Astro-Notes: July 31 Practice

Today I tried to make notes on as many players as I could.

18 Kevin Elliott -- Made the catch of the day but came down wrong. Trainers were looking at his shoulder. He left on a Gator. I think they'd miss him most as a gunner on ST, because he looked among the best at gunner.Gunners on the punt team, in order of success: Kevin Elliott, Silva, Sampson, Brooks, Goodwin-Easley.

8 Jeff Tuel -- has potential but needs to match velocity with the situation. He'd throw a pass without velocity allowing defenders to close on the receiver, then throw a bullet that the WR can't catch. His dump pass went for 40+ yards and was the longest non-TD play of the day.

58 Jamie Blatnick played some with the 1's today (also Carrington, Troup) and got pressure. Another combo was Dareus, Carrington, Branch.

92 Alex Carrington was drawn offsides with the cadence by Kolb.

89 Chris Gragg dropped two easy receptions. You want to like this guy, but...

90 Alan Branch impresses me. He gums up the middle and gets pressure without losing lanes.

4 Kevin Kolb -- The word is unspectacular. Didn't look sharp especially under the blitzing today. He throws the ball to the sideline rather than force it; I guess that's OK.

11 TJ Graham -- Again is showing up Woods. He slipped on one play but had a would-be touchdown.

91 Manny Lawson -- was dogging it. Just saying. He may be one of the smartest players in the NFL, but I disrespect his lack of hustle.

42 Kendall Gaskins -- RB with no chance of making the team, but a likely PS selection. He has size, can catch the ball, and has some burst. EJ threw him a pass in 11 on 11 and Gaskins took it for 15, and another for 10.

99 Dareus was drawn offisdes.

20 Tashard Choice is having a good camp running and receiving, and is likely RB#3 over Gaskins, Zach Brown, or Drew Smith. I'd keep Gaskins or Brown on the PS. Choice needs more work on blitzes Pettine's throwing at them.

10 Woods had a couple more drops, and it's in his head. Some nice catches of 2 poorly-thrown balls by Kolb, though. He's playing on the right outside of the formation with Stevie in the slot most of the time, with Graham on the left. He's also with Graham and McKelvin catching punts.

84 Chandler sat out the practice with a black elastic sleeve on his left calf.

14 Kaufman had another 2 drops. He's tall, but the drops in traffic might come back to bite him.

44 TJ Heath had an awful day at DB. Slipped, tripped, allowed a Brad Smith TD.

24 Gilmore had a INT again and plays Stevie extremely well. I think you're looking at one of the best CBs in the NFL there. He's playing at a higher level.

37 Nickell Robey had another INT, plus a sack on EJ on a blitz. He's tiny (165 lb) but he has radar. I think he's still in the running for nickel or dime.

17 Da'Rick Rogers had the only catch vs Gilmore today to my knowledge.

81 Marcus Easley Made a terrific acrobatic sideline catch, both feet in, on a pinpoint pass from Tuel.

75 Chris Hairston walks gingerly along the sidelines. It's killing him to be there and not in at RT.

50 Kiko Alonso is working on quick reaction

38 Frank Summers the FB can catch pretty well. He's a bowling ball at 5-9, 248.

25 Searcy got flagged for pass interference. It wasn't flagrant, but they have officials there to call it.

62 Zack Chibane OG hustled down to make a block on a swing pass to B Smith from Tuel. Got to give him props.

15 Chris Hogan comes back to the ball, makes catches, was PS last year. Think he stays there. Hogan's hands are glue. He caught a Kolb sideline pass that was low and away with just his fingers.

-----

Edited by Astrobot

Concerned about Chandler.

Psyched about Gilmore and Rogers.

Happy about Choice. I've always liked that signing and glad he's here.

Thanks again for doing this, Astro.

Awesome stuff, thanks again Astro. But nothing about EJ?

Chandler had a scheduled day off today. I'm more concerned about Elliott...sounds like he was having a great camp to this point. (But not that concerned.)

Great post, very informative. I like Gragg too but I think we struck gold in Darick. If Gilmore is shutting down Stevie and Darick manages to sneak by him he is showing up. Too early to know for sure but if he stays healthy and clean I think he starts game 1. May even outshine Woods.

Few things.

Surprised nothing on EJ.

Not too worried about Chandler as maybe he's just sore. Maybe it's planned. We don't know.

I'm not too worried about Lawson either. After reading the article about him being a father, I feel like this guy will play lights out as many people over the years have had a sense of inportance after the birth of their child. I feel like he is out to prove it. Maybe it's not showing now, but he's a vet in camp, lets wait until pre season starts to find out.

I'm wondering most about Hairston. He's on the PUP lost right? What was his injury again? What's the general length of time a player with such injury is out? And most importantly, can we remove him from the PUP list at any time to start practicing and playing again? If not, is there a time we can? Can it be done before the start of the season? During? Or do we have to wait until the end?

Anyone?

Nice summary Astro. Any observations of #3??

According to my in house reporters, EJ looked good and Kolb looked pretty good as well.

EJ tucked it in and ran once where Kolb was more likely to throw it away than run.

Kolb was getting the crap blitzed out of him as well whereas they seemed to be letting EJ take his time and make the play rather than scramble.

Lucky Kolb gets to be in while the D works on it's blitz packages ;)

Few things.

Surprised nothing on EJ.

Not too worried about Chandler as maybe he's just sore. Maybe it's planned. We don't know.

I'm not too worried about Lawson either. After reading the article about him being a father, I feel like this guy will play lights out as many people over the years have had a sense of inportance after the birth of their child. I feel like he is out to prove it. Maybe it's not showing now, but he's a vet in camp, lets wait until pre season starts to find out.

I'm wondering most about Hairston. He's on the PUP lost right? What was his injury again? What's the general length of time a player with such injury is out? And most importantly, can we remove him from the PUP list at any time to start practicing and playing again? If not, is there a time we can? Can it be done before the start of the season? During? Or do we have to wait until the end?

Anyone?

Mostly agreed with everything you've offered.

My thoughts below:

58 Jamie Blatnick played some with the 1's today (also Carrington, Troup) and got pressure. Another combo was Dareus, Carrington, Branch.

90 Alan Branch impresses me. He gums up the middle and gets pressure without losing lanes.

It sounds like we'll have a 4-6 man rotation on the d-line, which is GREAT. Lots of fresh bodies, no "one" role for any of these guys. My only concern is having guys get stuck on the field if our opponent (Pats*) goes to the hurry up and they get gassed.

4 Kevin Kolb -- The word is unspectacular. Didn't look sharp especially under the blitzing today. He throws the ball to the sideline rather than force it; I guess that's OK.

File this under "not surprising." I have been underwhelmed with Kolb from the word 'go.' The day we signed him, I watched all of his 2012 throws on NFL Game Rewind. We need this guy. As our backup.

11 TJ Graham -- Again is showing up Woods. He slipped on one play but had a would-be touchdown.

17 Da'Rick Rogers had the only catch vs Gilmore today to my knowledge.

81 Marcus Easley Made a terrific acrobatic sideline catch, both feet in, on a pinpoint pass from Tuel.

10 Woods had a couple more drops, and it's in his head. Some nice catches of 2 poorly-thrown balls by Kolb, though. He's playing on the right outside of the formation with Stevie in the slot most of the time, with Graham on the left. He's also with Graham and McKelvin catching punts.

15 Chris Hogan comes back to the ball, makes catches, was PS last year. Think he stays there. Hogan's hands are glue. He caught a Kolb sideline pass that was low and away with just his fingers.

HOLY **** BALLS this is becoming a crowded field. From weakness to cumbersome strength in one off season? May be.

We've got two players with attitude: Graham and Rogers, we've got a physical specimen in Easley, we've got the guy with all the tools in Woods and everyone seems impressed by this Hogan character. I'm really really hoping a cream rises to the top (or in this case outside) and Stevie's left in the slot to do "his" thing. Wow. Just keeping my fingers crossed with this bunch.

84 Chandler sat out the practice with a black elastic sleeve on his left calf.

Not worried about it. He's a vet, he's coming off injury, he should take it slow. If he's healthy he'll play well. We need him, in spite of the WR crowd.

24 Gilmore had a INT again and plays Stevie extremely well. I think you're looking at one of the best CBs in the NFL there. He's playing at a higher level.

I'm hoping Pettine designs the defense around this recurring observation because it's sounding more and more like he's (without question) the best player on that side of the ball.

37 Nickell Robey had another INT, plus a sack on EJ on a blitz. He's tiny (165 lb) but he has radar. I think he's still in the running for nickel or dime.

The more I hear about this guy, the more he strikes me as Jabari Greer 2.0. Here's hoping.

75 Chris Hairston walks gingerly along the sidelines. It's killing him to be there and not in at RT.

I'm not sure Hairston would be a terrible loss. We have a swarm of solid players without a stud. If we lose anything, we lose depth.

Thanks a bunch Astro.

The WR's will be fun to watch this preseason. Interesting to hear that Woods has a case of the drops happening, but I think he can overcome that. Who gets left out of this bunch?

Tomorrow is going to suck with no practice scheduled.

The more I hear about this guy, the more he strikes me as Jabari Greer 2.0. Here's hoping.

Actually, based on his size, I'd say he's more like Jabari Greer 0.5.

According to my in house reporters, EJ looked good and Kolb looked pretty good as well.

EJ tucked it in and ran once where Kolb was more likely to throw it away than run.

Kolb was getting the crap blitzed out of him as well whereas they seemed to be letting EJ take his time and make the play rather than scramble.

Lucky Kolb gets to be in while the D works on it's blitz packages ;)

I love it. Reporting on the Bills from camp sure beats the hell out of those chores around the house. Tell 'em to keep them coming. Their perspective is highly appreciated here.

GO BILLS!!!

I went today as well.

Just a couple things real quick

• Woods dropped a couple of easy balls that absolutely shouldnt of been dropped, he is also much smaller then I thought in person but he also made a few plays.
  • Manuel looked decent, they started throwing the house at him today and it is actually incredible watching Pettines defense because it is just all attack all the time.
  • Gilmore is a stud, this isnt just Bills fan bias when you watch him you know you are watching one of the best players at his position bar none, and he was still working on his hands after practice.
  • Dareus got all one reps today so that thing early in the week with everyone flipping out was because he was sick.
  • I was in the VIP tent after practice with just 4 of my friends and Kiko stopped by and talked to us for about 15 minutes, he is absolutely hilarious and was actually really a cool guy. Talked about his High-school and how trent was there and he just looked absolutely exhausted but hes a worker. In his words he just said "play, film, eat, sleep"

My 2 cents.

I went today as well.

• Woods dropped a couple of easy balls that absolutely shouldnt of been dropped, he is also much smaller then I thought in person but he also made a few plays.
  • Manuel looked decent, they started throwing the house at him today and it is actually incredible watching Pettines defense because it is just all attack all the time.
  • Gilmore is a stud, this isnt just Bills fan bias when you watch him you know you are watching one of the best players at his position bar none, and he was still working on his hands after practice.
  • Dareus got all one reps today so that thing early in the week with everyone flipping out was because he was sick.
  • I was in the VIP tent after practice with just 4 of my friends and Kiko stopped by and talked to us for about 15 minutes, he is absolutely hilarious and was actually really a cool guy. Talked about his High-school and how trent was there and he just looked absolutely exhausted but hes a worker. In his words he just said "play, film, eat, sleep"

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the addition.

When you say Pettine's defense is all attack, all the time ... how did the backfield do with downfield coverage during those attacks?

We should ask him 5x in a row and see if we get a different answer! Lol.

I particularly would like to know if Elliott had the team's permission to injure himself, as well as the name of who was driving the cart that took him off the field. Was he licensed?

Edited by eball

Thanks for the addition.

When you say Pettine's defense is all attack, all the time ... how did the backfield do with downfield coverage during those attacks?

vague question but I'd like info too

Gilmore island?

The problems against the run has been due largely to two factors: scheme and lack of talent at the LB position. The Bills have had one of the worst LB corps in the NFL for close to a decade. Cripes, remember when Ellison was the leading tackler on the unit? (Shudders).

Houston+Texans+v+Buffalo+Bills+So_ZeFfkRWYm.jpg

Kiko is a player and Bradham is a baaaaaaaaaad baaaaaaaaaad man. I have hopes for Lawson and Hughes but feel that the key will be Pettine's scheme and how he uses the talent that IS on the roster. This D-Line is still one of the most talented lines in the entire league ... on paper ... if Pettine can get more out of that unit than the 'Stache, teams will find some tough sledding between the tackles.

Edited by tgreg99

Awesome addition...keep it up for the rest of us!

I went today as well.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the addition.

They did alright, Choice had a nice pickup when Brooks came from the slot and I believe Freddy had a nice chip also. There was a free man rushing virtually every play which forced the QB to make quick decisions but also left openings.

vague question but I'd like info too

Gilmore island?

Continuing on that, when playing man, Gilmore is so good he is able to take whomever he is covering out of the play which really gives way to make the blitzing work. I have gone to camp for 10 straight years and even Clements (although I was younger) doesn't really hold a candle to him. He is special and he gives 100% every play.

Another thing like people were talking about was just the speed of practice, it was so fast pace with the coaches constantly yelling for them to go faster. There was a drill at the beginning of practice where they lined up at the 25, they would run a play and then every player would spring the 25 yds to the end zone, then they would quickly line up, run another 25 yard play, and everyone would sprint back to the 25. It was really cool.

listening to SIrius they could not get over the speed and how important it was. That even 2nd and 3rd teamers got time in 11-11 drills. They said that most coaches do not use this time properly and they were very happy to see that the guys could go at it to get again and again.

Too often they'd see coaches stop the plays as they happen because someone stepped wrong, or went in the wrong gap. They said that coaching in between plays can take away enough time to run 2 or 3 more plays.

They did alright, Choice had a nice pickup when Brooks came from the slot and I believe Freddy had a nice chip also. There was a free man rushing virtually every play which forced the QB to make quick decisions but also left openings.

Continuing on that, when playing man, Gilmore is so good he is able to take whomever he is covering out of the play which really gives way to make the blitzing work. I have gone to camp for 10 straight years and even Clements (although I was younger) doesn't really hold a candle to him. He is special and he gives 100% every play.

Another thing like people were talking about was just the speed of practice, it was so fast pace with the coaches constantly yelling for them to go faster. There was a drill at the beginning of practice where they lined up at the 25, they would run a play and then every player would spring the 25 yds to the end zone, then they would quickly line up, run another 25 yard play, and everyone would sprint back to the 25. It was really cool.

Thanks for the update! I cringed hearing Jauron say years ago "I wish I had more time" when talking about if the Bills were ready for the regular season. I definitely think that won't be the case with Marrone.

How did Da'Rick Rogers look today? Marrone said he is competing for a roster spot, but do you think he has a legitimate shot at one of the WR spots (2-5)? Thanks!

Thanks for the report Astro!

Great post, very informative. I like Gragg too but I think we struck gold in Darick. If Gilmore is shutting down Stevie and Darick manages to sneak by him he is showing up. Too early to know for sure but if he stays healthy and clean I think he starts game 1. May even outshine Woods.

It's early, of course, but I too am very excited about what Da'Rick Rogers may become.

In pre-draft reports, he was called "a Julio Jones clone".

Check out his interview (at Tennessee Tech, I think) if it is still available in the pre-draft info. He sounded like a respectful young guy, making up for his mistakes. Not a thug or badass at all.

It's early, of course, but I too am very excited about what Da'Rick Rogers may become.

In pre-draft reports, he was called "a Julio Jones clone".

Check out his interview (at Tennessee Tech, I think) if it is still available in the pre-draft info. He sounded like a respectful young guy, making up for his mistakes. Not a thug or badass at all.

His problems really haven't been behavior related as far as I am aware. Just poor decision making and too much puffin the cheeba. I talked to him very briefly at camp and he was very nice, engaging and appreciative of the support.

Edited by FluffHead

What did you see in regards to Brown and Legursky at LG? At the post practice press conference Marrone basically threw both of them under the bus.

Good think they don't have Levitre anymore. :(

Yep, I was going to ask about #74 and Cordy Glenn, both massive guys on that left side. Lost in the DB shuffle is also Ron Brooks, can he become more than a fan favorite?

Again, thanks for the reports.