trust fund to get it, and the other is a corporation which can't be principal owner

Probably wrong, Rogers money is tied up amongst 3 or 4 other people and they need the approval of a trust fund to get it, and the other is a corporation which can't be principal owner

And the Rogers money wasn't even planning on joining until later on at a smaller cost. They are likely to not extend themselves after they just spending 5 billion for exclusive TV rights to the cfl TV market.

Edited by The Wiz