Mayock's take on EJ Manuel

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the doubters!

What's the point of this? Are the doubters all supposed to say oh ok I'm a believer now bc of something Mayock said over a year ago before he was even drafted?

EJ is a HUGE question mark right now, you either get that or you dont

What's the point of this? Are the doubters all supposed to say oh ok I'm a believer now bc of something Mayock said over a year ago before he was even drafted?

dude, chill. pills-n-bills is gonna open up a can of whoop-ass on you if you keep talking like that.

dude, chill. pills-n-bills is gonna open up a can of whoop-ass on you if you keep talking like that.

Dude, I could care less.

Edited by Max997

I'm pulling for EJ but the jury is still out on him. And while I like Mayock, he's not infallible. He wasn't exactly sold on Cam Newton when he was being drafted.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/25/mayock-on-cam-newton-i-dont-know-how-great-he-wants-to-be/

Ok yeah sure but on the other hand he was all in on Blaine Gabbert.

I am "all in" on EJ, and think rumours of his suckiness are highly overdone....that said, I do believe, Mayock has expressed dobuts about EJ more recently, in the buildup to this years draft....

Edited by Buftex

For all the doubters!

How does this make anyone feel better? "Yes he's got a big on, but on tape, in that Florida State offense, nearly all his throws are between zero and 10 yards." (0.26.029)

Thanks because that didn't make me feel like EJ the answer.

It takes a QB usually two to three years to get to their full abilities. Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tom Brady, and Ben Rothlesberger made a lot of mistakes their rookie year.

My point is simply, let's see if he develops this year. If he improves to a middle of the pack QB, great running game and defense, we slip into the playoffs, will everyone still complain?

The answer for me simply is I don't have a strong opinion on him yet. I'm in a wait and see mode.

You wrote two and a half sentences bitching about what some one posted on a forum that is here to create discussion to prove what??? Again??

You wrote 2 1/4 sentences bitching about what someone posted on a forum that is here to create discussion to prove what? Again?

I mean, really, many of the doubters on here gave Losman 6 years and numerous excuses yet EJ played 6 games and they wanna feed him to alligators. It's UNREAL!

I think it is fine to doubt EJ at this point, but considering he has 10 games in playing behind a putrid OL it is way too early to draw any conclusions. He was arguably a bottom tier QB in his rookie year. Reasonable expectations would be for him to progress to a mid tier NFL QB in year 2. If he minimizes turnovers and improves on his inaccuracy, gets some decent play selection from OC, we win games. There is too much talent on both sides of the ball to go 6-10 again with decent QB play. Minimum 9 games should be achievable.

It's simple really. Everyone wants to be able to say "I told you so." The odds are always higher a player will not be great so this is making the easy bet.

I suppose that could be part of it, but, the overriding desire of everyone here is to see a successful team. If you expect (and I know you don't) 100% agreement then you've come to the wrong place.

EJ started 10 games last year. Some use that to say "he needs more time." Others use it to say (pre-draft, it's too late now) "we really should have solid options behind EJ."

What many are loathe to admit is that all of us, yes, all, want the same thing.

The FO has spent a lot of time talking about getting back to the playoffs. That will be a good first step, but, personally, I won't be satisfied with Bengals-like success. I want more than that, but, one step at a time.

I think it is fine to doubt EJ at this point, but considering he has 10 games in playing behind a putrid OL it is way too early to draw any conclusions. He was arguably a bottom tier QB in his rookie year. Reasonable expectations would be for him to progress to a mid tier NFL QB in year 2. If he minimizes turnovers and improves on his inaccuracy, gets some decent play selection from OC, we win games. There is too much talent on both sides of the ball to go 6-10 again with decent QB play. Minimum 9 games should be achievable.

No. He needs to win the Superbowl this year or else we wasted our 1st rounder on watkins for nothing. :rolleyes:

I agree with you assessment. Only 1 QB drafted in 2013 is going to be the starting QB this year. Yes there are still question marks but we have seen his potential in a few games last year. Imagine if we would have drafted Geno instead of EJ. We wouldn't have had the luxury of getting the best WR in the draft this year and could have ended up with Johnny Football (whom I loathe).

Edited by The Wiz

One thing I will look for in EJ is his ability (and quickness) to make reads. In a few games last year, he would drop back, the #1 option was there and he'd put a nice throw in there. If the #1 option was covered he came a little confused it seemed and would eventually become under pressure. None of that surprising for a rookie QB. A fast game is the NFL.

I also hope to see him throw the long ball with more accuracy this year. We'll see. Sure, my fingers are crossed on the kid but I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him just yet.

One positive aspect about Manuel's rookie season that few people talk about was that he had 2 game winning drives and it should have been 3 if Stevie or Chandler didn't drop those two easy catches from Manuel in the dreaded Falcons/Bills Toronto game. Out of 10 games, that's very good.

One positive aspect about Manuel's rookie season that few people talk about was that he had 2 game winning drives and it should have been 3 if Stevie or Chandler didn't drop those two easy catches from Manuel in the dreaded Falcons/Bills Toronto game. Out of 10 games, that's very good.

Keep in mind the Carolina game was early on in the season and as last season progressed so did the Panthers while the Bills continued to find ways to lose games. Was never a fan of the Manuel pick but as this point what concerns me more than EJ's numerous issues mechanically and physically is Hackett and his mind-boggling play calling? I'm sure many will disagree but Lewis is good for a game or two if Manuel goes down. Love Thad as a backup but that's it! Still not pleased with our dysfunctional QB carousel

Keep in mind the Carolina game was early on in the season and as last season progressed so did the Panthers while the Bills continued to find ways to lose games. Was never a fan of the Manuel pick but as this point what concerns me more than EJ's numerous issues mechanically and physically is Hackett and his mind-boggling play calling? I'm sure many will disagree but Lewis is good for a game or two if Manuel goes down. Love Thad as a backup but that's it! Still not pleased with our dysfunctional QB carousel

Oh, so that game winning drive against the Panthers doesn't count? Got it!...LOL

The Atlanta game was game #13 with the Bills' season on the line and the two dropsie twins, SJ and Chandler, both had easy catches to greatly help Manuel's progression and blew it. The only disfunction happening right now are Bills fans who have no patience with a young and raw QB like Manuel. It's pretty harsh when you can't even give him credit for his successes.

Oh, so that game winning drive against the Panthers doesn't count? Got it!...LOL

The Atlanta game was game #13 with the Bills' season on the line and the two dropsie twins, SJ and Chandler, both had easy catches to greatly help Manuel's progression and blew it. The only disfunction happening right now are Bills fans who have no patience with a young and raw QB like Manuel. It's pretty harsh when you can't even give him credit for his successes.

I'll happily give EJ his just due when it's earned! As for your comment about the dropsie twins I applaud that and I agree. As for unlucky #13 I have no issues parting ways with him. Love what's in the WR stable which will only get better/improve without SJ.

I am "all in" on EJ, and think rumours of his suckiness are highly overdone....that said, I do believe, Mayock has expressed about EJ more recently, in the buildup to this years draft....

I agree with this. I am surprised when I see so many people acting as though EJ was awful last year and will never have a chance to become a serviceable starter in the NFL. He performed very well when he wasn't injured last year and although sometimes inconsistent, most if not all rookie QB's are. He showed great leadership when called upon to deliver in games where we may have fallen apart in the recent past and seems to be a good leader in the locker room as well.

I believe we made the right pick for this team last year and I am excited to see how he progresses with the weapons and protection he is now surrounded with. If he can stay healthy, and continues to progress, I believe we may have the franchise QB we have lacked since #12 retired.

I'm actually counting the Atlanta game as two comeback wins (one in regulation and one in OT) given back by the dropsy twins.

As I've stated many times, rookie QB performance hasn't evolved at the same pace as fan expectations. Especially for those QBs everyone knew needed a redshirt year.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll happily give EJ his just due when it's earned! As for your comment about the dropsie twins I applaud that and I agree. As for unlucky #13 I have no issues parting ways with him. Love what's in the WR stable which will only get better/improve without SJ.

I believe the plays mentioned in the post before yours was the beginning of him earning his dues.

The point is that EJ was drafted for his ceiling, for his potential, not for his floor or where he was at when drafted. He was a development prospect that wasnt suppossed to start till his second year. If he lives up to his ceiling potential it will be year 3 where he starts to excel. Consider last year a wash for that it was. Hopefully he learned from last season in a positive way and hopefully it didnt hurt his growth as that was the real risk with playing him last year especially with how it worked out.

Not just his turnovers and accuracy, thing that had me worried most last year was his lack of reading/seeing the open options.

Dude, I'm not a believer in EJ either, but I am a believer in pills-n-bills and his ability to open a can of whoop ass.

Well he deserves a TON of room just for that screen name.

I've been here since the nineties and that is as good as it gets. Yep, it's right up there with "Ted Anderson's Lunch Pail," "Tortured Soul," "Sisyphean Bills," "Pass the Pipe," etc.

The point is that EJ was drafted for his ceiling, for his potential, not for his floor or where he was at when drafted. He was a development prospect that wasnt suppossed to start till his second year. If he lives up to his ceiling potential it will be year 3 where he starts to excel. Consider last year a wash for that it was. Hopefully he learned from last season in a positive way and hopefully it didnt hurt his growth as that was the real risk with playing him last year especially with how it worked out.

Not just his turnovers and accuracy, thing that had me worried most last year was his lack of reading/seeing the open options.

^This. Personally, I'm not in the 'I told ya so' crowd PTR claims. I don't think that's even a reality, but nothing surprises me here. For me, and many, we realize this team as more overall talent than any team since the day we kicked 3 HOFers to the curb. The glaring concern that the losing will continue is on our 2nd year QB. As Beerball said, we ALL want him to succeed because doing so means playoffs and league relevancy. I do expect him to play with more confidence and improve his game. Will it be enough? That's why we watch.

Couldn't have been said any better than this bladiebla! again, do I we want EJ to succeed? Yes! sadly though just like another change at the HC position including different positional coaches/coordinators we're starting all over again. how nice it would be to have stability not only in who's under center but head coaching as well instead of the perpetual turnover. I promise the players do as well! Sure do miss those days going into every sunday knowing we can beat any and everybody not only on the field but the sidelines as well.

Everyone should realize ej was clearly a guy taken for his upside, so it is natural that there are still question marks. I don't think they intended him to start last year, but a concussion ended that.

They also made a huge mistake by not having a dedicated qb coach for him. Not a good move for a rookie.

All that said, I don't see how anyone can be sold on ej yet, but I'm optimistic he can develop. I have no patience for those who have no patience for a rookie qb with 10 games under his belt. Hopefully this year we start to see the upside.