Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would have to be Cleveland's choice and his prospects are probably better holding off and having another good year with the Bill's D and seeing what offers are out there. You gotta figure that Cleveland job will still be there next season.

I mean, Leslie Frazier turned down a HC job because he wasn't the first choice.

I would bet that Buffalo woul promote Donny Henderson to DC quickly to keep him from leaving.

That's what I'm hoping. If Pettine signs as a HC anywhere, I'd bet Henderson follows. I was hoping Pettine would slip through the cracks and coach one more year. Not much mention of him before Cleveland, I was excited, but I knew it was too good to be true. I hate to say it, but I'd rather fire Marrone and hire Pettine as our HC rather than lose Pettine. I think he's that good.

Pray he stays one more year.

I know I am, panicking that is....

This was also just reported on NFL network

Word is that now the Browns can take their time finding a new HC and the first choice is the Broncos OC Adam Gase

I hate to say it, but I'd rather fire Marrone and hire Pettine as our HC rather than lose Pettine. I think he's that good.

Pray he stays one more year.

Me too

Somebody should start a poll on Yes/No - Promote Pettine to head coach

I would vote yes.

I would vote no. Marrone has found more than capable defensive coordinators in both his head coaching stints. I believe he could do it again.

... trying to convince myself there's no need to panic.

It'll be hard to go 6-10 without him.

Seriously, I know he showed how to apply pressure, but was it at the expense of the run defense? I didn't think our defense was THAT great. I'm open to discussion, but I'm not seeking a ledge at the thought of Pettine leaving.

Edited by JPS

Pettine is doing what's right for his career. I would be surprised if he gets the gig though. I live about an hour away from Cleveland and the rumor is that the Browns want someone with at least some HC experience at the NFL level. That being said, it seems like owners are going with a youth movement when it comes to the HC position, so I suppose he's just as much of a viable candidate as any of the other coordinators that they've talked to.

Anybody who's thinking of taking the Browns job has to have some second thoughts about Haslam though. Letting Chud go after one season made no sense at all. Some people in the area are thinking that Haslam is the second coming of Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones.......completely unwilling to give up control and let the football people make the decisions.

Marrone will probably hire Crossmans brother in law because they use to hang out in college . He won't take into consideration that his record SUCKED but at least he'll have another homey to bro around with ...

If Pettine goes they need to fire the rest of the bunch of the coaches because Pettine was the only saving grace of the hire !! If the defense would have done as well as the offense, O line , or Special Teams we would have been the team that was 2 - 14 .

Marrone hit the lotto by hiring Pettine the rest of the league sees it & are now trying to take the best thing that Marrone has shown any one in his first year as a NFL HC which was his D coordinator !!!

It's still more probably that Cleveland goes with Adam Gase (DEN OC) or Dan Quinn (SEA DC), but I'm still worried we lose Pettine earlier than expected. I figured he wouldn't be here super long, but 1 year would be a huge disappointment.

I think Cleveland has their #1 choice in a final four playoff team and is simply killing time here.

As many said, he'd get a mention this year but not serious consideration til next - this feels like that.

Just giving the guy an interview gives Pettine viability, and plants the seed for other teams to think about him

Come here Rex, come a great chance to show up your bro!

His Brother is available i hear. That might be fun ! seriously

Wow, that's a shocker. I believe he would be the 1st Bills assistant to be hired away by another team as HC since Marchibroda, Hate to see him go, but good luck if he leaves.

Well said. He deserves the offering.

I dont think he is ready or will take or the offer But its a compliment to him for sure . Kudos Mike P !

Now show me you can fix the run defense .

I know I am, panicking that is....

This was also just reported on NFL network

Word is that now the Browns can take their time finding a new HC and the first choice is the Broncos OC Adam Gase

Me too

i will take stand upon the Other side for now. I am not googly eyed over him. at all.

Did he fix A Williams Did he fix L McKelvin.

he did create one hell of a pass rush though , and also create pressure from thin air ( respect) too.

Damn nice work Mike !

Edited by 3rdand12

Just giving the guy an interview gives Pettine viability, and plants the seed for other teams to think about him

He wasn't a secret before - he was (and is still) in that second tier of guys that aren't likely hired for another year or two but are likely to get a shot soon unless something surprising happens. Maybe Cleveland surprises and pulls the trigger but the jobs been open 2.5 weeks and he's been available to interview for 2.5 weeks. The common guess would be that they are waiting for someone and just doing their due diligence in the meantime just in case.

Edited by NoSaint

Interesting . . . . most people would tell guys to JUMP if they have a shot at one of only 32 HC jobs in NFL --- however, this one has turned off almost every person that has interviewed for it ---- one would think Pettine would be able to land a better situation if he waited a year, but, a bird in hand . . . . my bet is he gets offer and takes it ---- will be devastating to Bills as he was the best Marrone hire

Interesting . . . . most people would tell guys to JUMP if they have a shot at one of only 32 HC jobs in NFL --- however, this one has turned off almost every person that has interviewed for it ---- one would think Pettine would be able to land a better situation if he waited a year, but, a bird in hand . . . . my bet is he gets offer and takes it ---- will be devastating to Bills as he was the best Marrone hire

What makes you say he gets an offer yet alone takes whatever that offer is?