Mario Williams: Officially a Buffalo Bill

Where is the Players' Union in all of this? Is there no pressure on him to take the the highest dollar amount, even if it's from the Bills? The MLB Players' Union would never allow one of the top FA players to 'leave money on the table'. The player (and agent) would be crucified.

Remember Vick was allegedly going to sign with Buffalo until the league told him to go to Philly.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is like picking up your prom date and she makes you wait 3 days because she's trying to get a better date. It's pretty clear he doesn't want to play here if he hasn't signed by now. What makes it more depressing is that if it falls through it's won't be because of anything the Bills did, but because we just aren't attractive enough, even if we pony up top dollar. Makes you wonder if there's anything we can do to compete for top free agents - if it's not money there aren't a lot of other factors that can quickly change.

I don't think it's that simple.

Prior to the start of free agency, I imagine that DOZENS of teams expressed interest in Mario Williams. I'm sure that we weren't the only scheduled visit for him this week - just the first one. But in the NFL, free agency usually moves pretty quickly. By the time his meeting with Buffalo was over on Tuesday night, many of those teams had probably moved on.

Chicago got Brandon Marshall and dropped out of the bidding. Jacksonville was considering a run at him, but then they re-signed Mincey. Detroit was interested, but franchised Cliff Avril. Other teams were likely "forced" out of the race, simply because of Buffalo's large offer.

The theory about Tennessee and Peyton Manning makes A LOT of sense.

If another team had a legitimate offer on the table for Williams, I'm sure he would be heading out of town to visit with the coaches and see the city (like he did with us).

Instead, he seems to be stalling or waiting for something to happen. The only thing that makes sense, is that he's waiting for the only other top free agent (Manning) to sign, so he can see if another team jumps in the race.

Personally, I don't think Manning will be making his decision anytime soon. And Williams would be foolish to pass on this offer, leave town and take the chance that Buffalo moves on to other free agents. Then if Manning signs with Tennessee, he may be forced to take a much smaller contract.

I have this image of Ralph busting out of a box as it comes off the truck.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Where is the Players' Union in all of this? Is there no pressure on him to take the the highest dollar amount, even if it's from the Bills? The MLB Players' Union would never allow one of the top FA players to 'leave money on the table'. The player (and agent) would be crucified.

That's partly because there's no salary cap in baseball - the total $ amount that goes to the players is the sum total of whatever their agents negotiate. In football, the union basically gets a fixed % of total revenue, so for every extra dollar Mario gets, there's one less dollar available for someone else. I'm simplifying it a bit, but the gist is right.

Good point, or the 5000 posts saying how he is overrated and a chump and how his Fiance has a dog face if he doesn't sign

Funnyest line I heard on TV (Wings) this morning. Mario girlfriend is so beautiful that see reminds one of the workers at WingsTv of Kate Middleton!

Interesting there was a comment under the article that said he stayed at Jim Kellys last night. Can anyone confirm?

"linkage4890

how often do Free Agents have their fiances flown in during contract negotiations in order to get a feel of the area, and then reportedly stay at the house of the legendary quarterback, just to come up and say no? there's something serious going on in his brain about this place"

Coupled with Jill Kellys tweet earlier........I am sounding like one of you stalkers now

If you're the Bills, how do you handle today? Mario shows up this morning and you say "Mario, you've got our best offer. We'd love for you to sign it by the end of today. If you can't do that..."

a) ... we're going to have to pull the offer and move on in our efforts to make our team better.

2) ... it'll still be here for you until you sign with us or someone else.

iii) ... how does another million a year sound? two million? AW COME ON!

Coupled with Jill Kellys tweet earlier........I am sounding like one of you stalkers now

Dude, we sounded like stalkers Tuesday afternoon when we started talking about jet logs. I work with some of the most rabid UNC alumni and fans, who are known to follow the movements of 16 and 17 year old high school recruits. I mentioned the whole chartered jet thing at about 3:00pm Tuesday, and got a look like I had three heads.

So while they're all sympathetic to my plight right now, and understand what's going on, I'm not sharing any more details of how closely this is being watched.

If (BIG if) he stayed at Kelly's last night, he's a Bill. Nobody would put the press on harder than Jimbo, and I'm sure his country estate would give Mario & fiancee a real taste of "country" life in the southtowns.

Or Jimbo killed the deal by putting the full court press on Mario's girl...

If (BIG if) he stayed at Kelly's last night, he's a Bill. Nobody would put the press on harder than Jimbo, and I'm sure his country estate would give Mario & fiancee a real taste of "country" life in the southtowns.

Private hood off of Jewitt Holmwood (Rick James old house near the enterance) 5 acre lots with lots of wild life Turkeys, Deer, etc.

Edited by Hammered a Lot

This thread is not at the top of the board! Williams may not sign here if he logs on and finds his thread is at #2 below the Peyton thread!

Ugh, that's probably what is keeping the deal from getting signed. He's waiting to be moved to #1 thread.

I don't think it's that simple.

Prior to the start of free agency, I imagine that DOZENS of teams expressed interest in Mario Williams. I'm sure that we weren't the only scheduled visit for him this week - just the first one. But in the NFL, free agency usually moves pretty quickly. By the time his meeting with Buffalo was over on Tuesday night, many of those teams had probably moved on.

Chicago got Brandon Marshall and dropped out of the bidding. Jacksonville was considering a run at him, but then they re-signed Mincey. Detroit was interested, but franchised Cliff Avril. Other teams were likely "forced" out of the race, simply because of Buffalo's large offer.

The theory about Tennessee and Peyton Manning makes A LOT of sense.

If another team had a legitimate offer on the table for Williams, I'm sure he would be heading out of town to visit with the coaches and see the city (like he did with us).

Instead, he seems to be stalling or waiting for something to happen. The only thing that makes sense, is that he's waiting for the only other top free agent (Manning) to sign, so he can see if another team jumps in the race.

Personally, I don't think Manning will be making his decision anytime soon. And Williams would be foolish to pass on this offer, leave town and take the chance that Buffalo moves on to other free agents. Then if Manning signs with Tennessee, he may be forced to take a much smaller contract.

Dozens? With not even 3 dozen teams in the NFL?

Interesting there was a comment under the article that said he stayed at Jim Kellys last night. Can anyone confirm?

"linkage4890

how often do Free Agents have their fiances flown in during contract negotiations in order to get a feel of the area, and then reportedly stay at the house of the legendary quarterback, just to come up and say no? there's something serious going on in his brain about this place"

Saw that too.... Sort of figured Jimbo would be involved in recruiting Mario.

Here's hoping that Mario hasn't checked Twitter or found this thread.

We're such stalkers it's getting borderline creepy.

We crossed the border long ago. wgr is cracking me up today. "If you leave me now, you'll take away the biggest part of me."

Yellow cargo truck just pulled in to OBD. I have never seen this truck enter OBD before. Could it be filled with M.Williams jerseys?

Yes, but they're Mike Williams #68 jerseys being returned unsold.