Bills coaches want to move on from training staff, FO dysfunction

FluffHead

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is like the ebola virus, it spread from monkeys to humans at some point but where ? My question, Graham's article is about the Bills wanting to change their training staff, when was there a media report that this was about Littman and Overdorf (the two buffoons) ?

Ed: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/02/23/sources-disconnect-youngsters-lifers-bills-organization/

This is very interesting and welcome. Its painfully obvious these suits in the shadows have had too heavy a hand in too many matters that affect winning. Shifting Brandon to "owner" really didnt do anything to quell the problem (if he isnt a major part of the problem himself).

What do they do if this story becomes bigger? They will be exposed as frauds if Whaley and/or Marrone are dealt with (or quit). I dont see Overdork and Littman going anywhere...

who in the new guard would be bold enough to reach out to TG? This is not an old gate keeper or even a sentry. This is a new player in the mix

exactly.

how has nobody griped about these guys since the 80's? what's changed?

oh yeah...

This thread is like the ebola virus, it spread from monkeys to humans at some point but where ? My question, Graham's article is about the Bills wanting to change their training staff, when was there a media report that this was about Littman and Overdorf (the two buffoons) ?

about two hours after the training staff one, buddy. next time don't just jump to page nine to chime in. :nana:

There's is a lot of Brandon hate being spread throughout this thread and I'm damn curious as to why.

I get the impression that almost all of the rub against him began as message board **** talking, and those that wanted to believe it glommed on to it and have been circulating it ever since.

He's a marketing/PR guy first and foremost: Yeah, and a former collegiate athlete, he knows what makes teams tick. It's not just applyign the same principles you would to sell laundry detergent.

He's a liar: how so?

I get the impression fans just want to hate the guy because Ralph misguidedly promoted him to "GM" what? Eight years ago?

We've since moved on. But the biases here are palpable and I don't understand them.

If I'm truly missing something, by all means, enlighten.

This is very interesting and welcome. Its painfully obvious these suits in the shadows have had too heavy a hand in too many matters that affect winning. Shifting Brandon to "owner" really didnt do anything to quell the problem (if he isnt a major part of the problem himself).

What do they do if this story becomes bigger? They will be exposed as frauds if Whaley and/or Marrone are dealt with (or quit). I dont see Overdork and Littman going anywhere...

So I am probably oversimplifying this, but I can only equate it to what I know about some other NFL FOs and then everyday corporate life. He doesn't need to "fire" them. He can readjust their control to suit what Whaley and Marrone feel is best (as long as he agrees, which he may). If they don't like it, they can leave. Saves him from having to fire them. They can "mutually" decide to part ways (like Banner in Cleveland). Unless I am incorrect on the hierarchy, my understanding is Russ has full control of the team and just keeps Ralph informed. They report to Russ. He can structure it how he pleases. Correct or no?

there are a few voices i expect to join the thread at some point, and ill be very curious to hear what they have to say. right now its just a whole lot of throwing stuff at the wall and we will see what sticks.

Same here... very interested to hear from them.

There you have it. I've said it before - season ticket holders should start a class action lawsuit against the Bills alleging consumer fraud, because they say one thing and do the other. It's called fraud, and other businesses have trouble getting away with it for this long.

not going to happen. Jets fan tried to sue in the wake of spygate. turns out ticket buyers are guarnateed access to the contest and that's it. the fairness of said contest is something no one is entitled to.

not going to happen. Jets fan tried to sue in the wake of spygate. turns out ticket buyers are guarnateed access to the contest and that's it. the fairness of said contest is something no one is entitled to.

And furthermore, your ticket to the game is just a license for the seat designated and can be revoked at any time at the discretion of the team.

GO BILLS!!!

exactly.

how has nobody griped about these guys since the 80's? what's changed?

oh yeah...

about two hours after the training staff one, buddy. next time don't just jump to page nine to chime in. :nana:

I read all 9 pages but didn't see any link to a media report, just posters changing the conversation from training staff to FO, did I miss something ?

There's is a lot of Brandon hate being spread throughout this thread and I'm damn curious as to why.

I get the impression that almost all of the rub against him began as message board **** talking, and those that wanted to believe it glommed on to it and have been circulating it ever since.

He's a marketing/PR guy first and foremost: Yeah, and a former collegiate athlete, he knows what makes teams tick. It's not just applyign the same principles you would to sell laundry detergent.

I get the impression fans just want to hate the guy because Ralph misguidedly promoted him to "GM" what? Eight years ago?

We've since moved on. But the biases here are palpable and I don't understand them.

Can you name 3 things Brandon has done in his 10+ years with the Bills that resulted in on-field success ?

I read all 9 pages but didn't see any link to a media report, just posters changing the conversation from training staff to FO, did I miss something ?

Can you name 3 things Brandon has done in his 10+ years with the Bills that resulted in on-field success ?

yes: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/02/23/sources-disconnect-youngsters-lifers-bills-organization/

I have gone over it before, and people feel the opposite... but here goes:

-I do not think he sniffs his lofty status/title if it was not for the Bills/Wilson's situation. If he were to hit the market, what team is hiring him anywhere near CEO?

-He is a "marketing genius", however, this team really isnt marketed very well at all, especially compared to other markets I have lived in.

-His habit of kicking sand in the face of us fans whenever he can on the radio trying to justify the Toronto games. He even had to rub the "manufactured sellouts" thing in our faces... but never admits that the team being terrible for nearly a generation might have anything to do with it. In fact, he tries to head that off with pointing to a few December games 20 years ago when the team was good (but fails to mention the stadium was 80K, modern ticket brokering pushing event ticket industry, S Ontario and Rochester fans, etc). That is not good marketing

-His rise through the organization seems correlated to their fall from relevance. Things are bad/worse, let's keep promoting Russ Brandon. The fans seem to trust him!

-I thought his mouth ran a lot more last year and made a lot of statements he couldnt back up.

Let's see how/if he handles this though. If he marginalizes O and L, I will likely change my tune.

Edited by May Day 10

well, how are we defining success?

a franchise record for sacks last year?

the best quarterback since Kelly?

the franchise's third best running back (trailing two HOF'ers)

keeping the team in buffalo by any means necessary?

selling out games in spite of losing records?

he's been here for all that...

I do not have time to read nine pages so I apologize if any of this was covered.

The biggest issue in all of this (if TG's reporting is true) is that someone went to TG to try get their way rather than working in house.

Bud Carpenter - Bud is not the reason why we have not been to the playoffs in so long (I mention this because of the way TG ended his one piece). I have not ever heard that this guy is incompetent before. From what I understand, he is well respected among his peers. It seems sad that he is wrapped up in all of this.

Jeff Littman - I have never had any use for this guy - ever since his involvement with Bill Polian leaving. He can go as far as I am concerned.

Jim Overdorf - He always seems to get a lot of criticism. The guy negotiates contracts and is the legal counsel. I am pretty sure that he does not set the parameters of how much to pay a guy. Although I do not know for sure, my guess is that he is told by someone up the food chain how much the Bills are willing to pay for a guy and he tries to make it happen.

Russ Brandon - I do not understand why a lot of people (at least those that appear to be the loudest) knock him so much. He has a very difficult job given the size and realities of the Buffalo market. I think that he is doing a good job. If you are at all interested in the Bills staying in Buffalo, I would think that you would be happy with a guy from the area calling the shots.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

Big Cat, who are you in relation to Brandon or who are you on the Bills staff. Only someone who works for him and drinks his Koolaid or is a family Member would ignore what a flat out liar and ralph Wilson clone he is. The guy hasn't fixed jack ****. So far nothing has changed. First step is to do what the GM And HC are asking you to do, punt kick this old ass who is way behind the times in treatment practices of players and lets move on.

And furthermore, your ticket to the game is just a license for the seat designated and can be revoked at any time at the discretion of the team.

GO BILLS!!!

I understand. It's admittedly a stretch. But in this case (and unlike the Jets' situation) you have very specific statements of present facts and intentions, which appear on their face to be demonstrably false. That is the underpinning of a fraud claim. General statements like "we will do what it takes to win" are not going to get it done. Specific statements like "Everyone reports to me" and "Doug Whaley has final say over all matters affecting free agency" (if he were to say that) might be more to hang a lawsuit on, especially if they're said while known to be untrue, and fans rely on them in choosing to purchase season seats...

Again, it's a stretch. It would be more strategic than anything else - I wouldn't expect the lawsuit to prevail, but it would certainly be embarassing for the organization to have to deal with it...

Brandon on Jan 2, 2013: "Buddy Nix will be the general manager for a long, long time"

yet we've already hashed out that the SID spoonfeeds responses to team personnel and has flubbed them on more than one occasion. interesting, though, that in the report you cite, Buddy said the same thing.

obviously the crooks got their story straight...and we've already established whose job that is.

The biggest issue in all of this (if TG's reporting is true) is that someone went to TG to try get their way rather than working in house.

Because all other options had been exhausted and, as with any franchise, the HC and then the GM are the first to go when the team doesn't win. And given that Marrone and Whaley have seen how real NFL franchises work, they know when they're not getting the resources to have a reasonable shot at winning.

Because all other options had been exhausted and, as with any franchise, the HC and then the GM are the first to go when the team doesn't win. And given that Marrone and Whaley have seen how real NFL franchises work, they know when they're not getting the resources to have a reasonable shot at winning.

My view is that you do not going crying to TG if you do not happen to get your way. Again, Bud Carpenter is NOT the reason why the Bills have not made the playoffs. By going to the press (if any of this is true), they look like cry babies who cannot fight their own battles.

I would have preferred that they resolve whatever issues in house. If Marrone or whoever is not happy and cannot live with the result, they have the option of quitting.

Again, just my two cents.

I tend to agree...However guardedly that may be...

To me...Brandon seems like a real bright guy who is hard working and sincere...I do pick up a little too much "I wanna be one of the jocks and I'll prove it by dropping names galore" vibe from him...But that's completely harmless, and has nothing to do with how well he can do his job, or how capable he is of doing so...

I think the disdain for Russ basically goes back to his stint as GM...Many Bills fans see him as an NFL outsider who did not pay his football dues (scouting, coaching, whatever)...I don't downgrade him due to those things whatsoever because he's intelligent, and there's no reason an intelligent person cannot learn and excel...

But I will say this...Brandon has been crystal clear the he will empower the folks he's put in charge and they will have everything they need to succeed...He's talked about changing the culture of losing on many occasions, and he knows damned well that means the entire franchise from top to bottom...So if these reports are true he's painted himself into one heck of a corner now...And if he truly has the power he says he has to run this organization we should expect some big changes in the front office hierarchy very soon...Otherwise he's going to come across as a snake-oil salesman to a lot of Bills fans who are already uncomfortable with his rise to the top...If these "lifers" remain in power just about any Bills fan who has followed this team over these many years will simply assume he's still just Ralph's mouthpiece...And nothing more... B-)

My guess is at least one of the primary sources is in the scouting dept - 'Scouts and Coaches' is mentioned twice in the article, and they are at the scouting combine after all..

To me...Brandon seems like a real bright guy who is hard working and sincere...I do pick up a little too much "I wanna be one of the jocks and I'll prove it by dropping names galore" vibe from him...But that's completely harmless, and has nothing to do with how well he can do his job, or how capable he is of doing so...

I think the disdain for Russ basically goes back to his stint as GM...Many Bills fans see him as an NFL outsider who did not pay his football dues (scouting, coaching, whatever)...I don't downgrade him due to those things whatsoever because he's intelligent, and there's no reason an intelligent person cannot learn and excel...

But I will say this...Brandon has been crystal clear the he will empower the folks he's put in charge and they will have everything they need to succeed...He's talked about changing the culture of losing on many occasions, and he knows damned well that means the entire franchise from top to bottom...So if these reports are true he's painted himself into one heck of a corner now...And if he truly has the power he says he has to run this organization we should expect some big changes in the front office hierarchy very soon...Otherwise he's going to come across as a snake-oil salesman to a lot of Bills fans who are already uncomfortable with his rise to the top...If these "lifers" remain in power just about any Bills fan who has followed this team over these many years will simply assume he's still just Ralph's mouthpiece...And nothing more... B-)

Well said..

My guess is at least one of the primary sources is in the scouting dept - 'Scouts and Coaches' is mentioned twice in the article, and they are at the scouting combine after all..

Which stands to reason it was not Marrone and Whaley themselves, but guys who work for them, and likely quite accurate.

Whaley's past is interesting considering he came from a team that always used cash to cap accounting and never had any problems saying good-bye to good, home-grown talent if they thought the price was too high for the position.

GO BILLS!!!

My view is that you do not going crying to TG if you do not happen to get your way. Again, Bud Carpenter is NOT the reason why the Bills have not made the playoffs. By going to the press (if any of this is true), they look like cry babies who cannot fight their own battles.

I would have preferred that they resolve whatever issues in house. If Marrone or whoever is not happy and cannot live with the result, they have the option of quitting.

Well...It's not just Carpenter they're after...And I get the feeling that they have talked about the big things (Littmann, Overdorf, Berchtold) and got met with less-than-favorable answers...That's frustrating enough when you are in charge and ultimately responsible for the on-the-field results...Then when they wanted to change out something that was much less significant like the training staff, and were met with the same push-back, they decided enough was enough...That's just my guess... B-)

time for Littmann, Overdorf, and Berchtold to go. Give them some sort of severance package and get some people in here who know what it takes to win. This is like the Pirates: Bob Nutting is a cheapskate and snake oil salesman, but GM Huntington unfairly takes all the blame from the fans.

While of course he isn't the only reason I can think of a multiple year stretch where the BIlls were placing 10+ guys on IR. This speaks directly to the failures of a training staff. Marrone and Whaley to a certain extent have been put in control. They also are the ones who will receive the blame if things don't get better. Their options should be more than deal with it or quit. More than likely that kind of ideology from management leads to the loss of a lot of good/talented people.

Well said..

Which stands to reason it was not Marrone and Whaley themselves, but guys who work for them, and likely quite accurate.

I am the farthest thing from a Brandon fan and have posted many times my reasons why. I will say this, this is an opportunity for Brandon to shut me and others up. He can put his actions where his mouth has been and usher in a new way of doing things at OBD and create a culture of winning. Fire Littman and Overdorf (or strip them of their football decisions and let them be what they should be, execution of the strategy not creation). Give Marrone the power to hire new training staff if he wants it. I doubt he does either of these, because, as I said at outset, I don't have much faith in the man. As for his defenders, I'll ask again, what 3 three things has he done in his 10+ years with the Bills to improve the results on the field ??

Precisely how I feel.

For the last decade or so, the Littman/Overdorf message board whispers have been precisely that. Now it's right the !@#$ out there, in everyone's faces, for better or for worse.

The Bills had no obligation to address the rumors before, they're compelled to now. Doesn't mean they will, of course. I honestly believe the only thing that WILL lead to some sort of meaningful action, is the media's treatment of this.

The FO isn't stupid. When it comes to damage control, if you survive the first 24 hours, you're pretty much in the clear. If the media (TG, the D&C, et al) pick this up and continue to pursue it, then Russ has a bona fide quagmire on his hands.

I am the farthest thing from a Brandon fan and have posted many times my reasons why. I will say this, this is an opportunity for Brandon to shut me and others up. He can put his actions where his mouth has been and usher in a new way of doing things at OBD and create a culture of winning. Fire Littman and Overdorf (or strip them of their football decisions and let them be what they should be, execution of the strategy not creation). Give Marrone the power to hire new training staff if he wants it. I doubt he does either of these, because, as I said at outset, I don't have much faith in the man. As for his defenders, I'll ask again, what 3 three things has he done in his 10+ years with the Bills to improve the results on the field ??

I gave you more than 3 success stories from the past decade already.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/166013-bills-coaches-want-to-move-on-from-training-staff-fo-dysfunction/page__st__160#entry3064908

Ralph has Littman and Overdorf in charge to ensure maximum net income. Brandon can't change that.

But that's the exact problem for Russ now...He said he could change anything he wanted to and the buck stopped with him...So if we are to believe Russ, and I am inclined to do so at this time, he can change anything he wants to...He may have to push Ralph more than he's comfortable with...But that's part of the job... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

They've tried conventional means and it didn't work. And who cares? The truth has come to light and it paints the top of the franchise as interested in profiting at the cost of on-field results. The OBD oligarchy is making decisions that are, in the opinion of veteran coaches, making it impossible to compete. And that's what I care about. The coaching staff knows what they're doing and it being unprecedented, indicates the desperation of the situation.

Whaley's past is interesting considering he came from a team that always used cash to cap accounting and never had any problems saying good-bye to good, home-grown talent if they thought the price was too high for the position.

Let's not conflate the argument. Pittsburgh has, over the past 10 years, drafted exceptionally and re-signed certain premium players while allowing others to hit UFA. Two SB wins indicate they're adept at managing personnel. Just off the top of my head they've re-signed guys like Roethlisberger, Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, Polamalu to large contracts, i.e. 30M or more deals.

Precisely how I feel.

For the last decade or so, the Littman/Overdorf message board whispers have been precisely that. Now it's right the !@#$ out there, in everyone's faces, for better or for worse.

The Bills had no obligation to address the rumors before, they're compelled to now. Doesn't mean they will, of course. I honestly believe the only thing that WILL lead to some sort of meaningful action, is the media's treatment of this.

The FO isn't stupid. When it comes to damage control, if you survive the first 24 hours, you're pretty much in the clear. If the media (TG, the D&C, et al) pick this up and continue to pursue it, then Russ has a bona fide quagmire on his hands.

I gave you more than 3 success stories from the past decade already.

http://forums.twobil...60#entry3064908

Nice list, but isn't success on-field measured in wins ?