New sale of team thread

The new senior management is probably what is holding this up. The trust, since it is composed of two members of senior management and a third who is very, very close and friendly with senior management, surely wants senior management to stay in place.

I don't see how, if all of this is accurate (and reports are often wrong) that the Buffalo Bills can succeed with the entrenched senior management remaining in place. We had a report in February prior to Mr. Wilson's passing that said the new coaching staff felt hindered by this very group of people. I doubt that feeling among the staff has changed, although coaches may be swept up in this as well.

It's reasonable for high level executives to want to keep their positions, but given the track record I would expect a new owner committed to winning to find replacements.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how, if all of this is accurate (and reports are often wrong) that the Buffalo Bills can succeed with the entrenched senior management remaining in place. We had a report in February prior to Mr. Wilson's passing that said the new coaching staff felt hindered by this very group of people. I doubt that feeling among the staff has changed, although coaches may be swept up in this as well.

It's reasonable for high level executives to want to keep their positions, but given the track record I would expect a new owner committed to winning to find replacements.

I agree. But that is not the issue at all. The issue is two members of that old guard are making the decision on who gets the team. And the main decider, Mary Wilson, very likely wants to hear that all her friends do not lose their jobs when she makes that decision. So if the money is close, and the team stays in Buffalo, why wouldn't they choose the guy that promises no change.

Golisano actually put in the agreement that Pegula could not move the Sabres out of Buffalo, not that Pegula had any intention of it. It's also not necessarily true that Golisano just wanted to flip the Sabres. He turned Pegula down at least once and I think two times before agreeing to sell.

My issue with Golisano is that he is 10 years older than Pegula and married to Monica Seles and who knows what will happen if he were to pass away. I assume that he would immediately make provisions in his will to keep the team here but we don't know that. if it's Pegula, he has a younger wife that is very involved and three kids who are very sports minded. The Bills would be here for a generation or two at least.

Thanks for the specifics on the Golisano/Pegula transaction. I didn't know he had turned Pegula down before agreeing to sell to him or about that clause. I think that is even more indicative to people that Golisano is a friend to WNY.

I understand concern about his age though. But all we have to go by is his prior history and that history indicates he wouldn't sell out the people of WNY. And even though the cycle of life indicates an older person is "supposed" to go first, a forty year old could really be a ninety year old for all they know. Life is uncertain. Mr. Wilson's daughter Linda, the one who scouted for the team, passed away at a youngish age. That's someone who I bet would have been interested in keeping the team in the family.

I'm saying all that to say if we get an owner who has proven to be dedicated to the region of WNY based on prior actions we should take it, run and enjoy without letting thoughts of down the line hang over our heads. I think if Pegula or Golisano were the owners we have little or nothing to be concerned about going forward.

I think that Littman will be moving on but I would be VERY surprised if anyone else did. Perhaps, some of the guys that go back decades (Berchtold or Overdorf) may move on but other than that I do not see it happening. The senior management team has a great deal of respect around the league and with the new ownership groups.

I don't know this for sure, just my educated opinion. Morgan Stanley (and perhaps the NFL owners) is a little frustrated by the lack of a bidding war. Trump is in it but he is not going much higher. The Toronto group can't. Pegula is the clear winner but perhaps didnt bid as high as most reports say he did. Morgan Stanley is lobbying the trust to convince Golisano to join in the bidding, saying that he would keep all of the senior management intact, and Pegula would keep most of them but not all.

Meanwhile, they let TG know that the Trust slightly prefers him to Pegula because of this and that if the bids are equal, TG will get the nod. All this does in reality is make Pegula pony up another 100-200m to get the team because he is not going to be outbid by Golisano unless TG does something stupid, which is unlikely.

All this is good for the trust, Morgan Stanley, the NFL, and TG. It's not quite so good for Pegula, but he is not going to realy lose money on it because if he pays 200m more it is likely to be worth 200m more. He just won't have as much cash to spend, which he doesn't at all need.

This. There is a potential angle to bring another local bidder into the mix that was mentioned awhile back, but I haven't seen or heard anything about it in months. Not even the connected people on this board have mentioned it, which makes me doubt that the team/trust was in the loop on it. If we hear of someone besides BTG / tp as a local bidder, it may be through that particular path. If that road gets traveled at this late date we'll know that those vested in a higher sale price are looking to drum up demand.

I'm saying all that to say if we get an owner who has proven to be dedicated to the region of WNY based on prior actions we should take it, run and enjoy without letting thoughts of down the line hang over our heads. I think if Pegula or Golisano were the owners we have little or nothing to be concerned about going forward.

Agreed. I have nothing against Golisano as the Bills owner. I just prefer Pegula for a couple reasons. There is nothing that Golisano has ever said or done that would make me believe even after he passed that the team was allowed to move. In fact, I think just the opposite and he would ensure it. I would just prefer TP to TG.

I think that Littman will be moving on but I would be VERY surprised if anyone else did. Perhaps, some of the guys that go back decades (Berchtold or Overdorf) may move on but other than that I do not see it happening. The senior management team has a great deal of respect around the league and with the new ownership groups.

I agree. Also, I'm confused about where Pegula blowing up the ship is coming from. When he bought the sabres the only person handed their walking papers was Quinn(for good reason). I honestly don't think he would make any changes to the front office for at least 2 years.

Agreed. I have nothing against Golisano as the Bills owner. I just prefer Pegula for a couple reasons. There is nothing that Golisano has ever said or done that would make me believe even after he passed that the team was allowed to move. In fact, I think just the opposite and he would ensure it. I would just prefer TP to TG.

I really don't want to relive the days of OSP either.

My feelings exactly. The age gap has a little something to do with it but both would be at the top of my list.

Thanks pup. But a deadline is a deadline to me. Seems more like a feeling out to me. I also warn you not to think the Toronto group is done. Bon Jovi will not go away easily,there are not to many opportunities to buy and NFL team. Seems like Goodell likes him. Goodells favorite team was the Steelers . Being a W.N.Y. boy.

What do you mean when you say "entrenched senior management"? The last thing that this bumbling organization needs is more change. Whaley and his staff are remolding the organization from the front office to the coaching staff and stabilizing what was a very chaotic and quixotic organization into a stable football operation. When the new owner takes over Littman will be gone and maybe even Oberdorf.

Brandon was in over his head when he attempted to get involved in the football operation. He very quickly realized it. From the business and marketing side of the operation Brandon is superb.

A new owner has the perorgative of hiring his own people. That is understood. For me allowing the current regime to stay in place would be a wise approach to take. In my opinion patience and continuity is what this historically troubled franchise needs more than ever.

I agree. Also, I'm confused about where Pegula blowing up the ship is coming from. When he bought the sabres the only person handed their walking papers was Quinn(for good reason). I honestly don't think he would make any changes to the front office for at least 2 years.

To me, unless you spoke with him about it, it's impossible to know what Pegula thinks about that. The first time he did it he kept the management intact and it blew up in his face in spectacular fashion, so much so that he had to then blow the thing up himself. It cost a lot of money and three years or more of time. After blowing it all up they are on a tremendous path right now.

So is he a guy who believes in giving the people there already another chance, or is he a guy who believes now in blowing things up.

I don't know. My opinion is he will keep the main guys, Brandon and Whaley, and most of senior management, and then bring in one or two guys of his own to oversee operations and report back to him. And if the team wins, they stay, and if they continue to be in the middle of the pack or worse, in two years he cleans house.

Same here. I like the involvement and genuine interest of Pegula's wife and daughters; these are people who will be fully committed to making and keeping the Bills winners (just as they are with the Sabres).

As for existing Bills senior management, the only folks I want to stay around are Brandon and Whaley...the rest of 'em can sink or swim.

Thanks pup. But a deadline is a deadline to me. Seems more like a feeling out to me. I also warn you not to think the Toronto group is done. Bon Jovi will not go away easily,there are not to many opportunities to buy and NFL team. Seems like Goodell likes him. Goodells favorite team was the Steelers . Being a W.N.Y. boy.

The NFL would never let Bon Jovi and the Toronto group win. It's virtually impossible because of the lease. They are there only to drive the price up. Not a chance in hell they win even if they had the money.

Yeah well I saw many posters on here say Nassib was 100% to be the Bills QB. Just because you win the bid,DOES NOT mean the owners will approve you. Stranger things have happened. Bon Jovi is doing his best suck up job. One thing,I`ll feel a lot better when this is over. Why wouldn`t the NFL the Toronto group in ? This is where Goodell seems to be pushing.I wish Ralph would have never brought Toronto into the picture. It all started there.

To me, unless you spoke with him about it, it's impossible to know what Pegula thinks about that. The first time he did it he kept the management intact and it blew up in his face in spectacular fashion, so much so that he had to then blow the thing up himself. It cost a lot of money and three years or more of time. After blowing it all up they are on a tremendous path right now.

So is he a guy who believes in giving the people there already another chance, or is he a guy who believes now in blowing things up.

I don't know. My opinion is he will keep the main guys, Brandon and Whaley, and most of senior management, and then bring in one or two guys of his own to oversee operations and report back to him. And if the team wins, they stay, and if they continue to be in the middle of the pack or worse, in two years he cleans house.

That's pretty much my take. I don't think he would come in and day 1 rebuild the front office. That what my 2 year estimate was based on. Year 1 getting himself entrenched in the organization and year 2 he would start making the evaluations.

Yeah well I saw many posters on here say Nassib was 100% to be the Bills QB. Just because you win the bid,DOES NOT mean the owners will approve you. Stranger things have happened. Bon Jovi is doing his best suck up job. One thing,I`ll feel a lot better when this is over. Why wouldn`t the NFL the Toronto group in ? This is where Goodell seems to be pushing.I wish Ralph would have never brought Toronto into the picture. It all started there.

draft speculation/guessing/smoke screens is a little different... Not sure I get that analogy.

It is a non issue. The trust will not sell to someone that has an interest in moving the team to Toronto -period. It makes for a good story that a celebrity wants in and that's why it has gotten so much traction. Buffalo is not at risk of losing its franchise.