Do you honestly care about sports?

Last week was rough. Endless Penn state, NBA lockout. I just want NFL, [heavy on the Bills, but like chat on other teams]. Question I guess is would you realy care [i mean CARE] about sports if not for the NFL and the Bills?

Yes an no. I care about MMA, Strength sports, Sabres and college football + wrestling every thing else is whatever. Honestly could care less about the NBA Lockout.

love sports...huge syracuse sports fan, huge yankee fan...love watching the nba when they aren't locked out..could do without the nhl, i love watching golf, so yeah..i am a sports fan...

Last week was rough. Endless Penn state, NBA lockout. I just want NFL, [heavy on the Bills, but like chat on other teams]. Question I guess is would you realy care [i mean CARE] about sports if not for the NFL and the Bills?

I like bills and NFL football. I like basketball when Knicks are competitive, which has been rare. I like world series when Yankees are in it. I like golf when tiger woods is competitive (uncommon lately). I like some olympic events, summer and winter. Ilke boxing when theres matchup that interests me, again very rare.

That's about it

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

lockout in 1998-1999 ruined basketball forever for me.

i went from thinking of those guys (specifically the knicks with starks, ewing and oakley) on the same level as the 90s bills, to not caring at all.

this current lockout is completely meaningless to me. it would be more exciting to see them cancel the season and watch the legal proceedings than to watch an nba basketball game.

playoff hockey is fun if buffalo is in, but then i start to feel like a bandwagon fan because i don't know any of the players and i only started watching in april.

baseball is the most godawful thing on this planet, completely boring and since hitting my 20s i've probably only watched an hour total.

golf was incredible when tiger was on top. id always watch a tournament on sunday if he was in contention.

meeting my *now* wife and getting married changed my sports viewing habits. i watch every bills game without question, but i don't even care about what happens in the nfc anymore. and i barely watch the playoffs til the conference championship. even then i just have it on in the background.

really, i don't even consider watching the bills a sport, it's a lifestyle.

Football(Bills, Giants) Hockey(Sabres, Rangers when they are decent) Stopped watching basketball when Larry Byrd retired and then only the playoffs. Would rather play the game than watch it. I play and watch golf, follow all majors from 1st round to the last. Baseball is another I'd rather play than watch Yank's being my choice...

If the NBA never had another game it wouldn't bother me.

+1. I want the NBA to die quickly so I don't have to see it in passing. It's been so nice so far to not have to watch news replays revolving around this bunch of hoop-grabbing thugs. Basketball changed irrevocably when they refused to raise the rim. Guys don't have to be good shooters now.

For MLB (Red Sox) and the NHL (Sabres) I assert the notion that I am a fan of these teams. But w/o cable and enough time in the day, I just rarely get to watch the games. And with one-hundred-sixty-something and 80-something games, respectively, missing each game doesn't mean so much like it is to miss a football game. So, I'm a fan, but I'm a fan by proxy --- browsing the ticker the next morning.

I am a fan of the tennis major events, especially as they broadcast Wimbledon and US Open during the week. I hate the rare scoring, the jumble of teams/conferences and the low meaning of league soccer matches. It seems like there's 60 'X Cup' matches a year; it's like every team wins a championship for participation. The $ politics of FIFA and the state of officiating leave me with the impression that it's all fixed. But when World Cup rolls around, I watch the hell out of it. Men's and women's. Internet broadcasting of any/every match on ESPN3.com has really increased my fandom of these two sports --- gone are the days when you only get to watch what's scheduled on the teevee.

Not really. I'll occasionally watch other sports, but I really don't have a stake in anything but Bills football. I'm a bandwagon OU, OSU, and TU fan in any sport, and I am rooting for OkSt to win their first championship, but I've watched them maybe 30 minutes so far this year.

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land

Obviously i'm a fan of the Bills and the NFL in general. I went to PSU (not main campus), so I'll watch them play a few games a year. I do watch some of the bowl games as well. I enjoy Sabres hockey, but don't watch any other NHL games if it isn't the Sabres. Other then that maybe winter Olympics Curling.

Edited by muffmonster

I love sports. I think it is the only thing real on TV nowadays. With that being saidn I could care less about the NBA & really do not get into the Sabres until the playoffs. I love College Football but my favorite sport is College Basketball. I just think it is so interesting & for my money the best sporting event of the year is the NCAA Tournament. I get into baseball but I don't watch a game from start to finish. I like throwing the game on in the background on a nice summer day & sitting by the pool & drinking a few beers.

The NFL I lov e but I have started to like college more over the last 3-4 years. I love the Bills but do not take the games as serious anymore. They were so uncompetitive, last weeks loss did not bother me one bit.

Actually I disagree with the OP. I love the Bills like an immediate family member and always will, but I'm not nearly into the NFL as much as I used to be. Like after the game on Sunday, I turned the TV off and didn't pay any attention to the late games whatsoever. Instead I cranked some Neil Young in the backyard and raked leaves for three hours. As a league in general, I am way more interested in the NHL right now. I used to love football so much, but the constant over-analysis, hearing people call into call in shows to ask the radio host who they should start at receiver on their fantasy football team, Jon Gruden saying that he likes to call Peyton Manning "The Sheriff," hearing people at my work who don't know anything about football talking about their 3rd and 4th fantasy football rosters, I just can't take it anymore. Although I wouldn't miss a second of any playoff game.

Yeah. Scandle happens everywhere. Sports is no different. You need to resolve it and move on. I still LOVE watching the Penguins (4 goals in 3rd vs. Colorado), Pirates, SU Basketball, and SU Lax.

SU Basketball looks set for a final 4 run.

Baseball - Texas Rangers

If the NBA never had another game it wouldn't bother me.

I don't do hockey.

I don't like college football because there's too many blowouts and no playoffs.

Go BILLS !!

Could you imagine if College Football had playoffs this year. Would be a great bracket.

Edited by RyanC883

-I will watch any NFL game there is of I have time no matter who is playing. But Bills are #1

-a huge sabres fan but I probably only watch half the games. Just not enough time. I will watch as many NHL playoff games as possible, but regular season non-sabres games are boring.

-I will watch any D1 college football game as long as I've heard of both teams. I root for Texas Longhorns, I know a guy that plays for them. Before him it was Ohio State and of course I (kinda) like Syracuse when they don't suck <----- bandwagon!

-I will watch as many yankees games as I can, as long as it's only the 9th inning. As far as other games? I only watch after the 7th inning in certain playoff games, even then it's boring.

-Basketball??? Mehhh.. I will only watch when it's the finals and Bostons not playing.

-Every other sport pretty much doesn't exist to me.

I love sports in general but the Bills are it. My sports allegiance lies within the cities I have lived in and actually have gone to games on a regular basis. Football-Bills and Redskins, Basketball- Washington Wizards, Hockey - Sabres and the Caps somewhat, Baseball - Baltimore Orioles. After growing up in Buffalo the Bills are the clear favorite of all of the teams. No team makes me happier or pisses me off more than the Bills. College sports doesn't cut it unless we are talking the championship games. I am a boxing fan but there is no one out there now that is worth a damn especially in the Heavyweight division.

Edited by VADC Bills

meeting my *now* wife and getting married changed my sports viewing habits. i watch every bills game without question, but i don't even care about what happens in the nfc anymore. and i barely watch the playoffs til the conference championship. even then i just have it on in the background.

I wonder if that's getting married or getting older. I'm not married but in my 30's now, I feel better about my life having stopped pretending to care about college football the last couple years. I mean really why waste a Saturday afternoon watching Michigan vs Illinois. Winner might go to the Outback Bowl - yipee! And the championship game is determined by God knows what - GTFO.

It's really just Bills & SU hoops for the diehard in me, with some fairweather Sabres/Phillies/SU football mixed in.

Honestly, I am a huge hockey and NFL fan, simply because we have teams that play those sports, but when the Bills bail on the city, I will have watched my last game of NFL football, I simply could care less who wins a league where we don't have a horse in the race.

NBA, college football, MLB i really could care less, and absolutely don't watch any of those games ever. I have a mild curiosity for the Yankees, but that's more attributed to playing little league baseball as a kid, and thought Don Mattingly was the shizzle.

+1. I want the NBA to die quickly so I don't have to see it in passing. It's been so nice so far to not have to watch news replays revolving around this bunch of hoop-grabbing thugs. Basketball changed irrevocably when they refused to raise the rim. Guys don't have to be good shooters now.

For MLB (Red Sox) and the NHL (Sabres) I assert the notion that I am a fan of these teams. But w/o cable and enough time in the day, I just rarely get to watch the games. And with one-hundred-sixty-something and 80-something games, respectively, missing each game doesn't mean so much like it is to miss a football game. So, I'm a fan, but I'm a fan by proxy --- browsing the ticker the next morning.

I am a fan of the tennis major events, especially as they broadcast Wimbledon and US Open during the week. I hate the rare scoring, the jumble of teams/conferences and the low meaning of league soccer matches. It seems like there's 60 'X Cup' matches a year; it's like every team wins a championship for participation. The $ politics of FIFA and the state of officiating leave me with the impression that it's all fixed. But when World Cup rolls around, I watch the hell out of it. Men's and women's. Internet broadcasting of any/every match on ESPN3.com has really increased my fandom of these two sports --- gone are the days when you only get to watch what's scheduled on the teevee.

It stinks when 5 out of the top 10 replays are dunks, but you're off base saying players are bad shooters. It's a soft argument because players are way better athletes today than they were 20 years ago. Pressure defense has changed everything, making the pure "spot-up" shooter a thing of the past. The best college shooters rarely ever make in in the NBA becuase they only bring a one facet to the game.

Regarding the OP, yes I love all sports. NBA, NCAA Hoops, NHL, MLB (playoffs), golf majors, tennis, you name it and I'll watch it.

Bills, Sabres, and Blue jays fan (no specific order. Could care less about watching teams or players in the NBA, Pro Golf, or any other sport, but I don't mind participating in some of them.

I kind of enjoy Auto racing (although I don't believe its a sport) but I'm not a huge fan of watching an entire race (except maybe the Indy 500) because I would rather be in the car driving then watching them go around in circles for a few hours

I try to attend a couple of games each year for those teams if I can. Thanks to the Bills hot start and now everyone thinking their tickets being sold on Ebay are valuable, I may not attend a Bills game this year though. One of the good things about the Bills bad play the last few years has been being able to buy multiple tickets being re-sold on Ebay for less then face value of one of the tickets, no everyone has their Buy It Now set above face value

Edited by apuszczalowski

NFL: Bills fan of course, I never miss a game. However, I do love the game of football and I will watch as much NFL football as possible.

College Football: Big fan of Michigan, but again I love the game so I will watch as much college ball as possible. I just hope that college will have a playoff system before I die.

Baseball: Love the Giants, but they are all I care about in baseball. As soon as they are out of playoff contention I lose interest.

Hockey: Huge Sharks fan, but they are all I watch.

Basketball. Don't give a damn about the NBA, but I love college, again a Michigan fan. Absolutely love March Madness.

Other sports: Not a fan of Golf, or Tennis, or Soccer. Not that big on Auto Racing, but I will watch the Indy 500. I watch all three legs of the Triple Crown in Horse Racing. I'd rather play Poker & Bowling instead of watching them. The Olympics are fun to watch.

Baseball will always be my favorite sport, but the Bills are the team I care about the most. I got into hockey about 7 years ago, though I'm not what you'd call passionate about it. I'm a golfer so I love to watch any Sunday round when the competition is good, but I don't really have a favorite player.

Nothing compares to the love I have for the Bills and NFL football...however, I do enjoy college basketball(Pitt), pro baseball (Braves), and pro basketball(Suns). However, if I couldn't watch any of those it wouldn't hurt me like if there was no pro football....I was terrified about the lockout....couldn't really give two craps about this NBA lockout....

Love the NFL. Watch every game I can, especially AFC games, and have only missed one Bills game in two years (out of disgust last year in the second week after they started Edwards).

As for college football, and a Georgia alum, not really a fan, but I do watch key SEC matchups and a bowl game or two.

Haven't watched an NBA game in years. Zero interest.

Hockey--not into it but appreciate the game. Love live games. Don't know anything about the Sabres. Grew up with my family watching the Rangers.

Baseball--World Series only, and only if it's good, like this past one. I'd like to get more into the Braves, but haven't had that drive like I do with the NFL. Mostly because of the lackluster fanbase for professional teams in Atlanta, I think. If I lived in Boston or NY, I'd probably be into baseball a lot more.

Oh, and tennis--great game to play but watching it nowadays is boring IMO. Just power shots and too few volleys. 80s were better.

Haven't seen anyone mention soccer. That's awesome. :thumbsup:

Edited by JustinAtlanta

Huge Bills and NFL fan. I'll always watch the Bills games even when they stink.

- Huge Sabres and hockey fan but rarely have time to watch an entire game live. I always DVR the Sabres and watch the games in about 30 mins (fast forwarding to the good parts)

- Like College football and will have it on if I'm near a TV on Saturday's.

- Like College hoops

- Like Baseball but hardly ever watch a full live game

- Hate the NBA and don't care if they ever play again.

Hockey was my first love in sports, but football gets most of my attention these days due to the fact that its so easy to follow. 16 games, they all matter, typically Sunday at 1PM, everyone loves football so I can talk football at work, and of course fantasy football is a good time.

I watch playoffs, championships, bowl games of pretty much any sporting event of major significance. Olympics, World Cup, golf majors, etc. Any sporting event of magnitude I can easily get caught up in the moment and emotion of and become a diehard fan for a few hours.

Although I love hockey, 82 games is just too much. No particular game means anything until after the all star break and the play often reflects that fact. So it pretty much takes a interesting story or something out of the ordinary to get me to put the work down, and devote my weeknight to non-playoff hockey. Like next Wednesday vs. the Bruins, I've cleared my schedule for that one.

I care somewhat about the Sabres...and a bit about the oakland As..But thats about it aside from the Bills.

If it doesn't involve these 3 teams I couldn't care less.

Edited by Tcali

I'm SO HAPPY the NBA lockout continues... great stuff. It gives the NHL more exposure :)

I must say, this is a very good and interesting topic. Along with being a diehard Bills fan, I love me some SU Hoops(almost forced to living in Syracuse), but it stops there. The NBA is beyond a joke. SU football is kind of take it or leave it. I also can't get enough of the Sabres. I don't do Baseball, Soccer, Tennis, Golf, NASCAR, Boxing, MMA, PBA(lol)...not even the Olympics anymore...