Bills plan for Tuel as week 1 starter

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The jokes are piling in on Tuel being named the starter (as of now) for week one on the national shows. But at least we aren't the Jets, who actually won their PS game this weekend but you would never know because the media only makes fun of their coach and QBs. It is getting ridiculous how much negative attention that team gets. At least ours is an injury situation, not our own doing. So far, I really like Coach Marrone has handled everything with the media.

TCU cornerback Jason Verrett

Can he return kicks?

I listened to Marrone's presser and it seemed to me he was just saying that they have to prepare with Tuel as #1 because EJ can't practice yet and the other 2 guys just got there. I would be surprised if EJ doesn't end up starting against NE.

Haven't had time to read an etire article, only hightlihgts....doesn't Marrone say that they are preparing to start Tuel in week 1? That is slightly different than saying Tuel is going to be the starter on week 1. Tuel is the #1 guy, right now, week 4 of preseason, but that could change next week, if EJ is ready.

This is exactly what I heard... he is the only one that can practice right now so.... he is the one! I am sure that will change.

What a nightmare, we are starting a QB who could not even manage one first down against back up players in Washington. third down and 7 he throws a 5 yard pass, third down and 9 he throws a 6 yard pass. Final score will be 51-3. first loss in a 2-14 season.

Edited by bisonbrigade

I am a life long Bills fan (since the early 60s). This is the worst QB situation to start a season. There is no dashed Super Bowl hopes/ I just wanted to have a decent season. Starting with a loss to our biggest foes. ARGH!!!!

I don't know what the big suspense is. Whoever practices as the #1 QB the week leading up to the Pats game will start. If Manuel is back and 100% I'm sure that this will be him. Otherwise it'll be Tuel (although there will probably still be posters who think it's a ruse and that Manuel will walk out of the tunnel instead).

The best thing about Manuel - and he has a lot of good qualities as a QB - is that his head does not get "screwed up".

Don't ever worry about that kid's psyche. Worry about the consistency of his throwing mechanics if you want - but he won't fold.

He went back and forth from the bench to the field repeatedly at FSU - first backing up Ponder, then watching the next guy (his name ecapes me, but he was an FSU coach's son) and Manuel was cheering and leading no matter where he was.

Sorry, this is wrong. Manuel came in for relief of Ponder (when Ponder was hurt) during his first 2 seasons. In his final 2 years, when he was the unquestioned starter, the only game he missed was the Clemson game in 2011. He got hurt against oklahoma, so Clint Trickett started the next game, Clemson. Trickett also started the Wake game the week after, but played so poorly they put an injured EJ in the game at half time. The Wake game was the last time someone other than EJ started.

Edited by Ramius

Go get em', Tuel!

I'm sure its happened before, anyone know the last time a UDFA rookie QB started Week One?

From CBS and Grantland:

No quarterback since the NFL-AFL merger has gone straight from the undrafted free agent ranks to starting as the team quarterback in Week 1.

But there is this:

In 1970, rookie UFA Don Gault started for the Browns in Week 3 and went 1-for-16 for 44 yards with 2 picks. And beat Terry Bradshaw, 15-7. :lol:

Tuel will not be playing week 1, or at least not starting. They only said Tuel by default because at this exact time he is the only healthy QB on the roster who knows the offense. EJ is more than likely going to be physically ready and he will start. He has been at all the meetings, game planning, etc. He will start on field work the week before the game and be ready for week 1.

Plus, there is NO VALUE in tipping your hand to the Pats with a brilliant coach like BB. So, of course they are going to say Tuel even if they are pretty certain EJ will be ready.

Feel like there is way more stock being put into Tuel playing week 1 then there should be. Only way that happens at this point is if EJ has a setback, but given how minor it was and the short time table for a return, I would say that is doubtful and that he will more than likely be ready week 1. In fact, I am not even worried about it.

What has Tuel done to make you think he's a good QB? My eyes say he looks like an average High School QB

I went to one college game last year, Washington St at Oregon St in Corvalis. After the first quarter I looked at who I was with and said "that

Washington St QB sucks". Now he starts for the Bills oh joy

Tuel will not be playing week 1, or at least not starting. They only said Tuel by default because at this exact time he is the only healthy QB on the roster who knows the offense. EJ is more than likely going to be physically ready and he will start. He has been at all the meetings, game planning, etc. He will start on field work the week before the game and be ready for week 1.

Plus, there is NO VALUE in tipping your hand to the Pats with a brilliant coach like BB. So, of course they are going to say Tuel even if they are pretty certain EJ will be ready.

Feel like there is way more stock being put into Tuel playing week 1 then there should be. Only way that happens at this point is if EJ has a setback, but given how minor it was and the short time table for a return, I would say that is doubtful and that he will more than likely be ready week 1. In fact, I am not even worried about it.

I agree with everything here.

Just worried that because he was cut into, however minor, that he might not be ready to play from a physical standpoint. All evidence points to him being good to go, just my natural Bills reservations telling me otherwise.

I went to one college game last year, Washington St at Oregon St in Corvalis. After the first quarter I looked at who I was with and said "that

Washington St QB sucks". Now he starts for the Bills oh joy

Funny story. So i take it it wasn't one of the four games he won in his career?

Leach commentary on Sirius:

First of all, size/strength he is solid and has quick feet. Strong arm. Accurate. The one thing with Jeff Tuel, never really got in a rhythm between injuries and moving around/new coaches. If he can get in one in Buffalo curious to see how it can turn out. Has quite a bit of

Cont: Does he still have quite a bit of upside? Leach- No question. He has a lot of upside. If you add up how many college games he has played it doesn't come out to that many. Spent a lot of them running for his life including last year. Set situation where things are consistent I think he can really blossom. Think upside is higher than other people brought in.

I can't believe I'm going to drive 8 hours to see that game.

It's like driving 8 hours to have someone kick me in the nuts for 3 hours.

It couldn't be helped, but this is completely deflating

Ha ha...I was thinking about flying up from New Orleans and I am having 2nd thoughts. My thought was that I wanted to be there as the corner turned. Now I am thinking should I spend the money for Jeff Tuel vs. the Pats.

Sorry, this is wrong. Manuel came in for relief of Ponder (when Ponder was hurt) during his first 2 seasons. In his final 2 years, when he was the unquestioned starter, the only game he missed was the Clemson game in 2011. He got hurt against oklahoma, so Clint Trickett started the next game, Clemson. Trickett also started the Wake game the week after, but played so poorly they put an injured EJ in the game at half time. The Wake game was the last time someone other than EJ started.

You are correct.

I had heard EJ had some durability issues in college. i went and checked it out. And he only missed one game.

Tried to read through every post and did not see this thought- Is Marrone trying to Belichick, Belichick? I mean Brady is always on the injury report. Could it be that Marrone is already trying to start a rivalry back up with BB and the Patsies? I got to believe that EJ starts week one no matter what. I mean unless the knee swells back up while doing non contact drills.

Here is my uneducated opinion. again.

Tuel is the most qualified QB we have if Kolb nor Manuel can go.

But more important . It has been said again and again and once more for emphasis. We expect every player to be prepared to start. And that actually has shown with Tuel. No great shakes but he had to drive a rather long way to even play the 3rd preseason game. I mean a udfa all of a sudden being asked to run with the ones against a big ass nasty Washington team with seriously smart mofo in Shanahan.

The kid did alright. as he has all along. I dont know what his ceiling is or how long it will take to reach it. But i would be delighted to have him open up against the Pats . delighted indeed. Until manuel was healthy.

positivity is not always about blind eyes. This could be great fun. Spliiler and Jackson will take care of him.

Did anyone see Fred get Jeffs attention when he saw a blitz coming and Jeff adjusted the play call. Then Jackson who is too old and slow destroyed the blitzer ? stood him up and knocked him down. the one play i delighted in saturday

Ha ha...I was thinking about flying up from New Orleans and I am having 2nd thoughts. My thought was that I wanted to be there as the corner turned. Now I am thinking should I spend the money for Jeff Tuel vs. the Pats.

Heel yes ! recall the houston game and everyone left. i stayed. worth every penny and then some.

any given Sunday brother, especially the first game. Pull your nuts up and get after it sir ! : )

Edited by 3rdand12

The kid did alright? He didn't get a single first down in the 2nd half(against 2nd and 3rd stringers mind you) and you call that alright? Anyone "delighted" that Tuel is starting opening day is delusional.

The fact that he acknowledged a blitz was coming is something we should be impressed with? Is that what being a Bills fan has come to? Jesus. Uneducated opinion is right.

I'd like to go back and look at Tuel's drives. I know I recall some interior lineman (Caldwell? Snow?) basically getting abused every play, allowing a defender to get to Tuel in like 2 seconds. I also recall a garbage offensive PI call on TJ Graham, a bomb that I thought Goodwin should have caught, and a drive-killing fumble by Stevie.

Tuel running with the 1's, and having his skill players play well-- I think you might see a much different result.

The kid did alright? He didn't get a single first down in the 2nd half(against 2nd and 3rd stringers mind you) and you call that alright? Anyone "delighted" that Tuel is starting opening day is delusional.

The fact that he acknowledged a blitz was coming is something we should be impressed with? Is that what being a Bills fan has come to? Jesus. Uneducated opinion is right.

ah consider Where tuel has come from he has a long ladder to climb. I did not say impressed nor delighted. i said he did ALRIGHT. I also said i would be delighted to have him start against Pats.

I dont like to argue. How many INTS has Tuel thrown preseason how many fumbles. how many plays did he look confused ?

you have been watching right ?

i just get a kick out of a udfa having some good luck with a barely sorted offense.

Again bcause i am getting riled , Johnson and Graham started their 1st preseason game saturday. and have not practiced with Jeff hardly at all showed with Kolb too no timinig.

Context brother .

But if ya wanna B word have at it

evening all

What has Tuel done to make you think he's a good QB? My eyes say he looks like an average High School QB

He has the best completion record of any of the Bills starters gets rid of the ball quickly and makes good decisions, The two times I have seen him practice he looked sharper that the other two quarterbacks. I think he would have been named the starter over Kolb even if Kolb would not have gotten hurt. The sack that Kolb took as the more experienced quarterback against the Redskins showed he is not a NFL Starter. Offense went very vanilla after the Kolb injury. Tuel or Manual it is a rookie QB starting why not Tuel? Has had more playing time.

If Tuel beats Pats he deserves the cover of SI. That would be the story of week 1.

Best QUOTE of all the page he would absolutley deserve that cover and while ewe at it get him the Madden 2015 cover... He will be a Buffalo Legend if he beats Brady and NE first game.. I don't see it but if he wins I wanna be him all that week...

Zorn wasn't a rookie when he started for the Seahawks. He spent the previous year with the Cowboys at least in TC.

If memory serves me right he was part of the Tony Dorsett trade. When Zorn was rookie the Cowboys had Jim Zorn and Steve DeBerg in camp. I believe you are right that Zorn won out and was traded to Seattle the next year.

I interpret Marrone's statement as this...

Kolb, Leinart, Thad... will not be the starters. The job is EJ's with Tuel backing him up. EJ is currently injured and not fully practicing; therefore, until he gets back out there and is full go, Tuel is the starter. The other 3 guys are 3rd stringers (2 will almost certainly be cut).

I interpret Marrone's statement as this...

Kolb, Leinart, Thad... will not be the starters. The job is EJ's with Tuel backing him up. EJ is currently injured and not fully practicing; therefore, until he gets back out there and is full go, Tuel is the starter. The other 3 guys are 3rd stringers (2 will almost certainly be cut).

So, it's no longer a competition? What if Tuel Time lays another egg on Thursday, yet BIG BAD THAD or Lienert plays well and shows a command of the offense and shows leadership and fires up the guys? You still gonna with Tuel Time because of some loyalty thing? Doesn't sound like the Coach Marrone I know. You gotta earn it.

Edited by reddogblitz

What a nightmare, we are starting a QB who could not even manage one first down against back up players in Washington. third down and 7 he throws a 5 yard pass, third down and 9 he throws a 6 yard pass. Final score will be 51-3. first loss in a 2-14 season.

No way, we got the Pats right where we want em, they think we will be a push over and won't be ready for us and we get the upset ... and that's why they play the game!!!!!! Go Bills !!!

I actually read through all 10 pages of this topic and have concluded the following: Belicheat could give a flying fart less who the Bills' QB is gonna be in week 1. His game plan will be to shut down CJ and pressure the rookie QB, whomever it may be. Brady will be Brady and will probably hang about 42 points on us. Our only chance in this game is to win the turnover battle.

I actually read through all 10 pages of this topic and have concluded the following: Belicheat could give a flying fart less who the Bills' QB is gonna be in week 1. His game plan will be to shut down CJ and pressure the rookie QB, whomever it may be. Brady will be Brady and will probably hang about 42 points on us. Our only chance in this game is to win the turnover battle.

Actually, it has been the Patriots Running game that has KILLED us in the recent past than Brady.