Bills coaches want to move on from training staff, FO dysfunction

FluffHead

Mr. Pantiesinabunch Graham has a story this morning that Bills coaches would like to move on from Bud Carpenter and his "old school" training staff because their methodologies are "behind the times". I say the proof is in the pudding and get on with it. However the story suggests the front office is not behind the potential move. Who wins out?

Edited by Beerball
Modified title to include FO

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Pantiesinabunch Graham has a story this morning that Bills coaches would like to move on from Bud Carpenter and his "old school" training staff because their methodologies are "behind the times". I say the proof is in the pudding and get on with it. However the story suggests the front office is not behind the potential move. Who wins out?

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/02/23/sources-bills-coaches-want-change-training-staff-front-office-might-agree/

'Marrone and Whaley also are said to be highly interested in changing the Bills' this-is-the-way-we've-always-done-it culture.' Well if this is really Brandons team and he said its a 'New Era' Then he needs to listen to Marrone and Whaley and start with the Training staff. I am sure there is much more that needs to be changed as well. What is the definition of insanity?

Well who in the front office dont want this change?

I would say Brandon aka he still answers to Ralph although he says he doesn't, Jeffery Littman the money man for Ralph Wilson etal.

'Marrone and Whaley also are said to be highly interested in changing the Bills' this-is-the-way-we've-always-done-it culture.' Well if this is really Brandons team and he said its a 'New Era' Then he needs to listen to Marrone and Whaley and start with the Training staff. I am sure there is much more that needs to be changed as well. What is the definition of insanity?

I would say Brandon aka he still answers to Ralph although he says he doesn't, Jeffery Littman the money man for Ralph Wilson etal.

I am also willing to bet Whaley wants to handle Contracts now. That would put our long time capologist out of work. That would REALLY upset the apple cart

Ralph insists the team use those Jack Lalane workout videos. He paid good money to have a Betamax installed in the workout room, dagnabbit.

PTR

Of course the Betamax aren't worth much since they took the tvs out.

So let me get this straight........your panties are also bunched as a result of this subject?

Panties......official undergarment of TBDbags. :thumbsup:

I do feel there has been a high number of injuries on our team in recent years as well as a decline in performance in the 4th quarter. In training, it's important to switch it up and try new things. Let's get some new guys in there to shake things up

I've often wondered why NFL clubs are so behind the times with training and physical therapy/exercise. There are many, many new and better programs to exercise an athlete beyond just straight muscle training and running. Even if it is some hybrid Pilates, Yoga, Crossfit, plyometric, meditating mumbo jumbo I do not think it could be that hard to work on this. Beyond that, the diet and intake need to be adjusted with these players.

I've often wondered why NFL clubs are so behind the times with training and physical therapy/exercise. There are many, many new and better programs to exercise an athlete beyond just straight muscle training and running. Even if it is some hybrid Pilates, Yoga, Crossfit, plyometric, meditating mumbo jumbo I do not think it could be that hard to work on this. Beyond that, the diet and intake need to be adjusted with these players.

Screw that!

Just squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, and do weighted pull-ups!

Heck that's all I do and I'm strong as a bull...

...oh wait, I can't play football for shizz...never mind

There was a WSJ article on this earlier this week--in particular what Brent Celek of the Eagles does in the offseason under Chip Kelly's new regime. Interesting stuff....

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/165997-how-an-nfl-tight-ends-works-out-in-the-off-season/

Screw that!

Just squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, and do weighted pull-ups!

Heck that's all I do and I'm strong as a bull...

...oh wait, I can't play football for shizz...never mind

I'm never happy about anyone losing their job...

But this move would actually go a long way in solidifying my faith in Marrone and Whaley...Why would any professional team not want to be on the cutting edge in this area? B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

It's disturbing to me that a source was willing to speak on the record about this coach-FO rift to TG. If there's a staff purge this week, we'll either know who the leak was or who won the power struggle.

Yes it is. Especially if you have been drinking the kool aid about how much things have changed within the Bills organization.

Why would a team president prevent a GM and HC from changing the training staff? Maybe because he is entertaining the thought that the GM and HC might not be with the team in a couple years?

I think Marrone wants the kind of power that a proven winner as a HC gets. I am far from convinced that Marrone is the guy but they hired him and to his credit he took a job that many around the NFL have wanted nothing to do with.......so even if they are discouraged by his handling of the first 13 months of his tenure they really should let him do what he sees fit.

They can't keep undermining their HC's. This is why Chuck Knox said Buffalo was where good coaches go to die. If Marrone wants Carpenter and staff replaced then replace them and if Marrone fails miserably and gets fired next December then at least the next guy comes into this job knowing that the organization will let their GM/HC choose the people they have to work with.

Yes it is. Especially if you have been drinking the kool aid about how much things have changed within the Bills organization.

Why would a team president prevent a GM and HC from changing the training staff? Maybe because he is entertaining the thought that the GM and HC might not be with the team in a couple years?

I think Marrone wants the kind of power that a proven winner as a HC gets. I am far from convinced that Marrone is the guy but they hired him and to his credit he took a job that many around the NFL have wanted nothing to do with.......so even if they are discouraged by his handling of the first 13 months of his tenure they really should let him do what he sees fit.

They can't keep undermining their HC's. This is why Chuck Knox said Buffalo was where good coaches go to die. If Marrone wants Carpenter and staff replaced then replace them and if Marrone fails miserably and gets fired next December then at least the next guy comes into this job knowing that the organization will let their GM/HC choose the people they have to work with.

Can we please ban this phrase? If we want to get up to date on training can we update our catch phrases to 21st century?

Could the reluctance have anything to do with Hojo's firing and subsequent lawsuit?

I'm never happy about anyone losing their job...

But this move would actually go a long way in solidifying my faith in Marrone and Whaley...Why would any professional team not want to be on the cutting edge in this area? B-)

Yea, but they are fighting the status quo. This owner admires loyalty, so as long as they show up...then its good enough for him!

What freaking team would keep head scout Tom Modrak with a draft history like he had for a over a decade. So many, many questionable hires over the years... Kay Stephenson anyone? By the same token he also holds a grudge, and is notoriously cantankerous. i.e, John Butler, Bill Polian.

When I read the ESPN report that Buddy Nix wanted to hire Marty Schottenheimer for his first choice as his HC, and the owner stated he didn't "feel comfortable" with that choice. (Probably because he knew Marty wouldn't allow him himself to be micromanaged over the phone every day for hours) I knew the Bills were done until the team gets new ownership, sadly.

Unless of course Marrone wants to hire another good bud, like Crossman.

Mike Mularkey screwed the team when he brought in his friend as the trainer and let Rusty Jones go.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-02-07/sports/ct-spt-0208-bears-pompei-rusty-jones-chicago--20130208_1_rusty-jones-strength-coach-phil-emery

My take is Marrone is on borrowed time if the team loses so many games again this year.

Unless of course Marrone wants to hire another good bud, like Crossman.

Mike Mularkey screwed the team when he brought in his friend as the trainer and let Rusty Jones go.

http://articles.chic...oach-phil-emery

My take is Marrone is on borrowed time if the team loses so many games again this year.

There's a difference between trainers and strength and conditioning coaches.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Can we please ban this phrase? If we want to get up to date on training can we update our catch phrases to 21st century?

Man, the bodies aren't even 40 years cold and "drinking the kool aid" is a hackneyed phrase for blindly following? While you are updating us there are dozens of "catch phrases" used here every day that are hundreds of years old and refer to things that are no longer even part of our culture.....can you update those for us as well? :lol:

Could the reluctance have anything to do with Hojo's firing and subsequent lawsuit?

It could be but it's not unheard of for teams to change training staffs. I am sure the Bills would have to provide a decent severance package to the current trainers but if the coach and trainer don't see eye to eye then one of them has to go.

what ever amounted to all of that? I remember a lot of speculation and serious accusations against Hojo.

It seemed warranted at the time with what was going on. And It was not just Hojo. It was many across the league leading me to believe the shield got involved on the investigation.

what ever amounted to all of that? I remember a lot of speculation and serious accusations against Hojo.

It seemed warranted at the time with what was going on. And It was not just Hojo. It was many across the league leading me to believe the shield got involved on the investigation.

A judge dismissed the case. Seems headed for arbitration.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/federal-court/judge-dismissed-suit-by-ex-bills-employee-claiming-age-discrimination-20140204

GO BILLS!!!

There's a difference between trainers and strength and conditioning coaches.

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly! Some folks posting in this thread seem to think it's the Strength and Conditioning staff that's under discussion.

The trainers are the whirlpool, tape, TENS unit, massage, and therapy guys.

One of them is a little person. Maybe Timmah is a height bigot. :ph34r:

One of them is a little person. Maybe Timmah is a height bigot. :ph34r:

His name is Chris Fischetti. I know giving him a name disrupts your agenda but if the coach isn't happy with the results of the training staff I don't really think it matters if he is a dwarf or a norm.

It's disturbing to me that a source was willing to speak on the record about this coach-FO rift to TG. If there's a staff purge this week, we'll either know who the leak was or who won the power struggle.

Beware the anonymous source. Could be Joe Shiptbag from the cafeteria saying that

Or maybe Pantywad Graham is making this stuff up.